Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
I guess it's like trying to find all secret areas in games like DOOM, you're not supposed to find them all by playing normally, they're secrets, they were never meant to be the main focus of the game

You can tell when a game was made with achievement hunting in mind when most of achievement are like that, mostly story related and you get them by playing the game normally, that's how a like to be honest

SFA was such a tragic case, the game didn't do too well despite being arguably one of the best games in the series, SFA was the closest the series got have a natural evolution, to finally leave Starfox 64 behind, SFA has the best artstyle in the series, a somewhat more serious story and better dialog and voice acting, making the game feel a bit more serious leaving that saturday morning cartoon feel behind, sadly since the game ditched the whole "choose your route" mechanic, had only 3 rail shooter missions and the rest were on foot, and ground missions were repetitive as hell, that ended up alienating a lot of people, too bad because i would love to see another Starfox with ground combat

To be fair, i can't say i blame Nintendo for being hesitant to make another F-Zero, yes there is a lot of people online who claim they'd love another game, but how many of the people would actually buy the game?

Most games in the 8-bat era are flat out obsolete nowadays, not only because they're outclassed by newer entries in their respective series, but by competent indies as well, i mean, what's the point of playing games like the original Metroid nowadays, when Zero Mission, Super, Fussion and AM2R already exist? not to mention the tons of metroidvanias on Steam, hell i'd dare to say that even the most generic and by the numbers 5 dollar metroidvania on Steam is better than the original Metroid because most of them at the very least have a map and a save feature, things that the original Metroid didn't have
hey look man any game i can play as Slippy Toad in a shooter type scenario is alright in my book.

Especially since it had pvp for fun.

• Feels
Reactions: Medafag

Basil II

my dimension is augmented
kiwifarms.net
Most games in the 8-bat era are flat out obsolete nowadays, not only because they're outclassed by newer entries in their respective series, but by competent indies as well, i mean, what's the point of playing games like the original Metroid nowadays, when Zero Mission, Super, Fussion and AM2R already exist? not to mention the tons of metroidvanias on Steam, hell i'd dare to say that even the most generic and by the numbers 5 dollar metroidvania on Steam is better than the original Metroid because most of them at the very least have a map and a save feature, things that the original Metroid didn't have
Agree wholeheartedly, I tried to play Super Mario Bros on MESEN a few days ago and it was so boring, it felt like a flashgame from 15 years ago.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Agree wholeheartedly, I tried to play Super Mario Bros on MESEN a few days ago and it was so boring, it felt like a flashgame from 15 years ago.
It doesn't take long to beat legitimately

I played through Super Mario brothers 1-3 and each could be beaten fully in a few hours at most. World is longer but it has saves built in. For World I unlocked all areas, all stages, and all pathways. Yoshi's Island is shorter than SMW but quite a bit.

What is a marathon though is getting to the Duck Hunt Killscreen(which at that point is what's considered the ending to Duck Hunt and how you actually Beat Duck Hunt). that takes many hours to see all 100 levels.

Basil II

kiwifarms.net
It doesn't take long to beat legitimately

I played through Super Mario brothers 1-3 and each could be beaten fully in a few hours at most. World is longer but it has saves built in. For World I unlocked all areas, all stages, and all pathways. Yoshi's Island is shorted than SMW but quite a bit.

What is a marathon though is getting to the Duck Hunt Killscreen(which at that point is what's considered the ending to Duck Hunt and how you actually Beat Duck Hunt). that takes many hours to see all 100 levels.
It's not long but it's too simple that it just bores me playing it tbh.

Thomas Talus

kiwifarms.net
Tetra Master is a far superior card game to Triple Triad.

I fucking hate Triple Triad. It's the big reason I never got far in FF8 because I want to break the game and gain godlike powers on the first disc, but it's not worth suffering through hours of Triple Triad.

Tetra Master is at least fun to fuck around with. I kinda like how you can just approach strangers and play a card game that, while it doesn't accomplish anything, is addictive as hell. At least there, I don't feel obligated to keep doing it to obtain insanely broken spells and weapons.
Gwent is superior to both.

Medafag

> tfw no big tiddy elf gf :c
kiwifarms.net
I managed to beat Super Mario Bros (the All Stars version) but i can't say i had fun with it, i never got used to the physics, it didn't help either that i played Super Wario World before it

Basil II

kiwifarms.net
I managed to beat Super Mario Bros (the All Stars version) but i can't say i had fun with it, i never got used to the physics, it didn't help either that i played Super Wario World before it
Is Super Mario World better? I imagine since it's on the SNES it can be a bit more complex and fun.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
The All-Stars version has some funky physics compared to the original, especially when you break blocks and Mario just kinda hovers there for half a second where in the original Mario quickly goes back down. The original's controls are stiff I'll admit, but the All-Stars version feels off to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Medafag

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The All-Stars version has some funky physics compared to the original, especially when you break blocks and Mario just kinda hovers there for half a second where in the original Mario quickly goes back down. The original's controls are stiff I'll admit, but the All-Stars version feels off to me.
It also depends on which Allstars Version you're talking about.

The original Allstars cart and Allstars+SMW have many differences in the games, including having some entirely different sprites.

• Agree
Reactions: DuckSucker

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
SMW is probably on par with SMB3 in terms of best 2D mario game.
I think SMB3 edges out SMW with it's powerups. SMW has Cape Mario, who can fly indefinitely by default if you're good, Fire Mario, and Yoshi, who has minor sub-abilities depending on what color Koopa shell it's sucking on (unless you use Star Road to go to a level with a different color Yoshi).

SMB3 on the other hand, in addition to the staple Fire Mario, has Leaf Mario (can fly briefly), Tanooki Mario (can fly and briefly turn into a statue), P-Wing (can fly indefinitely through a level unless you take a hit), Frog Mario (easy underwater maneuvering), and Hammer Mario (throws hammers and can deflect fireballs). Everything but Racoon Leafs and Fire Flowers come in limited supplies, so finding one of the others is a real treat.

AsbestosFlaygon

It's never over when I'm here
kiwifarms.net
I think SMB3 edges out SMW with it's powerups. SMW has Cape Mario, who can fly indefinitely by default if you're good, Fire Mario, and Yoshi, who has minor sub-abilities depending on what color Koopa shell it's sucking on (unless you use Star Road to go to a level with a different color Yoshi).

SMB3 on the other hand, in addition to the staple Fire Mario, has Leaf Mario (can fly briefly), Tanooki Mario (can fly and briefly turn into a statue), P-Wing (can fly indefinitely through a level unless you take a hit), Frog Mario (easy underwater maneuvering), and Hammer Mario (throws hammers and can deflect fireballs). Everything but Racoon Leafs and Fire Flowers come in limited supplies, so finding one of the others is a real treat.
But while World has few power ups it at least means you're going to use them all extensively. While rarity makes them feel more special in 3 it also mean you're not gonna be using them all a whole lot as they aren't really required. It's like saying Twilight Princess is better than Breath of the Wild because it has more items, it has more variety for sure, that doesn't mean it's using them more effectively necessarily.

Dysnomia

Party like it's COVID-1999
kiwifarms.net
The bump system in the older incarnations of Ys 1, 2 and 4 is not that bad. Just don't ram Adol into enemies head on. You are supposed to attack from the side or back. Once you get the hang of it the whole thing isn't that bad. In tight corridors it's a pain in the ass. But you can always use magic.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hope Elden Ring speeds up the combat. After platinuming Nioh 2 I tried to go back to Dark Souls 3 and I just can't. It's so fucking clunky and slow.

The Shadow

I am NOT a crackpot.
kiwifarms.net
The bump system in the older incarnations of Ys 1, 2 and 4 is not that bad. Just don't ram Adol into enemies head on. You are supposed to attack from the side or back. Once you get the hang of it the whole thing isn't that bad. In tight corridors it's a pain in the ass. But you can always use magic.
I actually love the bump system and prefer it over the Zelda slash system.

Reactions: Bender

St8Bustah

分かりませんwwwww
kiwifarms.net
I hope Elden Ring speeds up the combat. After platinuming Nioh 2 I tried to go back to Dark Souls 3 and I just can't. It's so fucking clunky and slow.
NioH and NioH2 are all the proof you need that souls doesn't need to have unresponsive combat in order to work as a souls game. I've had a far greater time with the NioH series than I have playing any of FromSoft's games, even Bloodborne, as a result of koei tecmo actually understanding how to program in animation cancels and low-latency button response times.

The joke is, NioH is actually a much harder game series as all the enemies are just as fast as you are, but in all honesty it works in the game's favour as it keeps that constant sense of tension high due to the combat having a much faster pace.

Reactions: Sexyphobe

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
NioH and NioH2 are all the proof you need that souls doesn't need to have unresponsive combat in order to work as a souls game. I've had a far greater time with the NioH series than I have playing any of FromSoft's games, even Bloodborne, as a result of koei tecmo actually understanding how to program in animation cancels and low-latency button response times
To a lesser extent Code Vein too. The future of Soulsborne games is in faster more responsive combat. I'm actually a little worried that Fromsoft is going to ignore all the positive innovations other developers made to their formula and Elden Ring will suffer for it.

Reactions: Sexyphobe

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
To a lesser extent Code Vein too. The future of Soulsborne games is in faster more responsive combat. I'm actually a little worried that Fromsoft is going to ignore all the positive innovations other developers made to their formula and Elden Ring will suffer for it.
The bosses were not the hard part about Soulsborne. It's the item collecting.

• Agree
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole