Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
My unpopular opinion is that i find open worlds boring and just a fetch quest marathon. I didn't like that formula with WOW, didn't like it with Vice city or San Andreas, The first Assassins Creed made me quit games for a long time, years later i still find the formula boring no matter how much leet graphics and money developers are investing in always making the same game. Current mainstream gaming is split mostly in competitive multiplayer online games and open worlds but i just wanna grill and have comfy and fully fleshed out single player experiences even if it means more linearity. I don't care about every game being minecraft or crafting items from 999 parts thrown around in miles of copy pasted terrain. I feel customization and open worldness usually water down the actual gameplay and potential of the narrative to fit in the generic template of the gta or wow clone.

I hope Elden Ring speeds up the combat. After platinuming Nioh 2 I tried to go back to Dark Souls 3 and I just can't. It's so fucking clunky and slow.
I wished From simply moved away from souls likes even making new games that don't revolve around just action based combat. Souls are cool but i kinda had enough of that, i wish they came up with something new and trippy in other genres like they used to when they still made games like kuon or Evergrace . They are fantastic with worldbuiding and level design, their concepts are dope, they could tackle different genres if they wanted to.

Sekiro was a huge dissapointment, i thought they were maybe going to do a legit Tenchu remake with full stealth mechanics but nah, they did another soulslike with jump physics and shallow stealth because although stealthing feels really "cool" and all is mostly for aesthetics because every enemy beyond grunt level has two health bars and you will still have to fight them head on.

Before Souls games they had like a million mecha games, they milk the cow dry when is ripe so i don't have the highest hopes for elder ring, it might be just "open world dark souls + one extra mechanic maybe", eventually though that might change for that company.

The joke is, NioH is actually a much harder game series as all the enemies are just as fast as you are, but in all honesty it works in the game's favour as it keeps that constant sense of tension high due to the combat having a much faster pace.
I found both Nioh and Sekiro much harder than dark souls games by far. Precisely because of that fast paced combat, in dark souls you just adjust your build and tank all the way through obstacles if you don't like that kind of reflex based gameplay.

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
Crying about Nintendo and its fanbase repeatedly is as autistic as being one of those spergy fans. Pretending that only Nintendo has a problem with consoomers is disingenuous. Retards still went out to buy TLoU2 and have their wallets poised to drop (probably) $500+ dollars on a PS5 day one.

Every person should have expected DQ11 to fail on Switch because it's a boring-looking generic JRPG that was already out for 2+ years on the PS4 at the time it came out on Switch. It had next to no ability to capture a new audience. Pooping something onto the Switch isn't guaranteed sales.

I hope Nintendo never makes another F-Zero because at some point the people still whining about it will just need to cope.

I don't give a shit about seeing 3D models and animations in combat, sprites look much much better than a meh 3D model that the team rushed through making because the game needs over 100 3D models made. If I want more JRPGs made (which I do), then production costs need to come down.

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Crying about Nintendo and its fanbase repeatedly is as autistic as being one of those spergy fans. Pretending that only Nintendo has a problem with consoomers is disingenuous. Retards still went out to buy TLoU2 and have their wallets poised to drop (probably) $500+ dollars on a PS5 day one.
Yeah, it's like all the Sony fans got collective amnesia and forgot how fucking expensive the Vita memory sticks were, and that they were required to play any games. Vita + Game + $30 for a 4GB memory stick that will only hold like two games is fine, $50 for an old game that had to be ported to new hardware? HIGHWAY ROBBERY!

ShortBusDriver

kiwifarms.net
Is Super Mario World better? I imagine since it's on the SNES it can be a bit more complex and fun.
I don't think I could go back and play Super Mario Bros, if I'm being honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of the game when it was new.

But Super Mario 2 and 3 are great and still playable.

• Autistic
Reactions: fag0t

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
I don't give a shit about seeing 3D models and animations in combat, sprites look much much better than a meh 3D model that the team rushed through making because the game needs over 100 3D models made. If I want more JRPGs made (which I do), then production costs need to come down.
Based on my limited understanding of 3D vs 2D models from talking with a friend who knows how to code. Aka take this with a heap of salt.

Depending on what level of detail you want it can arguably be easier to make a 3D game then using actual hand drawn sprites that are good quality. 3D assets are comparatively easy to use if you aren't going mega FFXV Square Enix vision level of detail or doing the Guilty Gear thing where you purposefully try to make your 3D models look 2D which requires specific drawing of frames and other weird stuff that can take an entire power point presentation to explain.

Also the skill sets aren't the same either because 2D animation, especially really good 2D animation, is basically like hand drawn animation while 3D animation is more about manipulation of the model which can be subtly changed. If you mess up a 2D frame (or several) you need to redraw the entire thing again from the point you messed up, if you mess up something in a 3D model you can tweak it as you go. Look at really smooth sprite animation and imagine how much effort it takes to draw all of that moving properly. This is why you might notice that anime likes using CGI in complicated scenes, because animating that shit in 2D is a pain in the ass if you want to do it right.

If you just want decent animation, that isn't terribly difficult for 3D models especially for JRPGs which can get away with a ton of stock animations and barely sync'd mouth movements (Like the Trails series or Bravely Default). Especially if you're trying to aim for a 60 fps standard for some reason, which you might if it isn't a turn based RPG, sprites need a new drawing literally every frame you use so just do the math. Think of Cuphead and how they had to hand draw everything. While that is a great level of detail even for a 2D game, you have to apply some level of care for every frame in a 2D animation unless you go for a very retro feel which doesn't have very smooth animation.

Sprites need to actually be drawn and animated more by hand then 3D models do (unless you want really good detail 3D models and animations) and it isn't always as easy to look "to standard" as a 3D game if you use sprites which can turn people off. Most JRPGs, especially niche ones, don't have that impressive 3D modeling detail compared to games with motion capture on every cutscene or flashy action games like Devil May Cry which arguably need to run at 60 FPS at all times to function properly. So I don't think it is fear of using 2D that is holding them back.

I'd argue based purely on speculation that Octopath took more effort to design and create visually then say Bravely Default 2 will because they had to actually design with more by hand care then 3D models need just to make Octopath stand out. Even then I saw people bitched endlessly about how Octopath looks like an indie game for 20 dollars instead of a full 60 dollar release.

ShortBusDriver

kiwifarms.net
Based on my limited understanding of 3D vs 2D models from talking with a friend who knows how to code. Aka take this with a heap of salt.

Depending on what level of detail you want it can arguably be easier to make a 3D game then using actual hand drawn sprites that are good quality. 3D assets are comparatively easy to use if you aren't going mega FFXV Square Enix vision level of detail or doing the Guilty Gear thing where you purposefully try to make your 3D models look 2D which requires specific drawing of frames and other weird stuff that can take an entire power point presentation to explain.

Also the skill sets aren't the same either because 2D animation, especially really good 2D animation, is basically like hand drawn animation while 3D animation is more about manipulation of the model which can be subtly changed. If you mess up a 2D frame (or several) you need to redraw the entire thing again from the point you messed up, if you mess up something in a 3D model you can tweak it as you go. Look at really smooth sprite animation and imagine how much effort it takes to draw all of that moving properly. This is why you might notice that anime likes using CGI in complicated scenes, because animating that shit in 2D is a pain in the ass if you want to do it right.

If you just want decent animation, that isn't terribly difficult for 3D models especially for JRPGs which can get away with a ton of stock animations and barely sync'd mouth movements (Like the Trails series or Bravely Default). Especially if you're trying to aim for a 60 fps standard for some reason, which you might if it isn't a turn based RPG, sprites need a new drawing literally every frame you use so just do the math. Think of Cuphead and how they had to hand draw everything. While that is a great level of detail even for a 2D game, you have to apply some level of care for every frame in a 2D animation unless you go for a very retro feel which doesn't have very smooth animation.

Sprites need to actually be drawn and animated more by hand then 3D models do (unless you want really good detail 3D models and animations) and it isn't always as easy to look "to standard" as a 3D game if you use sprites which can turn people off. Most JRPGs, especially niche ones, don't have that impressive 3D modeling detail compared to games with motion capture on every cutscene or flashy action games like Devil May Cry which arguably need to run at 60 FPS at all times to function properly. So I don't think it is fear of using 2D that is holding them back.

I'd argue based purely on speculation that Octopath took more effort to design and create visually then say Bravely Default 2 will because they had to actually design with more by hand care then 3D models need just to make Octopath stand out. Even then I saw people bitched endlessly about how Octopath looks like an indie game for 20 dollars instead of a full 60 dollar release.
All this is true, but I'd add that you can also use 3d models to make 2d sprites.

fright_fight_wolf_gif_0[1].gif

AsbestosFlaygon

It's never over when I'm here
kiwifarms.net
I hope Nintendo never makes another F-Zero because at some point the people still whining about it will just need to cope.
Honestly I think F-Zero dodged a bullet not coming out over during the Wii era. It would've been dumbed down a ton for the Wii, both due to the difficulty complaints from GX, as well as to use motion controls, and deal with lack of buttons. I don't see how F-Zero could've both capitalized on the Wii, and not piss away its fanbase.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
Honestly I think F-Zero dodged a bullet not coming out over during the Wii era. It would've been dumbed down a ton for the Wii, both due to the difficulty complaints from GX, as well as to use motion controls, and deal with lack of buttons. I don't see how F-Zero could've both capitalized on the Wii, and not piss away its fanbase.
The Nintendo Land minigame gave us a glimpse into an alternate timeline when you think of it that way.

Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, it's like all the Sony fans got collective amnesia and forgot how fucking expensive the Vita memory sticks were, and that they were required to play any games. Vita + Game + $30 for a 4GB memory stick that will only hold like two games is fine, $50 for an old game that had to be ported to new hardware? HIGHWAY ROBBERY!
TBF given how quickly Sony buried it I'm not surprised people forgot the Vita.

St8Bustah

分かりませんwwwww
kiwifarms.net
I actually own an OG vita and it's unironically one of my favourite consoles with one of the best handheld lineups out there. If Sony had given it more attention it would have only gotten better, but here we are.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbanmech

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
OK so I have now played and beaten every single Senran Kagura game released in the US and watched the anime in it's entirety.

The series deserves to stay fucking dead. It's clear whatever creative vision the series may have had at the start warped into a tedious dull mess that never manages to soar above a C-.

Now out of all the games I think Deep Crimson 2 and Bon Appetit are probably the "best" but that's not saying much. The whole deal about secret societies/secret schools in the modern world has been done better. I mean even a certain magical index/a certain scientific railgun did it better.

And yeah I played Burst Re:newal to completion and despite the dressing room touching being removed it still didn't take anything major away from the game itself. Mostly because the gameplay is shit and that's above and beyond what hurts the series the most, is that no thought was put into how the games plays and how they should have tried to improve the brawler combat and mission structure in general. 90% of the missions in the games(that are not Bon Appetit since that's a musical/rhythm game) are kill trash until boss appears. Experience is also usually not shared between characters so you're going to need to grind up everyone a dozen+ times usually because specific characters are locked into story missions. It would have probably served them better to try and just copy the Naruto Ninjastorm games and make it an arena fighter rather than a dynasty warriors clone because that would have removed most of the tedium if it was just a series of 1 vs 1 matches. Or fuck have gone full Powerstone if they had a creative iota in their whole development team. Everything that senran kagura has done, other games have done better, including the fan service.

Yeah people will spout the whole "tits are life but Ass is Hometown" but the fucking tits in the game are pretty bad, and the ass is like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster where it's non-existent and people keep trying to make you believe it exists. All the girls have the same flat fucking ass, there's maybe 2-4 bodytypes in the whole series and all the asses are the same hank hill type ass.

There's also the fact that the same artist who draws Senran kagura does Evanicle which is getting a sequel soon and that's got better more throughout gameplay than Senran Kagura and Evenicle 2 got a real deal AO rating with a physical AO rated release soon to follow. I mean yeah it shows a woman getting her body split in half by a giant ogre dick like Bone Tomahawk and her entrails being strewn all over the shaft like spaghetti. But it at least shows an attention to detail and a desire to push the envelope that's sorely lacking from the whole SK series.

The anime is garbage all the way through. You would think they would be able to tell a story now that the shackles of gameplay are no longer binding them but the episodes come off worse than what was put into the games. It's no wonder it fucking nosedived in japan and Hurt Marvelous/XSeed just as much as BIGGEST DUB EVER, the anime is multiple hours of nothing interesting happening and even the characters are all 1 dimensional garnage. Nothing and nobody comes off as endearing or interesting.

I would even go as far as to say that UNIST has a better fucking story and characters and with Evo being dead nobody is going to play Under Night In-Birth in America now.

Last edited:

The Last Stand

I need more gin.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I enjoyed Saints Row 3 more than Saints Row 2. Both are good games, but I had more fun being in the wackier world that was Steelport. Saints Row 2 staked out a good middle ground between wacky and serious story compared to GTA, but I wanted more laughs which is what I got out of 3. I admit I did play 3 first so that may curved my opinion a bit.
Agreed. Saints Row 2 felt too much like GTA. Not a bad game, definitely not. But SR3 was unique and over the top enough to be a great GTA alternative. I started with Saints Row 3 as well, so you could say there's a bias.

You can tell when a game was made with achievement hunting in mind when most of achievements are like that, mostly story related and you get them by playing the game normally, that's how a like it to be honest
I've touched on this before, I'll say it again. I love that achievements are implemented in consoles now. More reason to play the games you love. But developers need to implement them better. I see achievements that are like "Drive X km" or "Play for X hours." That's just lazy and can be a grind.

Multiplayer achievements are a mixed bag. I love being rewarded for skill or perseverance for playing online against other players. But, if the population staggers or if the servers are down, they're practically impossible to obtain. But when you do before that, it's more special.

But leaderboard achievements, fuck that shit.

Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Multiplayer achievements are a mixed bag. I love being rewarded for skill or perseverance for playing online against other players. But, if the population staggers or if the servers are down, they're practically impossible to obtain. But when you do before that, it's more special.

But leaderboard achievements, fuck that shit.
RDR2 players are told to join a hacked/modified lobby so they could reach 50 much easier than putting up with the grind.

If a game has a major multiplayer component I avoid them because when they get taken offline it almost always causes the single player experience to suffer to some extent.

• Informative
Reactions: The Last Stand

The Last Stand

I need more gin.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If a game has a major multiplayer component I avoid them because when they get taken offline it almost always causes the single player experience to suffer to some extent.
NBA 2K is one such example. They introduced VC, virtual currency, into the game which you have to pay for or grind. It's integrated into the single player. Once the servers close, you play a gimped version of that game. VC is used for cosmetics AND progression. Literally pay to win.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
NBA 2K is one such example. They introduced VC, virtual currency, into the game which you have to pay for or grind. It's integrated into the single player. Once the servers close, you play a gimped version of that game. VC is used for cosmetics AND progression. Literally pay to win.
Yeah I know it's why I avoid sports games.

I had a small interest in the modern NBA games when I saw the cover for 2K20 and I thought they were going to go for fantasy arenas or like a retrowave style for the game.
nba2kcover.jpg

But nope, despite the cool looking cover, there's no actual creativity being injected into the game. It's the same shit but now loaded with more bullshit.

The Last Stand

I need more gin.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I know it's why I avoid sports games.

I had a small interest in the modern NBA games when I saw the cover for 2K20 and I thought they were going to go for fantasy arenas or like a retrowave style for the game.
View attachment 1491868

But nope, despite the cool looking cover, there's no actual creativity being injected into the game. It's the same shit but now loaded with more bullshit.
You think that's bad? Oh boy...

Look at NBA 2K21.
Screenshot_2020_07_02_at_14.51.05.png

The base next-gen version will be $70 AND won't even come to the PC. Want to buy the current-gen version, pop it on your Xbox Series X and upgrade to the next-gen version via Smart Delivery? NOPE! Buy the $100 version to get a copy of the base edition for next gen.

Sports games DO NOT deserve the $70 price hike, especially when they'll have microtransactions and next year's version will make this one obsolete.

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
Star Fox Games aren't that good.
Ill one up you and say that Star Fox Assault was one of the better titles in the series, probably even equal with the untouchable Star Fox 64. It was the switch up that that series needed, and a return to form that people wanted after Star Fox Adventure. Fans shit on it, leading to the rehashed shit that refuses to budge from formula that the series is today, where it mostly relies on gimmicks and the game is mostly throwbacks to SF64 and terrified to get away from the "on rails shooter".

The "well it can only have like 5 or 6 levels and youre supposed to play it multiple times and get multiple paths and endings and go for a high score, its a throwback to arcade style games of the SNES era" also kind of sucks and hinders it, especially Assault, which could have done more with what it had with more missions. I liked it, but I remember renting it and beating it in like 4 days of my 5 day rental and being like, "Welp." I wasnt even playing it that much, I dont know if there are different paths.

I remember having fun with the different modes: the flying, the tank, and even run-n-gun even though it was trashed for not being perfectly executed. It was basically the level of accuracy Goldeneye had due to the limits of the N64 controller, where you kind of just aim in the general direction of the guy and the bullet hitbox is so huge even if you hit the wall beside him, hell probably die, but the Starfox Assault is in 3rd person. I dont remember how the camera controlled but I remember the Gamecube controller had the same problem, the c-stick wasnt ever used as a second joystick to control the camera like with modern games, but I dont remember having trouble with the camera in that game.

Kind of like how at the time fans shit all over Wind Waker, coming up with names like Kidtendo and Lamecube and writing letters to Nintendo Power that were literally "YOU SUCK, YOUR GAMES ARE FOR BABIES IM LEAVING TO THE PS2 BECAUSE THEY HAVE COOL GAMES FOR ADULTS LIKE FFX"--which led to the next game, Twilight Princess to be a bland, by the numbers, boring, "dark, edgy" Zelda trying to re-create Ocarina of Time. I would say Skyward Sword wasnt well received either but I think that was for other reasons, not that it was "by the books" but I never played it. But I do imagine it was the standard 3 dungeon->8 dungeon progression, or just the 8 dungeons themselves. And then Nintendo started getting bashed for its games being too formulaic.

Last edited:

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
Video games are better when their replayability value comes from their gameplay. Making a 120 hour game like Witcher 3 is great and all and can be a nice 120 hours. But after those 120 hours the game is over. When the appeal of the game is exploring the world and seeing the story, once you've seen it there's no point. There's nothing left.

But games like Devil May Cry, that are on the surface short, but have hundreds of hours of replayability through the sheer depth of the gameplay? That's what I feel good games should strive for. Because if you're not returning for the gameplay, what's the fucking point?

One of my favorite games recently is Outerwilds, I think the game is fantastic and has some of the tightest writing I've ever seen. But it's a mystery. Now that I've solved it. It's over. I have no reason to ever play it again. And that's a bit disappointing.

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
Really? I guess this is an unpopular opinion because I actually bought Octopath because of the art style. I guess Im also a sucker for pixel style and I liked the 3D-pixel mashup, and the weird bloom effect gave it a sense of atmosphere to me. I like turn based RPGs and its not the only one around, but those are fewer and fewer, and I dont really like the mobile-game Chinese/Korean software-factory MMO aesthetic with the "chibi" 3D models of games like Bravely Default.

When I played it, I actually got kinda bored of it and the plot itself, I didnt get too much further than Ch 2 of each character because while I thought it looked cool, and it's fun in bursts, the battle system is kinda cool, the stories are kind of shallow and the 8 people and their stories dont really interact in any meaningful way. They have a few moments where you can unlock a scene where some of them have a little "Tales of" series type vignette but other than that you really are just playing 8 different stories with people who happen to meet up and travel together across the continent.

It kind of reminds me of an old ROM I played called "Live A Live" which was an SNES game where you play 9 different characters in 9 different eras, and I think the end may have something that brings all the stories together, but I never played that far.

Also Im a little butthurt that people are calling an actual unique, new game (in a time when people are lamenting the "gaming scene" at least outside of indies and Steam/PC, as being nothing but rehashes, remasters, and ports) a 20 dollar indie shovelware type piece of shit, when theyre willing to pay 40 or even 60 for a genuine "remaster" of old games like Spongebob, which had a ton of flaws, from what Im told.