Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

X-Shaped Weeaboo

Not another anime avatar!
kiwifarms.net
One on fighting games.

Killer Instinct is how modern fighting games should be designed. Too much emphasis on big-dick, million hit combos ends up with boring neutrals and repetitive gameplay that doesn't have a lot of reward or incentive to play outside of esports factor. Rather than having an emphasis on combos, Killer Instinct's auto-combos means the game can focus on individual interactions between each character, give them unique tools to handle different situations, and place an important on understanding the game's pacing and mechanics.

The brain is a muscle, and actively using it in the middle of matches rather than just memorizing repetitive combos for hours on end is more skill-intensive than people give it credit for.

StraightShooter2

kiwifarms.net
So I just finished the Super Mario Galaxy games for the first time.

Some people criticized the plot of the games and said that it was confusing or made no sense - but to me it made sense enough. Here's the summary:

"Mario defeats Bowser (in SMG1) and takes his last Grand Star, but this causes Bowser's galaxy to explode. Rosalina and the Lumas use their power to save Mario and Peach, however this causes some type of "rift" in the "time-space continuum" and sends everyone back to the Mushroom Kingdom as though the events of the game had never happened. (Mario is the only one who remembers Rosalina or any of the events which had occurred.

In SMG2, the festival occurs and Bower's plot plays out again as though the events of SMG1 hadn't happened, however the adventure plays out slightly differently due to Rosalina's power having altered time and space."

Bender

Bender Bee Rodriguez
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I just finished the Super Mario Galaxy games for the first time.

Some people criticized the plot of the games and said that it was confusing or made no sense - but to me it made sense enough. Here's the summary:

"Mario defeats Bowser (in SMG1) and takes his last Grand Star, but this causes Bowser's galaxy to explode. Rosalina and the Lumas use their power to save Mario and Peach, however this causes some type of "rift" in the "time-space continuum" and sends everyone back to the Mushroom Kingdom as though the events of the game had never happened. (Mario is the only one who remembers Rosalina or any of the events which had occurred.

In SMG2, the festival occurs and Bower's plot plays out again as though the events of SMG1 hadn't happened, however the adventure plays out slightly differently due to Rosalina's power having altered time and space."
I just thought the plot was "Mario rescues peach from Bowser" both times. It's such a simple concept that it doesn't really get old, to be honest.

It's what I like the most about Mario games, that there's no real exploration of the story until you go out of your way to find it, but usually it's "rescue the princess".

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Despite it having a really dumb storyline and one of the most stupid plot twists in all of gaming, I actually think the 2009 Bionic Commando game was extremely underrated. At the very least, its swinging mechanics were quite thrilling, and it had a really awesome soundtrack.

The swinging was fun because it took skill and the player had to pay attention to the surroundings, but it could also feel a bit bullshit at time.

That game was plagued by development issues. Things were always changing, the lead game designer had a new idea that meant redoing things constantly. This made it plagued by delays and it cost Capcom a ton of money until they set their foot down and forced a release date on them. GRIN had very talented developers so they actually managed to wrap it up but you can feel that the game is a bit undercooked.
Halo was renowned for its world building, enemy designs and gunplay but it seems the only thing other FPS developers took from it is the regenerating health and 2-weapon limit crap.
You forget the grenade and melee buttons and very generous auto-saving checkpoints instead of manual saves. Regenerating shields was a necessity for these kinds of checkpoints, it's a really bad idea to lock people into a sliver of health and they have to run into a room full of enemies.

If you want to play a game that did it the wrong way then play Bungie's Oni. It had a very similar checkpoint system(the guys that programmed the system for Oni was actually moved over to do the same in Halo CE which was a worrying sign) but Oni didn't have regenerating health. And it didn't always consider the current situation when saving. In one section I had no health and jump-kicked my way through a door hoping to get the drop on whoever was in there and it was the boss who punched me out of the air and I died. It auto-loads me into mid jump-kick going through the door and the same thing happens, endlessly, it loops a 1-2 second sequence where I die and couldn't do anything about it. That was the last time I played Oni.
I know the "X game is great its just not a good Y-like game" arguement is somewhat dumb, but I actually had fun playing Nuts & Bolts, being able to build the most retarded contraptions/vehicles my autistic brain could come up with was fun, it is a fun racing/crafting game sure it has its issues but it was I think a first of its kind back in 2008, the biggest problem is that it sucks as a Banjo Kazooie sequel
Nuts & Bolts was fun but it really clicked and became fantastic when I realized that just because everyone is using car-likes in this race that doesn't mean that I have to do it. I can potentially just build some barely controllable flying boat and play it my way. It's much more a very creative DIY Diddy Kong Racing than a B&K sequel.
Makes sense of course that the gameplay feels clunky now, since this was such an early 3D game. I think it's still fondly remembered mainly because of the excellent presentation. This was the Zelda game that made Hyrule really feel alive and fleshed out. When the later games get compared to this one it's mainly the story elements and world building that are brought up.
Metal Gear Solid was released before it and it still plays well. They are very different games of course but both it and OOT had lots of new ideas when it comes to gameplay ideas and presentation.

JamesFargo

Every word I say spells "fuck you" as an anagram.
kiwifarms.net
Killer Instinct is how modern fighting games should be designed.
KI is also user-friendly, from what I've seen.

I never pulled off combos in any fighting game when it mattered. And I no longer care to learn. Some peoples' brains are not built for hair-trigger combos. I want to improvise and invent new strategies on the fly.

Hot take: Catering to the eSports crowd has devalued fighters. The same autistic mob will "solve" the game, then move on to the next one. Sometimes within a week or two. So a lot of games don't have any presence in the tournament scene.

Stalphos Johnson

Very Spooky
kiwifarms.net
You forget the grenade and melee buttons and very generous auto-saving checkpoints instead of manual saves. Regenerating shields was a necessity for these kinds of checkpoints, it's a really bad idea to lock people into a sliver of health and they have to run into a room full of enemies.

If you want to play a game that did it the wrong way then play Bungie's Oni. It had a very similar checkpoint system(the guys that programmed the system for Oni was actually moved over to do the same in Halo CE which was a worrying sign) but Oni didn't have regenerating health. And it didn't always consider the current situation when saving. In one section I had no health and jump-kicked my way through a door hoping to get the drop on whoever was in there and it was the boss who punched me out of the air and I died. It auto-loads me into mid jump-kick going through the door and the same thing happens, endlessly, it loops a 1-2 second sequence where I die and couldn't do anything about it. That was the last time I played Oni.
Good auto-saving and checkpoints is really underrated and is usually much better than manual saves. I just finished replaying the original Deus Ex, and the lack of autosaves could really screw me over at times. There was times where I could lose 30-45 minutes of progress in a level because I forgot to hit the quicksave button. Compare that to later action RPGs, like Fallout series, where you would get an autosave whenever the game loaded in a new area. A good autosave system also discourages save-scumming, at least for me, and can help you get really immersed in the game when you don't have to keep remembering to hit the quicksave button.

Calandrino

kiwifarms.net
Hot take: Catering to the eSports crowd has devalued fighters. The same autistic mob will "solve" the game, then move on to the next one. Sometimes within a week or two. So a lot of games don't have any presence in the tournament scene.
I think they're pandering as much to people who watch streams as the actual hardcore players. Combos and super-moves look cool, so they're emphasized. Similar cancer afflicts other genres of games: everything has to be Twitch-friendly. High level fighting game players seem to hate what they play half the time, they have to go with what's hot whether they like it or not.

ArthuriusMartyrius

kiwifarms.net
A lot of the hate that Metroid: Other M gets is unwarranted. Like yeah, the voice acting is mostly shit and it sucks that you need to read supplementary material beforehand to fill in the gaps but it does actually make sense overall. It feels like a lot of the hate is just people's initial kneejerk reaction to it that they never got past.

And mind you, this is coming from someone who absolutely HATED Other M several years back.

JamesFargo

Every word I say spells "fuck you" as an anagram.
kiwifarms.net
Never got the praise for Okami and Beyond Good and Evil.
A time in the PS2's life cycle when devs were trying out new gimmicks and themes. Rockstar were a lot more adventurous, for instance.

I gave it a rent and was impressed, though I haven't replayed it. The soundtrack is definitely worth a look.

A lot of the hate that Metroid: Other M gets is unwarranted.
A lot of it stems from Adam who is basically a manga character nobody asked for.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Sweet dreams, shitbird.
kiwifarms.net
KI is also user-friendly, from what I've seen.

I never pulled off combos in any fighting game when it mattered. And I no longer care to learn. Some peoples' brains are not built for hair-trigger combos. I want to improvise and invent new strategies on the fly.

The more casual fighting games- Smash, and Netherrealm's games (a bit more complicated than Smash but with actual single player content unlike most Japanese fighters) seem to have broader appeal than the Street Fighters of the world nowadays.

I wish there were more fighting games that fundamentally rethought the genre like Bushido Blade though.

Last edited:

Mary the Goldsmith

kiwifarms.net
Nuts & Bolts was fun but it really clicked and became fantastic when I realized that just because everyone is using car-likes in this race that doesn't mean that I have to do it. I can potentially just build some barely controllable flying boat and play it my way. It's much more a very creative DIY Diddy Kong Racing than a B&K sequel.
Agreed, in the colisseum level, there is this really annoyng race with lots of obstacles, I had a car with foldable wings, and I used them to avoid one of the obstacles, then I realized the game does not penalize you at all for doing this, so I jsut kept flying, I loved that, but in turn hated the levels where they force you to use a premade vehicle.
A lot of the hate that Metroid: Other M gets is unwarranted. Like yeah, the voice acting is mostly shit and it sucks that you need to read supplementary material beforehand to fill in the gaps but it does actually make sense overall. It feels like a lot of the hate is just people's initial kneejerk reaction to it that they never got past.

And mind you, this is coming from someone who absolutely HATED Other M several years back.
gameplay wise I really liked Other M, the Ridley boss battle felt frenetic and was really memorable, I even like the special takedowns you can do on the enemies as it shows off how strong Samus is. I liked the concept of Samus limiting the use of her arsenal to minimze colateral damage (instead of just mysteriously losing all her items), but the fact that the game forces you to go trough lava zones without the Varia Suit and at no point Samus decides to activate it "Because Adam didn't authorize me uwu". and fucking Adam not authorizing it the minute you go trough the lava zone is stupid. But I'll agree that a large part of the hate it gets is unwarranted

Urbanmech

Got an AC 10 and not afraid to use it!
kiwifarms.net
The more casual fighting games- Smash, and Netherrealm's games (a bit more complicated than Smash but with actual single player content unlike most Japanese fighters) seem to have broader appeal than the Street Fighters of the world nowadays.

I wish there were more fighting games that fundamentally rethought the genre like Bushido Blade though.
They are too busy turning the Fighting Genre into the next Madden/Fifa series. I mean at this point any fighting game that comes out will have 5+ character DLCs and god knows how many costume ones.

Just Here for A and H

Has kink-shamed hundreds of people... to death.
kiwifarms.net
I'll even go far enough to say that Wings of Liberty wasn't even good.
It's story was horrible. As for the multiplayer, it was more fun than the expansions. The campaign gameplay was fun, even if it devolved into deathballs once you'd beaten it the first time. Hopefully Frost Giant - a new RTS studio composed of ex-Blizzard employees from both the Golden and Dark Age - will make something that's good in all areas, instead of just the 'making neat campaign upgrade and mission mechanics' area.