Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
kiwifarms.net
The two-weapon limit made sense for console shooters and actually made them playable during the early 2000s.

I've played the console ports of Doom 3 and Max Payne, and the weapon switching in those games is a nightmare. The inherent limitations of the controller made it nearly impossible to quickly switch out weapons on the fly in a heated situation. Doom 3 was especially bad since you're most likely going to be using the shotgun, and even with the quick-select feature it was annoying trying to switch to more powerful weapons like the rocket launcher and plasma gun; I don't even think I used the rocket launcher at all when I played the console version. And Max Payne was too fast-paced for the slow weapon switching to handle.

Meanwhile in games like Halo you just had to press a button and you're using the other weapon in your inventory. It keeps the pace going and you're not fumbling about trying to get the weapon you want out while enemies shoot you to pieces.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care much for two-weapon limits, especially in PC games, but there was a pragmatic reason it caught on in console shooters and I don't think enough people realize that.

albert chan

Spanish women are the best.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have nothing against Mario & The Rabbids from the Rayman series, but it should have been Banjo and Kazooie teaming with Mario and Luigi in a crossover series for the Switch.

Just imagine those two different series having to save Princess Peach from being captured.

Mix Me a Molotov!

Singing in the Subway
kiwifarms.net
The Sega Saturn wasn’t as disastrous as it gets painted; at least in terms of some of its best games.

On any other system between late 90s and early 2000s, both Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun would be considered gaming landmark masterpieces. It was decades until I played a racing game with better handling than Sega Rally. All Capcom 2D fighters (SF Zero 1/2/3, Vampire Hunter/Saviour, X-Men COTA, all versus titles) were always better on the Saturn than on the PSX; same goes for Quake and Duke Nukem. Shining Force III (parts 1-3) are among the best RPGs I’ve ever played.

Oh Sega. Why oh why did you have to panic release the Saturn once the PS was in your rear-view mirrors. What could have been.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have nothing against Mario & The Rabbids from the Rayman series, but it should have been Banjo and Kazooie teaming with Mario and Luigi in a crossover series for the Switch.

Just imagine those two different series having to save Princess Peach from being captured.
Mario and Luigi reacting to the general weirdness of Banjo-Kazooie characters would be fun to see.

ArthuriusMartyrius

kiwifarms.net
It's story was horrible. As for the multiplayer, it was more fun than the expansions. The campaign gameplay was fun, even if it devolved into deathballs once you'd beaten it the first time. Hopefully Frost Giant - a new RTS studio composed of ex-Blizzard employees from both the Golden and Dark Age - will make something that's good in all areas, instead of just the 'making neat campaign upgrade and mission mechanics' area.
I still resent the fact that Blizzard never added a fourth race, only to add commanders to mix up the gameplay and then locked them behind co-op bullshit with no option for single player/skirmish.

And fuck that gay-ass story, Tychus was a total bro and Kerrigan is an evil bitch who should've been killed off by Legacy of the Void at the latest.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net

Wouldn't happen since modern Rare has a stick up their ass about giving their old IPs attention outside of merchandise and Sea of Thieves cosmetics. The only way for Banjo-Kazooie to make a proper comeback would be for another studio to pick up Rare's slack, just like with Battletoads and Perfect Dark.

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
kiwifarms.net
I'm actually shocked people like Dark Souls II and III when both are haphazard messes that don't hold a candle to the greatness of 1 or even demon's souls. Here's a fucking essay on why they suck.

Dark souls II (I'm talking base game not Scholar of the First shit): A roll tax in a game with soul memory. PVP that's still a lag fest that sucks and yet people claim it has good build variety despite having the same fucking builds demon's and dark had. There are three actual builds in reality; hit things, shoot things, or shoot energy things. There that's the immaculate build variety everyone tears their foreskin jerking off to. Armor that looks like hefty bags covered in shit and fur with muddy textures (again this is throughout the whole game). The game needed DLC and a do-over where they didn't fix anything and add in a boring boss to spoon feed themes for idiots. I played this game first and despite what small minded individuals think, no I don't think it's the best one, Dark Souls and Demon's have worlds you traverse Dark Souls II is a mcdonald's play place where you put on your helmet and bash your head against other idiots.

The bosses suck and serve as filler much like Dark Souls III reveals, from soft just shuffles bosses around and puts them in places where they may or may not be appropriate. This was curtailed a bit in Dark Souls 1 but it still happened and you see overlap because of it. People like to shit on Dark 1 for reusing the fat asylum demon, but ignore that Souls II has some of the laziest encounter design that make both bosses and the zones boring as hell. Every zone in scholar of the first sin is lost izalith where they thought copy and pasting enemies was a cool and neat thing to do. The problem wasn't enemy variety it was the encounters were a slog to get through and didn't reward you for thinking.

Dark Souls III suffers from the same problems honestly, but at least Miyazaki was tard rangling his team by designing encounters that had clear intentions in mind. Ultimately however Dark Souls III suffers because it loses the quiet dignity that Demon's and Dark had. It enshews it in favor of bullshit set-pieces and verbose multiphase bosses that rely on quick movement while you move about as fast as DS1. I liked Bloodborne for everything it also did wrong, but DSIII is ridiculous in expecting anyone to play through it more than once considering there's only one build worth a damn anymore.

TL;DR all the games after Dark Souls suck except Bloodborne honestly. All so they can cater to a group of meming mouthbreathing idiots who wanna play a fighting game but with lag elements. So the world design and PVE fall by the wayside.
I didn't enjoy DS2 at all. I did like DS3 but it took me a while to get there.

Mind you, I still think most of the Soulsborne games are way the fuck overrated.

Book Thief

Please send help.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Sega Saturn wasn’t as disastrous as it gets painted; at least in terms of some of its best games.

On any other system between late 90s and early 2000s, both Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun would be considered gaming landmark masterpieces. It was decades until I played a racing game with better handling than Sega Rally. All Capcom 2D fighters (SF Zero 1/2/3, Vampire Hunter/Saviour, X-Men COTA, all versus titles) were always better on the Saturn than on the PSX; same goes for Quake and Duke Nukem. Shining Force III (parts 1-3) are among the best RPGs I’ve ever played.

Oh Sega. Why oh why did you have to panic release the Saturn once the PS was in your rear-view mirrors. What could have been.
Whoever's idea it was to not import the Saturn's major system sellers in Japan is deserving of a razorblade enema. There are so many good games for the system that never came out in the West, and that may very-well have played a role in its demise and reputation. Sega of America should've been focusing their efforts on getting games like Sakura Wars and Puyo Puyo Tsu across the Pacific, rather than pouring all their advertising dollars on generic trash like Bug! and puking out adverts that drove customers away.

Calandrino

kiwifarms.net

Post-Genesis Sega history in a nutshell: mistakes were made

Maybe some of you are unfamiliar with the Dreamcast game Segagaga. I think this is my favorite article on wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segagaga

Segagaga[a], stylized as SGGG, is a 2001 role-playing simulation video game developed by Sega Hitmaker and published by Sega for the Dreamcast in Japan. Described as a "Sega simulation", the player takes control of Sega Tarō, who must help save a struggling Sega from losing the console market to its rival DOGMA, who owns 97%.
[...]
Development was directed by Tez Okano, who developed the game in secret for two years before presenting it to Sega. The company misconstrued the game as a joke at first and dismissed it, however a second presentation impressed them and allowed development to continue. Okano marketed the game himself with a small budget of $200, half of which he spent on a wrestling mask to promote the game.

Mix Me a Molotov!

Singing in the Subway
kiwifarms.net
Post-Genesis Sega history in a nutshell: mistakes were made

Maybe some of you are unfamiliar with the Dreamcast game Segagaga. I think this is my favorite article on wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segagaga
Indeed. Sega appeared to be on a suicide mission even during the Genesis tenure - Mega CD, 32-X, Saturn, Dreamcast - and anyone remember the Wondermega or Mega PC?

They lost the plot entirely.

Su Jian Ren

kiwifarms.net
Indeed. Sega appeared to be on a suicide mission even during the Genesis tenure - Mega CD, 32-X, Saturn, Dreamcast - and anyone remember the Wondermega or Mega PC?

They lost the plot entirely.
It should be noted the Saturn was a profitable console. While forgotten in the West, the Saturn is reputed in Japan positively. It outsold the N64. There's many reasons for Sega decline, as there tends to be when industry titans crumple, but for the sake of brevity Sega of Japan and its international offices clashed strategically. The executives in Japan superseded Sega of America's schedule for the Saturn. It released 5-months ahead of plan with limited stock to select retailers at $500USD. The States release of the Saturn was a catastrophe. It would continue to find success in Japan, remaining more popular than the Playstation for the first two-years of its release. But there was no recovering from the confounding decisions regarding the Saturn's Western release.

The Dreamcast was initially well received, but manufacturing issues lead to a shortage in stock. Sega was not able to keep up with demand. By the time issues were stabilized, the PS2 was on the horizon. The looming threat of a technologically superior, DVD-playing, backwards-compatible successor to the best selling console of all time would a nightmare for any console to compete against.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Whoever's idea it was to not import the Saturn's major system sellers in Japan is deserving of a razorblade enema. There are so many good games for the system that never came out in the West, and that may very-well have played a role in its demise and reputation. Sega of America should've been focusing their efforts on getting games like Sakura Wars and Puyo Puyo Tsu across the Pacific, rather than pouring all their advertising dollars on generic trash like Bug! and puking out adverts that drove customers away.
There's next to no chance of Sakura Wars ever getting an english translation now. 6 did ok but the mobile game fucking bombed.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
They were likely following Sony's lead and keeping 2D games away from the western market, maybe in part so they wouldn't have a system that looked inferior to the PSX.

Blame the American youth, possibly yourself, for all of this.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
They were likely following Sony's lead and keeping 2D games away from the western market, maybe in part so they wouldn't have a system that looked inferior to the PSX.

Blame the American youth, possibly yourself, for all of this.
Saturn actually wasn't really designed to handle 3d to the capacity that it was used for. That's why a ton of shit looks like major ass even by 90's standards.

What really sealed it's fate was Final Fantasy 7.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Saturn actually wasn't really designed to handle 3d to the capacity that it was used for. That's why a ton of shit looks like major ass even by 90's standards.
What makes it crazier is that they had extensive 3D software and hardware experience, unlike Sony, and they had extensive experience making consoles, unlike Sony, and they had an up and coming company called Nvidia to design the 3D chip. Unlike Sony who went at it all on their own.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
What makes it crazier is that they had extensive 3D software and hardware experience, unlike Sony, and they had extensive experience making consoles, unlike Sony, and they had an up and coming company called Nvidia to design the 3D chip. Unlike Sony who went at it all on their own.
Sony had the blueprint to the SNES CD that nintendo backed out of and reconfigured it. Also Sony had released games on the SNES and PC so they were not entirely unskilled at game development. What really helped bring the playstation forward was Crash bandicoot and all the documentation the team made while making the game.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Sony had the blueprint to the SNES CD that nintendo backed out of and reconfigured it. Also Sony had released games on the SNES and PC so they were not entirely unskilled at game development. What really helped bring the playstation forward was Crash bandicoot and all the documentation the team made while making the game.
I didn't say anything about games, Sony Imagesoft had been around since the NES(Solstice was a great game). But a CD drive and a soundchip are vastly different from the rest of the actual PSX hardware that made the system stand out.