Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Indian J.C denton

Hi I am indian glowie please sen bob and vag
kiwifarms.net
Dunno if this is unpopular or not... but when indie games aren't interactive art exhibitions, they're often shallow bootlegs of old games. I'm tired of every indie racing game being an inferior Outrun knock-off.

Depends on the genre imo, but I think that a lot of that comes from their experience with arcade games, arcade games have to compete for one anothers quarters 24/7 by virtue of being in the same room. Western titles either ape one another too much (I mean look at all of the current games that steal Overwatchs MENUS!), or they ape Hollywood films.

And to tie all of this together I want to clarify that copying is okay, but it only works when you draw from a variety of inspirations and you're not afraid to say spot faults and attempt to fix them in your work. If you just blindly copy Rattetouie you'll end up with Rattatoing.
Honestly though there are games like ion fury ( which is probably what duke would've looked like weren't for the technical limitations),hyper light drifter which is what zelda would've looked like if it was hack and slash and games like world of horror and shovel knight, axiom verge,hotshot racing and would you give examples of some of the games that explains your point

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
I'm currently in the middle of 2, and I'm honestly having a blast. I've heard some negative things about 3, but I'll go into it with an open mind once I get to it.

Really, what it boils down to is that a lot of people don't realize how innovative Sega games were during their hardware days. Since Nintendo and Sony effectively "won" that era of the console wars, all of the innovative ideas that made their games stand out have since been copied and improved upon so much that when people come back to revisit these titles they missed out on the first time, they're unaware of how ground-breaking the games were at the time of their release, and so used to games that have improved upon Sega's innovations that they wind up focusing solely on the games' flaws.

What Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time did for 3D Platformers and Action games respectively, Shenmue did for open-world sandbox games. Sure, these games have since been surpassed by superior titles, but we have to admire the boldness it took to experiment with new ideas during 3D gaming's infancy.
I see Shenmue more like the overlooked prototype of modern walking simulators and I don't mean that in a bad way. There's a lot of bumbling around and looking at things. In 2 he's in a foreign place so wandering around aimlessly and looking at what's going on makes sense and it is all very pleasant.

Jeff Boomhauer

Yo.
kiwifarms.net
I don't know anyone, myself included, that has actually played and enjoyed a Shantae game. Granted, I've only played the original and Risky's Revenge, but they both played so similarly and didn't really have anything that made them stand out.

I don't know why they keep making them, because they don't seem like they sell well. Everyone that claims they love Shantae really means "I love the copious amounts of Rule 34".
I'm surprised they don't just make comics or a gacha game, or something.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know anyone, myself included, that has actually played and enjoyed a Shantae game. Granted, I've only played the original and Risky's Revenge, but they both played so similarly and didn't really have anything that made them stand out.

I don't know why they keep making them, because they don't seem like they sell well. Everyone that claims they love Shantae really means "I love the copious amounts of Rule 34".
I really enjoyed the first game. Had smooth animations for a Game Boy game and I liked how dancing was central not just to gameplay but traveling. It's kind of a shame it got simplified so much in later games. Which in of itself seems to be an unpopular opinion as a lot of people complained about the dancing in that game.

Risky's Revenge was rushed out and cut quite a bit of content out. Leaving it feeling kinda mediocre.

Pirate's Curse I felt was a huge improvement over RR and did some interesting things gameplay and story wise. Felt it was a return to form.

Half-Genie Hero unfortunately dropped the ball in my opinion. Not as much content, story had promise but failed to live up to it, and the level design felt like it was simplified a bit too much. Didn't help that a lot of the extra stuff, such as playing as Risky was relegated to DLC that wouldn't come until later.

It's kinda funny as Half-Genie Hero had a kickstarter and was partially the reason why I decided to check out the older games. The fact that they made something way better before on their own nickel and dime than something that was backed fby a relatively significant amount by people who genuinely enjoyed their games made me feel like they probably pocketed some of that cash. Which wouldn't surprise me.

Haven't played the newest game, and I don't really plan to.

Last edited:

Gravemind

A monument to all your sins
kiwifarms.net
I really enjoyed the first game. Had smooth animations for a Game Boy game and I liked how dancing was central not just to gameplay but traveling. It's kind of a shame it got simplified so much in later games. Which in of itself seems to be an unpopular opinion as a lot of people complained about the dancing in that game.

Risky's Revenge was rushed out and cut quite a bit of content out. Leaving it feeling kinda mediocre.

Pirate's Curse I felt was a huge improvement over RR and did some interesting things gameplay and story wise. Felt it was a return to form.

Half-Genie Hero unfortunately dropped the ball in my opinion. Not as much content, story had promise but failed to live up to it, and the level design felt like it was simplified a bit too much. Didn't help that a lot of the extra stuff, such as playing as Risky was relegated to DLC that wouldn't come until later.

It's kinda funny as Half-Genie Hero had a kickstarter and was partially the reason why I decided to check out the older games. The fact that they made something way better before on their own nickel and dime than something that was backed fby a relatively significant amount by people who genuinely enjoyed their games made me feel like they probably pocketed some of that cash. Which wouldn't surprise me.

Haven't played the newest game, and I don't really plan to.
For what it's worth, Seven Sirens is actually a bit more of a return to form as a "Metroidvania" styled game (like Pirate's Curse) and it's actually pretty good as a result. I also went into it with low expectations considering how Half-Genie Hero turned out and ended up very pleasantly surprised.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For what it's worth, Seven Sirens is actually a bit more of a return to form as a "Metroidvania" styled game (like Pirate's Curse) and it's actually pretty good as a result. I also went into it with low expectations considering how Half-Genie Hero turned out and ended up very pleasantly surprised.
That's exactly how I felt going into Pirate's Curse. Feels like every second game in this series seems to go a bit below the standards set by the predecessor.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Yeah, Shantae's a weird series like that. I haven't personally met anyone who has ever really played and enjoyed one either, but it always comes up on forums and YouTube whenever the subject of indie games is mentioned. Fans don't ever seem to go into detail about what parts of the game they liked, any memorable bosses, story beats, or anything specific. Yet, Shantae is popular enough to be one of the most popular picks for Smash, go figure.

I guess the character herself just has that perfect mix of retro game cred and appeal to thirsty bois without looking straight up like hentai, so the internet pretends to love that series.

That being said, Wayforward games in general seem to have a fairly big internet following despite a lot of their games just being bland retreads of retro game styles. Like, the best game of theirs I've played was Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!! but that's still just a really short, kinda easy knockoff of Zelda II.

X Pac Heat

Go back to reddit, fed.
kiwifarms.net
It was described to me as, "A Zelda game for people who don't normally like Zelda games".
I was disappointed to find out that that still didn't make it fun.
This seems like a good description as it was the first Zelda I enjoyed at all since Majoras Mask.

That being said, after the first playthrough I couldn't stand it when I tried to replay it.

ArthuriusMartyrius

kiwifarms.net
Half Life 1, and especially 2, ruined FPS for years and it's only recently recovering with indie titles. Think of how many games now force you to watch cutscenes you can't skip because you're supposed to be "immersed" in them. The 2000s were especially fucked over because every game after HL2 had to follow that formula to some degree.

Also, both games have shit guns, and dull level design.

inb4 "muh physics engine"
Half-Life 2's biggest sin is that it dumped the "lone man vs. the world" shtick of the first game for one where you are saddled with a bunch of annoying dipshits for companions almost every step of the way.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
kiwifarms.net
Video game voice acting tends to be a lot more interesting when the cast consists of nobodies and virtually-unknowns. It's how we get legendary performances such as James McCaffrey as Max Payne, Steve Downes as Master Chief, Michael Shapiro as the G-Man, and TC Carson as Kratos. They feel like they have their own identity and they're far more interesting than most of the super-popular voice actors that show up everywhere like Troy Baker and Matthew Mercer.

Not to say they're all winners or anything since the worst video game voice acting tends to come from unknowns (early Resident Evils, Mega Man X4, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night just to name a few examples), but when it works it can work really well.

Neet Tokusatsu Hero

I didn't choose this profile picture.
kiwifarms.net
Honestly though there are games like ion fury ( which is probably what duke would've looked like weren't for the technical limitations),hyper light drifter which is what zelda would've looked like if it was hack and slash and games like world of horror and shovel knight, axiom verge,hotshot racing and would you give examples of some of the games that explains your point

I think this is an unpopular opinion by itself, but i do believe good indie titles tend to be better than the games that inspired them.

To me, Shovel Knight is better than most of the 8bit games that inspired it, Axiom Verge is better than the first 2 Metroid games, Dusk is better than Quake, or anything made on the Build Engine for that matter, Bloodstained: Curse of The Moon is better than all 3 Castlevania games on the NES, Volgarr The Viking is better than Ghost's n' Goblins, A Hat in Time is better than most 3D platformers from the N64 era, and so on.

However the guy you quoted still has a point, think about all indie games that went viral in the last decade, and what do we have? horror games that are nothing but a hallway with a few jumpscares, RPG's with no combat or item management, woke visual novels, walking simulators, shitty platformers that can be beaten in 20 minutes, point and click adventure games with no puzzles, etc.

I fucking hate the Indie scene so much sometimes, someone can make the best Souls-like, the best RPG, the best Run & Gun ever created, and it will never get as much attention as some random "So cute and quirky UwU" woke "game", because that kind of games seem to attract a lot of coverage from streamers, game journalists, and wanna-be gamers.

Last edited:

VIPPER?

kiwifarms.net
all those games are trash and world of horror is straight up a "look how well i can ape junji ito's style but with a binary brush ooooo" art exhibition

Indian J.C denton

Hi I am indian glowie please sen bob and vag
kiwifarms.net
I can understand your point about world of horror ( isn't that game supposed to be a homage to pc 98 games ) but honestly way more prefer indies at least there are some gems around but triple a if the best they can offer is cyberpunk 2077 then thanks

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
Final Fantasy 8 and 12 are pretty divided, some love it and some hate it, so I'm not sure how "unpopular" this is, but both were really terrible.

8's whole deal with the Junction system could have been interesting if they made it like the Materia from 7, but instead it's confusing at first and gamebreaking when you understand it. The characters are unlikable and uninteresting, exept Laguna, wish the story was about him and his adventures. Story is meh.

12 has better combat, but that's it. The story never feels like it actually goes anywhere for most of it. You're just raiding these tombs and dungeons for... reasons. None of the cast has any chemistry, the Empire and Resistance are nonexistent for 80% of the game, and it's just boring. Plus some of the worst bosses I've ever seen. Yiazmat and Zodiark are so ridiculous.

werent the Bloodstained games made by ex-Konami CASTLEMANIA team people
I know Ritual of the Night was made by the director of Symphony of the Night. Not sure beyond that.

Ruin

Mercenary Slut
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Final Fantasy 8 and 12 are pretty divided, some love it and some hate it, so I'm not sure how "unpopular" this is, but both were really terrible.

8's whole deal with the Junction system could have been interesting if they made it like the Materia from 7, but instead it's confusing at first and gamebreaking when you understand it. The characters are unlikable and uninteresting, exept Laguna, wish the story was about him and his adventures. Story is meh.

12 has better combat, but that's it. The story never feels like it actually goes anywhere for most of it. You're just raiding these tombs and dungeons for... reasons. None of the cast has any chemistry, the Empire and Resistance are nonexistent for 80% of the game, and it's just boring. Plus some of the worst bosses I've ever seen. Yiazmat and Zodiark are so ridiculous.

I know Ritual of the Night was made by the director of Symphony of the Night. Not sure beyond that.
12 was actually ruined by executive meddling. Captain Basch was originally written as the sole protagonist and the empire vs rebels thing was supposed to have a bigger focus but Square Enix demanded an effeminate pretty boy audience surrogate so "I wanna be a sky pirate!" Van was born. Van was clumsily written into the story like 65% of the way into development and it really really shows.

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
12 was actually ruined by executive meddling. Captain Basch was originally written as the sole protagonist and the empire vs rebels thing was supposed to have a bigger focus but Square Enix demanded an effeminate pretty boy audience surrogate so "I wanna be a sky pirate!" Van was born. Van was clumsily written into the story like 65% of the way into development and it really really shows.
Yeah, I've heard that as well. The director or whoever also left halfway through, I believe? Even then that doesn't explain everyone else just having next to no chemistry with each other. Balthier is there to say he's the "lead man" over and over but with nothing to back it up, Vaan and Penelo for reasons you stated, Fran for I guess world building for her racist species. Ashe and Basch are the only ones with any stakes or purpose.