Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

AlmightyMagichan

kiwifarms.net
I remember someone once pointed out that Sonic games are designed like arcade games, which makes sense since Sega was huge on that scene. You need to play through them again and again. Once you know what you're doing you can blast through levels in a fast and spectacular fashion. Don't know if that applies much to the recent games, but it might help explain the design of the older ones.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Whaddya mean booze ain't food?!
kiwifarms.net
I remember someone once pointed out that Sonic games are designed like arcade games, which makes sense since Sega was huge on that scene. You need to play through them again and again. Once you know what you're doing you can blast through levels in a fast and spectacular fashion. Don't know if that applies much to the recent games, but it might help explain the design of the older ones.
I remember playing Sonic 2 way later than the first or third games, and for while I just didn't like it. I thought there was too much random bullshit to keep track of in the levels and I just didn't think it was as fun, despite being a more consistent experience than the first game. But I kept at it and eventually I began to memorize the levels, and now I really like Sonic 2. A lot of it really does come down to drumming the level design into your head, remembering where obstacles were so you can keep your speed going. It took a while, but I got there eventually (final boss still sucks though).

That does apply to the 3D games to an extent, and you can see it with the ranking system; the better you are, the higher your grade at the end of the level. That being said, I think the boost games like Unleashed and Generations embraced that design way more than the Adventure games. Those games not only want you to go fast, they want you to memorize the level layout so you keep going fast, and, in Generations' case, mess around with the alternate paths you can take.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
There really aren't many indie games that hold my interest. At least, none I can think of while writing this.
so, do you spend the rest of your time playing AAA games? because I don't think that's down to indies. I get the same feel, but with games in general - I assume it's once you played enough games often enough, there isn't really anything "new", and it all just (subconsciously) feels the same.

one thing indies have going for them is that they are usually short enough to not overstay their welcome, which is reflected in price, and depending who they're targeting has a tighter demographic than most AA-AAA games that want to hit it big. last steam indie games festival I gave a few of it's demos a spin, out of boredom mostly, and there were actually a few games that were interesting enough that I wanted to keep playing after the demo, one or two I'm even looking forward to the release, and that has hardly happened in years (one is beacon pines and the other lost words, which I probably grab once the itch comes back in a few weeks).

there's also that thing that games kinda feel formulaic these days, which I never really noticed until I went back and played a more "oldschool" designed game like recore. was in my backlog for a while but was always curious about it. it hardly feels like modern games, which was probably what tripped quite a few people up sadly, but there's a certain clunkynes and uncompromised "gameplay first" design across the board that brings it's own charm and what kept me playing (although gotta admit after the story was over there wasn't really much reason to go back to it, but then not everything needs an "endgame").

besides that, there are so many games these days you can't play them all, and my inner hipster is automatically wary of games that constantly get shilled and talked about - not because they're popular, but for the reason they're popular. that's why I got 100+ hours in battleborn and anthem, and not fortnite or destiny...

Jeff Boomhauer

Yo.
kiwifarms.net
so, do you spend the rest of your time playing AAA games? because I don't think that's down to indies. I get the same feel, but with games in general - I assume it's once you played enough games often enough, there isn't really anything "new", and it all just (subconsciously) feels the same.
Aside from some new entries in series that have been around a while, no. I'm mostly a boomer who mostly just play games I'm familiar with or on older consoles I'm familiar with. I've tried a few indie games out, but not a lot of them held my interest.

Groundbreaking-maize

kiwifarms.net
Disco Elysium is the best game of the past 10 years. My only criticism is that it should have been done in a more realistic setting. The "pale" and all that bullshit gave me nothing, but I love the mercenary cop organizations, the literal union strongman and just about everything else.

Last edited:

JektheDumbass

kiwifarms.net
TES3: Morrowind is unplayable by modern standards. Ignoring it's badly aged graphics, it's dice roll-based combat system, where you can see an attack visibly connect but do 0 damage because you didn't roll high enough, and it's large amount of unvoiced dialogue and surreal ,confusing lore make it unpalatable to pretty much anyone who didn't grow up playing it or similar games. I'm convinced that most Morrowind shills only do so to spite modern Bethesda and never actually played it.
Ngl, I didn't like morrowind until I installed a mod that gives 100% accuracy and make levelling faster. I like the surreal lore though.

Calandrino

kiwifarms.net
Sonic is Mario but faster.

Mario is more responsive, with a variety of power-ups that boost his mobility even further. If you watch tutorials on the SMW cape, it's amazing how versatile it is. Mario levels are, traditionally, very basic. The koopas change, often to humorous effect, but the stages do not. You hone your skills and develop twitch reflexes. (Incidentally, this is why Sunshine is a divisive game, because the stages vary a lot.)

Sonic has several strikes against it. He can't control for shit. Most of his power-ups are shields. Other abilities are exclusive to Tails and Knuckles, namely hovering and climbing. Every level has its own gimmick. As Super Bunnyhop pointed out, this can result in "a tiring lack of focus" later in the game. The difficulty is pretty consistent throughout, because each stage is radically different. As a a result, there's nothing to master.
Sonic (ye olde 2D Sonic) stood out among platformers for generally having more complicated physics. He has to build up and maintain momentum, he can jump off of curved surfaces at odd angles, launch himself across multiple screens at blinding speeds, and so on. There were a lot of games that copied everything about Sonic except that stuff, like Bubsy, having a colorful cartoon mascot (with attitude) running around and collecting stuff and not really being able to see where he was going in huge levels, and they all sucked pretty bad.

Having said that, idgaf about Sonic even slightly and I am and will continue to be mad that Sega and the Genesis are permanently associated with that franchise and that franchise alone: out of all the amazing games they've made, the babyfur simulator is the only one that made it, and almost all of their other old IPs are 1,000% dead and don't even have brand recognition anymore. Maybe Streets of Rage 4's success will teach Sega not to outsource to the lowest bidder.

FriendlyPrimarina

kiwifarms.net
TES3: Morrowind is unplayable by modern standards. Ignoring it's badly aged graphics, it's dice roll-based combat system, where you can see an attack visibly connect but do 0 damage because you didn't roll high enough, and it's large amount of unvoiced dialogue and surreal ,confusing lore make it unpalatable to pretty much anyone who didn't grow up playing it or similar games. I'm convinced that most Morrowind shills only do so to spite modern Bethesda and never actually played it.
Morrowind can be pretty fun with its extremely varied (and unbalanced) magic system that allows you to take huge leaps across the map. The barrier to entry is very steep, though.

JamesFargo

saying "Oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
Sonic (ye olde 2D Sonic) stood out among platformers for generally having more complicated physics. He has to build up and maintain momentum, he can jump off of curved surfaces at odd angles, launch himself across multiple screens at blinding speeds, and so on.
It's a tech demo, in other words.

Sega's bread and butter was arcade boards / soundchips. As consoles evolved, Sonic became outmoded.

Nobody plays these game for the "physics." They use the same principles as (appropriately) slot machines. Bright lights and flashy colors stimulate the dopamine in addicts' brains. The DS5-5 for autism disorder suggests an intense preoccupation with rapid movement and spinning things. In a very real sense, people are wired to consume Sonic games.

Last edited:

Lucky Strike Salesman

Enjoy The Smooth Toasted Flavor
kiwifarms.net
The only indie game I can remember really enjoying in the past few years was owlboy and enter the gungeon (if that's considered indie)

they have cool elements and a simplicity alot of these newer mundane pixel platformer or quirky rpg indie games lack

Jeff Boomhauer

Yo.
kiwifarms.net
Donkey Kong Country 1 > 2 > 3
This opinion is purely out of nostalgia, because I've played 1 a million times and 2 only about a hundred times. None of the video stores I grew up around had 2, for some reason.

I've played 3 about a million times as well, but I'll concede it's more gimmicky than 2 and Kiddie Kong is dumb compared to the other Kongs. That said, I still think 3 is a great game that people can be a little harsh about.

I wanted to like the Mario and Luigi games, but they really aren't my thing. There's something about the perspective of the brothers on the battle screen that trips me up, especially when there are attacks that target both brothers or moves that go from one brother to the next. I don't know how to describe this odd form of autism, but it's why I've never beaten the first game to this day. I did beat the Bowser's Inside Story remake, however. The story was kind of weird, but playing as Bowser was fun.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
Aside from some new entries in series that have been around a while, no. I'm mostly a boomer who mostly just play games I'm familiar with or on older consoles I'm familiar with. I've tried a few indie games out, but not a lot of them held my interest.
yeah, there's just too many, and finding the right ones can get tedious. but like I said there are some nice games here and there.
what usually works for me is going with a game/genre I like and then browse through the list of copies or "inspired by" (although if they have to namedrop that it's usually more of a warning) when bored or while talking a shit. there are also some jewtube channels that cover some of those "never heard of" indie games I think. or you could pick a curator that isn't a retarded shill which aligns with your taste and see what they're recommending (which was probably valve's idea with that feature, because they're aware finding games with people being lazy, stupid or both is almost impossible.

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This isn't an unpopular opinion. Morrowind spergs would agree with you that most modern Bethesda fans want pretty graphics, lite RPG gameplay and a story that sucks your dick and is easy to understand.

BlamoPlasmo

random encounter
kiwifarms.net
That's interesting. Can you elaborate on that?
They have the same influences and taste in many cases. Weird societal issues and certain art styles. Kinda restricted to a very small pool of Snes and ps1 era influences.

It's like when somebody says Tumblr has an art style. While there are exceptions who fall outside of this community, there is a strong group identity in it.

StraightShooter2

kiwifarms.net
I haven't played on Revengence difficulty yet, but I was playing Metal Gear Rising on Very Hard, and my opinion is that it's too easy - mainly because you can get a full HP restore from most grunts if you just use Blade Mode and steal their DNA when you kill them. And regular "cyborg" grunts always die from a single slice.

(This is assuming you've pretty much mastered guarding and parrying - if not, the game will be too hard).

Last edited:

JamesFargo

saying "Oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
they all have unprotected sex with 5 specific people around them as a form of networking and claim to be oppressed when it doesn't pan out and they're fucking fat
qptgcbELLCiM.jpg

Jeff Boomhauer

Yo.
kiwifarms.net
Ace Attorney sperging:
Dual Destinies gets a lot of unfair hate. I really don't understand why so many people consider it one of the worst entries in the series. I don't think it's as good as the first game or Trials and Tribulations, but I really enjoyed reading through it.

On the other hand, I really didn't like Spirit of Justice. I didn't like the third case at all, save for the return of Maya. I didn't like the fourth case at all, where it felt like, "Oh shit! We forgot to give Athena something to do!" The first part of the last case (basically, everything with Paul Atishon) is awesome, but then quickly turns to ridiculousness, especially the resolution, to the point where I feel like Phoenix and Apollo's stories have jumped the shark (in the "Where the hell do they go from here?" kind of way).
At least the DLC case was good.

I honestly don't get all the praise this one got from fans.