• "lost my virginity at 22 to a tranny like a normal person"

Unpopular Opinions About Western Animation

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ZepFloyd94, May 21, 2016.

1. I think Steven Universe is pretty alright. Not a bad show overall, and it has some really good moments, but plagued by poor pacing and increasingly inconsistent animation.

I say this because it seems like the middle ground between the Farms' hatred of it and Tumblr/other sites' worship of it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Feels Feels x 2
    BlueChan

BlueChan Drawn by 8 different kindergarteners

kiwifarms.net
  2. Worry not too much about it. I admit the poor pacing and inconsistent animation (plus the fact that when it tries to be funny, it just falls real fucking flat, IMHO.) are a major part of why I'm nowhere near as fond of this show as I once was, despite all the good things you could say about it, to tell you the truth.

Shokew

Shokew ...Continues to let the world burn!

kiwifarms.net
  3. I don't really have any strong feelings towards the show, but I feel that the Farms' hatred of the show is generally a reaction to how morons on Tumblr cream over it.

In fifteen or twenty years, when the show's long over, we'll know how people really feel about it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Steamboat_Bill

Steamboat_Bill Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee

kiwifarms.net
  4. I thought Rugrats was way overrated in general, even back then. K-C's style was ugly, to put it bluntly.
    This was where Klasky-Csupo's style best fit. If there's one thing they mastered, it's the griminess of it's setting and ugly characters because they are monsters. They also had room for creativity with their character designs. Aaahh!!! Real Monsters was K-C's pinnacle.

• Agree Agree x 6
    Perverted Cat

Perverted Cat Watches You

kiwifarms.net
  5. I never really had an issue with K-C's style; there's a sort of Eastern European feel to it that made it look kind of unique. (Gabor Csupo, of course, was Hungarian and escaped from under the border fence in the seventies...)

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters is pretty underrated. You never really hear about it these days, though it ran for four seasons. (The only real fan of it I ever met in real life was my high school history teacher...)

• Agree Agree x 4
    Steamboat_Bill

Steamboat_Bill Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee

kiwifarms.net
  6. This is basically correct. In my experience most of the Farms actually enjoys the show, to the point where every time a cow mentions it a mod winds up having to come in and tell people to stop white knighting it and stay on topic.

Personally, I think it's garbage. I've only seen bits and pieces of it but what I have seen didn't impress me in the slightest. It doesn't help the creators are smug pricks and the fanbase is even more toxic than bronies.

• Like Like x 1
    Replicant Sasquatch

Replicant Sasquatch Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?

kiwifarms.net
  7. The Farms doesn't really hate Steven Universe (at least those that have watched it generally don't), they hate the fandom:

IMG_1059.JPG

Although the fact we tried to have a thread about the fandom which devolved into sperging about the show itself probably didn't help its reputation around these parts.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    TheImportantFart

TheImportantFart ANTIFART

kiwifarms.net
  8. I honestly think the legend of korra ending was overrated and it was just there to shoehorn a same sex relationship and appease the SJW's

• Agree Agree x 6
    Pikapool

Pikapool The Pikachu with the mouth

kiwifarms.net
  9. Brian Konieztko outright stated that was the point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Replicant Sasquatch

Replicant Sasquatch Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?

kiwifarms.net
  10. I completely agree with you. When the show is good, it's fantastic. When the show is bad, it gets really irritating.
    It takes a while to truly get into, and there are far more filler episodes than there needs to be. But I will say that it has a much better sense of worldbuilding and continuity than something like Star Vs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Abethedemon

Abethedemon Trve and Honest

kiwifarms.net
  11. I will say that KC style did draw some butt-ugly people at times (especially later on).

• Agree Agree x 5
    Yaoi Huntress Earth

Yaoi Huntress Earth My avatar is problematic.

kiwifarms.net
  12. I felt that way too, and anyone who's been into that for as long as I am would notice those similarities.

Ironically, there was an animated short made by one Hungarian who didn't flee his homeland until sometime in the 80's (staying up in Canada for a while before going back home in the 2000's) who did this piece that made me think of K-C given the designs used, yet he was just another animator working at the same state-owned studio Gabor Csupo once worked for back in the 70's.

His claim to fame though was having to stay home while some government official accepted the Oscar for Best Animated Short Subject for his film "The Fly".

I certainly haven't heard much about it at all in years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Trilby

Trilby TRIGGER WARNING!

kiwifarms.net
  13. :autism:Autism Alert:autism:

I don't like the amazing world of gumball. I think the humor is too out there for me and tries so hard to be random and the main character is a dick. It's just people giving excuses because of the animation which I'm not gonna lie it's pretty good.

I think sausage party is okay. I don't think it's groundbreaking as the cartoon community and movie-goers (mainly atheist because of the obvious message) put it out to be, but it's not horrible as tumblr and liberal movie critics made it out to be. And I don't think the swearing is annoying. It's a seth rogen film so what do I expect?

Characters development doesn't always has to be a solution to be a good show. (Unless it's an adult cartoon).

I'm never part of the Teen Titans go hatetrain. Asides from the random humor it doesn't seem to annoyed me as with millions of people. Maybe it's because I didn't grew up watching the original teen titans.

I don't get the hatred with Lars from steven universe with the exceptional fanbase. There are thousands of undeveloped jerk characters in cartoons who are way worse than him.

Wakfu is such a criminally overlooked gem and hearing people from the cartoon community said they never heard of it breaks my heart.

We need more tomboy characters. There's way too many feminization in cartoons and telling girls to be more girly, putting on makeup, liking boys, wearing pink because god forbid if you try to subvert gender stereotypes (that doesn't evolve around fighting,) you come across as sexist.

Speaking of femininity, what's with media always making masculinity a fate worse than death? Is there any character with positive masculinity that doesn't come across as a bigoted misogynistic egotistical caricature?

• Like Like x 7
    kiwifarms.net
  14. Weirdly enough, I think this is why I can't get into the show. My brothers and friends go "Huuuuh? You don't like this show D:?" when I bring it up, but it's something I never could fully explain.

Hahaha I gotta get around to this at some point. I see it around quite a bit, I just never think about when I want to watch it.

I second that--but I think we need better tomboy characters. They're becoming more of a thing I've noticed, but there's just something about a lot of them that I don't really connect with, and I'm not entirely sure what it is. It could be I've grown up and just don't have that tomboyish attitude/mindset I used to have as a kid, but I dunno. But this is practically the reason why I actually don't mind the Cardcaptor Sakura dub, I connected with Sakura as a tomboy better than as a cutesy ten-year-old who screams "HOEEEEE!!?".

I thought of Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible.

• Like Like x 4
    Kari Kamiya

Kari Kamiya Onii-chan Complex

kiwifarms.net
  15. Maybe it's just me, and i haven't seen cartoons for ever (even thing, i think it's still there- Lego Movie anyone?), but i thought we had enough tomboys? At least i remember the whole "grrl power kickbutt" tomboy phase in the 90s was everywhere, and you could find it in every cartoon you'd land on. And usually, the girly girl of the team was always the weak/dumb/evil one. I dunno, perhaps things have changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    friedshrimp

friedshrimp the church of noid is the only valid church

kiwifarms.net
  16. I think nowadays in modern cartoons with an all girl team or with two female characters it's usually the token tomboy been nothing more than a one note character and I do agreed with @Kari Kamiya that we need more better tomboy characters that isn't a one dimension.

And if there is a female empowerment message in cartoon it's usually the same "girls can wear makeup while still kicking ass" moral that'll keep popping out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  17. Really, Tomboys either work in small doses, or if they have hidden feminine touches in them. And this is coming from someone who'd rather Tomboys than women who do next to nothing in shows. The problem comes in two forms- underdeveloped and overused, as @Kari Kamiya mentioned in her post.

Going full out "rough and tumble" and making her a major role. Unless they're really low on female parts, why not just write a male character instead?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Jewelsmakerguy

Jewelsmakerguy white power

kiwifarms.net
  18. i liked adventure time until a certain point in which the humor got bland and the '''feels''' plots kept coming in.

i dunno, i think the first two seasons were great because they were just simple. kind of stupid. an odd kind of funny. and like, the post apocalyptic shit was just a fun little secret you wouldn't know just by watching the show.
    but then, i don't want to say it got serious because the show was still silly but the serious shit just happened more often. and the fucking cringeworthy romance plots, gOD.
    like yeah, the show always catered to hipsters. but it reached a point where it became a bit obvious that they were doing certain things to tickle the assholes of the teen and young adult audience. and for me that sort of thing just doesn't work in a show about fucking noodle art characters going on silly adventures.

and since i'm talking about adventure time, i might as well add that i think marceline is an overrated character and any episode involving her put me right to sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    averagejane

averagejane please pluck your nose hairs.

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

Founded as the CWCki Forums, and originally dedicated to Christian Weston Chandler, the Kiwi Farms is about eccentrics on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are fascinating for reasons distinct to each spectator. We document the phenomenon, with every member bringing different perspectives and opinions to discussion. It is this diversity which has caused our peculiar community to thrive.

• Affiliates

• Power our Autism

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.