Unpopular Opinions About Western Animation -

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
I kinda like The Brothers Grunt. It's such a weird, gross, uncomfortable show and that fascinates me because I love weird and gross shows and movies. Danny Antonucci's artstyle really sells the unpleasantness of the brothers, with their bulging veins and bug-eyes. I get that it's not for everyone (a huge understatement), but it deserves a bit more credit.
Danny Antonucci apparently isn't that happy with it, either. He still likes it, but he thinks some of the stuff MTV wanted him to do didn't work.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
I like Ralph Bakshi's adaptation of The Lord of the Rings. It suffered in some ways (calling Saruman 'Aruman' still bugs me) Sam and the Balrog were just awful, but it has a certain tone to it I really think works well. Shame he never finished it.
well... there's still the Rankin Bass version. Speaking of which I'd watch the animated hobbit of the peter jackson version any day

friedshrimp

028372n38934739473247219074
kiwifarms.net
Family Guy gets a huge meh reaction from me. I don't think it's as hilarious and revolutionary as people claim but the "it's so mean-spirited!" thing also just seems overblown. It just has the effect of white noise on me.

Disney hasn't made a genuine good and memorable movie since Lilo and Stitch. Stuff like Wreck it Ralph got close, but the movies now just feel very generic, plus CGI animation is just ugly.

Pixar is okay, but there's only like two movies of them I like and consider them memorable, not a good sign. I find their crying tactic to be manipulative.

Heavy Metal is actually a good film, really.

I think with animation in movies, they work the best when they try to be as artistic as possible. It probably sounds autistic but I kinda wish more animated movies were more artistic/surreal or showcased bigger or more adult stories instead of always being baby/family fodder or the only adult genre tackling is fratbro stoner comedy. Maybe more Heavy Metals, Animal Farms, Ralph Bakshi movies, or even things like the Thief and the Cobbler, Prince of Egypt, Persepolis, Fantasia or the Rankin-Bass Fantasy adaptations: surreal, artistic, and can take audiences seriously. Just a little bit of variety, you know? Kid stuff for kids and adult stuff for adults, that way everyone's happy.

I think I like the classic Nicktoons more for the nostalgia factor than their cartoons being "revolutionary" or "deep" as the spergs would say, but eh, they're funny, weird and surrealist, and that's enough for me to like them.

South Park: Randy is funny. I'll take more Randy or Mr Mackey episodes over the kids, that are just boring. I hate that the fandom is so obsessed with shipping and sperging over such one-note characters like the rest of the kids.

Last edited:

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
Did you ever read the Floyd Gottfredson comics? That'll explain it.
I was more talking about the animated version. You know, the version that sounds like a faggot who inhaled too much helium then had his balls kicked in. Every time I hear that voice I just get the urge to destroy whatever it's coming out of. Like nails on a chalkboard but far more infuriating.

Nauseated Courgi

It's an Ass-Fuck-Get-Fucked world out there
kiwifarms.net
I was more talking about the animated version. You know, the version that sounds like a faggot who inhaled too much helium then had his balls kicked in. Every time I hear that voice I just get the urge to destroy whatever it's coming out of. Like nails on a chalkboard but far more infuriating.
Sounds like a personal problem to me.

ThrowawayMCL

Far worse than you.
kiwifarms.net
-Since 2009, it has been filled with SJW messages
-Western Animation is still focused on merchandising
-They ran out of ideas
-Ed, Edd and Eddy and Angry Beavers is underated and probably the best Western Animations IMO.
-Steven Universe Sucks.
-Adult Swim made WA popular again
-Canada sucks at making WA.
-90s cartoons is the best because it mostly catered to Adults.

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
-I enjoy episodic kids cartoons more than story-centric ones.
-The Beetlejuice cartoon is very underrated and one of the best cartoons of the 80s/90s (I am not saying this out of nostalgia, I've watched the series for the first time a month ago). It also has one the best theme songs of all time.
-I liked Steven Universe pilot's style a lot more than what we got at the end, but I am a bit bias cause I am not a fan of pastel colors.

The Old Lurker

Prince Albert in a can.
kiwifarms.net
I enjoy episodic kids cartoons more than story-centric ones.
We need more episodic cartoons story-based ones suck for the most part and I'm pleased to see them falling slowly out of favor. Stuff like Wander over Yonder or OKKO where there is a loose overarching plot is fine, but trying to do a serious sweeping narrative is almost always destined for failure.
Television network schedules on CN and Nick at the moment just don't allow for the proper timely release of these types of shows and due to how many episodes are ordered in bulk there is the inevitable "filler." Filler isn't always bad, but worst case scenario you end up with a SU situation where half the fanbase just wants the plot to get on and will bitch up a storm complaining and ruining things for the people who don't mind the non-plot related episodes.
Plot-based shows work best when there is a set number of episodes and the creator has full creative freedom, something television animation in the west does not have at the moment so they should stop trying.

In my opinion the best types of shows are completely episodic but have time progression and callbacks to previous episodes like Power Puff Girls, early Regular Show, and Harvey Birdman.

Crichax

"Oh, and by the way, Jaspersprite agrees with me."
kiwifarms.net
Why was Battle Force 5 a thing? Even though it was a fine show on its own, it didn't finish the story that was established in its predecessors (World Race and AcceleRacers), even though it had the same main character (Vert Wheeler) for some reason.

Tour of Italy

Open for ToGo carside pickup and family delivery.
kiwifarms.net
Bob’s Burgers has an admirable commitment to staying relatively grounded, but they can only keep it up for so long without the writing suffering. Although a lot of the current problems with the writing are unrelated.

There’s been a slow descent into sappy moralism too, which bugs me. Not every episode needs a lesson, sometimes they just needs a punchline.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Bob’s Burgers has an admirable commitment to staying relatively grounded, but they can only keep it up for so long without the writing suffering. Although a lot of the current problems with the writing are unrelated.

There’s been a slow descent into sappy moralism too, which bugs me. Not every episode needs a lesson, sometimes they just needs a punchline.
As someone who loves Bob's Burgers like a well-respected family member, you ain't completely wrong, but I still admire that it's not suffering from the same BS that has dragged down stuff like Family Guy and The Simpsons so much (other than both examples being zombies.....).

Tags
None