Unpopular Opinions About Western Animation -

Tour of Italy

Open for ToGo carside pickup and family delivery.
kiwifarms.net
As someone who loves Bob's Burgers like a well-respected family member, you ain't completely wrong, but I still admire that it's not suffering from the same BS that has dragged down stuff like Family Guy and The Simpsons so much (other than both examples being zombies.....).
The only way to prevent that though is to pull the plug entirely, make a radical change to the format, or defy the odds and become the first collaborative animated sitcom to not degrade to the point where it’s just a hollow brand. And even that last one can’t go on forever.

As long as it keeps making money they’ll keep manking them, to the point where it basically becomes a steady investment property, not engaging work of art. So yeah, basically the Simpsons treatment.

I think the movie next year is going to be a turning point for better or worse.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
The only way to prevent that though is to pull the plug entirely, make a radical change to the format, or defy the odds and become the first collaborative animated sitcom to not degrade to the point where it’s just a hollow brand. And even that last one can’t go on forever.

As long as it keeps making money they’ll keep manking them, to the point where it basically becomes a steady investment property, not engaging work of art. So yeah, basically the Simpsons treatment.

I think the movie next year is going to be a turning point for better or worse.
Like I said, it hasn't happened... Yet. Too bad it eventually will, because again, you ain't wrong.

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
Spinel from SU is overrated and her backstory was lazily written.
Spinel having as many fans as she does only makes Gay Space Rocks look worse than it already does in my eyes. I can admire the sqaush and stretch of the character's movements, but even then, she's just another terrible character amongst a sea of other really terrible characters who aren't Greg, honestly.

Tour of Italy

Open for ToGo carside pickup and family delivery.
kiwifarms.net
Spinel having as many fans as she does only makes Gay Space Rocks look worse than it already does in my eyes. I can admire the sqaush and stretch of the character's movements, but even then, she's just another terrible character amongst a sea of other really terrible characters who aren't Greg, honestly.
This probably isn’t a controversial opinion here, but after finalizing the Steven Universe concepts and art direction Rebecca Sugar should have been shoved in a dumpster and the series handed over to a competent showrunner.

She does have talent; I saw the pilot and loved it for its potential, but lost interest pretty quick and have watched from the sidelines as it descended into an incomprehensible mess.

Hell I really do sympathize with her; from what I’ve seen she’s a just a slave to the set pieces she gets in her head and lets them pull her around. I get that.

At the very least they needed stronger voices on the team to reign everyone in and establish a clear direction for the story.

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
Tiny Toons was better than Animaniacs.
In terms of consistency...but Animaniacs has the better best episodes.
Eh, whatever - BOTH shows have their ups and downs and I really don't see the point in comparing them. If I had to make any comparison, whatever either does (especially if it concerns pop culture refs) is infinitely better & actually funnier (making both shows near (emphasis on near) timeless, as a result.) than sitcom BS like The Looney Tunes Show (2011-14), for an honest example of how NOT to utilize these kinds of characters, really.

The Pink Panther

Why Can't Man Be More Like Animals?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Eh, whatever - BOTH shows have their ups and downs and I really don't see the point in comparing them. If I had to make any comparison, whatever either does (especially if it concerns pop culture refs) is infinitely better & actually funnier (making both shows near (emphasis on near) timeless, as a result.) than sitcom BS like The Looney Tunes Show (2011-14), for an honest example of how NOT to utilize these kinds of characters, really.
But I love LT Show. Probably my favorite cartoon of the decade.

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
Dexter's Lab never really caught my attention. It wasn't bad or anything, it was just a very forgettable show in my opinion.
I really only liked said show for Dee Dee's antics, its decent slapstick in some areas, and the Monkey / Justice Friends segments. At least the show always knew how to bring down its titular character, as needed (I still dislike Dexter (not sorry, as smartass MCs are a HUGE turnoff for me, as a kid and as an adult.) and probably would think nothing positive of said show without Dee Dee to keep things entertaining, honestly.).

It really was, unlike examples such as Powerpuff Girls or Johnny Bravo at the time, something I quietly endured, rather than enjoyed as a kid - and I still feel the same way about it, now, to tell the truth. Not a bad show, but I've watched better stuff, including nowadays - the slapstick in it is still timess, though.

Tags
None