Unpopular Opinions About Western Animation -

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

Autumnal Equinox

Dance with me, Kiwis!
kiwifarms.net
Dexter's Lab never really caught my attention. It wasn't bad or anything, it was just a very forgettable show in my opinion.
I'm kinda in the same vein. I always looked more forward to the Justice Friends and Dial M For Monkey segments than the actual Dexter shorts. Didn't dislike the show, but it was always kind of a "I'm just here until something better comes on" kind of show.

The one segment I did really like is when he and his friends are playing D&D, Dexter is an asshole DM, gets booted out and replaced by Dee-Dee.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Drawn Together is actually a smart show. The characters are completely stupid but the jokes aren't
If you're talking the series, yes. I've seen the movie, and while it's not the worst thing I've seen, it definitely falls into the exact criticisms most people have against the show, but with the added issue of cheap animation that makes everyone come off moving like Spanky does on the show.

Pixy Misa

Your local evil magical girl.
kiwifarms.net
I got another one that will be unpopular.

Adventure Time was good on it's earlier seasons, but it became a boring and pretentious show in it's later seasons.

Pendleton Ward wasn't exactly a good leader, and, if anything I tend to believe the rumors he was replaced due to being incompetent as a director, but I do think he had a good vision of simply having of simply kid and his dog having weird little adventures in weird fantasy land.

But, save for some good contributions by Rebecca Sugar like everything about marceline and ice king , it became a super pretentious artsy show made by obvious art school graduates that just wanted to be deep and philosophical, and "express their feelings". All the huge reveals ended up being huge letdowns (Finn's parents, what happened to the other humans etc), and worse of all it felt like the writers weren't that interested in Finn and Jake so they often just had glorified cameos or side roles in their own show.

Case in point, Ice King, Marceline, and PB got and ending to their archs and even became an official couple, and Finn, who is the star, got sidelined without the writters even giving him at least a serious love interest or even closure that the others supposed side characters did.

Last edited:

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
I think people like Speedy (and Slowpoke Rodriguez) more than they like his cartoons. Looney Tunes cartoons declined in the 50s and were practically unwatchable in the 60s. Speedy is a victim of his era more than any other character.
It doesn't help that the majority of Speedy cartoons are the shitty ones where he's pitted against Daffy (made largely for the Latin American market, apparently).

PsychoNerd054

Green people are so sexy!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I got another one that will be unpopular.

Adventure Time was good on it's earlier seasons, but it became a boring and pretentious show in it's later seasons.

Pendleton Ward wasn't exactly a good leader, and, if anything I tend to believe the rumors he was replaced due to being incompetent as a director, but I do think he had a good vision of simply having of simply kid and his dog having weird little adventures in weird fantasy land.

But, save for some good contributions by Rebecca Sugar like everything about marceline and ice king , it became a super pretentious artsy show made by obvious art school graduates that just wanted to be deep and philosophical, and "express their feelings". All the huge reveals ended up being huge letdowns (Finn's parents, what happened to the other humans etc), and worse of all it felt like the writers weren't that interested in Finn and Jake so they often just had glorified cameos or side roles in their own show.

Case in point, Ice King, Marceline, and PB got and ending to their archs and even became an official couple, and Finn, who is the star, got sidelined without the writters even giving him at least a serious love interest or even closure that the others supposed side characters did.
IMO, Adventure Time was never good to begin with. As impressive as a lot of the background sets were, I never really liked most of the character designs they were going for. A lot of them just looked so ugly, and some can even dip into the uncanny valley. Even the earlier seasons don't entertain me much. A lot of the humor at the time was either retarded fart and butt jokes or lol random humor that doesn't age well. I could be missing something, but I haven't seen the show in ages.

Last edited:

Cyril Sneer

The Fuct of Pepsi-Man
kiwifarms.net
IMO, Adventure Time was never good to begin with. As impressive as a lot of the background sets were, I never really liked most of the character designs they were going for. A lot of them just looked so ugly, and some can even dip into the uncanny valley. Even the earlier seasons don't entertain me much. A lot of the humor at the time was either retarded fart and butt jokes or lol random humor that doesn't age well. I could be missing something, but I haven't seen the show in ages.
Yeah, I think I always liked the idea of Adventure Time much better than the actual show itself. Still, going from "boy-hero and his dog save princesses from monsters" to "boy-hero gets cucked by lesbians" is a pretty sad devolution, even for something that was never all that great to begin with.

Last edited:

The Pink Panther

Why Can't Man Be More Like Animals?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think people like Speedy (and Slowpoke Rodriguez) more than they like his cartoons. Looney Tunes cartoons declined in the 50s and were practically unwatchable in the 60s. Speedy is a victim of his era more than any other character.
The early Speedys were pretty good. Particularly Gonzales Tamales and Mexicali Shmoes. In fact, the Speedy cartoons seemed to differ from other LT cartoons where I feel like they had more energy than the other cartoons.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I think I always liked the idea of Adventure Time much better than the actual show itself. Still, going from "boy-hero and his dog save princesses from monsters" to "boy-hero gets cucked by lesbians" is a pretty sad devolution, even for something that was never all that great to begin with.
I may have liked Adventure Time, myself - Regular Show and Gumball were always far superior products to me, despite their own ups-and-downs.

When these 2 shows went downhill (and as much as I still loved them, they did.), I was legit upset. With Adventure Time - the writing was on the wall... The writers had treated the titular Finn and Jake so less than stellar for so fucking long that having it end like it did felt like a mercy killing, instead of a proper ending, ar best...

At least RS ended on a high note. And they better not bring it back after that, either. Fuck, I'm more upset that Gumball didn't (and will never anytime soon.) get a proper conclusion, especially after such an overall disappointingly bad 6th and last season, too. A much better and stronger conclusion would've helped Gumball to go out in actual style, despite all that, admittedly.
I would kill to see this show (Gumball) get a proper ending. I must accept it ain't gonna happen, no matter how much it hurts!

As for Adventure Time coming back via HBO Max... Why? To do more damage to this show than already necessary?? Some things really do just need to R.I.P.!

MsStevieMarie

kiwifarms.net
As someone who loves Bob's Burgers like a well-respected family member, you ain't completely wrong, but I still admire that it's not suffering from the same BS that has dragged down stuff like Family Guy and The Simpsons so much (other than both examples being zombies.....).
I'm glad to hear that. I've fallen behind so I can play catch up without dreading the drop.

Drawn Together is actually a smart show. The characters are completely stupid but the jokes aren't
The first 2 seasons are great but season 3 and the movie seemed like they forgot what made the show great and just went to shock for shock sake. I still think the A Very Special Drawn Together After School Special episode is one of the funniest episodes I've ever seen period.

"Explain to me why we're doing this when Xandir's not around?" :lit:

Tags
None