Unpopular Opinions About Western Animation -

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net
Here's the short version.

1: Not a fan of multi-verse stories (lazy and decadent writing, IMO).

2: Not a fan of either Miles or Spider-Gwen's character concepts ("What if Spider-Man was Black?‽"/"What if Spider-Man was a Girl?‽). 15-20 years ago that sort of thing would have been firmly confined to one-shots in the actual What If? title.

3: Not a fan of the implicit-bordering-on-explicit "white replacement" aspect to Miles as a character in relation to Peter, which Lord and Miller (I would assume unintentionally) basically doubled down on, not only retaining the "Miles replaces Peter after Peter bites the big one" thing from the comics (after oh-so-conveniently getting bitten by a random radioactive spider; damn things are practically an infestation these days) but then compounding it by bringing in washed-up "Peter B. Parker" to act as Miles' and Gwen's mentor, which plays into the idea that "The Future is Female (and Black), Bigot!" but don't you stale, pale males dare go gently into that good night without mentoring and legitimizing the appropriation of your legacy by the up-and-coming black/female future-types (risk of getting Me-Too'd by the latter notwithstanding). Conclude with Miles as the new, improved Spider-Man, having manifested new abilities whilst taking possession of his deceased predecessor's name, job, power-set, costume (or a pointedly black variant thereof) and, if the rumors about the proposed sequel hold any water, original girlfriend.

Upvoted for the avatar. 👍
You sound like one of those salty right-wingers who needlessly politicises media.

Anti pedo

kiwifarms.net
Y'know we really need more intimidating villains in cartoons like Van Kleiss from generator rex im kinda tired of "Relatable" Villains i get it, its ONE of the ways to make a character likable but there are so many traits you can add besides being relatable Like for example Cahrisma,Ambition,competence and actually have a personality and can we just have a competent villain for once bumbling idiot villains is starting getting old example Orangusnake from mao pureheart cartoon

• Winner
Reactions: Shokew and Trilby

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
IMO, Adventure Time was never good to begin with. As impressive as a lot of the background sets were, I never really liked most of the character designs they were going for. A lot of them just looked so ugly, and some can even dip into the uncanny valley. Even the earlier seasons don't entertain me much. A lot of the humor at the time was either retarded fart and butt jokes or lol random humor that doesn't age well. I could be missing something, but I haven't seen the show in ages.
Adventure Time would have likely been remembered as a masterpiece like Megas XLR or Avatar if it remained a slice of life show that you could watch random episodes of.

Actually following the story of that show was a shit experience that ended with me dropping the show out of disinterest.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Y'know we really need more intimidating villains in cartoons like Van Kleiss from generator rex im kinda tired of "Relatable" Villains i get it, its ONE of the ways to make a character likable but there are so many traits you can add besides being relatable Like for example Cahrisma,Ambition,competence and actually have a personality and can we just have a competent villain for once bumbling idiot villains is starting getting old example Orangusnake from mao pureheart cartoon
Villains: Imitating AND competent >>>>> Relatable. Don't make them invincible, though - just usually more powerful than the hero, for challenger's sake; as it keeps things interesting.

Heroes: Relatable AND competent, but also vulernable. That way there's actual challenges worth sitting down to for the audience to hopefully enjoy.

These are principles we do need to stand by in the 2020s, if not fall back on more, besides making more proper action shows, honestly - you can never have too many of those, as they're still in short supply in the West. Not much argument there, otherwise.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Generator Rex was a pretty neat series. Shame it ended because Cartoon Network suddenly developed action show phobia.

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
Generator Rex was a pretty neat series. Shame it ended because Cartoon Network suddenly developed action show phobia.
Does it hurt that I liked Generator Rex way more than Sym-Bionic Titan back in the day? The former had its faults, but ultimately knew what it wanted to be, making it more entertaining than the latter, which fell apart on itself, due to same high school time wasting shenanigans that make it hard to near impossible for me to revisit Danny Phantom / My Life As a Teenage Robot, nowadays.

High School and serious action show don't mix well without a strong writing crew to back it up. Not trying so hard to be funny helps out especially, as well, in my book. Danny Phantom / MLAATR both suffer from a lack of strength in what I'm getting at, besides not being all that funny where more serious storylines for both would have been better, given the demographic and how much anime usually appeals to it (the audience these 2 shows are meant for that certain anime competed for eyeballs to view alongside at the time, BTW.) by being a more serious option, for one thing.

• Agree
Reactions: fartsnstuf

Anti pedo

kiwifarms.net
the reason why CN hate action cartoons is probably because of these
1.animation of action scene and fight scene are still expensive even with the help of outsourcing
2.video games makes you violent mentality got applied to cartoons
3.people who work for cn are condescending asshole that thinks children has a brain made of rocks usually having twitter account

how to solve this
1 . use 3d models for backgrounds it would safe time and money and makes the 2d animators focus on character animation rather than the background
2.just educate people about animation is not manipulating emotion to cause violance
3.for fuck sake stop hiring snobbish artist and hire someone on artstation for once and stop looking down on your customer why people on artstation because at least they can take criticism and their work are way better than twitter artist shit out
sorry if its sound sperg-ish but its just frustrated me

The Last Stand

Mean letter game.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Looney Tunes show wasnt bad for not being super faithful to the old stuff, it was just bad. But at least it was different, it wasnt a zombie.
I liked the Looney Tunes Show (2009) for what it was. Slapstick cartoon characters from the 20th century in sitcom like situations. The animation took some getting used to, but it wasn't too bad. I'm happy they gave Lola a character arc since Baby Looney Tunes and Space Jam. Floozy character but she had charm.

Wabbit was outdated the minute it aired. How do you go from sitcom to slapstick with the same animation? It lost the charm of what made the shorts special in their heyday.

I miss having complications of old Looney Tunes shorts on television a la Toonheads or Kids WB.

Count groudon

Saltier than Njord's left testicle
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I actually never really cared much for most of Disney’s stuff. I remember as a kid I loved the more weird experimental shit they did like Atlantis, Treasure Planet, and Lilo and Stitch. Though I will say that I absolutely adore The Nightmare Before Christmas and it’s my favorite movie, but I’ll admit it’s mostly because I love the visuals and the atmosphere above anything else with it, I’m a sucker for dark but still fun and cute styles.

Also never really cared for most of their animated shows they had on the Disney channel, they all just felt so generic and bland that couldn’t really sit through them. The only show I ever liked on that channel was Recess and The Proud Family.

Overcast

Perfection has no age
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I actually never really cared much for most of Disney’s stuff. I remember as a kid I loved the more weird experimental shit they did like Atlantis, Treasure Planet, and Lilo and Stitch. Though I will say that I absolutely adore The Nightmare Before Christmas and it’s my favorite movie, but I’ll admit it’s mostly because I love the visuals and the atmosphere above anything else with it, I’m a sucker for dark but still fun and cute styles.

Also never really cared for most of their animated shows they had on the Disney channel, they all just felt so generic and bland that couldn’t really sit through them. The only show I ever liked on that channel was Recess and The Proud Family.
Totally agree. Lilo and Stitch in particular is probably my favorite Disney film in general.

Honestly, looking back I could kinda tell as a little kid that there was just something... off about most of Disney's stuff to me. Like it felt overly sweet or sanitized, and that hasn't really changed for me in recent years. It's just a different kind of sweet and sanitized.

Actually, thinking about it now, that description isn't far off, when you consider stuff like The Little Mermaid, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and their source material.

In retrospect, there was something... I don't know, genuine about Lilo and Stitch. Underneath all the stuff about aliens lies a pretty sobering story about a young girl attempting to cope with the loss of her parents in the only ways she knew how while her sister constantly faces the threat of having to give her up due to not having the means to care for her. The movie was also going to tackle some more real world issues like the general attitude of certain kinds of tourists in Hawaii, one of which even calling Lilo a "native girl".

Plus I loved how thematically cohesive it is. Every song in that movie was either done by Elvis Presley or is a cover of one of his songs.

It was a movie that was clearly done with love and passion. Sure, it was clear they had to make creative compromises, and then there was the hastily redrawn parts of the movie due to 9/11. But none of that really bothers me.

It's been years since I last watched Treasure Planet and Atlantis, but I do have fond memories of them both as well.

Kind of a shame they steered away from making those kinds of movies.

Last edited:

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Totally agree. Lilo and Stitch in particular is probably my favorite Disney film in general.

Honestly, looking back I could kinda tell as a little kid that there was just something... off about most of Disney's stuff to me. Like it felt overly sweet or sanitized, and that hasn't really changed for me in recent years. It's just a different kind of sweet and sanitized.

Actually, thinking about it now, that description isn't far off, when you consider stuff like The Little Mermaid, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and their source material.

In retrospect, there was something... I don't know, genuine about Lilo and Stitch. Underneath all the stuff about aliens lies a pretty sobering story about a young girl attempting to cope with the loss of her parents in the only ways she knew how while her sister constantly faces the threat of having to give her up due to not having the means to care for her. The movie was also going to tackle some more real world issues like the general attitude of certain kinds of tourists in Hawaii, one of which even calling Lilo a "native girl".

Plus I loved how thematically cohesive it is. Every song in that movie was either done by Elvis Presley or is a cover of one of his songs.

It was a movie that was clearly done with love and passion. Sure, it was clear they had to make creative compromises, and then there was the hastily redrawn parts of the movie due to 9/11. But none of that really bothers me.

It's been years since I last watched Treasure Planet and Atlantis, but I do have fond memories of them both either.

How I feel. I miss having a movie that challenges you sometimes. L&S was pretty special for all that you've said about it.

Count groudon

Saltier than Njord's left testicle
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

It's been years since I last watched Treasure Planet and Atlantis, but I do have fond memories of them both as well.

That’s exactly it! I always felt like the old classic Disney movies were just sort of bland. It’s like when they’re producing most of their movies they don’t really put much soul into it if it makes sense. Even as a kid I couldn’t really enjoy the classics because to me it just felt like they were just taking old fairy tales, dumbing then down, and adding various songs just so that parents would also have a soundtrack that they’d have to buy after their kids saw the movie. I personally believe they’re at the best when they come up with something original and give a cool interesting twist. I guess I just don’t care for Disney because they have some underrated gems that show that they have so much more potential, but they’d rather stick to making the usual princess/cute stories because it’s what sells.
Hmm Unpopular Opinion? That movie is way fucking over-rated. It is an okay flick to watch once a year maybe. It is not good enough to sit through twice a year because it has two holidays in it.
I wholeheartedly agree that it is very overrated. It’s just a cool little movie about monsters wanting to try working with a cute happy holiday for a change but they fuck it up because they can’t not make scary shit. It’s definitely not a masterpiece, but I’ve liked it since I was a kid and I’m fine with what it is.

• Winner
Reactions: Shokew

SamTheEagle

What if the true lolcow is inside us?
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, looking back I could kinda tell as a little kid that there was just something... off about most of Disney's stuff to me. Like it felt overly sweet or sanitized,
I loved Sleeping Beauty as a kid, mostly due to its medieval setting, but it drove me nuts that the movie gives Prince Phillip a sword, shield, and countless monsters to slay, then the fairies ruin it all by turning the monsters into flowers and bubbles or what-have-you. Finally got the hack and slash I wanted when the Lord of the Rings movies came out.

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
Action shows are severely overrated by the "cartoon community", while silly comedies are usually labeled as bad instantly
Have to agree wholeheartedly. I LOVE BOTH genres (action/drama and comedy - based), but it all needs to be done well, is all I'm asking. No more pandering / holding back / SJWBS.

However, if I must be truly honest here for a goddamn moment, the West sorely needs to cut back on comedy just a little and make MORE action / drama - based cartoons, not less - especially since we're slowly but surely getting the right idea now, thanks to streaming services stepping up with this genre for once. Going forward, there should really be a balance between both, no matter fucking what.

Admittedly enough, I think the real reason simple comedies keep getting put under fire? Not enough of them, without saying examples of course, are as good as they could be, hence why people are begging for more action shows to offset this issue, despite plenty of action / drama shows not being good, either. Again, not saying examples, just telling the goddamn truth.

It really is all about quality over quantity for me. I'd rather have 2 or 3 actually good specifically action / drama AND comedy - based shows each to sit down to, than 5 to 10 from either genre and the output is below average to absolute trash, honestly.

Quality over quantity truly fucking is everything - just ask anime, if you're brave and/or smart enough, that is.
What I mean is that for every one or two Gundam series I'm willing to sit down to myself, there truly are 10 or more lesser shows really not worth watching; something we all don't want to admit to ourselves at first, simply because anime is more abundant than Western fare, despite fucking lower quality control at play, unfortunately.
This is something I want the West to continue to avoid, while slowly beginning to make animation great again over the next decade for itself, starting with getting away from pandering / holding back / SJWBS!

I loved Sleeping Beauty as a kid, mostly due to its medieval setting, but it drove me nuts that the movie gives Prince Phillip a sword, shield, and countless monsters to slay, then the fairies ruin it all by turning the monsters into flowers and bubbles or what-have-you. Finally got the hack and slash I wanted when the Lord of the Rings movies came out.
To be fair, Disney's Sleepung Beauty
is only really good/memorable for its villainess (Maleficent) - same could be said for any movie in that era. Then again, most of my old school love in this medium is courtesy of Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies and Tom & Jerry + MGM's old - school catalog; I can take or leave (Mostly leave!) the Disney classics, myself.

Last edited:

Overcast

Perfection has no age
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Least the way Maleficent died was pretty awesome. Phillip chucks the sword into her chest, she falls off a cliff and nothing is left but a big old black stain where she fell. Really makes you feel like she’s some otherworldly demon.

Tags
None