Unpopular Opinions About Western Animation -

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net
Hans could even be a sympathetic villain- he, like everyone else, is desperate to end the winter (because apparently in the original, Elsa's winter was going to go on for several weeks/months before Anna, who's acting as standing ruler, decides to track her down and talk sense into her.) Hans sees that even her beloved sister wasn't able to talk sense into a woman who's risking killing her own people through cold and starvation, and decides to take matters into his own hands by ending the curse by destroying the source. He can still be the guy he was established to be at the beginning- a kind (if over-eager and hopelessly romantic) man who also just happens to be extremely pragmatic... which leads to him almost killing one of our leads.

There. A villain (in the loosest sense of the word) who is human, understandable, and not stupidly hamfisted, unlike the Hans we have now.

Last edited:

Someone

Stop gendering genitals!
kiwifarms.net
The problem comedies have is that too many of them are "The main characters are fucking dumb" like Spongbob or over the top stoner shit like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. When was the last comedy like The Finstones or the Jetsons where half the cast wasn't autistic as fucking hell.
I have no problem with silly characters, I much prefer them to the "I must do what's right!" generic action hero, like Robin from the original TT, Aang, among others (especially shonen protagonists)

• Dislike
Reactions: Cyril Sneer

Cyril Sneer

The Emperor's New Swood
kiwifarms.net
Oh right, and the burning of gypsies, forgot to mention that.
To be fair, that's more a point in his favor from the POV of anyone with first-hand experience of gypsies.

Hans could even be a sympathetic villain- he, like everyone else, is desperate to end the winter (because apparently in the original, Elsa's winter was going to go on for several weeks/months before Anna, who's acting as standing ruler, decides to track her down and talk sense into her.) Hans sees that even her beloved sister wasn't able to talk sense into a woman who's risking killing her own people through cold and starvation, and decides to take matters into his own hands by ending the curse by destroying the source. He can still be the guy he was established to be at the beginning- a kind, if over-eager and hopelessly romantic, man who also just happens to be extremely pragmatic... which leads to him almost killing one of our leads.

There. A villain (in the loosest sense of the word) who is human, understandable, and not stupidly hamfisted, unlike the Hans we have now.
My ideal version of Frozen would have Hans forced to kill the increasingly cold, distant and inhuman Elsa (preferably with his secret pyromantic powers). He and Anna mourn Elsa's tragic end, but recognize that by that point, there was no other alternative (not everyone gets a happy ending, kids, sometimes not even the ostensible heroine). Cue wedding bells a respectable length of time later. ❤

Last edited:

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
Elsa's pre-Let It Go character had the idea of her magic making her an outcast from her subjects and otherwise have her as a "tragic monster." Of course, Hans is really a member of the wider "Disney Twist Villain" trend where they have a character provide villainy to extend the plot or to account for rewrites in the plot.

I have no problem with silly characters, I much prefer them to the "I must do what's right!" generic action hero, like Robin from the original TT, Aang, among others (especially shonen protagonists)
Aang was a fun little kid in Season 1-2. It was Season 3 and beyond that made Aang a cunt and that's from Bryke's writing (see Korra).

I don't mind Silly either, but there is a line of "This person is dumb" and "This person deserves to be punched in the face by Mike Tyson until they die." Spongebob's characters very often are the second.

Nauseated Courgi

It's an Ass-Fuck-Get-Fucked world out there
kiwifarms.net
My ideal version of Frozen would have Hans forced to kill the increasingly cold, distant and inhuman Elsa (preferably with his secret pyromantic powers). He and Anna mourn Elsa's tragic end, but recognize that by that point, there was no other alternative (not everyone gets a happy ending, kids, sometimes not even the ostensible heroine). Cue wedding bells a respectable length of time later. ❤
That sounds needlessly dark for a Disney movie (before you say it, yes, I'm aware of some of the villain's deaths in the older films), especially if we're going off of the hasty change to no longer making her the villain. I'd much prefer the sympathetic villain route other people in the thread thought up of.

Pitere pit

Yaniv are you ok? Are you ok? Are you ok Yaniv?
kiwifarms.net
When I'm feeling like shit I like watching Family Guy. Sure, the show is total garbage, but is my trash. Sometimes I need to shut down my brain and Family Guy gives me the kicks to forget for 25 minutes about the shit that is happening in the world. Watching Peter being a total reetard comforts me in an weird way that I don't know and don't care, I just want to relax.
However, my episodes of choice are from the first seasons, it gives me nostalgia of when I was a kid watching Family Guy with no care for what was going to happen.
Another one is that some episodes of The Simpsons between season 8 and 12 are good.

Cyril Sneer

The Emperor's New Swood
kiwifarms.net
That sounds needlessly dark for a Disney movie (before you say it, yes, I'm aware of some of the villain's deaths in the older films), especially if we're going off of the hasty change to no longer making her the villain.
I prefer Elsa as the villain.

I'd much prefer the sympathetic villain route other people in the thread thought up of.
I grew up on the Narnia books and Tolkien's legendarium, so I've always had a very strong affinity for sadness, melancholy and loss in my entertainment, and as such, as much as I've enjoyed Disney movies in general for as far back as I can remember, once I got a bit older I began to feel that many of their stories were a bit too sanitized (particularly as I began to develop an awareness of how dark some of the source materials could get). I'm not really a huge fan of talking animal movies but I have to give a great deal of credit to Bambi and the Lion King for making the violent deaths of one of the protagonists' parents a central element of the story, rather than merely having them inexplicably MIA at the beginning of the movie. I wish more films in the pop-culture-tdominating-and-defining Disney oeuvre were more like that... hell, my dream Disney animated feature would be a sequel to The Sword in the Stone, showing a now-grown King Arthur as his kingdom gradually falls apart before the final, fatal confrontation with Mordred at the Battle of Camlann.

That+is+from+fate+apocrypha+arthur+stabs+mordred+_1f512bc825400dd76d33f45486bfe6d5.jpg

I don't get why Bob's Burgers is so popular.
I've never had any desire to watch it. I find the art-style extremely off-putting.

Reactions: Dead Mime

Duncan Hills Coffee

Pees out the side of his dick
kiwifarms.net
I grew up on the Narnia books and Tolkien's legendarium, so I've always had a very strong affinity for sadness, melancholy and loss in my entertainment, and as such, as much as I've enjoyed Disney movies in general for as far back as I can remember, once I got a bit older I began to feel that many of their stories were a bit too sanitized (particularly as I began to develop an awareness of how dark some of the source materials could get).
Funnily enough, Tolkien and Lewis had issues with Disney for precisely the reasons you mentioned. They went to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and they were put off at how clean and sanitized Disney made the dwarves and the story at large. Tolkien was particularly irritated because he spent his life studying Scandinavian folklore and legends, and here's Disney popularizing a decidedly cleaner version of those stories. Lewis was more forgiving than Tolkien, praising the use of shadows and the terrifying bits, but even so they both shared opinions on how Disney treated the source material.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Funnily enough, Tolkien and Lewis had issues with Disney for precisely the reasons you mentioned. They went to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and they were put off at how clean and sanitized Disney made the dwarves and the story at large. Tolkien was particularly irritated because he spent his life studying Scandinavian folklore and legends, and here's Disney popularizing a decidedly cleaner version of those stories. Lewis was more forgiving than Tolkien, praising the use of shadows and the terrifying bits, but even so they both shared opinions on how Disney treated the source material.
Tolkien absolutely refused to let Disney do an adaptation of his works. (I think he was dead by the time the Rankin-Bass version came out, but I don't think he'd have liked that either... nor, for that matter, any film version of his works.)

thegooddoctor

kiwifarms.net
My personal unpopular Opinions on a few major Animation Studios and Adult Animation: WARNING Sperging Incoming

Aside from a few exceptions, Disney films in the 2010s have totally beaten Pixar’s by a wide stretch, not in animation no way, Pixar still have overall more beautiful films with better texture work, but Disney of course have beautiful films and are in a close second, It’s just I prefer Pixar’s more unique and appealing characters at times. No In their characters Stories and overall Entertainment value, Disney’s animated movies are better than they’ve ever been, virtually every film they’ve released in the 2010s aside from maybe Ralph breaks the Internet is of objectively very good quality, Their scripts are engaging well written and feel genuinely Disney in their Tone, the characters are memorable and likeable, and the worlds take risks that Disney would never dream of doing before. Pixar really have became more business-like in their approach to making films, and their films really have felt quite dull in a lot of their sequels the previous decade, they feel more content to be ‘good’ rather than fantastic like they were pretty much all throughout the 2000s and half of the 1990s. Their seemingly lowered ambitions and more passive approach to filmmaking is quite sad to see, but they seem to be on the mind with their intriguing new Soul coming up this Summer. I love the visuals to the film and seems to go in a more ambitious and experimental direction that is reminiscent of their earlier work. Meanwhile I feel like Disney have just made massive hit after another such as Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Moana, and the COLLOSAL Money Machine that is the Frozen Franchise.

Adult Cartoons: Yes you’ve heard it before, but yes I agree Bobs burgers is so much more likeable and funnier than Family guy or Zombie Simpson’s in every conceivable way, The characters while ugly looking, have immense charm and likability and don’t grate on me like they do a lot of people who can’t get into the series. Bob belcher is actually a decent father who cares about his families needs which is honestly almost unheard of in all of Adult animation, Linda is honestly kinda fun with her dork mom attitude and her chemistry with Bob is believable and very endearing, Tina is fucking hilarious with her monotone voice and random sayings, Louise is so adorable and quick witted and steals every scene she’s in, and Gene well, Gene says stuff that probably shouldn’t be said but is funny as fuck with his immaturity and non-sequitors in every scene. Yeah If you haven’t watched Bobs Burgers watch it now, It’s got the likability and charactersof Old Simpson’s but combined with the quick wit and vulgarity of earlier Family Guy without all the uneccesary violence and mean spirited tone and characters. A perfect middle ground.
Kids Cartoons- (Quick list)

- Chowder is the most underrated af CN show ever and didn’t deserve to be cancelled as early as it did, Really hope they have a revival or some kind of Tv Special with the Original Creator some days but considering how remakes are so badly butchered on the channel
It seems extremely uncertain it'll
Turn out at least tolerable.
- Teen Titans Go is actually pretty funny at times, yeah it’s pretty dumb and doesn’t try at all to be high art or whatever but it is light fun for a bit and entertains you, which is sometimes all a cartoon should really should be if your bored and want some pure, simple and colourful animated fun.
- The amazing world of Gumball is CN cleverest and best animated show of all time, and really does deserve all the praise it gets, It’s arguably better than Adventure Time or Regular show, which I personally loved during the shows run, but I have to admit the visuals are better and it’s overall a better written show than either of those two.
-The Golden Era of kids cartoons is the 2000s, not the 90s, Yes the 90s started so many incredible shows that we all know and are obsessively nostalgic for these days. But early 2000s cartoons expanded on these trends set in 90s animation and fine tuned them massively with better animation, stories and more compelling characters. That’s just fact and 90s kids can bitch at me but I know this is just the truth.
-Fairly Odd parents whilst good in it’s early seasons, Is overall a trash show that should’ve been nuked in 2008, It had a bigger nosedive in quality tan any Nickelodeon show I’ve seen yet, and possibly cartoon in general.
- Cartoon Network is currently the best it’s ever been
-Most Netflix cartoons are fantastic
- Nickelodeon Is worse than it’s ever been at this point
-Most 80s cartoons have aged poorly and are actually pretty objectively bad.
- Hanna and Barbara Cartoons are genuinely entertaining in a charmingly crummy sort of way
- The original Teen Titans is VASTLY overrated, Justice League and TMNT as well as many other action cartoons are so much better.
-Scooby Doo Is a Non- Ironic Great And Entertaining Cartoon, with some great action and Horror.
- Most Disney Channel animated shows are Trash
- My little Pony FIM Does deserve the love it gets and Is genuinely well written and animated, but the fan base of course are pretty fucking horrible and deserve most of the hate they receive, not all, but most
-Legend if Korea is nearly as good as the TLA If not better
- Johnny Bravo kind of sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I'm feeling like shit I like watching Family Guy. Sure, the show is total garbage, but is my trash. Sometimes I need to shut down my brain and Family Guy gives me the kicks to forget for 25 minutes about the shit that is happening in the world. Watching Peter being a total reetard comforts me in an weird way that I don't know and don't care, I just want to relax.
However, my episodes of choice are from the first seasons, it gives me nostalgia of when I was a kid watching Family Guy with no care for what was going to happen.
Another one is that some episodes of The Simpsons between season 8 and 12 are good.
Watch F is for Family. It's a version of Family Guy that's actually good with no cut away gags.

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
They went to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and they were put off at how clean and sanitized Disney made the dwarves and the story at large. Tolkien was particularly irritated because he spent his life studying Scandinavian folklore and legends, and here's Disney popularizing a decidedly cleaner version of those stories.
Wtf?? Snow White isn't a fairy tale from scandinavia. The dwarves come from the hessian version of Snow White. Also Scandinavians didn't invent dwarves.

So he was irritated that a disney cartoon movie for children about a german fairy tale was different from the scandinavian folklore he studied (which would mean he was a fucking idiot)??

Doubt.

Tags
None