Unpopular Opinions About Western Animation -

PopRocks

it prounouced Ca-Kow!
kiwifarms.net
Ok-KO would be a fun show if...A: Got a better art-style And B: didn't do those episode with a political bent to them like No More Pow Cards And Let Not Be Skeletons.
And cut down on the references and crossovers with old shows. Yes, I am aware of those references old shows, but that's because I'm an old fart and was around for those shows. What kid under 10 even knows what Captain Planet or Ghoul School is? And as for the crossovers, I know CN did a lot crossovers back in the day but they tended to crossover with shows that were at least airing at the same time.

Brit Crust

Most Fashionable Bitch In Tremorton
kiwifarms.net
And cut down on the references and crossovers with old shows. Yes, I am aware of those references old shows, but that's because I'm an old fart and was around for those shows. What kid under 10 even knows what Captain Planet or Ghoul School is? And as for the crossovers, I know CN did a lot crossovers back in the day but they tended to crossover with shows that were at least airing at the same time.
Indeed. There's nothing wrong with slipping in references that older viewers would understand and appreciate in children's media, but O.K. K.O. seems to be too indulgent in doing so. As if the show staff were making the show itself more for themselves rather than for its intended audience. It could explain why it didn't last longer, nor was it a huge hit with its target demographic.

Uncanny Valley

NO LIVES MATTER
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Indeed. There's nothing wrong with slipping in references that older viewers would understand and appreciate in children's media, but O.K. K.O. seems to be too indulgent in doing so. As if the show staff were making the show itself more for themselves rather than for its intended audience. It could explain why it didn't last longer, nor was it a huge hit with its target demographic.
I don't think anything on CN has a target audience anymore.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
watching old Beavis and Butthead from the King Turd collection
I feel a nostalgia for those S2 episodes they beat into the fucking ground that I don't feel for the early stuff that got memory holed.

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
I don't think anything on CN has a target audience anymore.
My only guess is man-children from the 90's, but then you have reboots like Thundercats Roar that spit on the original show so that already disproves my claim.

I think that they're ultimately trying trying to replicate the system of old theatrical cartoons where they often didnt have a target audience per se, they just did whatever they thought was funny. Thing is that it was more or less a job back then, it wasnt an outlet for creators to ship characters or drop their gender-political beliefs.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think that they're ultimately trying trying to replicate the system of old theatrical cartoons where they often didnt have a target audience per se, they just did whatever they thought was funny. Thing is that it was more or less a job back then, it wasnt an outlet for creators to ship characters or drop their gender-political beliefs.
Yep. People forgot what a job meant these days.

Last edited:

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My only guess is man-children from the 90's, but then you have reboots like Thundercats Roar that spit on the original show so that already disproves my claim.
one of these "bitch about cartoons" threads I observed that I've never seen Steven Universe or Adventure Time or any of that stuff on any tshirt any kid wore at any supermarket ever, only nerds
kids wear capeshit, paw patrol, and other crap like paw patrol
obviously it's not a comprehensive survey of the matter, but I find it telling
I'm sure from Season Two on the show finally found its footing.
the early stuff has some pretty solid material, like the time they go to Mexico and bash a kid's head in with a bat
but that batch they ran into the fucking ground has its own special place in my heart
there's more depth to the content like the time they're hauling around a dead thing trying to sell fur, but the earliest stuff has some enjoyable material
sorta like KTMA and Season 1 MST3k

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
the early stuff has some pretty solid material, like the time they go to Mexico and bash a kid's head in with a bat
but that batch they ran into the fucking ground has its own special place in my heart
there's more depth to the content like the time they're hauling around a dead thing trying to sell fur, but the earliest stuff has some enjoyable material
sorta like KTMA and Season 1 MST3k
Yep, that Mexico episode was gold and it didn't surprise me when half the episode dissipated shortly after it aired.

Nauseated Courgi

It's an Ass-Fuck-Get-Fucked world out there
kiwifarms.net
Be Cool, Scooby Doo is actually pretty good. I know plenty of people disliked it when it was first revealed but I watc hed it and enjoyed it. The art-style's not great, but it follows the Scooby Doo formula in its own way, some of the jokes land well, and it has some cool monster designs.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot that show existed and I actually watched a few episodes of it. Is it still going or was it cancelled?

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the first season of The Simpsons was the best and the show as a whole was good when it was still about a relateable Middle American family and not what it became after season 2 or so.
Impressed someone's in my camp about season one!

• Winner
Reactions: TaimuRadiu
Tags
None