Unpopular Opinions About Western Animation -

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
I think the first season of The Simpsons was the best and the show as a whole was good when it was still about a relateable Middle American family and not what it became after season 2 or so.
Imo Season 1 had the best animation, back when Klasky Csupo was more involved. The babysitter episode in particular was fun to watch, with the babysitters weird snake-like movements that made here all the more weird to watch.

There was a bit of a stir between Brooks and Csupo over that one, it came down to Csupo being fine with the weird rubbery animation while Brooks wanted the show about yellow bulge-eyed big mouthed-muppets to have realistic movement, which is why the animation looks so stiff these days. Also, more North Korean animators.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
I'm reminded of how Homer's Enemy is said to have more or less killed the Simpsons since it was one whole episode where a "normal" man points out how ridiculous Springfield is (that Homer could've had a job maintaining a power plant with his level of educational status, hadn't killed himself by now, have such a nice house with a pretty wife and three kids, be an astronaut who also got to go drinking with a president).

Last edited:

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Imo Season 1 had the best animation, back when Klasky Csupo was more involved. The babysitter episode in particular was fun to watch, with the babysitters weird snake-like movements that made here all the more weird to watch.

There was a bit of a stir between Brooks and Csupo over that one, it came down to Csupo being fine with the weird rubbery animation while Brooks wanted the show about yellow bulge-eyed big mouthed-muppets to have realistic movement, which is why the animation looks so stiff these days. Also, more North Korean animators.
I wouldn't doubt the show had a lot of back and forth in those early years and it's the Brooks side that won the argument eventually. That first season always felt fresh to me as it came out at a time when animation started to get some appreciation again, and there were similar stuff around that time that followed such a look, like the NFB short "The Cat Came Back".

• Agree
Reactions: Dark Emporer Dood

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
which is why the animation looks so stiff these days.
The animation is stiff nowadays because it saves money to only use certain poses and since it's all done on computers, it's easy to pull a Buckley. That animation of Homer walking with the rasta hat on at Lalapalooza would never be done today because it's too much work and too expensive.

I wouldn't doubt the show had a lot of back and forth in those early years and it's the Brooks side that won the argument eventually. That first season always felt fresh to me as it came out at a time when animation started to get some appreciation again, and there were similar stuff around that time that followed such a look, like the NFB short "The Cat Came Back".
I think the first season lacks polish. I don't mind loose animation, but there was a lot of stuff that wasn't settled, like the layout of the house, and part of the opening has some weird stuff going on with the background, especially the part with the group of people rushing down the street. But considering the Simpsons isn't as exaggerated as like Ren and Stimpy, I do prefer the animation of the golden era episodes.

Last edited:

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
That animation of Homer walking with the rasta hat on at Lalapalooza would never be done today because it's too much work and too expensive.
Based on what I've heard about Groening and Brooks inputs on the show, they want a certain level of realism in the animation despite the shows cartoony aesthetic, I dont think its tied into budget (just look at what the VAs get paid, the value of the IP itself, on top of Disney owning it). Still, my main interest is in the rumors of North Korea lending a hand for the movie.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Based on what I've heard about Groening and Brooks inputs on the show, they want a certain level of realism in the animation despite the shows cartoony aesthetic, I dont think its tied into budget (just look at what the VAs get paid, the value of the IP itself, on top of Disney owning it). Still, my main interest is in the rumors of North Korea lending a hand for the movie.
It's kind of an open secret that South Korean studios occasionally outsource their work northward.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net

It was also a problem with AKOM in their first non-Marvel project and at the time, a studio known for their terrible animation on those cartoons. They had no idea what the hell was going on and just winged it to mixed results (usualy on par with their Transformers work, if the test reel is any indication). I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for Season 1 as a whole though, given the amount of animation and design quirks that were mostly ironed out come Season 2.

It's kind of an open secret that South Korean studios occasionally outsource their work northward.
I think the movie commentary mentioned Rough Draft farming work out to the North for the film. No idea if (or how often) it happened on the show itself, or if AKOM or Anivision followed suit.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
They used to use a lot of angles and techniques back in the day they refuse to now because of the cost. See how many times the characters are stuck in a 3/4s pose nowadays, they won't deviate from that pose unless neccessary.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They used to use a lot of angles and techniques back in the day they refuse to now because of the cost. See how many times the characters are stuck in a 3/4s pose nowadays, they won't deviate from that pose unless neccessary.
That is true. I miss what the show used to be in its early years when those poses were common.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
At the very least it's not Family Guy where it's 80% the same stale far shot. That drives me up the wall, especially post HD transition.

• Feels
Reactions: frozenrunner

Dafuqisdis?

kiwifarms.net
Anime is a dead genre. Nothing in the past decade has any sort of crossover appeal like a lot of the stuff that was made in the early decades of the art form. Its now filled with grating melodrama, spagetti concepts and endless uninteresting backstory. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is the worst offender on all of these counts. I get the feeling its meant to be ironic but regardless I find it unwatchable.

Pretty much the only shows that I haved found even remotely appealing have been produced by Netflix.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
Anime is a dead genre. Nothing in the past decade has any sort of crossover appeal like a lot of the stuff that was made in the early decades of the art form. Its now filled with grating melodrama, spagetti concepts and endless uninteresting backstory. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is the worst offender on all of these counts. I get the feeling its meant to be ironic but regardless I find it unwatchable.

Pretty much the only shows that I haved found even remotely appealing have been produced by Netflix.
Stick to your wokeshit and gayshit.

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net

Always remember to read the fucking thread title, please.

IdaRita

draw problematic pretty ppl
kiwifarms.net
OK, so my quite unpopular opinions:
1. There is nothing bad with cartoon being connected to the toy line (or video game or celebrity) pe se. Show can be fun, show can suck, but dismissing something as "just toy commercial" because of that is stupid. And kids love recreating cartoon episodes with toys, coming with their own ideas etc. and it is a lot of fun.
2. I was sceptical of Carmen Sandiego Netflix show, because "reboot" and changing Carmen to hero. I watched 1 season as a background noise and thought it's OK action show. Now I watched it againg while babysitting and I'm suprised how good animation actually is. Action scenes looks suprisingly great and shot composition is really good too. On still images it looks like 6teen, but movement and style of animation is really different.
Also, it is a lot more respecting to franchise than I thought. After all, video games come first and it is not a typical caroon reboot. And we are lacking action and globtlottering cartoons.

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
OK, so my quite unpopular opinions:
1. There is nothing bad with cartoon being connected to the toy line (or video game or celebrity) pe se. Show can be fun, show can suck, but dismissing something as "just toy commercial" because of that is stupid.
The original Looney Tunes were made mostly to advertise music, and roughly 80% of the anime that people praise have a huge assortment of toys and merchandise, if anything having a toy line helps inject some budget into a cartoon.

Tags
None