Unpopular views about music -

The Shadow

Crimson Ghost
kiwifarms.net
What is your opinion on Les Claypool? Guy's one of my favorite bassists and he mainly does slap bass.
He's great, but my opinion is his style is something that is so unique only he can really pull it off. It's the foundation of the Primus sound, it doesn't really work if you drop Les into another band. It's why Metallica didn't hire him after Cliff died...they're like "we respect your skill and style but...funk won't sound good in a thrash context".

But I mean there's also no proof Les isn't a virgin so...my point still stands.

Last edited:

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
He's great, but my opinion is his style is something that is so unique only he can really pull it off. It's the foundation of the Primus sound, it doesn't really work if you drop Les into another band. It's why Metallica didn't hire him after Cliff died...they're like "we respect your skill and style but...funk won't sound good in a thrash context".
That is fair, Claypool's style is certainly distinct, to the point where he has to form his own bands so he can thrive.

But I mean there's also no proof Les isn't a virgin so...my point still stands
He has a wife and 2 kids so he's most likely not a virgin.

Dutch Courage

Curious Onlooker
kiwifarms.net
I harbor a lot of unpopular opinions about music: I'm just gonna sperg away...

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will not outlive Jann Wenner and the Baby Boom for long.
The Velvet Underground has influenced more musicians than the Beatles did. Kraftwerk too, probably.
Vinyl has always sucked, CD's really were a vast improvement, and lossless digital audio files a gift from God.
Just about every great album since 1992 was released on an indie label.
Shoegaze deserved a better fate.
Most of Woodstock was boring as shit.
Almost all of the greatest albums released after 1980 did not feature a picture of the artist on the cover.
The Sex Pistols really could play their instruments (until Sid joined)
Japanese rock is better than it gets credit for.
Audiophiles have the worst taste in music.
Psychedelic music of the 2010's is better than psychedelic music of the 1960's.
Rock band reunions never work.
Jeff Lynne fucks up everything he touches.
Scientologists can't make good albums, and don't tell me about fuckin' Beck.
If it gets played on NPR, it can't be cool.
If George Harrison weren't a Beatle, nobody would call him a good guitarist.
Synthesizers are not evil.
"Stairway to Heaven" really is a pretty stupid song.
"Hey Jude" really is a pretty fucking boring song.
Brian Wilson was not a "genius"
Trip-Hop had its moments.
Even early Genesis isn't worth the effort.
Every step Crosby, Stills, and Nash took since 1969 was a step down.
Ronnie James Dio never outdid "Stargazer"
Joni Mitchell recorded far more shit than good stuff in her career.
Courtney Love is rather likable.
Brian Jonestown Massacre released more great albums than anyone else in the 1990's.
It is impossible not to look foolish lip-syncing.
Yoko Ono had her moments.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi

Logic bomb deployed.
kiwifarms.net
I harbor a lot of unpopular opinions about music: I'm just gonna sperg away...

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will not outlive Jann Wenner and the Baby Boom for long.
The Velvet Underground has influenced more musicians than the Beatles did. Kraftwerk too, probably.
Vinyl has always sucked, CD's really were a vast improvement, and lossless digital audio files a gift from God.
Just about every great album since 1992 was released on an indie label.
Shoegaze deserved a better fate.
Most of Woodstock was boring as shit.
Almost all of the greatest albums released after 1980 did not feature a picture of the artist on the cover.
The Sex Pistols really could play their instruments (until Sid joined)
Japanese rock is better than it gets credit for.
Audiophiles have the worst taste in music.
Psychedelic music of the 2010's is better than psychedelic music of the 1960's.
Rock band reunions never work.
Jeff Lynne fucks up everything he touches.
Scientologists can't make good albums, and don't tell me about fuckin' Beck.
If it gets played on NPR, it can't be cool.
If George Harrison weren't a Beatle, nobody would call him a good guitarist.
Synthesizers are not evil.
"Stairway to Heaven" really is a pretty stupid song.
"Hey Jude" really is a pretty fucking boring song.
Even early Genesis isn't worth the effort.
Every step Crosby, Stills, and Nash took since 1969 was a step down.
Ronnie James Dio never outdid "Stargazer"
Joni Mitchell recorded far more shit than good stuff in her career.
Courtney Love is rather likable.
Brian Jonestown Massacre released more great albums than anyone else in the 1990's.
It is impossible not to look foolish lip-syncing.
Yoko Ono had her moments.
I have to respectfully disagree about Jeff Lynne. I love ELO, great music.

Oscar Wildean

Happy Helloween.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't call Brian Wilson a genius but I do think he deserves credit for Pet Sounds and his influence on rock music.

I agree with you on this one but I wasn't aware that trip-hop was so disliked. In my opinion the worst thing to come out of that genre was trance music.

Reactions: Dutch Courage

Dutch Courage

Curious Onlooker
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't call Brian Wilson a genius but I do think he deserves credit for Pet Sounds and his influence on rock music.

I agree with you on this one but I wasn't aware that trip-hop was so disliked. In my opinion the worst thing to come out of that genre was trance music.
Actually, my list is based on claims I've made that led to arguments online; I am not sure how unpopular these ideas are in the real world. I know any criticism of the Beatles whatsoever is met with threats of lynching (for real; it has happened to me), but a lot of the others on my list seem to be contrary to popular wisdom to varying degrees. At any rate, they all got me called names.

The line on Trip Hop is that it was a bogus subgenre; a product of a short-lived mid-90's hype. It has been accused of being "easy listening music" in the way Sergio Mendes or the Sandpipers were in the 1960's. It has been attacked for being lyrically vacuous. Its biggest practitioners were hot for a year or two and then largely forgotten. It has kind of been merged into "Downtempo" as a subgenre.

To which I say bollocks to all of that, and some of the best records of the 1990's were Trip Hop, and they still hold up today. I blame the hipper-than-thou music press for stunting its growth if not killing it off.

Oscar Wildean

Happy Helloween.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Actually, my list is based on claims I've made that led to arguments online; I am not sure how unpopular these ideas are in the real world. I know any criticism of the Beatles whatsoever is met with threats of lynching (for real; it has happened to me), but a lot of the others on my list seem to be contrary to popular wisdom to varying degrees. At any rate, they all got me called names.

The line on Trip Hop is that it was a bogus subgenre; a product of a short-lived mid-90's hype. It has been accused of being "easy listening music" in the way Sergio Mendes or the Sandpipers were in the 1960's. It has been attacked for being lyrically vacuous. Its biggest practitioners were hot for a year or two and then largely forgotten. It has kind of been merged into "Downtempo" as a subgenre.

To which I say bollocks to all of that, and some of the best records of the 1990's were Trip Hop, and they still hold up today. I blame the hipper-than-thou music press for stunting its growth if not killing it off.
Ah, downtempo is actually one of my favorite genres and I like easy listening music. Trip hop seemed the strongest to me and the most enjoyable to listen to. Like I mentioned earlier, I think that criticism should go to rave music which sounds like noise to me.

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
Coby Dick from Papa Roach has a good and unique enough voice where if he didn't write shit lyrics and had a more competent band behind him, he'd have been recognized as a top 5 vocalist of 2000's rock.

Syaoran Li

Clown World on PCP
kiwifarms.net
Heavy Metal rules and Punk sucks.

Even the worst of 1980's hair metal is far better than the best of hardcore punk.

The fact that so many leftists love punk (Antifa in the United States was basically the foul afterbirth of the West Coast punk scene in the late 80's and early 90's) only makes a shitty overrated genre even more shitty and overrated

Also, Classic Rock is superior to Modern Rock and Alternative Rock on most fronts. And I find it more enjoyable than most of the music that is popular with my generation (I'm 25)

You'd think the second opinion would not be unpopular, and among Boomers you would be right, but a lot of Millennials are very hostile to rock music (with the noted exceptions of punk and indie hipster bands) and they really don't like classic rock, hence the "dadrock" meme

When it comes to music, the Boomers and Gen X had the best stuff, while Millennials have the worst stuff. Even the shitty Boomer and Gen X music that was forgotten by the mainstream is more enjoyable to me than the most popular and acclaimed music among the Millennials.

I'm hoping that one day, rock and metal will make a comeback with Gen Z perhaps as a backlash against the Millennials (who mostly favor hip-hop, electronic, and indie), but I strongly doubt it.

Winnie the Poohnani

Man has entered the forest.
kiwifarms.net
Heavy Metal rules and Punk sucks.
Amen.

It took me the longest time to recognize that one of the things that made hardcore punk so unlistenable for me was the shitty sound quality. The recordings always lacked a solid bottom end, and were invariably tinny, thin and weedy. It was the exact opposite of well-recorded music and usually at odds with how the bands sounded in a live venue.

The penny finally dropped for me when I was reading about punk record labels and studios, and found that this was a conscious aesthetic -- meant to signify "authenticity" by purposely sounding nothing like a release from a major studio. You knew it was "the real thing" because it was recorded like shit. It was a feature, not a flaw.

Metal, on the other hand, usually sounds heavy and beefy AF, with world class producers like Rick Rubin and Mutt Lange shaping the sound. It may be a "corporate" aesthetic but it's so much better-sounding than anything that came out of SST. Husker Du was poorly served by that studio and it's been said that even if the masters for their albums could be pried out of Greg Ginn's hands, it would be impossible to 'thicken' those recordings or add any bass.

Hell, even industrial (thinking Wax Trax and such) had impeccable sound production, while also recorded to be as abrasive and in-yer-face as hardcore. And hence, much more listenable.

Positron

Subconsciously Suberogatory
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2018 Björk is garbage compared to the 90's Björk.
The problem with Bjork is that she is given a carte blanc, unlimited budget, and the phone book of who's who in the music business, but has neither the discipline to make the best use of her creative freedom, nor the good taste to rein in her personal obsessions. The sycophantic press who gets high on her farts doesn't help matters. Volta was almost good musically, but by then she fancied herself as an eco- and human rights warrior and the lyrics are puerile.

She is a case where an artist can benefit from some executive meddling.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino