Unpopular views about music -

Positron

Ready to explain photosynthesis to Bill Nye
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2018 Björk is garbage compared to the 90's Björk.
The problem with Bjork is that she is given a carte blanc, unlimited budget, and the phone book of who's who in the music business, but has neither the discipline to make the best use of her creative freedom, nor the good taste to rein in her personal obsessions. The sycophantic press who gets high on her farts doesn't help matters. Volta was almost good musically, but by then she fancied herself as an eco- and human rights warrior and the lyrics are puerile.

She is a case where an artist can benefit from some executive meddling.

Last edited:

Deathfromabove

Very shame, much dishonor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Heavy Metal rules and Punk sucks.

Even the worst of 1980's hair metal is far better than the best of hardcore punk.

The fact that so many leftists love punk (Antifa in the United States was basically the foul afterbirth of the West Coast punk scene in the late 80's and early 90's) only makes a shitty overrated genre even more shitty and overrated
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the punk thing, the OG hardcore punk scene in LA and Boston had no resemblance to antifa or the far-left of today. One of, if not the most influential hardcore bands of all time the dead kennedy's had a line in holiday in Cambodia. that directly attacked the left for being hypocrites about racial issues. Punk in general was never left or right it was anti-authority, anti-government. Go listen to some early hardcore and you will find a bunch of anti communist songs. It was co-opted in the 90s and 2000s by leftists.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the punk thing, the OG hardcore punk scene in LA and Boston had no resemblance to antifa or the far-left of today. One of, if not the most influential hardcore bands of all time the dead kennedy's had a line in holiday in Cambodia. that directly attacked the left for being hypocrites about racial issues. Punk in general was never left or right it was anti-authority, anti-government. Go listen to some early hardcore and you will find a bunch of anti communist songs. It was co-opted in the 90s and 2000s by leftists. View attachment 713201
Don't forget about California Uber Alles which was entirely about the authoritarianism of California Governor and one time Potential Presidential candidate Jerry Brown.

It set his political career back a good 20 years!

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net
Punk doesn't actually have to be made by technically-unskilled musicians. Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine are both excellent guitarists, and Marquee Moon still holds up.

Johnny Ramone wasn't John McLaughlin, but he played with speed and power second only to James Hetfield, and that's not a trivial skill.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I heard "Rockstar" on the radio this morning, and it convinced me no amount of terrible music from the '10s has surpassed the worst music of the '00s.

"Rockstar" might just be the worst song of the decade that brought us "Crank Dat", "A Milli", and "Fuck It (I Don't Want You Back)". Nickelback makes Limp Bizkit sound like Miles Davis.

Stupid Fan

kiwifarms.net
(Probably just an unpopular opinion with kiwis)I really like terrible melodic fun pop music. Pop music gets such a bad rap with people who say they only listen to “real music.” I have a big problem with pop music from the last five or six years but I think there is something simplistic about how catchy a song like “Tik Tok” is. Early Gaga is really fun, and the most pop music from 1999-2009 is a fun time. That being said, Pop music from any era (except for the current) has a lot of really great gems, like ABBA, Cyndi Lauper, Beach Boys, Beatles, Frankie Lymon. I would argue that in the Golden Age of Rock and Roll, rock and roll held hands with pop music to create a genre all its own. I really recommend people check out Buddy Holly, Neil Sedaka, Dion & The Belmonts, to name a few. It’s fun, wholesome melodic rock and roll. The evolution of the genre overall is really interesting.

Blake Bumbleby

[yasscat intensifies]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pop music from any era (except for the current) has a lot of really great gems
Time weeds out the shitty pop. Give it a few years and it'll be easier to go back to these past few years' music and find the good pop songs. (Because everybody always says that current x music is shitty, but past x music was great. It's all good and bad--it's just a matter of time and perspective. Which I guess is my own unpopular music opinion.)

downwardspiral

All my friends are creepers they explode
kiwifarms.net
RAP:eminem is really overrated and mostly liked by 14 year old that want to self insert as an edgy white guy. tyler the creator isnt that good and bastard/goblin were his best albums flower boy sucked. danny brown is the best rapper of the last decade.

ROCK:metallica isnt that good. crazy train is a awful song. most prog rock sounds awful and I dont in the slightest care how hard it is a 15 minute guitar solo that changes between time signatures every 30 sec does not sound good.

ELECTRONIC:daft punk sucks

• Disagree
Reactions: Marco Fucko

Winnie the Poohnani

Man has entered the forest.
kiwifarms.net
It disappoints me to say as a fan of Bjork but I agree with you. I haven't listened to her since Vespertine.
Same. In the nineties she was weird and quirky, but in a very human way. For me, she peaked with Homogenic. Especially Joga.

After hooking up with Matthew Barney she seemed to turn into the musical equivalent of Carolee Schneemann, with her Interior Scroll performance art piece. Or its Franco-American descendent, Interior Semiotics by Gabbi Colette. But regardless, Bjork became more about performance art aesthetics than great music.

By the time we reached Utopia, with its creepy-ass cover art of Bjork made up to look like an evil alien with a vagina for a forehead, she just seems to be pulling whatever out of her ass and thinking it's Very Important Art. It doesn't help that the music press lauds her every fart, and gives her a pass on "cultural appropriation" after she hires a researcher to hunt down flute music from indigenous people around the world to use on her latest album.

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net
I'd be totally fine getting behind Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" if it didn't have the worst lyrics in the history of chart-topping pop. Even the Kishka Brothers would second-guess the bit about the free ride when you've already paid.

Isn't Glen Ballard supposed to be a professional songwriter? How the fuck did he okay lines that terrible?

tasty murder burger

If moths had eyes, would they be happier?
kiwifarms.net
I really don't like Lewis Capaldi, I think his music is unimaginative, boring and sounds like every other white boy with an acoustic.

Despite the fact I embraced in the emo subculture as a teen (and somewhat before, due to having older siblings who liked the music) I'm not nostalgic about late 90's/00's nu-metal - Korn, Slipknot, Papa Roach, Linkin Park and Limp Biscuit are terrible, end of.

I do have some nostalgia for 00's pop punk/post-hardcore/emo music and I am a fan of classic metal but I don't get the nu-metal thing at all.

Edit: cus for some reason I was typing metal as mental. Maybe cos I'm mental.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oscar Wildean

Oscar Wildean

OK Corral
kiwifarms.net
I really don't like Lewis Capaldi, I think his music is unimaginative, boring and sounds like every other white boy with an acoustic.

Despite the fact I embraced in the emo subculture as a teen (and somewhat before, due to having older siblings who liked the music) I'm not nostalgic about late 90's/00's nu-mental - Korn, Slipknot, Papa Roach, Linkin Park and Limp Biscuit are terrible, end of.

I do have some nostalgia for 00's pop punk/post-hardcore/emo music and I am a fan of classic mental but I don't get the nu-mental thing at all.
Out of all the stuff I enjoyed in my teenage years, besides Incubus- Korn are the only ones I still kind of like. Speaking of nu-metal, I'm tired of people calling Incubus nu-metal. They weren't even close.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino