Unpopular views about music -

Raging Capybara

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
80's were so bad, even bands that managed to put out a good record with 80's sound, utilizing the best it had to offer, at times succumbed to the 80's stank and sounded more "aged" than the 70's.
80s synths are the absolute trash.

A single minimoog oscillator rapes any shit yamaha or roland released during the 80s. I personally despise the DX7.

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
80's were so bad, even bands that managed to put out a good record with 80's sound, utilizing the best it had to offer, at times succumbed to the 80's stank and sounded more "aged" than the 70's.
well late 70s, early 80s are the sweatspot with PIL, Talking heads, Joy division

80s synths are the absolute trash.
Who cares, its all about the talent behind it.
the best rock band of the last 2 decades had one person who could play and his sister/wife who struggled to hit the drums from time to time.

BenevolenceInDenial

Who are you to wave your finger?
kiwifarms.net
well late 70s, early 80s are the sweatspot with PIL, Talking heads, Joy division
Also Bowie, DEVO, Killing Joke for that time period.
Who cares, its all about the talent behind it.
the best rock band of the last 2 decades had one person who could play and his sister/wife who struggled to hit the drums from time to time.
You are talking about The White Stripes, yes?

Notan Alte

feel good
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
May be a bit biased for obvious reasons, but I think that save for a few notable examples, music as a whole has degenerated into shit. Everything produced in the last 10-20 years has been about either sex, drugs, love, heartbreak, or bitching about another creator ("diss tracks").

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net
Li'l Wayne only became the biggest star in hip hop because he didn't go to the cops once Birdman started molesting him. He's utterly devoid of taste, and his musical instincts are near non-existent at best.

Fucking for money will always be more respectable than fucking for career advancement. Think of how many talentless hacks we'd be free of if celebrities actually acted like this was the case.

Janelle Monáe's a straight-up dyke. I appreciate that she's finally admitted she's attracted to women, but I'm certain she only pretends to be into men because she wants to keep up popularity with dudes who want to bone her. But she doesn't need to. Her music's actually good, and most of the men who listen to her regularly are into men anyway.

Appetite for Destruction is the best record of the '80s. Sure, Guns 'n' Roses never followed up on it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the best record of the '80s.

Justin Bieber and Chris Brown were both definitely molested early in their careers. They're not alone. They're just the most obvious cases.

Tootsie Bear

kiwifarms.net
Appetite for Destruction is the best record of the '80s. Sure, Guns 'n' Roses never followed up on it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the best record of the '80s.
I'm not a fan of Guns n Roses but I'll take this album over any modern rock/metal album any time of the day.

Truthspeaker

kiwifarms.net
I'm not a fan of Guns n Roses but I'll take this album over any modern rock/metal album any time of the day.
I understand. They're not my favorite band. They're not even my favorite '80s band. Metallica, Iron Maiden, and AC/DC are all better bands, and that's not even a full list.

But Goddamn does that record deliver. The licks and progressions are inventive without ever sacrificing listenability, the lyrics are on point, the songs all sound distinct without sacrificing cohesion, and Axl Rose is the best singer rock and roll's ever had. It breaks my heart that they squandered their potential, but they left a helluvan achievement behind all the same.

• Agree
Reactions: Tootsie Bear

Truthspeaker

kiwifarms.net
But Axl Rose's voice is like nails on a chalkboard. If it wasn't for that, I could at the very least tolerate Guns'n'Roses.
Axl's voice is however he wants it to be:

He sings in a distorted fashion because he's a hard rock singer. Brian Johnson, Bon Scott, Jeff Keith, Jay Hawkins, Howlin' Wolf, John Fogerty, and Robert Plant all sing the same way. There are even times when Paul McCartney does it. Axl just does it better.

It's fine if you don't like the style. I don't really like yarling, and refuse to even listen to growling, but there's skill to doing both well.

I also really don't get how you can be a blues or rock and roll fan without liking head voice singing. It's not the only way to sing rock, but it's definitely the most common. It's like being a funk fan who doesn't like slap bass.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Axl's voice is however he wants it to be:

He sings in a distorted fashion because he's a hard rock singer. Brian Johnson, Bon Scott, Jeff Keith, Jay Hawkins, Howlin' Wolf, John Fogerty, and Robert Plant all sing the same way. There are even times when Paul McCartney does it. Axl just does it better.

It's fine if you don't like the style. I don't really like yarling, and refuse to even listen to growling, but there's skill to doing both well.

I also really don't get how you can be a blues or rock and roll fan without liking head voice singing. It's not the only way to sing rock, but it's definitely the most common. It's like being a funk fan who doesn't like slap bass.
Axl is the exception in my book, can't stand his voice, and it's not my fault the radio stations play the songs where his voice sounds horrible. But I don't listen to blues or rock n roll because I don't like blues and rock n roll is like Elvis and the Rolling Stones, I refer to the more modern stuff as plain rock and then I go more toward punk and alt anyway.

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
Li'l Wayne only became the biggest star in hip hop because he didn't go to the cops once Birdman started molesting him. He's utterly devoid of taste, and his musical instincts are near non-existent at best.
Lil Wayne is about as good at rapping as he is at playing the guitar:

I might be a little biased due to being a massive guitarfag, but for me the best album of the '80 has to be either Surfing With The Alien by Joe Satriani, Perpetual Burn by Jason Becker or Offramp by Pat Metheny Group.

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
I don't like NIN. It's like if the emo kid tried acting like an edgelord as well.

Eminem is a fucking tard. He's like that 40 year old wigger in your neighborhood that never grew up from their middle school years.

Queensryche is good, but they get labeled a lot as "a thinking man's metal band" their songs really aren't that deep.

yasscat

yass
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't like NIN. It's like if the emo kid tried acting like an edgelord as well.
That's a pretty wide range of music to be dismissing like that. NIN's music spans so many genres, from synthpop, to industrial, to experimental. Not to mention the instrumentals.

Eminem is a fucking tard. He's like that 40 year old wigger in your neighborhood that never grew up from their middle school years.
Yes.

Reactions: MsStevieMarie

Cackspangler

Mick Mangler
kiwifarms.net
May be a bit biased for obvious reasons, but I think that save for a few notable examples, music as a whole has degenerated into shit. Everything produced in the last 10-20 years has been about either sex, drugs, love, heartbreak, or bitching about another creator ("diss tracks").
Finally, someone else understands! Nobody would ever write a song about fucking back in the day. No songs about drugs either.

Kylie Raina

kiwifarms.net
Try listening to Nicole Dollanganger

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
they dont have much talent and are just middleclass edgelords.

Queensryche is good, but they get labeled a lot as "a thinking man's metal band" their songs really aren't that deep.
Wagner is the thinking mans metal.
but metal caters alot more to emotion, mostly jumping against other dudes half naked.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino