Unpopular views about music -

Lonely Grave

naked and alone, we die
kiwifarms.net
The Planets is the most overrated 'popular' classical suite ever, by the sheer deluge of "I heard Mars in X!" references people make. We get it, Holst was ahead of his time but the rest of his repertoire is equally good. The Suites for Military Band and St. Paul's Suite are much better listens and the Military Band suites are actually the first of their kind (i.e. turning military bands into serious orchestral groups).

Reactions: Synthetic Smug

PowerWomon

Kiwi Farm's Most Hated Feminist
kiwifarms.net
I'm saying that's not really an unpopular view.
Oh, gotcha. I was being dense.

So I don't just have a one-sentence reply like that, I'll add another unpopular, maybe not so unpopular opinion. When people like to show off with their refined tastes, they often use classical composers that have been listened to death. I missed out on classical music for a long time because I thought I just didn't like it, having grown kind of tired of all the Beethoven, Mozart, Bach and so forth. I actually started liking classical music a lot recently because I have finally ventured outside of the meme composers. Maler, Bartok, and Ravel are awesome. I had no idea.

So, my unpopular opinion is that, while they are perhaps not bad, all the big composers have been so ruined by endless repetition that you would probably get a lot more people interested in classical music by playing a little less of the meme composers.

And to make sure I actually have an unpopular opinion this time, I will also say that I like Satie.

Reactions: Synthetic Smug

Red Sun

kiwifarms.net
I don't understand classic rock, or why anybody goes out of their way to listen to it. It's all very important and influential, sure, but I can't convince myself to enjoy any of it.

I don't think this is a universally unpopular opinion, but it seems to be in a lot of online music discussion circles.

Experimental is not a synonym for good, and quite a lot of it is straight garbage. Subverting traditions and doing "new" things is okay but it does not equal enjoyable music. I see way too many people that feel the need to praise something just because its different and shit on stuff because its more traditional.

Being experimental is easy, being experimental and being good is hard. *

*Yes I am aware "good" is subjective, but it's an unpopular *opinion* for a reason.
I think the reason people find this one so difficult to really agree with is that (in my opinion) "experimental and bad" is always better than "formulaic and bad", which would imply that there's a certain quality inherent to the experimentation that doesn't actually exist.

The closest comparison I can think of is that kings are almost always worth more than queens, but both are worth exactly 10 points.

UnKillFill

You don't matter.
kiwifarms.net
I just saw this:
Was headlined on Google today, because apparently it would have been the birthday of the now obviously dead metric fattass who sang it (He apparently weighed nearly 1000 pounds when he died)... and it reminded me just how shitty of a cover it actually is. Truth be told, he wasn't even that bad of a singer, but he clearly didn't even bother learning a majority of the lyrics to this song, because he constantly fucked them up, and it sounds all the worse for it.

I know everyone else loves this fat fuck's cover, and I don't even really hate his version, but it's still overrated AF.

Tootsie Bear

kiwifarms.net
I know most of you guys will want to kill me for this comment but I dislike comedy and parody music. Once in a while there's a song I might enjoy for a one-time play but everything else just sounds obscene because they want to be notice and all it ends up sounding dated like it's a bizarre music time capsule that hasn't aged well.

PowerWomon

Kiwi Farm's Most Hated Feminist
kiwifarms.net
You think you people have unpopular opinions about music?!

I only listen to drone and soundscapes. Alva Noto is my favorite composer.

I try to be so autistic one day that I can see prime numbers in hexadecimal in my sleep. I think every music should simply be variations of pink and white noise. Brown noise if you want to get spicy.

By the way, did you know that perfect square numbers in hexadecimal can never end with any hexadecimal letter A-F? That is because the Cayley table for the modular group Z16 only contains remainders smaller than 10 on its matrix diagonal. Try finding a square with last digit in the range A-F. I bet you can't.

I like it when people say the word "angular momentum". It makes me giggle.

Last edited:
  • Autistic
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

Trombonista

What a wonderful alternative to suicide!
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just saw this:
Was headlined on Google today, because apparently it would have been the birthday of the now obviously dead metric fattass who sang it (He apparently weighed nearly 1000 pounds when he died)... and it reminded me just how shitty of a cover it actually is. Truth be told, he wasn't even that bad of a singer, but he clearly didn't even bother learning a majority of the lyrics to this song, because he constantly fucked them up, and it sounds all the worse for it.

I know everyone else loves this fat fuck's cover, and I don't even really hate his version, but it's still overrated AF.
I actually hate this cover.

UnKillFill

You don't matter.
kiwifarms.net
I actually hate this cover.
I offhand can't remember any other studio cover (as in, not live) where the singer clearly forgot the words to the song halfway through, and just started singing an earlier verse again instead. What were they thinking? I still think the fatass was a decent enough singer, but he clearly needed a teleprompter or something.

Hazel Motes

"I can smell the sin on your breath"
kiwifarms.net
As much as I respect their influence, I can't stomach a single Led Zeppelin song.

Lene Lovich's cover of "I Think We're Alone Now" is far better than the cover that basically made Tiffany's career. If more people had heard Lovich's then nobody would have paid attention to Tiffany.

I haven't heard that before and quite like some other songs by Lovich, thanks for sharing.

ISDwarnedus

kiwifarms.net
I can't stand about 50% of the Stones' stuff. I like their straight up rock n roll, but when they did bluesy/gospel/country/americana stuff, ugh. The cloying mushmouthed fauxksiness of it all, I can't deal with it. I always thought Led Zep were a lot better at naturally integrating folk into their own sound and not sounding like pantomime.

Just about every artist from New York is twice as critically acclaimed as they should be, just by virtue of being from New York.

• Agree
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe
Tags
None