Unpopular views about music -

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Your city lies in dust, my friend
kiwifarms.net
Maybe not unpopular here, but I think our culture in general is no longer really creative and stopped being so into the 90s. I think inspiration is dead. I said earlier the 80s and prior had much better music, and now I'm saying it's because we don't have the talent.

Prepubescent children shouldn't sing even if they're technically good at it. There's something inherently annoying about their voices. I can't stand The Jackson 5 for this exact reason. Children's choirs are the sound of hell to me
I disagree, if only because earlier practice = head start in the future. Just don't publish them singing until they're older.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Fagnacious D

TalmudSperg

New Zealander & Agriculturalist
kiwifarms.net
Originality doesn't really matter.
It's a quantitative way of describing music, it doesn't denote how good something is unless you're an asshole about people who make music daring to sound like other people who make music.
of course it doesn't.
look at Cream, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin.
they were at their finest when imitating American black music.

• Feels
Reactions: Troon Draugur

ISDwarnedus

kiwifarms.net
Joy Division weren't that good. Ian couldn't sing (critics turned this into a virtue by arguing how it makes the music more "tense," but he was obv trying to channel Low-era Bowie/The Idiot-era Iggy Pop), his lyrics read like freshman poetry, and that 80s drum sound has not aged well.

People like to act like punk was just this inert, one-dimensionally angry 3 chord thing until Joy Division came along, but Pere Ubu and a few others beat them to the punch at the dark arty post-punk thing anyway.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Your city lies in dust, my friend
kiwifarms.net
Joy Division weren't that good. Ian couldn't sing (critics turned this into a virtue by arguing how it makes the music more "tense," but he was obv trying to channel Low-era Bowie/The Idiot-era Iggy Pop), his lyrics read like freshman poetry, and that 80s drum sound has not aged well.

People like to act like punk was just this inert, one-dimensionally angry 3 chord thing until Joy Division came along, but Pere Ubu and a few others beat them to the punch at the dark arty post-punk thing anyway.
They're overrated for sure and I don't quite get the appeal. They have a few good songs. I don't think they're terrible, sure, the guy can't sing but that can be forgiven (Bob Dylan's voice doesn't get in the way of his success). My favorite band of what is generally considered post-punk, which I think does deserve the hype and much more, is... well..., not a hard guess. I suspect the reason they're so well known is the death of Ian Curtis and how the lyrics to so many JD songs was his tortured angst.

Keker

kiwifarms.net
I'm assuming this is unpopular, but I think Bowling For Soup is the worst band of all time I've ever heard. BFS deserves the "worst band of all time" label often given to Nickelback and Creed. I don't know if I can explain my irrational hatred but I'll try:

Jaret Reddick has a voice so whiny that he could successfully front an emo band (yet he chooses to do "pop punk", go figure). You know how some people change their voice when they sing? Like how Chad Kroeger, Mike Kinsella, Dan Hoerner, and Scott Stapp don't actually sound the way the sing. Jaret does -- he isn't singing so much as projecting his voice.

He is also ugly as fuck -- before and after weight gain. Just throwing that out there because it's hard to watch their music videos. To be more specific, his mouth is too small for his face, he's got that George Floyd nose, and those soulless Zuckerberg eyes.

Idk why but the group reminds me of suburban fourteen year olds (from the 1980s) in their garage playing ever so slight "off color" music to upset their parents. It's a bit weird that men in their late 40s are still making music for 13 year olds, yet try to portray themselves like an actual rock band. I can't help but feel they are unaware of their place in music.

I found out through wikipedia (apparently it was on reddit as well) that 1985, their biggest hit, is a shitty cover of a good song. (This is the same reason I hate that mouthy mick Sinéad O'Connor who made a career off of Prince -- who she tried to fist fight because he asked her not to cuss -- before she ruined herself on SNL).

Hell, even the name of the band is shit. At least The Shaggs have a name that sounds like it could be a band.

Other opinions:

Outside of memes, Weezer isn't good.
Foo Fighters are as generic as a rock band can be
I don't know who Billie Eilish is and I don't want to know but the world continues to want to tell me. Goes to show letting producers cum in your ass can take you a long way. I heard bad guy in a restaurant and it could've been sung by anyone.
Justin Furstenfeld had the worst voice in the history of radio played music.
I hate ukuleles so fuck the Over the Rainbow cover.
I hate harmonicas so fuck Bob Dylan.

Last edited:
Tags
None