Unpopular views about music -

JohnMcAfee

Political Juice Historian and Software Degenerate.
kiwifarms.net
Slick Rick is underrated and shouldn’t be remembered for “La-Di Da-Di”, but for “Behind bars”.
The music video for Behind Bars is amazing. Classic New York art style that's great to look at, it's almost like eye candy. Children's Story is also great In its storytelling. Its message is also straight to the point, unlike other rap songs. Rick's voice is simply like no other.

Mnutu

kiwifarms.net
Australian rap has been consistently excellent lately, and UK rap isn't bad either. It's only American rap that's been tired and played-out to the point of near death for the last twenty years.
I only enjoy rap that’s either classic, cautionary tales or ridiculously complicated but ultimately meaningless (Hail Mary Mallon in particular).

UK? Rappers?

Seems a mixed bag between bad cringe and fun cringe.

I can only imagine Australian rap is centered around petrol-huffing and incest.
The music video for Behind Bars is amazing. Classic New York art style that's great to look at, it's almost like eye candy. Children's Story is also great In its storytelling. Its message is also straight to the point, unlike other rap songs. Rick's voice is simply like no other.
I think the director for Behind Bars was Sash Andranikian was Armenian, and it was animated by Mark Zander, son of Jack Zander (one of the original Tom and Jerry animators). Neither of them went on to do anything particularly notable. That video has a timeless quality to it.
Rick has a way with words. “Dave the dope fiend shootin' dope who don't know the meaning of water nor soap” is a stand out.

Stilgar of Troon

Facial Fremen-isation Surgery
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I only enjoy rap that’s either classic, cautionary tales or ridiculously complicated but ultimately meaningless (Hail Mary Mallon in particular).

UK? Rappers?

Seems a mixed bag between bad cringe and fun cringe.

I can only imagine Australian rap is centered around petrol-huffing and incest.

I think the director for Behind Bars was Sash Andranikian was Armenian, and it was animated by Mark Zander, son of Jack Zander (one of the original Tom and Jerry animators). Neither of them went on to do anything particularly notable. That video has a timeless quality to it.
Rick has a way with words. “Dave the dope fiend shootin' dope who don't know the meaning of water nor soap” is a stand out.
British Grime/Hip-hop is fucking retarded; absolute dogshit. That last video (Big Shaq) is a legit pisstake. The joke missed by miles, though; the tards who listen to that tripe went mad for it, so he released it as a single.

Dyn

woman respecter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm assuming by 'cautionary tales' you're specifically thinking of 'Dance with the Devil', so maybe try something like this.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
In b4 lol anime music but here I go.

I like Japanese music mainly for the fact the best of its library are hardcore, fast paced, thumpin', finely composed, and emotionally moving on its own accord. I retreated in the 2000s to video game and anime soundtracks along with older music because I couldn't take the slower pace, complacency placating or loose and self indulgent crap that was being pushed out on the mainstream. I didn't get into a lot of the more widespread stuff like Dir En Gray and X Japan, but I learned about Showtaro Morikubo, L'Arc En Ciel, TERRA, and Bemani.

I know there's a lot of good bands from the 2000s I did miss out on, but for the most part, I honestly think a lot of western/US music sucked major ass in the 2000s, and especially into the mid to late 2000s. Fuck, I even still catch up on Drummania and Beatmania because their extended tracks are that good.

In order to contribute to this argument that will never die, I will say in addition to Brian Wilson's drug habit, the toxic entity of Mike Love definitely hindered The Beach Boys prosperity and the quality of Brian Wilson's prolific songwriting. Mike Love was a consistent downer about the post surf era and was always trying to gear the band back towards its initial surf fame (with a few exceptions). I was just listening to recordings of live BB concerts during 1968 and Mike Love is constantly putting down all their new material and the band. He sounds like a nervous school child putting down their book report.
I saw a bit on Everything Is Terrible before their library wipe by Breadtube of a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous on Mike Love. Dude is a total pretentious and hypocritical douchebag if I say so myself.

talk sh1t

Was the NPC all along
kiwifarms.net
British Grime/Hip-hop is fucking retarded; absolute dogshit. That last video (Big Shaq) is a legit pisstake. The joke missed by miles, though; the tards who listen to that tripe went mad for it, so he released it as a single.
I like how this always happens and grime is not exempt from the phenomenon. The only other example I can think of right now is Fight for your Right by the Beastie Boys, which they also recorded as a silly pisstake but then exploded in the charts because the main public are morons. Many such cases throughout the history of music.

Also that Conspiracy skit at the end cracked me up. "You're not the English teacher" lol

Last edited:

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
I saw a bit on Everything Is Terrible before their library wipe by Breadtube of a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous on Mike Love. Dude is a total pretentious and hypocritical douchebag if I say so myself.
Like you wouldn't believe. Remember how he sued Brian Wilson to get credit on songs where he contributed, like, a line? And how he was the only rocker to support Tipper Gore and the PMRC?

Last edited:

nigger of the north

kiwifarms.net
My genre is classical/opera for serious listening, but I'll blast rap/trap/related genres all day when I'm in the gym.

It's not even that I like the stuff, but there's a reason why lots of people pump iron to hard rap music. It fires you up, it's got a kind of visceral energy to it, and just channels some inner hatred inside you to really fuck shit up.

I can't say I've ever been vibing at home and thought 'you know what, I'll listen to some Gucci Mane.'

Ozma (ZeTrannyJanny)

"I remember drinking Kool-Aid"-Buzz Osbourne
kiwifarms.net
st anger self titled riff is more interesting to me than 80 percent of death magnetic. Doesnt make the album good though...at all

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
I really enjoy Japanese music, probably because I played so many Japanese video games and whatnot, but while so much music out there is made in a western style Japan actually has a pretty large music industry and Japanese music is generally made for that taste.
There's a big new J-Pop group right now called NiziU and I just don't get it. It's like J-Pop for people who don't like J-Pop and prefer K-Pop, they even put the members in the ugly makeup and styles that are popular in Korea. K-Pop as an idea is already partially ripped off from the Japanese idol scene but with westernized music. I just don't get it.

I like some J-Pop but still what's the hottest thing at a given time is usually generic or not that good. I can't understand why Oomori Seiko purposefully singing like nails on a chalkboard is popular, LiSA's Homura was just a fucking ballad, etc.