Untitled Hideous Kojimbo project in development - Death Stranding 2?

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wish kojima would drop the act and just directed movies.
Nah, his work needs room to breath, trying to constrain it to the typical running time of a movie wouldn't work.

What would Metal Gear Solid be without all the Codec conversations? Even though Kojima goes for cinematic pacing with his games it's all the little detail he adds that really make them work, stuff you could never fit into a movie.

Kojima's brilliance was borrowing certain elements from cinematic language and applying them to games, but it works because they're games, not movies.

Muttnik

To the stars!
kiwifarms.net
When I think of Silent Hills, my sentiments are that of grief. It was like a promising prodigy child dying in toddlerhood. A hard loss because you never got to see all it could have been. All its dreams blown away.

I can't deal with that shit again. Ever since then, I've checked out. Walking Simulator was a waste of time. I just want some trippy horror shit, dammit.

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
drakengard
fun
nigga, you smoke crack?

man i love dynasty warriors for people on sleepers
The gameplay honestly wasn't as bad as I expected, there's plenty of less engaging ps2 action games. That said I went in with incredibly low expectations and action replay already. I can't even imagine trying to collect all the weapons and level any of them up without cheats. As cheaply made as the game is, it's really hard to ruin the experience of laying waste to armies with a fire breathing dragon. As much as they try to with some of those magic repelling enemies ugh. I'd love to see a remake with actually competent gameplay and completely revamped leveling, but the exact same story and music. Imagine the actual Dynasty Warriors people doing the on foot parts and the actual Ace Combat people (not the B team) doing the dragon parts.

When I think of Silent Hills, my sentiments are that of grief. It was like a promising prodigy child dying in toddlerhood. A hard loss because you never got to see all it could have been. All its dreams blown away.

I can't deal with that shit again. Ever since then, I've checked out. Walking Simulator was a waste of time. I just want some trippy horror shit, dammit.
That's actually what turned me away from getting Death Stranding. Everybody seemed disappointed by it not being more actiony when we saw the final product, but I never got that feeling from the trailers. The way I saw it the trailers clearly promised trippy scifi horror shit and the game doesn't seem to deliver outside of some cutscenes.

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Hideo Kojima directing a Silent Hill game would have made teenage me jizz in my fucking pants, it sounded like a literal dream come true so of course it never happened.

The truth is though, what I really want from Silent Hill as a franchise is a continuation from the guys that brought us 1-3, I want to return to that world, the world of Harry, James and Heather, there's a terrible empty feeling in me that we never got just one more game in the series on the level of quality of 2 and 3, I wanted that so fucking bad, I still want it and still hold out some hope that somehow one day it could happen.

Kojima was going to do his own thing with it in his own world, hence it was Silent Hills and not Silent Hill, so I'm not quite as upset that it didn't happen as some, but still, it would have been one hell of a consolation prize even if we didn't get another Team Silent Silent Hill and now that Death Stranding turned out to be a disappointment I definitely wish we had gotten Silent Hills instead.

I really can't understate how much Konami has broken my heart, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania mean so much to me.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Make movies? Why? His stories are fun because the games are good, there's no real depth to his wacky vidya plots that could stand on its own in another format. One big appeal of his stories is the humor, he tries to be serious but then Raiden slips on birdshit, tries to look up a womans skirt and gets pissed on the head before returning to talk about information control. He can't crack that concept for a movie and play to his strengths with a functional Tom Clancy/Marx Brothers military thriller, he will try to play it straight.

They're good stories for a videogame, for a videogame, videogame, videogame....

Miller

kiwifarms.net
the Silent Hill game never got finished
Did they even start making it? Outside of Kojimbo bragging about talking to Del Taco and other Hollywood people there was no game, just a trailer. PT isn't even what the game was supposed to be.

Death Stranding should have been Metal Gear Solid with a greater emphasis on the paranormal, all the elements were there with Higgs and the Demens but instead the focus was on being a boring deliveryman and having to be non-lethal with everything.
Instead he remade Metal Gear Survive but with a Hollywood cast.

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Make movies? Why? His stories are fun because the games are good, there's no real depth to his wacky vidya plots that could stand on its own in another format. One big appeal of his stories is the humor, he tries to be serious but then Raiden slips on birdshit, tries to look up a womans skirt and gets pissed on the head before returning to talk about information control. He can't crack that concept for a movie and play to his strengths with a functional Tom Clancy/Marx Brothers military thriller, he will try to play it straight.

They're good stories for a videogame, for a videogame, videogame, videogame....
A good story for "a video game" is still a good story, I'm sick of this reductive attitude some have about video games, video games are an artform, same as movies, TV, books, comics, music, paintings and the stage.

Just because they're the newest artform doesn't make them inferior to anything else, in a way video games are the culmination of human artistic endeavors, isn't creating a world that you can step into and interact with what's it's all been building up to? There is still loads of potential to this artform.

Where things have gone wrong in recent years is people have starting using video games as a platform for political propaganda, which is not art, but don't let that sour you on the concept of video games as an artform as a whole, the political propaganda has also been applied to movies, TV comics etc, does that make those things any less an artform?

Silent Hill 2 is a work of art, The Last of Us 2 is a piece of propaganda shit.

On a side note, did anyone else really enjoy the story of Death Stranding? I've been thinking back to it a lot in the months since I beat it, chewing over what Kojima was trying to say.

For starters I think the main crux of it is obvious and I think it's Kojima making an argument for parenthood, which is weird because I don't know whether he has any kids himself, but we're clearly supposed to empathize with BB and by the end of the game when we free Louise from her container we're supposed to feel like we've helped usher a life into the world and maybe we might want to do that for real? The story of the relationship between Sam and Clifford is also incredibly touching.

There's no getting around the fact that the gameplay of Death Stranding doesn't really work, but as a story I didn't walk away disappointed, that makes it worth playing in my book.

Did they even start making it? Outside of Kojimbo bragging about talking to Del Taco and other Hollywood people there was no game, just a trailer. PT isn't even what the game was supposed to be.

Instead he remade Metal Gear Survive but with a Hollywood cast.
Here's how I would have done it.

You are Sam Bridges, a member of BRIDGES, an organization dedicated to trying to reconnect America after the Death Stranding, but you are not a deliveryman, you are a soldier, people live in isolation not only out of fear of the BTs but also out of fear of the terrorist group Homo Demens who are using BTs as weapons, your mission is to infiltrate various terrorist camps and eliminate them as well as find areas with high concentrations of BTs and cleanse them, convincing the disparate population to reconnect with BRIDGES.

Along the way you get sucked into Hellish battlefields and encounter Clifford, but these sections go on for longer and with far more detailed gameplay.

However in order to see BTs you still have to use BB, so you're bringing a baby into combat situations, adding to the intensity, eventually you defeat the Demens but learn your greatest triumph isn't the lives you took but the life you helped bring into the world.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm still assblasted that the Silent Hill game never got finished so hopefully its a horror game.
Yeah, if Sharted Memories, Homiecoming and KORNpour wasn't enough to bury the series, this would've ended it once and for all.

I wish kojima would drop the act and just directed movies.
Sure, let the man with the terminal case of "tell, don't show" waste movie studios' money instead.

PT isn't even what the game was supposed to be.
Even aside from that, what makes people think that he would've done something good with a series, that he has fuck all to do with? When he had creative freedom, he made Death Stranding.

Buddy Booth

kiwifarms.net
Death Stranding is decent enough game, if you're into that kinda gameplay. Being a deliveryman in the apocalypse is kinda cool and it's satisfying to plan a route to deliver a stupidly huge stack of parcels, but that's about it. A cool premise, until you realize BTs are all bark and no bite and the human enemies are dumber than the stack of bricks you're carrying on your back.

The story suffers from the same issue the gameplay has, really fucking cool premise (what if we found actual proof that the world of the dead really exists?) dragged down by the fact that Kojima absolutely cannot write dialogues. These characters aren't human beings, they're just exposition machines and their only purpose is to beat you over the head with the game's themes, over and over again in the dullest way possible.

Kojima needs an editor but I get the feeling he's just surrounded by yes-men that idolize him. He's overrated. Looking forward to the years long marketing campaign centered around obfuscating very simple concepts to hype mundane gameplay and the usual retards going "omg isn't Kojima sooo wacky???"

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Just because they're the newest artform doesn't make them inferior to anything else, in a way video games are the culmination of human artistic endeavors, isn't creating a world that you can step into and interact with what's it's all been building up to? There is still loads of potential to this artform.

Twitch Thottery is the newest artform and it IS inferior to everything else. Video games are nothing new, they even made a movie adaption of the emoji screen on smart phones!

Silent Hill 2 is really good but made into a movie it would just be a knock-off of Jacob's Ladder. If you take the game out of a game what's left will not be its strongest components. Metal Gear is a great game that could be adapted into a lousy movie featured on Best of the Worst.

Mr. Zed da Robot Poon Fed

Goooooooooood!
kiwifarms.net
You can do extremely weird while still being fun. Drakengard and Nier are examples of this. The difference is Taro is competent and Kojima isn't.

Kojima is competent; he's just pretentious and egotistical. That's his primary flaw. He made a tweet one time talking about why he puts "A Hideo Kojima Game" on all his products without acknowledging that without his team of programmers and designers, he would never have them. He had to delete that tweet and apologize.

With Death Stranding, he was so into making a game that he would like that he failed to think about his consumer base.

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Twitch Thottery is the newest artform and it IS inferior to everything else. Video games are nothing new, they even made a movie adaption of the emoji screen on smart phones!

Silent Hill 2 is really good but made into a movie it would just be a knock-off of Jacob's Ladder. If you take the game out of a game what's left will not be its strongest components. Metal Gear is a great game that could be adapted into a lousy movie featured on Best of the Worst.
No no no, Videogames are just discount Hollywood! Games are supposed to tell me stories as I sit there and watch! Movies are a higher form of art, therefore games must aspire to be movies because movies are more renown.

ProblematicUser420

Tits and Abs
kiwifarms.net
Lots of small brains in this thread. Lmao.

Death Stranding was comfy and fun.

Not a knock against you specifically but it always kills me when I see Kojima fanboys call people dumb when almost all of these subreddits and forums are filled with low IQ anime fans who take everything he does at face value.

His fanboys barely analyze anything and just latch onto ideas as if they always saw it once someone does a huge hour long analysis like a decade later (see MGS2 VR theory)

It especially kills me with MGS V where they all take the idea that medic/the player is Big Boss as some grand idea even though it's a retread of MGS2 while taking everything else about The Truth at face value when Kojima seems to be trying to smack everyone across the face with a 2x4 that it shouldn't with the "there are no facts" quote and the entire fucking Paz subplot.

A Cardboard Box

kiwifarms.net
Not a knock against you specifically but it always kills me when I see Kojima fanboys call people dumb when almost all of these subreddits and forums are filled with low IQ anime fans who take everything he does at face value.

His fanboys barely analyze anything and just latch onto ideas as if they always saw it once someone does a huge hour long analysis like a decade later (see MGS2 VR theory)

It especially kills me with MGS V where they all take the idea that medic/the player is Big Boss as some grand idea even though it's a retread of MGS2 while taking everything else about The Truth at face value when Kojima seems to be trying to smack everyone across the face with a 2x4 that it shouldn't with the "there are no facts" quote and the entire fucking Paz subplot.
The fact that his games are retarded is part of the charm imo. I thought Big Boss was just a bad translation but no, it is literally a translation of "BIGGU BOSSERU." Look at Death Stranding, with characters like Die-Hardman, Heartman (who has a heart condition), Sam Porter Bridges (who is a porter for Bridges). It's so fucking stupid. Everything is so stupid.

Fuck, in metal gear, Revolver Ocelot hypnotized a dude to think he's Big Boss because??? and then proceeded to hypnotize HIMSELF to believe that dude was Big Boss, and then he hypnotized himself AGAIN to think he was Liquid Snake. All because fuck it why not?

Kojima is the best kind of hack. He's a hack that makes things silly enough to be fun. It's like bad 80s horror films. They are bad, we know they are bad, the people that made them didn't intend for them to be bad, but we love them anyway. Anyone that takes his work at face value is a retard.

Death Stranding, however, is maximum comfy Amazon Prime driver sim.

ProblematicUser420

Tits and Abs
kiwifarms.net
You know how many times fanboys call me retarded for pointing out Big Boss was more likely named cause he was the "Big Boss" of the game and not as a tribute to a Bruce Lee film? It's like they ignore that the boss that uses a shotgun is "shot gunner" the guy with the flamethrower is "flame trooper" and the kid with the machine gun is "machine gun kid".

And that's when I dont get some insufferable retard who tries to explain his name is Big Boss by retelling me MGS3.

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, if Sharted Memories, Homiecoming and KORNpour wasn't enough to bury the series, this would've ended it once and for all.
Shattered Memories was decent, I wish Climax had been given the chance to make another Silent Hill game instead of Downpour because it seems like they were getting close to making one that was really good.

The fact that his games are retarded is part of the charm imo. I thought Big Boss was just a bad translation but no, it is literally a translation of "BIGGU BOSSERU." Look at Death Stranding, with characters like Die-Hardman, Heartman (who has a heart condition), Sam Porter Bridges (who is a porter for Bridges). It's so fucking stupid. Everything is so stupid.

Fuck, in metal gear, Revolver Ocelot hypnotized a dude to think he's Big Boss because??? and then proceeded to hypnotize HIMSELF to believe that dude was Big Boss, and then he hypnotized himself AGAIN to think he was Liquid Snake. All because fuck it why not?

Kojima is the best kind of hack. He's a hack that makes things silly enough to be fun. It's like bad 80s horror films. They are bad, we know they are bad, the people that made them didn't intend for them to be bad, but we love them anyway. Anyone that takes his work at face value is a retard.

Death Stranding, however, is maximum comfy Amazon Prime driver sim.
I think this is what a lot of people don't get is the "flaws" in Kojima's games is what adds character and makes them unique.

Nobody's saying his games don't often have goofy, head scratching stuff, but that's part of the charm.

Snatcher reboot here we go!!!!*

*Please place rainbows below, thank you.
I always used to assumed when he was done with Metal Gear a reboot or spiritual successor to Snatcher would be his next project, that seemed like an obvious choice.