Untitled Hideous Kojimbo project in development - Death Stranding 2?

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They are bad, we know they are bad, the people that made them didn't intend for them to be bad, but we love them anyway. Anyone that takes his work at face value is a retard.
Every time I have a slapfight with cult of Kojima, it's either "parody" or "pastiche" or what-ever-the-fuck-else. The truth is, it does all sorts of retarded shit while being deadly fucking serious about it. That's why Revengence did it better - they toned down retardation a little and kept more or less serious moments separate. That's why if you throw seriousness away, you get something like Unmetal - stupid, yet absolutely sidekilling.
Fuck, with an excuse "don't take for it's face value" I can defend Quiet man(which was created under surprisingly similar circumstances as Death Stranding) or even The Last of Us 2.

A Cardboard Box

kiwifarms.net
Every time I have a slapfight with cult of Kojima, it's either "parody" or "pastiche" or what-ever-the-fuck-else. The truth is, it does all sorts of retarded shit while being deadly fucking serious about it. That's why Revengence did it better - they toned down retardation a little and kept more or less serious moments separate. That's why if you throw seriousness away, you get something like Unmetal - stupid, yet absolutely sidekilling.
Fuck, with an excuse "don't take for it's face value" I can defend Quiet man(which was created under surprisingly similar circumstances as Death Stranding) or even The Last of Us 2.
No you misunderstand. It isn't parody. Kojima is actually a fucking hack. He is a poor writer that makes insane over the top plots because he thinks it is super cool and awesome. It's also fucking hilarious and I love it.

Again, 80s horror films.

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not "deadly fucking serious" about everything, there's lots of humor.

I think people way too often misunderstand stuff Kojima meant to be funny as being serious or hard to understand.

No you misunderstand. It isn't parody. Kojima is actually a fucking hack. He is a poor writer that makes insane over the top plots because he thinks it is super cool and awesome. It's also fucking hilarious and I love it.

Again, 80s horror films.
He's not a poor writer, he has genuine talent, yes he falls into the problem so many artists do where they can't keep their ego in check, but he's also not a "hack"

Are we forgetting how fucking good the original Metal Gear Solid is? How fucking good Metal Gear Solid 3 is? Those games are proof enough that Kojima has talent, he's not some flawless super genius, but he's not a hack either.

Psyduck

Quack lmao
kiwifarms.net
Silent Hill is dead. As much as i love the series, especifically 1-4, i've come to accept that it was like catching lightning in a bottle, we will never have the same circumstances that made those experiences what they are remembered for today.

Close the casquet. Let it rest in peace...

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Silent Hill is dead. As much as i love the series, especifically 1-4, i've come to accept that it was like catching lightning in a bottle, we will never have the same circumstances that made those experiences what they are remembered for today.

Close the casquet. Let it rest in peace...
I can't let it go, but I would settle for at least a new game from some of the original talent, just what the hell happened to most of the staff behind Silent Hill 2 and 3? Most of them have faded into obscurity save for Masahiro Ito who at least has a presence on Twitter.

Just why in the hell didn't the members of Team Silent simply leave Konami and go on to create games for some other company like Kojima and Igarashi have done?

c-no

Gluttonous Bed Shitter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I enjoy Death Stranding, odd as it was just being a delivery man that kept going back and forth in giving people toys, drugs, and other things meant for their bunkers. That aside though, Kojima does need someone to help reign him in. I don't care much for wacky wild shit he throws into his stories like voice parasites, bikini women breathing through their skin, fetuses used to detect oil ghost, and a bisexual vampire that can run on water. He does however need someone to help reign him in when it comes to things like budget. Much as I didn't care about Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hayter, I barely remember anything from Venom Snake that can count as memorable beyond just a few words he spoke to Kaz in dealing with Huey. Meanwhile with Hayter I can remember all the other dialogues he voiced for Solid Snake and Naked Snake. Phantom Pain was fun at first but what Kojima had going for it felt empty after you destroyed the big bad robot. Before you even encountered Skull Face and his monologue in a jeep ride, you had the Skulls being brought up as a force to be reckoned with but they didn't even get much screen time outside of 5 missions. I don't mind seeing what creative things Kojima can come up with but I feel like at this point, more works he make will be polarizing to many people, not just to long time fans that'll buy another game of his or people that screech "hack fraud" simply because they couldn't let go of Quiet's design and finding something else to bitch about like a paper on asexuals in Death Stranding.

Death Stranding should have been Metal Gear Solid with a greater emphasis on the paranormal, all the elements were there with Higgs and the Demens but instead the focus was on being a boring deliveryman and having to be non-lethal with everything.

I get why Kojima would want to get artsy and try to make a game that isn't centered around killing people for a change, but it simply isn't as fun or engaging that way, that's all there is to it, it dampens the drama too much.

I do think the story had its moments though, the whole finale was very affecting and there was all sorts of fascinating bits of lore and mind bending concepts, like I said all the elements were there for something great, but Kojima wasn't able to come up with a good enough core element to have everything revolve around the way as weird as Metal Gear gets it's still centered around the core of military action, which is the perfect jumping off point for the Kojima strangeness we all know and love.

I think Kojima has still got it, there's enough creativity and interesting things in Death Stranding to prove that, maybe the transition to a new company after so many years made things awkward and unwieldy at the start which is why the gameplay didn't quite gel the way it should have, but maybe next time things will strike a better balance, we can only hope.
The trailers and the idea of avoiding ghost did hype us all in thinking we'd be having Metal Gear like game. The appearance of Madds in combat gear and Higgs summoning a BT along with having the Demens made us all thought we could get a game that could have some focus on combat along with dealing with some kind of paranormal. That said, I wouldn't be surprised at Kojima wanting to do something different, especially after years of Metal Gear games. Expectations would of been a bit different had they shown more emphasis on what the player would be doing besides a few videos that showed walking, using a ladder, and Sam taking a piss.

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Lol the video you linked gave me a recommended video of MGSV being a misunderstood anti-war masterpiece, with the thumbnail saying "they were wrong". Who was wrong, the countless outlets that gave it perfect or near perfect scores? I never thought I'd see someone act like liking MGSV or even liking its plot is an underdog opinion.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not "deadly fucking serious" about everything, there's lots of humor.
Like what? A guy taking a shit through the series? And yes it takes itself deadly fucking serious with all it's pretentious talks about war being necessary for progress and cycle of hatred and patriotism, whatever. All of this between "I fucked my stepmother, don't know why I'm telling you this" and "let me grab your crotch, oh, you aren't a woman".

Again, 80s horror films.
I'd rather say, fanfiction. A really bad fanfiction. That leads me to think, that Silent Hills would've had Pyramidhead with an axe, original OC, donut steel.

That amazes me how people always miss, that after 4 solid games, which is impressive track record, by the way, series went into self-repetition. The problem is also, that Silent Hill was successful enough to influence the genre, so any "oldschool" SH game today wouldn't look like something out of the ordinary. They also forget, that 30-50% of it's success belongs to sound design and soundtrack, hell, even the late instalments had good soundtrack, but then Yamaoka left and... Yeah, Downpour happened. The closest to the formula that I've seen was that little game called Darkwood. At the very least it relies on the atmosphere instead of jumpscares.

Titos

Your smile makes my heart explode :3
kiwifarms.net
Hopefully that rumor of him patching things up with Konami and actually finishing Silent Hills is false. PT was interesting but it was nothing like what a Silent Hill game should be, it was nothing but jumpscares pretty much. But then again I also have a semi-irrational hatred for Kojimbo so it might just be that.

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
and "let me grab your crotch, oh, you aren't a woman".
You seriously don't get that was an example of the humor?

Hopefully that rumor of him patching things up with Konami and actually finishing Silent Hills is false. PT was interesting but it was nothing like what a Silent Hill game should be, it was nothing but jumpscares pretty much. But then again I also have a semi-irrational hatred for Kojimbo so it might just be that.
I dare say, why not both? If Silent Hills is it's own thing, then why not have a continuation of the original series as well as Kojima's take on it?

ProblematicUser420

Tits and Abs
kiwifarms.net
TBF bringing up how great MGS and MGS3 were as a testament to Kojimas greatness is flawed as his co writers seemed to disappear with MGS4 which was when IMO he started getting horrible.

When you look at behind the scenes stuff and find out Snake in MGS1 was supposed to be an elderly Chris Walken type before staff told him that was dumb (yet all the dialogue that Snake "aged horribly" still being in the game) and how Cyborg Ninja was entirely absent until the artist pushed for him by showing Kojima his designs you realize that early MGS greatness had far more to do with the team and not the pretentious asshole that felt the need to plaster his name over every subsequent game to create a cult of personality.

GenericReviewerDraco

Great Value Asuka
kiwifarms.net
Starting to think the pigroach was right about Kojima in his unending stream of consciousness. Kojima needs a fucking tard-wrangler to not make deranged garbage like MGSIV/MGSV/Death Stranding.
The gameplay honestly wasn't as bad as I expected, there's plenty of less engaging ps2 action games. That said I went in with incredibly low expectations and action replay already. I can't even imagine trying to collect all the weapons and level any of them up without cheats. As cheaply made as the game is, it's really hard to ruin the experience of laying waste to armies with a fire breathing dragon. As much as they try to with some of those magic repelling enemies ugh. I'd love to see a remake with actually competent gameplay and completely revamped leveling, but the exact same story and music. Imagine the actual Dynasty Warriors people doing the on foot parts and the actual Ace Combat people (not the B team) doing the dragon parts.

That's actually what turned me away from getting Death Stranding. Everybody seemed disappointed by it not being more actiony when we saw the final product, but I never got that feeling from the trailers. The way I saw it the trailers clearly promised trippy scifi horror shit and the game doesn't seem to deliver outside of some cutscenes.
I think the blind nonce ensures Drakengard 1 will never get a remake. Unless Leonard is made into an Arioch or Tyrann levels of unhinged rather than be the quasi "voice of reason", this will never fly in current year (Yeah I'm quite aware almost all of Caim's hanger-ons are psychopaths, but child molestors that aren't wacky comic relief or cartoonishly evil seem like something that can't be done in vidyaland)

Titos

kiwifarms.net
I dare say, why not both? If Silent Hills is it's own thing, then why not have a continuation of the original series as well as Kojima's take on it?
Because I don't trust Kojima for a second with any kind of serious material. The guy can't write to save his life. Not to mention his trackrecord with handling franchises outside of his own is piss poor.

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
TBF bringing up how great MGS and MGS3 were as a testament to Kojimas greatness is flawed as his co writers seemed to disappear with MGS4 which was when IMO he started getting horrible.

When you look at behind the scenes stuff and find out Snake in MGS1 was supposed to be an elderly Chris Walken type before staff told him that was dumb (yet all the dialogue that Snake "aged horribly" still being in the game) and how Cyborg Ninja was entirely absent until the artist pushed for him by showing Kojima his designs you realize that early MGS greatness had far more to do with the team and not the pretentious asshole that felt the need to plaster his name over every subsequent game to create a cult of personality.
http://thesnakesoup.org/editorial-articles/curious-case-tomokazu-fukushima/

Because I don't trust Kojima for a second with any kind of serious material. The guy can't write to save his life. Not to mention his trackrecord with handling franchises outside of his own is piss poor.
What other franchise are you referring to? Are you talking about Castlevania Lords of Shadow? That game sucked but that was Mercury Steam's business, I doubt Kojima had much direct input on the game.

Titos

kiwifarms.net

ProblematicUser420

Tits and Abs
kiwifarms.net
http://thesnakesoup.org/editorial-articles/curious-case-tomokazu-fukushima/

What other franchise are you referring to? Are you talking about Castlevania Lords of Shadow? That game sucked but that was Mercury Steam's business, I doubt Kojima had much direct input on the game.

Lol Snake Soup opinion piece. Havent seen one of them in a while.

Edit: Didnt it come out a few years ago that a rogue translator was the result of MGS being so tonally different because they wholesale changed shit they thought sounded dumb and Kojima hated it? Either way my point wasn't that the co writers were the sole reason MGS 1 and 3 were so great but that it was the work of the entire teams input more than the single mind of Kojima.

It's a george lucas situation IMO.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was talking about that, yes. He was the guy who had direct input on the character and was the VP of Konami who greenlit it in the first place if I remember correctly.
It was still Mercury Steam's game at the end of the day, they're the ones who dropped the ball.

Lol Snake Soup opinion piece. Havent seen one of them in a while.

Edit: Didnt it come out a few years ago that a rogue translator was the result of MGS being so tonally different because they wholesale changed shit they thought sounded dumb and Kojima hated it? Either way my point wasn't that the co writers were the sole reason MGS 1 and 3 were so great but that it was the work of the entire teams input more than the single mind of Kojima.

It's a george lucas situation IMO.
Of course it's also his team, but Kojima isn't chopped liver either, this revisionist history where people want to say these games were good despite Kojima is BS, Kojima is still the key element in all of them.

Game development like filmmaking is of course a very collaborative artform, your comparison to George Lucas is valid, but we've seen what Star Wars is like without any input from Lucas at all and it's not good either, proving Lucas was still the key element to Star Wars.

ProblematicUser420

Tits and Abs
kiwifarms.net
But that's the thing. Lucas was undoubtedly important for Star Wars. He is also undoubtedly a lousy director and writer.

Kojima is important to Metal Gear Solid 1-3's greatness, but that doesn't make him a great writer. Creative writer? Sure. But not great. And I feel his fanboys greatly inflate his importance to the series and video gaming as a whole.

Kojima should have probably stepped back and taken a producer role on the series after MGS3. I think it would have been better for everyone. A guiding hand in the creation but he should have stepped back like he claimed he had wanted to do since MGS2. MGR shows us MGS games can be made without him having complete authority despite what his cult thinks, but we also see just how misguided games without any input from him are with Metal Gear Survive.

Miller

kiwifarms.net
Kojima is the one who gave the IP to that studio.