US Women's Soccer Team sues for equal pay - Legal Justice Warriors

Lucas Silva #4903141

kiwifarms.net
Generate equal revenue if you want equal pay. WNT should actually be deducted money due to how subsidized women's sport is.
Yeah, someone look up how the National Women's League doing in the US, I've heard its finances are hopeless.
Some might get the idea that women's soccer is popular because goddamn, look at how many people go to see the US women's national team, right? The reality is that they do that just for a chance to chant USA USA USA for the olympics/women's world cup, else the local women's league would do well instead of having empty stadiums for so many matches. Not many people care about women's soccer, that's just reality.

• Agree
Reactions: Ratko_Falco

kcbbq

No controlling legal authority
kiwifarms.net
If this gets any traction, I hope the lawyers on US Soccer does the math and finds that the female players actually make a larger percentage of the total income for their sport versus the men. Just by the virtue of the men's making so much more money. Probably more likely in the WNBA vs NBA, but still, I'd find it funny.
The WNBA would also be skewed by a couple franchises that do OK overall (MN and LA). The talent pool is improving, but it might be a little too late. Trading for Lindsey Whalen made a lot of money in MN, and she sells a relatively large amount of tickets coaching at UofMN now that she's retired. It'll never be the NBA, but it's kind of fun if you're a fan of old-fashioned basketball instead of a game where the players are more skilled than the court is designed for.

Tennis equals out better, because short skirts are worth an extra 20mph on a serve.

Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
The final of the World Cup, not the whole thing, but only the final match, was watched by 1.12 billion people. China isn't even a football-crazy country and about 50 million people watched the final match live (sources wiki and official fifa website).

When you manage that kind of interest, you can demand any payment you want.

Reactions: spiritofamermaid

TowinKarz

Thoroughly Unimpressed
kiwifarms.net
Instead of just suing your way into equality, why not find ways to rebrand and grow awareness for the sport to get the women to draw the same revenue as the men?
I haven't read the complaint word-for-word, but, apparently, the go-to excuse for that obvious counterpoint is "It's not our JOB to make the league popular! That's for the governing body to do! it's CURRENT YEAR! There's no reason it can't be just as popular if not moreso, the fact it isn't is just further proof of how misogynist they are. We just want our EQUAL PAY NOW! Don't cloud the issue with these pointless economic arguments.... it's about WOMEN!!!!"

i.e. - Not my job to educate you shitlord, gimmie gimmie gimmie cuz' muh feels.

This is getting dangerously close to the cast of Ghostbusters suing Sony for not promoting the movie properly because, obviously, if they had, it'd have made trillions, which is what I think we'll inevitably see if trends continue. They are honestly going to try and sue the public, via content publishers, when they can't force people to watch their socjus garbage, by claiming discrimination. "It would have succeeded if it had been a WHITE GUY writing it!!!! So gimmie!"

Marvel and Disney are going to jettison these deadweights when they try and turn on them and sue the hand that feeds for similar "equality" reasons.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

anime theme song
kiwifarms.net
The WNBA would also be skewed by a couple franchises that do OK overall (MN and LA). The talent pool is improving, but it might be a little too late. Trading for Lindsey Whalen made a lot of money in MN, and she sells a relatively large amount of tickets coaching at UofMN now that she's retired. It'll never be the NBA, but it's kind of fun if you're a fan of old-fashioned basketball instead of a game where the players are more skilled than the court is designed for.

Tennis equals out better, because short skirts are worth an extra 20mph on a serve.
Yeah, women's sports can be more fun to watch in some instances because the men are just too good while the women are good enough to play on a high level. Sounds a bit stupid, but tennis is a good example of where women can be more fun to watch and it ties into your NBA example. Women in tennis can't cover pretty much the entire court at all times, they can't explode into any direction in a split second, they're not as fast, they have to play the game of strategy and work towards setting things up in a way that is more noticeable to the viewer. That makes it more interesting in my opinion, but I'm just a casual viewer. Women in tennis makes a ton of money? Great, they earned that money. Women's soccer(and hockey) shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth though.

Yuusha-sama

Protector of voluptuous thighs
kiwifarms.net
They should try playing naked. Viewership would at least increase...1.5%?
In Berlin they organize an open-air event called "SexySoccer"
that takes place every two years parallel with the Football World Cup or European Championship.
At the event, a football game from the current game plan is replayed.

Kiwi Lime Pie

The tasteful summer treat. 🥝🥧
kiwifarms.net
I actually think the women's team has been more watchable then the men's team the last several years.
As others have stated, the women's team has been far more successful on the international and Olympic level. What I think the team fails to grasp, however, that women's leagues in general aren't as popular as their male counterparts. Anecdotally, girls teams starting from elementary school age on up have had fewer individuals trying out for teams compared to boys and fewer teams resulting from those lower numbers.

Also, women's sports weren't too popular prior to Title IX in the US. Before then, most women desiring athletic competition had limited options that included intramural play and single-day or weekend play dates/festivals featuring multiple women's teams from a particular area. As such, they've had a shorter time - relatively speaking - to establish a base of fans and supporting sponsors. Further, women's soccer is an exception and not the rule. While it's true women's sports might have aspects involving teamwork and team play that are more enjoyable than their male counterparts, the fact remains that women's leagues still face a perception - whether real or perceived - that their teams simply aren't on par with or better than men's teams even when it's true.

i.e. - Not my job to educate you shitlord, gimmie gimmie gimmie cuz' muh feels.
This new lawsuit is puzzling. I believe within the last year or two the women's national soccer team threatened some sort of walkout unless they got better pay and working conditions. I thought a last-second deal was made to prevent the walkout. So, the new lawsuit and its timing is head-scratching to me ?. Did the terms of the previous agreement not get followed? Or is this a matter of, as @TowinKarz stated, "we want more, more, and even more"? Also, the timing of the suit to be filed on International Women's Day can't be political at all, right ??

Suits such as this one that focus on strict equality without looking at the larger picture make me wonder if the people desiring this forced equality have ever read the short story Harrison Bergeron where the successful and able people are physically hindered or even handicapped to make them equal with those that aren't as able as everyone else. Instead of penalizing men's teams for their higher revenue streams and monetary support, the women would be better off asking "How can we take our own successes and parlay that into more support to eventually match that of our male counterparts?"

And yes, I know it's too :optimistic: to expect that last part to happen any time soon. It's far easier to sue someone than it is to work for the results one wants.

Edit: Fixed a wrong word

Last edited:

Munchingonfish

kiwifarms.net
If you want equal pay, why keep separate leagues? If you're demanding the same wages you must be of the same skill level. Just make it co-ed. It's current year! Maybe the 10 women that land a spot on a roster (most either benched, or signed for woke points/publicity on bottom ranked teams) can split their earnings across the entire sisterhood. I'm sure that'll definitely be more than their current take in a soccer crazed patriarchy like the United States.

One of the biggest differences in compensation is the multimillion-dollar bonuses the teams receive for participating in the World Cup, but those bonuses — a pool of $400 million for 32 men’s teams versus $30 million for 24 women’s teams — are determined by FIFA, world soccer’s governing body, not U.S. Soccer.
NYT throws those numbers out there without any context:

The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

Women get an extremely disproportionate purse from FIFA compared to men. If they weren't already highly paid and wouldn't suffer woke boycotts, the men would likely win a discrimination lawsuit.

Maybe people would start caring more about women's soccer if they had more trannies.

pwnest injun

Management of Savagery
kiwifarms.net
I hope they win and the result is an integrated league, aka no more women playing soccer professionally.

Fruit6

kiwifarms.net
As others have mentioned, they earn less because less people are interested in watching them. Professional sports are basically a business, and when one business is much more successful than another, the people employed there often get paid more.

I'm not really qualified to give advice on how they can get more people watching them and thus grow the business, but I'm pretty sure suing probably isn't going to do it.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino