Vegan/Vegetarian Food General - "Cruelty Free" food for the masses

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

ToroidalBoat

wat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Was tofu originally made to be a meat substitute?

I get the impression not many like it, at least in America.

Questionable Ceviche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Was tofu originally made to be a meat substitute?

I get the impression not many like it, at least in America.
A lot of people don't like tofu because we do dumb gross shit with it, like try to use it to replace eggs in vegan "omlettes" and as some weird meat substitute instead of appreciating as it is. Most peoples' exposure to tofu is stuff like your crunchy aunt's lasagna where she replaced all the ground beef with sad tofu and forgot the salt. Tofu is great at absorbing seasonings, savory sauces, and fragrant stocks. It has its own identity as an ingredient.

It's made by coagulating soy milk and pressing the resulting curds. Firmer tofus are pressed for longer to remove more water. It has a lot of forms and textures besides just the blocks in water you see in the sad vegan section of the grocery store - pressed seasoned dried tofu, fried fluffy puffs, fried blocks used in hot pot, tofu skin sheets and knots, fermented to as a seasoning, etc.. I wouldn't say it was made as a meat substitute because it's been around for thousands of years. It's more like tofu became another thing to make with soy beans that added variety to people's diets.

I hate that vegans and hippies ruined tofu for us in the West. They use it in their diet frankenfoods as an everything substitute instead of just making actual food with it.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I made a miso soup with spicy tofu last week (basically tofu with added peppers and garlic), it actually added a lot to the soup.

Splinters RCVD ✞

Babylon comes, but there is hope!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You have to be mentally ill to be a vegan.
Or over-emotional or misguided. Still, it is definitely not a good thing.

On the other hand, for any of you who are interested, a good way I know to make a meat-like flavor in case you miss it is to use tomatoes and chickpeas together. That plus the right spicing can end up tasting like a well-made stew.

Mr Metron666

Colourful Seashell Invader From The Planet Metron
kiwifarms.net
Vegans are literally THE fussiest people this side of the galaxy. You could give them literally nothing but cooked vegetables and they’ll still deride & refuse it for not being “vegan” all because the fucking cooking oil of all things is animal fat. Or deride a chocolate bar made entirely with soy milk as not being vegan because a fly accidentally got caught in the mixture. Or even raw vegetables can’t be considered vegan because an animal sniffed them while growing in the field (garden-variety vegetarians aren’t nearly as picky).
It goes without saying that there’s very few food products out their that have absolutely zero animal parts and thus a vegan’s options are (or should be) extremely limited. It’s no wonder they want plant/soy-based “vegan” versions of normal food which are highly-processed to taste like said normal food. They want to be kind to animals, stop climate change/pollution/deforestation (that’s literally the biggest reason why veganism has become so trendy & influential to the point that even fast food restaurants, who would’ve laughed at these lot in the past, bow to their every whim. If cows didn’t fart methane or better yet, farted something that was beneficial to the ozone layer, veganism wouldn’t be nearly as popular/trendy as it is now and would probably be restricted to hardcore animal rights activists. They’re certainly wouldn’t be any vegan shit in Burger King or KFC ) etc, but aren’t prepared to make any sacrifices to do so.

Cheeseburger Picnic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mapo tofu is one of my favorite foods, so is a good medium rare ribeye. Moderation in all things. Tofu can be great but amerimutt vegans do retarded shit with it like sticking it full of cloves and calling it a Christmas ham

orig_sweet_smoky_glazed_tofu_ham_20191118223200527872stz03.jpg

The Wicked Mitch

Senate Minority Cuckold
kiwifarms.net
The problem isn't eating meat; it's eating too much meat, especially red meats. A strictly vegan diet cuts out vital nutrients and vitamins that require you to take supplements. Even vegetarians will still eat eggs and cheese.
Vegans are just an aberration hell bent on pretending that eating just fruits, vegetables and Frankenfood is somehow healthier when the 'natural' diet people are just as guilty as standard food companies when it comes to misinformation. It not what you eat; it's how much you eat of it.

And seriously vegan cheese is fucking horrifying. That shit doesn't melt.
There is no such thing as eating too much ( red ) meat, it's a psyop brought to you by the same people telling you that living in a rented tiny house shitbox and dosing your child with horsepiss extract before fluffing the third world bulls living next door is progress.

Lichen Bark

kiwifarms.net
I never understood this about vegan food, why name foods after the foods you can't eat/don't agree with? Vegan 'cheese,' vegan 'eggs,' vegan 'mayo,' vegan 'meats'? If I hated certain foods for ethical reasons, why would I name everything after those foods? To me this is always reminding the people eating the food, it's an imitation of a former non-vegan food. Can't they invent new names for these things? Is this marketing more for the vegans who are testing the waters for a couple months? How do actual vegans feel about this?

I found it really funny that the 'beyond meat' people found a way to make blood that gets around vegan rules. They make blood (or the main component of blood, if we are splitting hairs) they call it 'heme' short for hemoglobin. They took some genetic material from a soy plant that resembled the animal blood molecule as close as possible, and then they put this into yeast, and the yeast pumps out this 'synthetic blood' (instead of alcohol) in a fermentation reaction. They mix this blood back into whatever soy/veg protein/oil product and voila, it tastes strangely of meat!....well, because we added the blood back to it.

From the Beyond meat people:

Edited: Yeast normally makes alcohol, not sugar, brain fart.

Last edited:

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Most peoples' exposure to tofu is stuff like your crunchy aunt's lasagna where she replaced all the ground beef with sad tofu and forgot the salt.
I don't even think it's that much. I think people mostly just hear about that sort of shit (tofurkey comes to mind) and immediately turn their noses up and make fun of it. I'd say to an extent it's become something of a joke dish because of it. Like mystery meat.

Deadwaste

i hate the internet and in return it hates me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
im fine with vegetarian/vegan food so long as it actually tastes good. even the beyond and impossible imitation meats arent half bad. its better when masked with other shit of course but still

Likely

kiwifarms.net
You could give them literally nothing but cooked vegetables and they’ll still deride & refuse it for not being “vegan” all because the fucking cooking oil of all things is animal fat.
That's literally what being a vegan is. It's refusing to consume any animal products. That includes cooking oil.

Or deride a chocolate bar made entirely with soy milk as not being vegan because a fly accidentally got caught in the mixture. Or even raw vegetables can’t be considered vegan because an animal sniffed them while growing in the field (garden-variety vegetarians aren’t nearly as picky).
Where the hell did you get this from? The closest thing to what you're describing is some types of figs, and that's a really specific case.

even fast food restaurants, who would’ve laughed at these lot in the past, bow to their every whim.
introducing one or two options to a 30 item menu isn't "bowing to every whim". A lot of vegans and vegetarians are refusing to eat the new fast food crap because they use the same surface to prepare and cook plant-based foods as meat.

I never understood this about vegan food, why name foods after the foods you can't eat/don't agree with? If I hated certain foods for ethical reasons... beyond meat has fake blood... blah blah blah.
Veganism is the practice of not consuming any animal products. People do it for different reasons. The reason people name it after foods vegans can't eat is because they are good monikers for a package.

By the way, some people who are vegans and vegetarians for religious reasons won't eat beyond/impossible meat - they view their diet as a demonstration of their faith. There are a lot of different reasons and motivations for someone not eating meat.

His belly looks like a beer belly at this point... How can he get fatter as a result of eating vegan stuff?
Calories in/calories out. He's probably drinking a lot of beer.

we CAN NOT digest plants
:story:

Last edited: