Law VERDICT: Jury awards Gibson’s Bakery $11 million against Oberlin College - Your hate hoax isn't "just starting a conversation"

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is under Ohio law, Vic's case is under Texas law which has a differently written TI statute than Ohio. Now, say, if Clawshrimpy (blobfish pedo from Toledo OH) started going on a defamation/harassment spree against some business, then this case would have precedence.
I guess what I'm also asking is whether or not we can expect to see TI cases like this one happen more often in the foreseeable future as the pendulum swings back. TI or slander seems to be the only way to go after the woke brigade.

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's amazing to me that there are still people who can't see that when they want racial discrimination enshrined into law so that you get a different kind of justice depending on how brown you are.
Ahhhh, but because it's only racism if it's prejudice plus power, it's not real racial discrimination.

Reactions: Otterly

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Amazing. The college has been thoroughly ass-raped by the Ohio government, and the owners of the bakery have made more money in a couple months than their shop likely would have in a decade or more.
That just tied itself up in a nice little bow, didn't it?
Except from the looks of it, the administration is going to just spin it as them protecting the free speech of students rather than what the case was actually about. Allowing anyone who wants to stay in their hugbox believe that the legal system failed and the bakery is still racist, rather than deal with the fact that the legal decision handed down was entirely the right one. And that maybe, just maybe, when SJWs go off on something, there might be a chance they're just wrong to do so.

As has been pointed out, the final payout is just a drop in the bucket for Oberlin - and they seem to have decided that it's better to pay that money than to ever admit that they were doing the wrong thing. This is my main concern with the pending TI cases involving SJWs attempting to ruin lives based on trumped-up bullshit, that they'd rather continue a narrative where they're the victim, now of a biased justice system, than admit any fault. Which sounds good, in a 'great, sue them all and reap the rewards' way, except that most of these people spreading lies, defaming and interfering with people's lives over nothing aren't billion-dollar universities, they're more often people it's not financially viable to sue, like most of the keyboard warriors in the Weeb Wars and Comicsgate cases.

So while this is a good step, what I think is a very important part of these sorts of cases is the culprits admitting to wrongdoing. And it appears Oberlin paid millions of dollars so they could avoid just that, and numerous lolcows who try and ruin lives on the regular are too poor to ever get forced to recant their bullshit. As I said, they will never admit fault - and so I think it's vital that, in these cases, they are compelled to do so, because otherwise the only lesson they will have learned is that the next time they engage in the same sort of criminal behaviour, and they will, they should plan it and virtue signal about it more discreetly.

ETA: I know that you can't actually compel speech in that fashion, at least from what I can tell from the lawyers here. But it's why I think there is real value in going after the obsessive lolcows if at all possible, because they are much more likely to have to fully retract their defamation rather than be pulled into a court case they can't win or even pay for. It helps cut off the avenue Oberlin appears to be taking, and I'll wager numerous of the defendants in the Sandmann case will take - the only problem being it costs money that plaintiff won't often have. I hope more of them start crowdfunding against outrage mobs, however.

Last edited:

kcbbq

No controlling legal authority
kiwifarms.net
Except from the looks of it, the administration is going to just spin it as them protecting the free speech of students rather than what the case was actually about. Allowing anyone who wants to stay in their hugbox believe that the legal system failed and the bakery is still racist, rather than deal with the fact that the legal decision handed down was entirely the right one. And that maybe, just maybe, when SJWs go off on something, there might be a chance they're just wrong to do so.

As has been pointed out, the final payout is just a drop in the bucket for Oberlin - and they seem to have decided that it's better to pay that money than to ever admit that they were doing the wrong thing. This is my main concern with the pending TI cases involving SJWs attempting to ruin lives based on trumped-up bullshit, that they'd rather continue a narrative where they're the victim, now of a biased justice system, than admit any fault. Which sounds good, in a 'great, sue them all and reap the rewards' way, except that most of these people spreading lies, defaming and interfering with people's lives over nothing aren't billion-dollar universities, they're more often people it's not financially viable to sue, like most of the keyboard warriors in the Weeb Wars and Comicsgate cases.

So while this is a good step, what I think is a very important part of these sorts of cases is the culprits admitting to wrongdoing. And it appears Oberlin paid millions of dollars so they could avoid just that, and numerous lolcows who try and ruin lives on the regular are too poor to ever get forced to recant their bullshit. As I said, they will never admit fault - and so I think it's vital that, in these cases, they are compelled to do so, because otherwise the only lesson they will have learned is that the next time they engage in the same sort of criminal behaviour, and they will, they should plan it and virtue signal about it more discreetly.

ETA: I know that you can't actually compel speech in that fashion, at least from what I can tell from the lawyers here. But it's why I think there is real value in going after the obsessive lolcows if at all possible, because they are much more likely to have to fully retract their defamation rather than be pulled into a court case they can't win or even pay for. It helps cut off the avenue Oberlin appears to be taking, and I'll wager numerous of the defendants in the Sandmann case will take - the only problem being it costs money that plaintiff won't often have. I hope more of them start crowdfunding against outrage mobs, however.
If the courts have made it abundantly clear that you can get a piece of that endowment pie suing Oberlin for their garbage, lawyers will line up around the block if you have a case. Eventually all those multimillion dollar settlements add up to real money.

Cheesegirl78

kiwifarms.net
If the courts have made it abundantly clear that you can get a piece of that endowment pie suing Oberlin for their garbage, lawyers will line up around the block if you have a case. Eventually all those multimillion dollar settlements add up to real money.
The lawyers for Gibsons are getting around 11 million out of this, pretty damn good and deserved.

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
kiwifarms.net
I think people are also missing the fact that $33 million can be paid, but, that doesn't mean the college thinks it's virtual signaling is worth that check.

That is, I can "afford" to lose $5,000 right now, it would not break me, that doesn't mean I WANT to do it

So as much as this won't utterly destroy them, the college will have to reign in the social justice enabling because yeah, they can drop $30 mil tomorrow, and not have to shutter campus, but really, do you think they want to?

Do you think these folks value their virtue signaling MORE than their money? I doubt it. If it comes down to looking good and keeping more money being their options, they'll go with the money.

The only ones who will keep virtue signaling even as they rack up the bills are the broke useful idiots who can't pay $5 much less a thousand times that.

Last edited:

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
So as much as this won't utterly destroy them, the college will have to reign in the social justice enabling because yeah, they can drop $30 mil tomorrow, and not have to shutter campus, but really, do you think they want to?
I think a big factor in that is how much they're considering, is it $30 million once? Or if they fuck around is it another $30 million next time, and then time after that and so on? Are their beancounters loud enough to remind them that this isn't just a one-time bill, it's also a precedent?

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
kiwifarms.net
An increasing one, as that's now the new floor, if you do the exact same thing AGAIN, you can't plea ignorance on certain points and are clearly not learning your lesson, so the damages will have precedent for escalation. So if the college were, hypothetically, to hand out flyers to the students saying "Boycott them, the racists cannot be allowed to enjoy their ill-gotten gains from a court that wouldn't support the right side of history!" they're on the hook for another $33 million to START with and would likely suffer an even larger blow.

The "can we afford this loss? " mentality ignores the fact that the goal here is to virtue signal, not win a war or roll out a new product, and if virtue signaling and supporting socjus is going to cost eight figures, they will cease immediately, socjus is founded on the idea that it's no-effort CHEAP signaling to get all the perks of being progressive without having to do much, when it doesn't pay, and furthermore, opens the door to litigation you now have precedent to lose, it will stop, hard and cold.

The petulant concession speech is the last you'll hear of it from this institution.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I think a big factor in that is how much they're considering, is it $30 million once? Or if they fuck around is it another $30 million next time, and then time after that and so on? Are their beancounters loud enough to remind them that this isn't just a one-time bill, it's also a precedent?
The $30 million is nothing.

Evergreen State sees 'catastrophic' drop in enrollment after social justice meltdown

And Oberlin is already one of those, and that was before the final mortal blow.

Take Oberlin College. According to a document leaked to The Oberlin Review, the school’s student newspaper, the small liberal arts college famous for social justice hoaxes has had trouble attracting and retaining students, missing this year’s enrollment mark by 80 and racking up a $5 million budget deficit in the process.
Enrollment drops at schools known for 'social justice warfare'

And if you don't think it's get woke, go broke, look at how University of Missouri recovered after replacing at least some of its SJW lunatics.

Missouri 3 Years Later: Lessons Learned, Protests Still Resonate

And actual students with their sweet, sweet fed bucks are not even the worst hit they'll take. Do you think the kind of people who pay enough to have buildings named after them are SJWs? Do you think some white multimillionaire is going to pay money to have a building named after him when the university is taking a steaming dump all over "wypipo" and people like them?

Otterly

Primark Primarch
kiwifarms.net
Yup. It’ll be interesting to see how this affects alumni donations, endowments and enrolment over the next few years.

I would imagine a few of the worst offenders will be quietly managed out, soothing missives will be sent to donors and an effort will be made to back-pedal. If they don’t do that they have set the clock ticking on their financial health. Universities blow through money like you wouldn’t believe and endowments are critical to survival.

What will be most interesting to see is how and indeed IF it affects college culture. I.e, will they learn the lesson?

Edited to add: did we ever find out if the fragrant Meredith was a Troon?

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
kiwifarms.net
Do you think the kind of people who pay enough to have buildings named after them are SJWs? Do you think some white multimillionaire is going to pay money to have a building named after him when the university is taking a steaming dump all over "wypipo" and people like them?
Nobody is going to donate a $500 million track and field facility to a college if there's a chance that in 2 years, students will whine and have it renamed "Illhan Omar Memorial Field" and demand that all races be unisex and demand that we recognize the quadriplegic person who drove a go-kart around and lapped everyone as the winner because it's only "fair" that such a person who "overcame so much" be recognized for their bravery and commitment.

Last edited:

Leibowitz

Bless me Father, I ate a lizard.
kiwifarms.net
The best part about all of this is that in addition to the damages and attorney's fees for Gibson's Bakery, Oberlin still has to pay their own counsel. If defense counsel billed the same as Gibson's, that's another $4.5 million. And that's assuming they don't run it up even more by appealing.
What's crazy to me is that the defense put in over 15,000 billable hours to get Oberlin BTFO'd at every level. What a return on investment.

And now the interest starts accruing:

heyitsmike

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
kiwifarms.net

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
An increasing one, as that's now the new floor, if you do the exact same thing AGAIN, you can't plea ignorance on certain points and are clearly not learning your lesson, so the damages will have precedent for escalation. So if the college were, hypothetically, to hand out flyers to the students saying "Boycott them, the racists cannot be allowed to enjoy their ill-gotten gains from a court that wouldn't support the right side of history!" they're on the hook for another $33 million to START with and would likely suffer an even larger blow.

The "can we afford this loss? " mentality ignores the fact that the goal here is to virtue signal, not win a war or roll out a new product, and if virtue signaling and supporting socjus is going to cost eight figures, they will cease immediately, socjus is founded on the idea that it's no-effort CHEAP signaling to get all the perks of being progressive without having to do much, when it doesn't pay, and furthermore, opens the door to litigation you now have precedent to lose, it will stop, hard and cold.

The petulant concession speech is the last you'll hear of it from this institution.
I agree but what we saw at Oberlin, Mizzou, etc is a result of 50-60 years of intellectual rot and won’t change on a dime thanks to generations of degradation. We’re going to see a lot more of these very expensive lessons because the lessons aren’t sinking in just yet. Oberlin is going to do whatever they can to avoid paying. I’m sure they will pay eventually but I’d be skeptical that they learned any lessons at all.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
What's crazy to me is that the defense put in over 15,000 billable hours to get Oberlin BTFO'd at every level. What a return on investment.

Did they hire Superlawyers or something? What a hilarious way to waste money.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Leibowitz

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net

Oh, good luck with that not posting a bond thing. Ask Texaco how well that worked for them.

Oh, wait, you can't. They ceased to exist as an independent entity shortly after failing to post such a bond in the amount of $10.5 billion.

Pony it up bitches!

Note, you don't get that bond back if you lose the appeal. It's there to guarantee the judgment is paid.

This is not surprising to me in the least. If Oberlin was competent enough to select better counsel, they would have been competent enough to prevent themselves from getting sued in the first place.

This case reminds me a lot of the missteps committed by Gawker and their counsel in the Hulk Hogan case.
"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net

It's no surprise that enrollment is falling like a rock when current students are watching their tuition go directly to a lolcase where the college vehemently argues their right to hate those same students.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino