Law VERDICT: Jury awards Gibson’s Bakery $11 million against Oberlin College - Your hate hoax isn't "just starting a conversation"

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Oberlin wishes they had the mosquito fuhrer to lead them to victory instead of whatever superlawyers they had on hand.
I will cheerfully admit I could be wrong. But this was a losing fight from the get go. Unlike other cases (say, Vic), they had the school dead to rights; members of the administration actively assisting with the protests, posters printed using university assets, etc.
I'd say the bakery's case was no stronger than Vic's at face value, but having a good judge and better filings made all the difference. Not sure what Ohio's anti-SLAPP law is compared to the TCPA but that could make a difference too.

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
Oberlin wishes they had the mosquito fuhrer to lead them to victory instead of whatever superlawyers they had on hand.

I'd say the bakery's case was no stronger than Vic's at face value, but having a good judge and better filings made all the difference. Not sure what Ohio's anti-SLAPP law is compared to the TCPA but that could make a difference too.
Still wouldn’t shock me if at some point it gets overturned because a judge thinks that the floodgates would open on academia if Oberlin actually had to pony up the cash.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino