Law VERDICT: Jury awards Gibson’s Bakery $11 million against Oberlin College - Your hate hoax isn't "just starting a conversation"

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
In my personal experience, a decent share of college professors are smug assholes who would sooner remove a kidney with a plastic spoon than admit they were wrong. It’s really no surprise an entire college is behaving the same way.
This is why you usually have some asshole suits in charge of the money shit. This leads to crass, mercenary results, but at least among them you don't generally find blowing literally tens of millions of dollars because some batch of cunts is too fucking dumb to just say "I'm sorry."

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
They literally have to be. We are paying taxes to support a public institution that thinks it has the authority to just take away civil rights from citizens because it knows better who deserves rights and who doesn't.
They sure do, but nobody's enforcing that shit. UC Berkeley is a public institution but they sure as hell don't respect the 1st Amendment. And I missed the 14th Amendment, which racist admittance policies clearly violate. I know Harvard (private school) was under pressure for that, but public colleges will do the same shit. If the system was working, there'd be multi-million dollar civil rights lawsuits aimed at colleges in nearly every state and state governments would be putting a tight leash on their colleges.

Considering how virtually every private college in the country is also propped up by federal loan money, I think this should apply to them as well.
I think that's a slippery slope to 1st Amendment violations in of itself. Should Bob Jones University really be forced to let a club of atheists on their campus? Or Oberlin be forced to allow a club of Sargon fanboys?

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I think that's a slippery slope to 1st Amendment violations in of itself. Should Bob Jones University really be forced to let a club of atheists on their campus?
Maybe.

Or Oberlin be forced to allow a club of Sargon fanboys?
Yes.

I'm only saying maybe for Bob Jones because they've marketed themselves as specifically Christian on top of being a private university. Oberlin, though, presents itself as providing a liberal arts education and that strongly implies the traditional freedom of thought and expression of such an education. If they don't deliver it they're defrauding their students and breaching their contract.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
I know Bob Jones's cases with the Supreme Court (of big historical importance in launching the Religious Right) regarding their racism (first banning black people then banning interracial dating) that got their tax-exempt status revoked until they stopped discrimination about 20 years ago. But there's a lot of fundie churches (including some megachurches) which didn't lose tax-exempt status despite political advocacy for Religious Right candidates and I'm sure at least a few of them had or even still have refuse to marry interracial couples even after the Bob Jones case. But tax exemption IMO is a different topic (the national KKK was tax exempt until the 40s, other white nationalist and some communist groups have or are tax exempt). My issue is more along the lines of "is it a civil rights violation for Bob Jones to ban atheist groups". Although when I really think of it, there shouldn't be federal or state money given to Bob Jones or their ilk, just like how most all churches don't have government money involved in them.

Yes.

I'm only saying maybe for Bob Jones because they've marketed themselves as specifically Christian on top of being a private university. Oberlin, though, presents itself as providing a liberal arts education and that strongly implies the traditional freedom of thought and expression of such an education. If they don't deliver it they're defrauding their students and breaching their contract.
That seems debateable. Couldn't they just say "reality has a liberal bias as confirmed by modern sociology so we don't need regressive conservatives here?" Although my ideal would be that private schools either genuinely respect freedom of expression and protect controversial views or simply declare themselves the "secular left" version of BJU or Liberty University and give themselves a "humanistic" charter which according to some interpretations of humanism would ban non-left speech.

Now, I think we can agree that Evergreen College which actually is a public school (and at this point a failed experiment on the part of the State of Washington) needs to be reigned in seriously.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Karl_der_Grosse

GG Allin once threw his poop at me.
kiwifarms.net
Once upon a time, decades ago, I was heavily recruited by Oberlin for their writing program. A secondary (or perhaps primary) concern for them was the fact of my family money. They went all out, from sending a recruiter to meet me to paying for travel and accommodations for myself and my parents to tour the college and sit in on classes for a week. I'm sure this all added up to a hefty sum.

My impression of Oberlin even back then was that the campus was very nice, the town was lovely, and the students were spoiled. I didn't meet a single student there that I could imagine wanting to be friends with. The faculty I met were an interesting mix. The older ones had some real gravitas and professionalism. I wouldn't have minded attending seminars or workshops with them, they had a lot to offer. The younger staff was pretty obnoxious. Even back then they were very far left. I was subtly, and sometimes not so subtly, interrogated about my political beliefs. I got the impression that what I wrote would be critiqued based on what I believed. That wasn't the kind of writing I wanted to do. So I graciously declined their kind invitation to frolic in their hothouse. I still got literature and personal appeals to transfer every single semester until I finally graduated and ended my college career.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino