Victor Mignogna v. Funimation Productions, LLC, et al. - Vic's lawsuit against Funimation, VAs, and others, for over a million dollars.

Immaculate Ape

It was ME... DIO!
kiwifarms.net
I do hope these relatively minor setbacks means Ty and Nick start taking this a little more seriously. They are fighting an uphill battle and acting arrogant and flippantly about it on youtube and twitter is going to make it very easy to feed judges or jury bad impressions of you through subtle means. Making judges like this toss half your case when they think you're just wasting their time.
The more I'm hearing from people in the courtroom, the more I'm inclined to believe Chupp's behavior has nothing to do with Nick's stream, and everything to do with the back-and-forth squabbling between Ty and Jayshaun.

Sheryl Nome

Listen to my song
kiwifarms.net
The more I'm hearing from people in the courtroom, the more I'm inclined to believe Chupp's behavior has nothing to do with Nick's stream, and everything to do with the back-and-forth squabbling between Ty and Jayshaun.
I'm almost certain it was because of Ty and Lemoine's motion squabbling, and really the squabbling Ty has had to do with Casey as well.
Ty played into it with the late filing and the and amended petition shit too.

Immaculate Ape

It was ME... DIO!
kiwifarms.net
I'm almost certain it was because of Ty and Lemoine's motion squabbling, and really the squabbling Ty has had to do with Casey as well.
Ty played into it with the late filing and the and amended petition shit too.
The defense is doing a good job of selling Ty as an exceptional jerk. Not that Ty is doing himself any favors.

I do remember him recounting a few times he tried clever shit in a courtroom, only to have it blow up in his face (He tried to get things struck or not allowed, and the judge slapped him on the wrist and allowed all of it anyway)

I don't think it's a bad approach, per se. It all depends on how he adjusts when he finds out it falls flat.

As the old management saying goes, "It's easier to be a strict jerk and ease up on things, than it is to be relaxed and lenient and suddenly have to crack down."

Newfriend

Bully in a bully-free zone
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The defense is doing a good job of selling Ty as an exceptional jerk. Not that Ty is doing himself any favors.

I do remember him recounting a few times he tried clever shit in a courtroom, only to have it blow up in his face (He tried to get things struck or not allowed, and the judge slapped him on the wrist and allowed all of it anyway)

I don't think it's a bad approach, per se. It all depends on how he adjusts when he finds out it falls flat.

As the old management saying goes, "It's easier to be a strict jerk and ease up on things, than it is to be relaxed and lenient and suddenly have to crack down."
I'm expecting a far better showing from Ty in the next hearing. He most likely won't make any stupid blunders like that again.
I'm actually looking forward to seeing him show off his years of experience now, maybe actually take the gloves off Vic's requests be damned.

Immaculate Ape

It was ME... DIO!
kiwifarms.net
I'm expecting a far better showing from Ty in the next hearing. He most likely won't make any stupid blunders like that again.
I'm actually looking forward to seeing him show off his years of experience now, maybe actually take the gloves off Vic's requests be damned.
Hearing Chupp's age, he's apparently in his 30's, I'm thinking this whipping was a reminder of who's courtroom it is. Hearing several accounts which all say the same thing, he wasn't having any of it if he believed any party was trying to dick around the wording of law with him.

• Agree
Reactions: Ivan Shatov

Newfriend

Bully in a bully-free zone
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hearing Chupp's age, he's apparently in his 30's, I'm thinking this whipping was a reminder of who's courtroom it is. Hearing several accounts which all say the same thing, he wasn't having any of it if he believed any party was trying to dick around the wording of law with him.
It's not much of a surprise considering he seems to really distrust Ty. Ty just really needs to earn Chupp's respect at this point.

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I believe this is the 7th Amendment (right to being heard by a jury for civil disputes), not the 17th Amendment. The 17th Amendment is about Senators. It would be classified as a civil rights violation if that's the case. Ultimately, the manner of remedy would still be an appeal, it would just be different grounds to use.
It's likely a Texas court finding the Texas TCPA unconstitutional would do so under the Texas Constitution's right to trial by jury, much as Washington and Minnesota invalidated their state's anti-SLAPP based on their respective state constitutions. That would prevent SCOTUS review, since if they based it on the U.S. Constitution, SCOTUS would have final say on that.

Specifically: "The right of trial by jury shall remain inviolate. The Legislature shall pass such laws as may be needed to regulate the same, and to maintain its purity and efficiency." Tex. Const. art. I, § 15.

10SorrowfulObject

kiwifarms.net
It's likely a Texas court finding the Texas TCPA unconstitutional would do so under the Texas Constitution's right to trial by jury, much as Washington and Minnesota invalidated their state's anti-SLAPP based on their respective state constitutions. That would prevent SCOTUS review, since if they based it on the U.S. Constitution, SCOTUS would have final say on that.

Specifically: "The right of trial by jury shall remain inviolate. The Legislature shall pass such laws as may be needed to regulate the same, and to maintain its purity and efficiency." Tex. Const. art. I, § 15.
It’s worth mentioning that the WA and MN statutes were invalidated because they required the trial judge to make factual findings (normally the purview of the jury if one is selected). My read of TCPA is that the judge is not conducting any fact findings, they’re determining whether the facts presented demonstrate clear and specific evidence, which is a question of law.

So the Texas statute is probably safe.

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Is this guy a moron or is he pretending?

"If the parties do intend to contract orally, the mere intention to commit the agreement to writing does not prevent contract formation before execution of that writing, Winston v. Mediafare Entertainment Corp., 777 F.2d 78, 80 (2d Cir.1985), and even a failure to reduce their promises to writing is immaterial to whether they are bound. Schwartz v. Greenberg, 304 N.Y. 250, 107 N.E.2d 65 (1952)."

This is from a case involving an oral contract. It's called Texaco v. Pennzoil. It resulted in a jury verdict of $10.53 billion. On an oral contract. Jesus fucking Christ this is first year contracts.

Urbanmech

Got an AC 10 and not afraid to use it!
kiwifarms.net

"If the parties do intend to contract orally, the mere intention to commit the agreement to writing does not prevent contract formation before execution of that writing, Winston v. Mediafare Entertainment Corp., 777 F.2d 78, 80 (2d Cir.1985), and even a failure to reduce their promises to writing is immaterial to whether they are bound. Schwartz v. Greenberg, 304 N.Y. 250, 107 N.E.2d 65 (1952)."

This is from a case involving an oral contract. It's called Texaco v. Pennzoil. It resulted in a jury verdict of $10.53 billion. On an oral contract. Jesus fucking Christ this is first year contracts.
They keep mentioning the Nature of Parole evidence rules.

Urbanmech

Got an AC 10 and not afraid to use it!
kiwifarms.net
It doesn't have to make sense. It just has to make enough sense that people will like it, call them smarties, and get them Popehat cummies.
Yea it seems that thing they are quoting is for verbal contracts made into paper ones and if not all the stuff agreed upon verbally is in the paper one its gone. That's what I think it means....maybe.

IDK I think Lawtwitter should just exclusively fly Beoing's 737 MAX's, they are TOTALLY safe......

TransNig

Xie/Xer
kiwifarms.net
Hearing Chupp's age, he's apparently in his 30's, I'm thinking this whipping was a reminder of who's courtroom it is.
No way. There are judges who are that young? This whole time I was picturing a cranky, senile old man who misapplied the law because he could handle getting up early for a day long hearing and was perhaps shitting himself.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Ivan Shatov

DinkyCowSow

kiwifarms.net
Yes. Most states have overturned theirs because of how it practically violates the 7th Amendment extremely.
This... is 100% false. 29 states currently have some form of anti-SLAPP law. That is the majority of states.

Zero states as far as I can tell have passed an anti-SLAPP law only for the legislature to later vote to remove the law. Two states once had anti-SLAPP laws but had them overturned by judges (Washington, Minnesota). Both of those anti-SLAPP laws required the judge to make decisions on facts, which the Texas law does not do (that's the prima facie part of the law).

Two out of fifty is 4%. 4% is not a majority.

Son of Sparda 84

kiwifarms.net

Man they're giving Nick shit for this

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino