Victor Mignogna v. Funimation Productions, LLC, et al. - Vic's lawsuit against Funimation, VAs, and others, for over a million dollars.

Immaculate Ape

It was ME... DIO!
kiwifarms.net
Everyone see the Sharon Grigsby interview linked in WW?

It’s really bizarre to me that a legal case with very few (news worthy) developments is getting this coverage.

It would make more sense if you at least had a better victim narrative for Monica/Jaime, but they’ve been the aggressors on social media, and aren’t particularly likable.

Makes it seem like Grigsby just really feels connected to the story.
People need to stop sharing and watching the piss takes. The only reason they keep making them is because they get views.

So the narrative keeps getting more and more ridiculous because they need to keep their gullible pigs engaged.

Tour of Italy

with unlimited soup and salad
kiwifarms.net
Care to expound on this lawsuit?
Sure. Look up Cody Pickrodt if you want more details. It may be worth it's own thread, if people are interested. I'll give the summary version here and will throw together an OP if people care enough, although there hasn't been a lot of movement on the case since February.

There are a lot of parallels to the Vic case, honestly, with a few key distinctions. Long story short, an indie comic artist is accused of rape publicly on twitter by some of his peers and some journalists and decides to sue eleven people, including the alleged victim, for defamation. The twist is that the victim has a specific time and place for the alleged rape, as well as contemporary statements to her friends at the time of the rape corroborating her claim. I haven't seen the filings, but she supposedly visited the hospital that night and has the associated records. The very next public interaction she had with Pickrodt has witnesses as well saying that she basically told him to get the fuck away and they have not interacted since.

A year or two after the incident, there's a bit of buzz on twitter where several people (not the alleged victim) publicly call Pickrodt a rapist, along with some other allegations that he exploited some of his freelance associates. Pickrodt also alleges that there was a Google Doc on which he was blacklisted and that a large portion of the most damaging defamation occurred privately. Starting to sound familiar?

The trail is a little cold around the initial alleged defamation, which I'm not sure is due to there being relatively few statements or due to some of the defendants nuking their post history. What is interesting is that once Pickrodt launched his lawsuit, public visibility about his allegations shot up to many times more than the original statement. This includes the usual twitter "believe women" brigade, and an insane amount of shaming anyone who expresses even the remotest skepticism regarding the alleged victim's claim. To be fair, her allegation is miles more credible than the vast majority of MeToo's, but the if any thing the incessant virtue signalling being just as strong here as in Vic or other MeToo's just highlights the idiocy of the whole system. People shriek just as loud for something relatively credible as they do for something with almost no evidence, which makes it harder to tell the difference from the outside. It's more about the cause than it is about individual cases, although it's an interesting hypothetical as to what would you do if a trusted friend told you they were raped and the alleged rapist was still an active part of your professional community. The obvious answer is go to the fucking cops, but it's harder to fault them for wanting to take it into their own hands when it's a clearer cut case of someone who could really be a danger. Although the fact that they didn't go to the cops makes the whole thing messy, and it's possible the MeToo vigilante culture has once again made the situation far worse than it had to be by making the "name, shame, and blacklist" routine more palatable. It's even sadder when you consider it's possible that it harmed an actual victim.

There are a bunch of other subplots with regards to the Pickrodt lawsuit; the defendants had their defense crowdfunded as well as partially sponsored by the Small Press Expo, with coordination from the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (who almost immediately were under fire as well for alleged impropriety on the part of its president). The biggest twist is that the alleged victim is countersuing with a civil rape charge, meaning that she's willing to stake more on the accusation than you tend to see.

Anyway, it's an interesting case with a lot of twists and turns if people want to discuss it. On the surface it looks like it could be a case of someone trying (and failing) to use the legal system to silence his victim, but there's a lot of nuance to the situation. I haven't looked at the actual filings, but again, if there's interest, I may pony up to get them from Pacer or whatever the fuck you use for this.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
All elections have way too much money involved. If any reform is done, monetary reform is needed first and foremost. People like to scream about "dark money" and Citizens United decision in politics. They act as if before that got applied money and favors never were traded. We are deluding ourselves if we think money is not already involved in appointing judges now.

For judge Chupp no real money is involved in all likely hood.

posting this since it was only stated and not posted here.

Chupp is a personal injury attorney (ambulance chaser) and Republican appointed at a young age by a Republican governor. There has to be some sort of money or favors involved. This sort of thing is typical with political appointees, it only ever gets noticed when it gets to a ridiculous degree with someone like Judge Borrok of New York.

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Chupp is a personal injury attorney (ambulance chaser) and Republican appointed at a young age by a Republican governor. There has to be some sort of money or favors involved. This sort of thing is typical with political appointees, it only ever gets noticed when it gets to a ridiculous degree with someone like Judge Borrok of New York.
There was actually a pretty disapproving article written about Borrok essentially buying a judgeship. Despite that, though, he's still on the bench fucking up cases with his laziness and feckless attitude.

Bender

I bend stuff, usually the truth.
kiwifarms.net
I'm current 25 minutes in to Bill Burr's Paper Tiger standup show on Netflix, and he's doing a good job of just tearing into the MeToo movement, while also being funny. I give him about four weeks before hundreds of women come out and claimed he sexually assaulted them or raped them.

I give it two days after that before he's making jokes about those claims on Conan's show about the allegations.

Last edited:

HTTP Error 404

kiwifarms.net
I'm current 25 minutes in to Bill Burr's Paper Tiger standup show on Netflix, and he's doing a good job of just tearing into the MeToo movement, while also being funny. I give him about four weeks before hundreds of women come out and claimed he sexually assaulted them or raped them.

I give it two days after that before he's making jokes about those claims on Conan's show about the allegations.
He's married to a black woman, he's untouchable.

Garm

kiwifarms.net
With the ruling on TI, did Chupp set the precedent that "if you successfully defend yourself from TI, you didn't suffer damages?" That seems like reason enough to overturn the ruling.

MCG_Raven

kiwifarms.net
With the ruling on TI, did Chupp set the precedent that "if you successfully defend yourself from TI, you didn't suffer damages?" That seems like reason enough to overturn the ruling.
big difference here to what you say: Vic didn't DEFEND himself from the TI. That would be cutting in BEFORE the contract is cancelled and making sure it never is cancelled to begin with.

Garm

kiwifarms.net
big difference here to what you say: Vic didn't DEFEND himself from the TI. That would be cutting in BEFORE the contract is cancelled and making sure it never is cancelled to begin with.
Okay. I had thought that the judges logic was "he was invited back. Therefore no damages were incurred."

Basically if you get the contract back, you don't suffer damages.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino