Victor Mignogna v. Funimation Productions, LLC, et al. - Vic's lawsuit against Funimation, VAs, and others, for over a million dollars.

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
So how does he create leverage for settlement negotiations? He makes the process as painful as possible for Vic.
All he's actually doing is driving up the costs. Vic can't really afford to settle for anything less than the cost of destroying his career, plus his legal costs.

The more MoRon drives up those costs, the more they drive up what Vic needs to settle.

His idiotic strategy is based on completely miscalculating what the actual legal scene is.

I think @AnOminous had said something similar either in this thread or another if my memory serves me right.
More or less. You're not obligated to make it easy to serve you and you won't usually get in trouble for shenanigans like that at the outset, but the fact this dummy has not only engaged in shenanigans but also openly taunted the court about it isn't going to do her any favors if she ever needs a bit of indulgence from the court. She has burned her get away with bullshit once pass.

Wake me up

CωC Club founder
kiwifarms.net
also openly taunted the court about it
At the very least, she's just giving Ty more ammo to shoot her with. At any point when her judgment or trustworthiness is called into question, Ty can immediately shoot "well members of the jury, can we really trust the judgment or statements of a person who acknowledged that she was being served on Twitter but still refused to call or respond to the urgent notes left at her door, hence making it more difficult for every single one of us who are here today in court?" How likely is this to have a positive effect for her? Not very much, I wager.

And that's a wee bit relevant considering everything related to her on this case concerns the validity of her judgment and her words, for all the reasons everyone here is already familiar with. This is not a speed ticket hearing, it's all about dumb shit she said and whether she has or lacks character to do all of the terrible things she's alleged of doing. She's just helping paint the picture that she doesn't in fact, have any character.

In the end, I guess the best way to put it is that there's no way it looks good on her and can only come back to hurt her to some extent.

RodgerDodger

kiwifarms.net
I have a theory on Casey's strategy: he's trying to motivate a favorable settlement for MoRonica. Think of it from his perspective. With the facts and law he's got, it's likely he loses the case if it goes the whole way. So settlement is the rational option. With that decision made, his goal shifts to getting the best settlement possible. Normally, Casey would put forward the strongest case he can so the opposing party thinks "hmmm, there's a chance we lose if we go to trial so let's settle". But he can't do that here. His case is shit and he knows it.

So how does he create leverage for settlement negotiations? He makes the process as painful as possible for Vic.

In this light his filings and general strategy make sense.
  • Putting PULL and tumblr references in his answer actually hurt his legal case. But it increases the damage to Vic's reputation (in theory).
  • Running up billable hours by engaging in scheduling shenanigans makes things more financially painful for Vic.
  • His presumed strategy of deposing Vic first and then getting the discovery stay with a TCPA motion gives his clients more ammo they can use to cause Vic further reputation pain.
Then during the TCPA deposition stay period, while his clients and allies continue dragging Vic through the mud, Casey approachs Ty and Vic with the old "you can make this all stop if you settle".

Or he's just exceptional.
It’s option 2. If he’s seeking the best possible settlement for his clients, he’s going about it in entirely the wrong way. In fact it may be rationally argued that except for quickly accepting service for his clients, every other thing he has done has multiplied the eventual cost of settlement for his exceptional clients. Heck it has got to be worrying him that Funimation’s Lawyer is talking to Ty Beard and not as far as we can tell to Casey.

Here is my gut suspicion regarding Casey. He’s a “Super Lawyer”, an idiotic store bought title, but one which is exclusively accrued from being a “Plaintiff’s Attorney”. Playing defense is a different skill set. Casey is aggressively charging into this as if he represents the wronged party, the plaintiff. It’s highly entertaining to watch. But it is going to burn his MoRonic clients badly.

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Keep in mind, his clients are the kind of people who think reporting a lawyer for saying wrongthink is a good idea.
Ron Soye is such a hypersensitive, simpering little pussy of a "man" that he literally thought "We will be in touch" was such horrifying verbal abuse that he reported it to the Bar Association where they presumably had a big belly laugh that there was such a pitiable weakling alive as "Mr./Ms." Ron Soye.

N1bbaN3rd

kiwifarms.net
What are the odds Casey secretly hates these two? It would explain the running up the bill and the shitty pleadings.
My theory behind the shitty pleading is that he's trying to tank the case in a way that leaves Funimation jointly viable. It explains why he tried to throw Funimation under the bus, and it also explains why there was no specific denial of the claim that Ron was acting as an agent of Funimation. He has a weak case with clients who simply refuse to settle, so his only viable defense strategy is one of damage control. Clinging onto a co-defendant with deep pockets seems to be his play at the moment - the obvious flaw is that his clients are screwed if Funimation settles.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: AStupidMonkey

repentance

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here is my gut suspicion regarding Casey. He’s a “Super Lawyer”, an idiotic store bought title, but one which is exclusively accrued from being a “Plaintiff’s Attorney”. Playing defense is a different skill set. Casey is aggressively charging into this as if he represents the wronged party, the plaintiff. It’s highly entertaining to watch. But it is going to burn his MoRonic clients badly.
If Casey is, indeed, a plaintiff's attorney then that's an interesting point. Plaintiff's attorneys very often work on contingency, so he might not even be used to keeping an eye on the costs because his usual clients are people who stand to receive large awards if they win, not people who are paying their own legal costs and trying not to lose.

Urbanmech

Got an AC 10 and not afraid to use it!
kiwifarms.net
If Casey is, indeed, a plaintiff's attorney then that's an interesting point. Plaintiff's attorneys very often work on contingency, so he might not even be used to keeping an eye on the costs because his usual clients are people who stand to receive large awards if they win, not people who are paying their own legal costs and trying not to lose.
But isn't that more of a criminal court thing? Or does it happen in the states where someone specializes plaintiff civil court?

GenericReviewerDraco

Fluffy Anna
kiwifarms.net
I almost wish Casey was more "exceptional" but everything about this court case is a burning trainwreck full of clowns, so something has to be "normal".

DragoonSierra

kiwifarms.net
Look at this from Funi's point of view. They can settle and get out of this for roughly the cost of 10 years of Vics salary/work compensation. They already have that budgeted, and if they actually use him they cam amortize that over 10 years and not have to pay another actor.

Another way to think of it is "saying Sorry costs them nothing but whats already expected in their operations budget." So long as they seperate themselves from the idiot VA's. The VA's face exemplery damages. No way does funi want a piece of that.
If I were Ty I would want Funi to announce that they are hiring him for more roles. They dont even have to say anything else just that.

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
If I were Ty I would want Funi to announce that they are hiring him for more roles. They dont even have to say anything else just that.
The situation is probably too fucked up to trust them to live up to such an obligation, though. If Sony would intervene and give him an ironclad contract with some more functional branch of their corporate octopus, though, that might be worthwhile.

Although after hearing about how badly Sony fucked over Michael Jackson to try to force him to sell the Beatles catalog etc. back to them, including deliberately sabotaging one of his album releases, I'm not sure any of Sony is functional at this point.

N1bbaN3rd

kiwifarms.net
The situation is probably too fucked up to trust them to live up to such an obligation, though. If Sony would intervene and give him an ironclad contract with some more functional branch of their corporate octopus, though, that might be worthwhile.

Although after hearing about how badly Sony fucked over Michael Jackson to try to force him to sell the Beatles catalog etc. back to them, including deliberately sabotaging one of his album releases, I'm not sure any of Sony is functional at this point.
Once the dust settles from this shitstorm of exceptionalism, I would expect Sony to announce a "restructuring" of the management at Funimation.

Corypheus

Totally not evil
kiwifarms.net
Would a Funimation settlement now only protect themselves from the actions of the other three dummy's currently in the suit? What happens if after settlement it's found that Sabat or other agents were using vice principal status to pressure more cons, etc? Or would Ty get Funi's information first and increase settlement costs as more agents are found doing illegal shit?
Probably depends on how much they offer in regards to their communications. If they’re smart they’ll give them anything that establishes liability for the other parties while getting assurance that they’re not getting pulled in again. It’ll help if they can spin it as them being a convenient means for the kickvic people as opposed to being an active participant; but they seem to be run like the world’s worst sorority, so who knows how open they left themselves.

Last edited:

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net

Sony of America is a shitshow from top to bottom. The suits in Japan are manufacturing executives, not media. They had no idea what to do with a media company beyond hire every art and marketing clown pumped out of the University of California system. And we all know what kind of people those are. Its a mismanaged mess of internal cat fights, moralizing over social justice and cookie cutter assembly line trash like the Emoji Movie.

Those emails that North Korea stole from them were very illuminating. I would not be shocked to find out this Weeb wars stuff could involve Sony proper.

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

do you are have stupid
kiwifarms.net
I've seen a lot of speculation on what BHBH may be willing to settle for but I haven't seen much cited in terms of how damages are calculated. Setting aside the specifics of what we may expect of Ty to ask for, what sort of limits are in place? Are there norms/limitations for these sorts of outcomes? How flexible are the possible outcomes? I'm trying to separate the speculation from the law for myself and the rest of us legal plebs.

Reactions: PantsOfDesire

RodgerDodger

kiwifarms.net
But isn't that more of a criminal court thing? Or does it happen in the states where someone specializes plaintiff civil court?
It happens a lot in personal injury claims.
Just as an example Nick's friend Josh from the other night. The dude in the weird colorful quilt scrap cape, is a Personal Injury Attorney. He outright had to ask the others about whether or not Casey's response was normal or a good defense strategy because he doesn't do defense.

Facts Over Feels

kiwifarms.net
Once the dust settles from this shitstorm of exceptionalism, I would expect Sony to announce a "restructuring" of the management at Funimation.
Why wait thou? They could throw the current batch of incompetent idiots at Funimation under the bus and bring in new, competent management to settle with Vic and leave the VA's to twist in the wind.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino