Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JamesFargo

saying "Oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
Ever noticed how people who hate Sonic the Hedgehog games the most, are often Final Fantasy 6 fanboys?
lol wut.

I remember when Sonic was as hot as Metroid, Zelda and Mario. Michael Jackson composed music for the third game. Then Sega decided, "let's keep cranking these out until the wheels come off."

If the audience for Sonic demanded a better product, they might get it. But they don't, so they won't. Now that the more critical fans are disillusioned and silent, we are left with only the most odious and pathetic caricatures.

awful-big-1024x731.gif

I played up until the big twist and it was OK (Much better than that fucking tedious shitfest 4).
A lot of folks detest JRPGs, and I can understand why. It's like trying to read a book. But you have to walk back and forth across your entire house before you turn a page.

I have beaten IV only once. The game comes 'alive' in the Underworld and the Giant of Babil segments. But there's a lot of bullshit between here and there. In subsequent playthroughs, I always quit around the time the Ninja joins. (Also, it's a bad idea to rotate out characters on the reg. It leads to fatigue, and you start to the miss the old characters, if only by association.)

Last edited:

StreetGangsta

I drink a Boost for breakfast, Ensure for dessert
kiwifarms.net
Ok look here is the difference

Here is FF6, look how insanely dumb it looks. Playable characters are toddlers, the enemy is real drawn blinking JPEGs with right proportions "Humans vs Toddlers?"

And here is FF7. While FF1-FF3 is more acceptable, it was monsters and not so much humans. But it had more correct way to portray it
But FF7 was first one to finally get it right. In Overworld they are all LEGOs but in Battle. Correct at last.

Even older games that came out same year as Final Fantasy 1 and later on Phantasy Star 2 was made. Essentially they did better job than Square did back then
Only thing i didnt like about Phantasy Star 2 is the whole "Sci fi" battle screen. But it atleast got it right compared to Square interms of human proporitions.

Final Fantasy 2 is only old FF game that is good since the battle is fun and not endless boring stuff that old FF games are known for. I have played them all, and FF2 was only close to good game out of them all, love that game. With maybe exception of FF4 After years, but i am not sure that counts since its a modern game

Also Sonic is fiction, so thats different than reshaping toddler humans vs JPEGs
I think you may be retarded if you're this obsessed with hating chibi characters.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
A lot of folks detest JRPGs, and I can understand why. It's like trying to read a book. But you have to walk back and forth across your entire house before you turn a page.
that can be said for most RPGs tho, even worse when they dump paragraphs of exposition on you.
dunno why VNs get so much hate when it's basically the same just without the running around...

JamesFargo

kiwifarms.net
that can be said for most RPGs tho
Probably right. Final Fantasy dominated the US market for decades . They left an indelible mark much in the same way Star Wars did with science fiction.

They gradually lost interest in character classes and kept trying to top themselves in terms of story. The other mistake was trying to out-smart the turn based combat.

When in reality, the character classes hold more interest. Give me a job system, skill tree, class upgrades, or that sick Fusion mechanic from Breath of Fire. All the plot in the world won't save you if the enemies are boring.

Last edited:

IneptRobot

You lost the moment you entered these woods.
kiwifarms.net
Probably right. Final Fantasy dominated the US market for decades . They left an indelible mark much in the same way Star Wars did with science fiction.

They gradually lost interest in character classes and kept trying top themselves in terms of story. The other mistake was trying to out-smart the turn based combat,

When in reality, the character classes hold more interest. Give me a job system, skill tree, class upgrades, or that sick Fusion mechanic from Breath of Fire. All the plot in the world won't save you if the enemies are boring.
That's why I liked Bravely Default so much, felt like replaying a classic FF game. The asterisk system was great, really took me back to the good old days of FF3 and 5

Sonic30

kiwifarms.net

They gradually lost interest in character classes and kept trying top themselves in terms of story. The other mistake was trying to out-smart the turn based combat,

Job system is just gay.

There is no strategy its just boring... ooooh change to something. I only like Final Fantasy X-2 because how much old boomer fossils hate how it turns into a cosplay contest XD

But if you want a game with actual strategy and non boring gameplay "Heroes of Might and Magic 3" you're welcome.
And yes i did beat FF3 and FF5. It friggin sucks!

Sonic30

kiwifarms.net
I think you may be retarded if you're this obsessed with hating chibi characters.
Unless you like children that much. But not for me.

edit: But if you think about it. Final Fantasy 3 and 5 is for LGBT liberal faggots, aswell as child trans game. Because you change into another identity on the spot. Where FFX-2 kind of is so girly that it mocks it.

So... what does that tell about people who play them?

Last edited:

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
On a different note, I just finished replaying Dishonored as part of my stealth game spree.

I gotta say, it is still a really excellent game, and gives you many different ways to approach each scenario. However, as a stealth game, while still solid, I find it to be a bit lacking, especially now that I have games like Thief 2, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Hitman Blood Money, and Mark of the Ninja under my belt. Not saying Dishonored is a bad stealth game, far from it, but it just comes up short in terms of mechanics in that compartment.

EmpGulcasa

Why can't people just be normal?
kiwifarms.net
Hot take: Cyberpunk was a good game. I legit enjoyed it at launch on PC, bugs and all, and am planning a replay soon. I feel bad for people who got it on last gen consoles because that's literally unplayable, but on systems that can actually handle it? Good shit.

Pustus

Death to the false Emperor
kiwifarms.net
Hot take: Cyberpunk was a good game. I legit enjoyed it at launch on PC, bugs and all, and am planning a replay soon. I feel bad for people who got it on last gen consoles because that's literally unplayable, but on systems that can actually handle it? Good shit.
I have not played it because my PC isn't strong enough. But I wouldn't be suprised if it is remembered as a decent/good game that was blown the fuck out from overhyped marketing and terrible bugs.

EmpGulcasa

kiwifarms.net
I have not played it because my PC isn't strong enough. But I wouldn't be suprised if it is remembered as a decent/good game that was blown the fuck out from overhyped marketing and terrible bugs.
I don't even blame the hype on CDPR so much as the superfans. I was excited, sure, but people who act like a big release is going to be the second coming are just setting themselves up for disappointment. It's a solid 7 or 8/10 for me after 100%ing on my first run. 111 hours, and sure there were occasional bugs but nothing game breaking and nothing unusual for an open world game. Honestly the most annoying one was that one of the radio stations just refused to work for my entire playthrough, and I can live with that.

Pustus

Death to the false Emperor
kiwifarms.net
I don't even blame the hype on CDPR so much as the superfans. I was excited, sure, but people who act like a big release is going to be the second coming are just setting themselves up for disappointment. It's a solid 7 or 8/10 for me after 100%ing on my first run. 111 hours, and sure there were occasional bugs but nothing game breaking and nothing unusual for an open world game. Honestly the most annoying one was that one of the radio stations just refused to work for my entire playthrough, and I can live with that.
Nah I 100% believe they purposefully hyper marketed it. Even when the game wasn't even close to being finished they pushed new features for marketing to make redditors do spit-takes.

EmpGulcasa

kiwifarms.net
Nah I 100% believe they purposefully hyper marketed it. Even when the game wasn't even close to being finished they pushed new features for marketing to make redditors do spit-takes.
I guess because I rarely ever pay attention to marketing outside of for the MMO I play I missed a lot of it. Either way, people need to temper their expectations.

Revo

Good Joe
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unless you like children that much. But not for me.

edit: But if you think about it. Final Fantasy 3 and 5 is for LGBT liberal faggots, aswell as child trans game. Because you change into another identity on the spot. Where FFX-2 kind of is so girly that it mocks it.

So... what does that tell about people who play them?
How many years old are you?

EmpGulcasa

kiwifarms.net
They won't learn anything. Vidya is their religion and E3 is church.

I'm curious to know what appealed to you.
The setting, and I'm one of those sadbrains who actually gets their itch scratched by checking markers off on a big open world map. I felt like I became strong and got access to cool stuff regularly, the stories felt well told even if I wish there had been more to them. The game at max settings just looks fantastic, too.

JamesFargo

kiwifarms.net
I'm one of those sadbrains who actually gets their itch scratched by checking markers off on a big open world map.
I get it.

Personally I felt that itch had been scratched years ago. I remember completing the San Andreas triathlon for 100% completion and thinking "I will never do that again". Also, and this goes without saying, I have a job and need to ration my free time. Story campaign or bust.