Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EmpGulcasa

Why can't people just be normal?
kiwifarms.net
I get it.

Personally I felt that itch had been scratched years ago. I remember completing the San Andreas triathlon for 100% completion and thinking "I will never do that again". Also, and this goes without saying, I have a job and need to ration my free time. Story campaign or bust.
Totally understand. It's not necessarily good for me because I'm in the same boat with work using much of my time and it kinda sucks beating fewer games a year because they're all 80+ hours long. Like I know I can just.. not play those games, but I do get some perverse enjoyment out of checking off boxes. It has to be really egregious, or super annoying to do for me to skip over something in an open world game.

Wonki

Teeheehee, Wonki is so hilarious
kiwifarms.net
lol wut.

I remember when Sonic was as hot as Metroid, Zelda and Mario. Michael Jackson composed music for the third game. Then Sega decided, "let's keep cranking these out until the wheels come off."

If the audience for Sonic demanded a better product, they might get it. But they don't, so they won't. Now that the more critical fans are disillusioned and silent, we are left with only the most odious and pathetic caricatures.
from my experience it's the opposite, most fans i know (including me) are very demanding. as in their never pleased, SEGA does something and people hate it, it used to be classic Sonic what was people really wanted, but now that the younger "Gamecube, GBA, PS2, 4Kids Sonic X on Jetix AMV OC recolor" fans are a lot older, it's dreamcast (adventure sonic what's being asked for (plus Sonic Mania came out and the classic fans got what they wanted)

IneptRobot

Look grateful ⋮)
kiwifarms.net
I've been replaying FF7 in my free time lately and all I can think about is how fucking mad I'll be if they decide to 'subvert our expectations' and save Aerith. It feels like so many videogame companies just don't have balls any more and I really do suspect they'll save her just to avoid dealing with bawwwing of online retards.

Great President of McHell

Beta Orbiter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been replaying FF7 in my free time lately and all I can think about is how fucking mad I'll be if they decide to 'subvert our expectations' and save Aerith. It feels like so many videogame companies just don't have balls any more and I really do suspect they'll save her just to avoid dealing with bawwwing of online retards.
Oh they will, and get ready for hack game news outlets to report on it being a stunning and brave move something something "disposable woman" something something "agency". I feel like no matter how interesting or well rounded a female game character is if shes a love interest and/or dies during the series people will immediately call her portrayal misogynistic and shallow.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I got MK11 for the Switch as a birthday present and I've been playing it the last couple of days.

It isn't the greatest fighting game of all time and the transfer to the switch led to some weird blurriness in the visuals which is distracting. And the method of collecting items and secrets is a bit tedious and annoying.

HOWEVER, the amount of fun I've had playing characters like Spawn, Terminator, Robotcop, and ESPECIALLY Rambo can't be measured. The sheer fun of it is enough to get me to overlook the flaws.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
She's going to spin around and dual wield glocks at the last moment and kill Sephiroth.

You may have appeased the online fanboys, but you in turn have angered the fujoshits.

It's a tough decision.

IneptRobot

Look grateful ⋮)
kiwifarms.net
She's going to spin around and dual wield glocks at the last moment and kill Sephiroth.

You may have appeased the online fanboys, but you in turn have angered the fujoshits.

It's a tough decision.
3f0.jpg
Leave the memes and fun AU shit to the internet, Square. FF7 is one of the most critically acclaimed games ever for a reason.

I just wanted to replay a good Final Fantasy game remake. I didn't sign up for all this alternate timeline, Sephiroth escapes destiny, Zack is still alive bullshit and whatever else they decide to pull.
Why can't they just leave well enough alone and make a great remake with stunning graphics and fun gameplay with the original story intact. And I mean the original story not the weird fucked up thing with the clones and whatever that we got initially.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2145247
Leave the memes and fun AU shit to the internet, Square. FF7 is one of the most critically acclaimed games ever for a reason.

I just wanted to replay a good Final Fantasy game remake. I didn't sign up for all this alternate timeline, Sephiroth escapes destiny, Zack is still alive bullshit and whatever else they decide to pull.
Why can't they just leave well enough alone and make a great remake with stunning graphics and fun gameplay with the original story intact. And I mean the original story not the weird fucked up thing with the clones and whatever that we got initially.
They said for part 2 that it's going to be close to the original game, they're just adding side missions like Yuffie.

Bewing that it's so far out from release we really can't judge how much bullshit will be changed or reverted.

IneptRobot

Look grateful ⋮)
kiwifarms.net
They said for part 2 that it's going to be close to the original game, they're just adding side missions like Yuffie.

Bewing that it's so far out from release we really can't judge how much bullshit will be changed or reverted.
I can't imagine they'll show Zack being alive in part one and not follow it up right? I hope that's the case, though. I'm stupidly excited to see Cosmo Canyon remade.

albert chan

Spanish women are the best.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don’t know if I’ve ever agreed that much with @Marissa Moira and her opinions, but I have to give it to her: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is a really good game.

Between this and Ys Origins, I’m just surprised that I hadn’t heard about this much sooner.

Prophetic Spirit

Handsome Devil
kiwifarms.net
Replaying Fallout 4 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 like hell.
And to remind all, Kiwami remakes are the remakes, not a pathetic excuse to remake even the plot itself like FF7R.
Nothing more to say.

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
Now that I have gone on my stealth game spree, for a bit, I think my top ones for now are as follows.

1. Tie between Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3
  2. Thief II The Metal Age
  3. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  4. Hitman Blood Money
  5. Mark Of The Ninja
  6. Escape From Butcher Bay
  7. Dishonored
What are your favorites? Do have any recommendations for stealth titles?

I heard Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven, Shadow Tactics, Aragami, Echo, and Styx Shards Of Darkness are pretty good. You played any of those ones?

Sucrose

kiwifarms.net
Now that I have gone on my stealth game spree, for a bit, I think my top ones for now are as follows.

1. Tie between Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3
  2. Thief II The Metal Age
  3. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  4. Hitman Blood Money
  5. Mark Of The Ninja
  6. Escape From Butcher Bay
  7. Dishonored
What are your favorites? Do have any recommendations for stealth titles?

I heard Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven, Shadow Tactics, Aragami, Echo, and Styx Shards Of Darkness are pretty good. You played any of those ones?
I really wanted Velvet Assassin to be good.

I completed it twice trying to kid myself into thinking it was good.

It was not good.

If you want something a bit different though Haunting Ground isn't known as a "stealth" game but there's a lot of hiding, avoiding etc. It's a pretty weird survival horror but super enjoyable!

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
The Apple v Epic courtcase had a bit of interesting info about has Microsoft has literally never turned a profit on console sales.
you mean hardware? if it's just that it doesn't really matter, it's an acceptable loss if you make up for it in software and services. you gotta spend some to get some.

I don’t know if I’ve ever agreed that much with @Marissa Moira and her opinions, but I have to give it to her: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is a really good game.

Between this and Ys Origins, I’m just surprised that I hadn’t heard about this much sooner.
Ys is the series everybody heard of but no one ever played. VIII was also published by nisa, lot of the target demograpic has a hard "no buy" stance for everything those turds fuck up, which sadly includes Ys VIII since it had plenty of issues. unless the nips get their head out of their asses and look for a proper western publisher they don't really deserve any money, it's the only way to get the message across.

trent

kiwifarms.net
you mean hardware? if it's just that it doesn't really matter, it's an acceptable loss if you make up for it in software and services. you gotta spend some to get some.

Yeah sorry that's what i meant.

Makes sense as to why they are pushing gamepass so hard but i have to wonder how many people did the cheapo 3 year thing, i know i did.

Cubanodun

D is for Doomposter
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone played flashback very nice platformer that I would recommend
Very good, even when everyone keep calling it "the futuristic prince of persia" or shit like that, the remake is aids and Out of this world was going to get the same treatment if the creator did not stop the business suit that actually fucked his game with the sequel but him and everyone else pretend it doesnt exist

I was cleaning backlog during the time i was offline and went deep in Phantasy star 1

For starters i will admit that i got the retranslated Master System game, but no one told me about the options to reduce the rate of encounters and rise the exp/money gain and went with the vanilla unmodded experience, i passed almost 3 days lost in the planet of ice searching for obtuse shit like the special seed/nut/forgot what it was to make Miau fly to the sky palace, had to literally burn my data plan to get the maps of the dungeons that came with the American version of the game because the dungeons are totally ass

After my return i told about the game in Discord and they ask me if i was insane to do it unmodded, i told them that i dont use cheats in game unless it has some kind of game breaking bug that required one, they told me that the PS2 Remaster and the SEGA AGES version of Phantasy star 1 come with increased money/exp gain because otherwise is absolutely rapetastic in many ways the only supposed "cheat" that came ON by default was the increased walking speed that i did not notice until i checked the menu

E0vJMPCWEAMNNpF.png
E0vJMPIWYAIAC5Z.png

Playing 2 now and laughing and how supposed tragic events pass so fast that you barely have time to even feel anything like the thing that happened in the tunnel to the third city that a bandit is killing people for money but in a dungeon you discover that a gang kidnapped his daughter and he is doing for money, you rescue her in a dungeon and to prevent the gang noticing her you cover her face, when you arrive to the tunnel she tried to talk to her dad to show she is safe but did not remove the cover in her head so her father accidentally kill her when he finally notice he blow himself in the tunnel and the cast just waste 1 frame of text saying that they should do better to prevent this and moved on

Water-T

STARVING TO DEATH...FOR ATTENTION (AND CAKE)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Very good, even when everyone keep calling it "the futuristic prince of persia" or shit like that, the remake is aids and Out of this world was going to get the same treatment if the creator did not stop the business suit that actually fucked his game with the sequel but him and everyone else pretend it doesnt exist
I loved the first Flashback and Out of This World/Another World a lot. I hated the Flashback "sequel" Fade to Black, that most people never played much less heard of, so I hope the rumoured sequel ends up pretending it never happened. Never played the "World" sequel since it was a Sega CD exclusive. As for Flashback's remake, I kind of liked it but never finished it (too much work and personal shit got in the way and by the time I dealt with it I moved on to other games).

I was cleaning backlog during the time i was offline and went deep in Phantasy star 1

The optimal way to play PS1 is the SEGA AGES version on the Switch, which has many quality of life tweaks like a built in auto-map, better menu systems that give more details about the stuff you buy/find, and a lower encounter rate with more exp/money earned in battles to reduce grinding. You can still lock yourself out by saving in the wrong place or dropping the wrong item, so caveat emptor.

As for PS 2, the graphics and music hold up - as well as that twist ending - but the battles are slow, the dungeons overstay their welcome, and way too much grinding is needed. I heard there was a Japan exclusive remake on PlayStation 2 that redid the graphics, but not sure if it did anything about my complaints.

PS III is the bastard child of the bunch, where it doesn't look and feel like part of the series, and the connection is not apparent until the end. It's like Chrono Cross, where I suspect it wasn't initially intended to be a Chrono Trigger sequel until Square realized the game would sell 100x better if they crammed some references to CT in various spots and at the end. The colors look so washed out and the battle menu is shite.

Finally, there is PS IV. The shining jewel of the series. All I can says is if you only play one Phantasy Star, make it this one. A nearly perfect game. It cost about $80 to $120 when it came out in late 94/early 95, but now it came be gotten cheap on the several Genesis collections that Sega shits out every console generation.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
I loved the first Flashback and Out of This World/Another World a lot. I hated the Flashback "sequel" Fade to Black, that most people never played much less heard of, so I hope the rumoured sequel ends up pretending it never happened. Never played the "World" sequel since it was a Sega CD exclusive. As for Flashback's remake, I kind of liked it but never finished it (too much work and personal shit got in the way and by the time I dealt with it I moved on to other games).
Fade to Black was actually pretty popular on PC at the time. If anyone is curious about what the game is like I would say it's part OG Tomb Raider(puzzling) and part Gears of War(moving like a truck).

Cubanodun

D is for Doomposter
kiwifarms.net
I heard there was a Japan exclusive remake on PlayStation 2 that redid the graphics, but not sure if it did anything about my complaints.
Checked and they raised the walking speed and you get 2x mesetas and exp, is still rapetastic also there is a little neat thing about the remakes of 1 and 2If you have a complete game save of Remaster 1 you can resurrect THAT character that dies in 2 the fun fact is that most people dont care about THAT character because you barely interact with her