Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

• DDoS is active again.

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Consoles run it at 4k at 60fps unless you're on a Nintendo Switch. You're also probably running it upscaled since there are no actual 2k monitors and they're really 2560 x 1440 which makes it 1440p.
harrison ford who gives a shit.gif

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Look screen resolution faggotry with false numbers has plagued the hardware field for eons, especially since china makes clones of everything. It also now extends to hard drives where they give false readings. You'll snag a 2tb USB stick or SD card for 50 bucks on amazon only to find out they've tricked you by having it be a much much smaller storage size of only 1 or 2 gigs and have programmed the card to falsify their storage readings. Which means any data stored on it gets erased if you exceed the actual true number.

The fake ram cards work in a similar fashion, which makes you really suspicious if your machine goes over 200 gigs and you need more, There's fake corsair shit being sold as authentic.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Consoles run it at 4k at 60fps unless you're on a Nintendo Switch. You're also probably running it upscaled since there are no actual 2k monitors and they're really 2560 x 1440 which makes it 1440p.

4K is actually 2k(2160p), you're falling into the marketing trickery of counting horizontal resolution. Or if we're going with the 4K marketing logic then 1080p is 2K because 1920 is half of 3840 and half of 4K is obviously 2K.

Even the recommended system requirements of YS9 are incredibly low so I'm not surprised it can run at a high resolution even on lower mid-end hardware. The recommended GPU is a R7 370!

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
4K is actually 2k(2160p), you're falling into the marketing trickery of counting horizontal resolution. Or if we're going with the 4K marketing logic then 1080p is 2K because 1920 is half of 3840 and half of 4K is obviously 2K.
Yeah screen resolution numbers operate similar to other units of measurement for things where the given number is actually less than what it actually is.

Honestly it does bother me, because for awhile 1080p stick around and then they switched it to 4k because it rolled off the tongue better but wasn't close to accurately describing the screen resolution as 1080p. And even then they pulled numbers out of their ass when HD was first getting big because those 50 dollar HD TVs were a shitload of ass with repurposed components and other corner cutting bullshit. I don't think 720 was ever heavily promoted, but that was what was usually the limit in most screens instead of 1080p.

I mean people remember shit like Blast Processing as a marketing thing, but nothings really changed as far as bullshit tech promotions go.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
I don't think 720 was ever heavily promoted, but that was what was usually the limit in most screens instead of 1080p.
They did market 720p as HD that's why 1080p was FullHD to differentiate it from 720p. 720p was more affordable and therefore more common at one point it time but that changed when 1080p sets became affordable.

The big HD push started in 2005 and the FullHD push followed a year after that. During that very short period of time we saw the launch of the 360, PS3, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and HDMI became standard. It didn't stop companies like Samsung and others from putting out low-cost 16:9 TVs with a 1024x768 panel, they couldn't put the sticker on it though.

tl;dr
hdfullhd.jpg

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They did market 720p as HD that's why 1080p was FullHD to differentiate it from 720p. 720p was more affordable and therefore more common at one point it time but that changed when 1080p sets became affordable.

The big HD push started in 2005 and the FullHD push followed a year after that. During that very short period of time we saw the launch of the 360, PS3, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and HDMI became standard. It didn't stop companies like Samsung and others from putting out low-cost 16:9 TVs with a 1024x768 panel, they couldn't put the sticker on it though.

tl;dr
View attachment 2302339
I know they marketed it, but it wasn't as promoted as 1080p though. Like you said it was mostly used as something to make 1080p appear better.

judge claude frollo

BRING ME THE GYPSY GIRL
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
been on a vampire kick lately

kinna wanna play Vampyr

I've never heard about it before til tonight, it looks pretty cool

IneptRobot

Hench4Life
kiwifarms.net
been on a vampire kick lately

kinna wanna play Vampyr

I've never heard about it before til tonight, it looks pretty cool
I enjoyed it, combat isn't revolutionary or anything but the atmosphere and style is pretty nice. Worth playing through twice at least to see different outcomes to choices and if you care about achievements it's an easy one to 100%

Artoria Pendragon

kiwifarms.net
Any decent C64 games written after its 'death' worth checking out? Hell, any decent games that still hold up that are worth a go? Pentagorat on Vic-20 always interested me but haven't got around to giving it a shot yet.

Titos

Buried in a very very very deep grave
kiwifarms.net
Finally got around to actually playing through Dishonored 1 and 2, and by that I mean actually finishing them. Also not going guns blazing the second I got spotted and quitting after the party level. Finally get why alot of people enjoy them so much. I didn't like 2 nearly as much as 1, the systems just didn't feel as focused, also holy fuck some of the levels ran so bad it was unplayable until I restarted my PC and closed out any browsers. Also started Death Of The Outsider and am not sure I'm gonna finish it, I like the different version of blink and the face swap abilities but the replacement for dark vision is terrible. Any recommendations on similar games that aren't named Thief, Deus Ex, or Prey?

albert macdonald chan

Novice computer programmer and Norm Macdonald fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just want to say that the Famicom Disk System still holds up after 30+ years of its release:

I think I found a replication device that was on AliExpress that was selling for $30 and Wicked Gamer & Collector even did a review on it months ago:

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Yang avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Any decent C64 games written after its 'death' worth checking out? Hell, any decent games that still hold up that are worth a go? Pentagorat on Vic-20 always interested me but haven't got around to giving it a shot yet.
A YouTuber called The 8-Bit Guy released one a couple years ago called Planet X2. It's an RTS, which is an ambitious genre for an 8-bit micro, but from the independent reviews I've seen it seems to work pretty well. He released a sequel for 640k PC-compatibles called Planet X3 and is currently working on an action game for the Vic which is called Attack of the PETSCII Robots which will have an enhanced C64 version. You can find independent reviews as well as his own videos covering the development of the games on YouTube.