Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Yang avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
the world of warcraft threat has some info, don't think there's a dedicated happenings thread yet (it will probably blow over in 1-2 weeks when twitter finds something else to be outraged about)
Okay, cool, thanks for linking to that thread and in particular to useful posts in that thread homie, oh wait you didn't but it's cool I gotchu https://kiwifarms.net/threads/world-of-warcraft.8930/post-9544478

I like how a photo of a bunch of men together with a framed photo of Cosby taken in 2013, before he was widely known to be a creeper, is evidence of a toxic workplace lol

Thiletonomics

조 바이든 승리의 쌀.
kiwifarms.net
A bit of news for Forza fans, FM7 will be de-listed in September, meaning that you will not be able to purchase the game through the Microsoft Store (although you can still get a CD key from 3rd-party sites), but the game will still be playable. Sadly, I'm not sure if the game is worth it, even at the discounted prices that Forza games have before they get de-listed, as FM7 was a massive buggy mess on launch, and I'm not sure how many of those issues were fixed, before Turn 10 ended updates for the game in 2019. (I think)

1627717517063.png

GIven that the licenses for the Forza games are 4 years, as Forza Horizon 3 came out in 2016, and was delisted last year, how does that compare with other racing games? Also, that means that there will be a period where no Forza Motorsport game will be available for purchase, until the new Forza Motorsport game comes out next year, at a TBA date.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Also, that means that there will be a period where no Forza Motorsport game will be available for purchase, until the new Forza Motorsport game comes out next year, at a TBA date.
Going back farther into the past before digital then no more prints would be when the license ran out. No one would notice, why would a four year old game still be made and why would you purchase it new instead of used at the same store?

This will sound like a Marissa story, but it was honestly impressive how Microsoft managed to negotiate contracts that allowed for showing visible damage to all those cars from different manufacturers. I think they were the first ones that managed it on that scale. Here's the Marissa part: there's been real cars getting visibly damaged in games from MS and others before that and for MS I know it was calculated "whoopsies!" where they broke part of the agreement and wrote a check. If you look at old pre-release trailers for certain games they never show damage even if the released game had it.
I guess the Gran Turismo way was supposed to be the correct way to do it, damage accumulated and affected the car but wasn't shown.

Grey Donovan

kiwifarms.net
Forza games being delisted exposes another lie that Microsoft has told consoomers. PR talk about backwards compatibility and media preservation only to stop selling their own games after a few years. Not to mention third party games leaving Game Pass every month when the service is the main thing their gaming division banks on.

A trillion dollar company can afford licensing until the end of time. Real media preservation doesn’t do jack for the revenue margins of big business. Xbox and PC consoomers are just being strung along until Microsoft can maybe fill out their wasteland where decent new games should be. And that’s a big maybe.

Slav Power

dog
kiwifarms.net
I have to bitch for a moment about how the entire video game industry has given up on positional audio ever since Windows Vista killed off hardware audio.

For example, one of the last games to support DirectSound3D was Fallout: New Vegas, where nowadays the 3D audio can be restored through DSOAL, which is a wrapper that translates DirectSound instructions to OpenAL, which results in support for HRTF and EAX effects through software:
Honestly, this makes a colossal difference in how you play the game. The sound becomes more immersive and the 360 positional sound helps a lot in spotting enemies early. Even modern S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mods, like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly ship with OpenAL Soft with HRTF enabled, as such a feature adds a lot of immersion to the game, as well as it adds an additional gameplay element of locating enemies through sound.

However, nowadays we have great software based HRTF solutions such as Steam Audio, which can be found in games like Escape from Tarkov, CS:GO or Half Life: Alyx. Unfortunately, nowadays HRTF solutions are barely seen in games. For reference:

This is a list of modern games with modern software based HRTF solutions
This is a list of old games that used DirectSound3D, which was killed off with Windows Vista
This is a list of games that use OpenAL, a modern open source software based HRTF solution

As you can see, even the list of games using OpenAL is much larger than that of modern HRTF implementations, not to mention all the oldies that used DirectSound3D. Why have game developers gave up on implementing HRTF into their games? We have so many modern options, including OpenAL, yet no one seems to give a shit to add this to their games. All those modern releases, and barely any of them have HRTF. God it makes me mad over the wasted potential.

Peddled675

kiwifarms.net

509 reviews and it's overwhelming positive. I can't wait to play it.

This game isn't on Steam yet but it looks really good.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
As you can see, even the list of games using OpenAL is much larger than that of modern HRTF implementations, not to mention all the oldies that used DirectSound3D. Why have game developers gave up on implementing HRTF into their games? We have so many modern options, including OpenAL, yet no one seems to give a shit to add this to their games. All those modern releases, and barely any of them have HRTF. God it makes me mad over the wasted potential.
how many people have a surround setup for their console? there you go...
and it's not a feature you can namedrop for marketing like "4k".

Slav Power

dog
kiwifarms.net
how many people have a surround setup for their console? there you go...
and it's not a feature you can namedrop for marketing like "4k".
You realize that for HRTF to work you only need a pair of regular stereo headphones? It's the software that give those regular cans surround sound.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
You realize that for HRTF to work you only need a pair of regular stereo headphones? It's the software that give those regular cans surround sound.
It's built on EAX though. Creative created EAX and then sued Aureal that had created a GOOD solution for binaural wavetracing in games, with a great SDK that made it easy for games to implement it*, in the late 90's. Aureal popped up to be a real competitor like 3Dfx took the world by storm or like how Nvidia just crushed 3Dfx. Creative would have none of that, competition is bad, so they started a bullshit lawsuit against a small company saying they were violating their patents.
Aureal won but it was a pyrrhic victory, it took all their time and money to defend themselves and even though Creative had to pay the court costs they had nothing going anymore. Their only option was to be bought by Creative and shut down, so EAX reverb could plague the ears and shitty drivers could crash computers all over the world.

Fuck Creative and EAX. They're the soundcard creator that killed sound. edit: I'm still salty about that.

* the SDK included material tagging, a texture/surface material could be tagged with their properties like wood, moss, metal etc so there was no hassle to get it going, it had pretty good support for the hot minute it existed and it was awesome.

Slav Power

dog
kiwifarms.net
It's built on EAX though. Creative created EAX and then sued Aureal that had created a GOOD solution for binaural wavetracing in games, with a great SDK that made it easy for games to implement it*, in the late 90's. Aureal popped up to be a real competitor like 3Dfx took the world by storm or like how Nvidia just crushed 3Dfx. Creative would have none of that, competition is bad, so they started a bullshit lawsuit against a small company saying they were violating their patents.
Aureal won but it was a pyrrhic victory, it took all their time and money to defend themselves and even though Creative had to pay the court costs they had nothing going anymore. Their only option was to be bought by Creative and shut down, so EAX reverb could plague the ears and shitty drivers could crash computers all over the world.

Fuck Creative and EAX. They're the soundcard creator that killed sound. edit: I'm still salty about that.

* the SDK included material tagging, a texture/surface material could be tagged with their properties like wood, moss, metal etc so there was no hassle to get it going, it had pretty good support for the hot minute it existed and it was awesome.
HRTF isn't EAX exclusive though, OpenAL's implementation of it is completely independent of EAX and Creative. Even Steam Audio has no association with Creative, it's all Valve's code to implement technology that's older than Creative itself.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
HRTF isn't EAX exclusive though, OpenAL's implementation of it is completely independent of EAX and Creative. Even Steam Audio has no association with Creative, it's all Valve's code to implement technology that's older than Creative itself.
Hate doesn't have to be rational. Compare what's available now-ish to what was available in the 90's, technology that was killed because it was too competitive. A3D can a put up a decent fight despite being over 20 years old and that should be concerning.

But imagine if sound could have evolved with Aureal in the way graphics did from Half-Life 1 to Half-Life 2, to Gears of War and onward. My biggest interest in PS5 was Cherny talking about the sound. Aureal was the innovation.

appa

gamergate radicalized me
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone else play SWTOR?

Attachments

• tumblr_5da9840507aeff7a39fcc0574e7e9b67_39610d8d_1280.jpg
    tumblr_5da9840507aeff7a39fcc0574e7e9b67_39610d8d_1280.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 17

Dom Cruise

How is she when she doesn't surf?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why did N64 boxes seem to get sun bleached in a way other game boxes didn't? Was it the dye? Did Nintendo have some policy that their games in video stores had to be placed near the windows?

Just something odd I've noticed.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
Oh dang, well they aren't max level now lol. They are raising the level cap to 80 next update and overhauling the class system.

The overhaul is going to be shit and retarded tho.
in what way?
wasn't great before but not that bad either. knowing modern gamedevs there's always worse...

appa

gamergate radicalized me
kiwifarms.net
in what way?
wasn't great before but not that bad either. knowing modern gamedevs there's always worse...
They are basically making it where if you're playing as the Jedi Knight class you can pick all the sith inquisitor disciplines or Jedi consular disciplines.

They are basically getting rid of "classes" they will exist in name only.

The non force classes will gain access to all disciplines so a smuggler can be a mercenary heals basically.

And the force classes will be the same you'll have a with inquisitor tanking using the Jedi knight discipline.

Career MMO fags laud and lick Dev ballsack for this decision and fanatically defend them for doing it on the SWTOR forums. But its split down the middle tbh.

The opposition (which I include myself in) say it just ruins the uniqueness of classes. Cause it gives Smugglers the access to abilities like orbital strike or fusion missile, which should be unique to the agent and bounty hunter respectively.

Long story short, swtor devs are fucking idiots. That would rather ruin the class system than create new animations and disciplines allowing your class to use different weapons.

Thats what it all started over.