Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dysnomia

Livin' the pumpkin spice life
kiwifarms.net
I'm tired of ending up with hardware I don't really want because I thought I did. Last thing I enjoyed was 3DS with nothing ever coming close to PS2.

I got a Switch. I think it was April. Can't remember. I don't think I will ever touch it again. I used it once and just didn't want to mess with it after that. It's become another PSP, which I despised and only bought for Ys 7. Everything else is trash and the whirring drives me crazy. The battery is long gone. It damn near exploded because I put away the system without taking it out and forgot it existed for almost two years.

I got a PS3 around the same time I got 3DS. It came with Ratchet & Clank collection. I played those a lot. But didn't mess around much with original PS3 titles. For some reason I bought RE Zero and REmake HD even though I have the Gamecube games and there was no need. I have not bought a single retail game for it and likely never will. I dust it off regularly. But it is, and always will be, a paper weight that I'll probably still have hooked up to the TV decades from now for no reason.

PS4 and 5 are out of my league. I have $300 put aside for a new PC/laptop and wasting it on consoles seems like a waste.

SCP-173

1# red bull fan and ass made out of titanium
kiwifarms.net
Recently modded my slim PS2 with freemcboot and mechapwn. Tested it with an import Mystical Ninja game that I didn't get too far in since I can't read moon (I assumed it would be a bit more friendly but nothing a walkthrough/guide can't help with). Mostly intending to import oddities and english friendly japanese titles that have been on my radar because I'm autistic and enjoy physical material goods. Any import games you kiwis would recommended for PS2/PS1? I ain't too picky, I mostly like arcade like games so stuff like the Sega Ages stuff is already on my radar and I also have a few fighting games I have my eyes on like CVS2. Some stuff that's already caught my eye are games like Gunners Heaven, Ore No Ryouri, and the JP version of Einhander for PS1.
Kinda reminds me of a cross between Tapper ,Wario Ware, and Cooking Mama so this might be my next purchase.
Is the ps2 slim any good heard there are issues with the optic cable loosening overtime due to the console overheating ( can also scratch discs because of it ) and you cant play it for 2 hours and more since the overheat results in the slim shutting down

Skullomania

Dumb Asshole
kiwifarms.net
Is the ps2 slim any good heard there are issues with the optic cable loosening overtime due to the console overheating ( can also scratch discs because of it ) and you cant play it for 2 hours and more since the overheat results in the slim shutting down
I haven't had any issues like that tbh but I have noticed the console does get hot. I'll probably face these issues over time but I've had it for over 10 years at this point playing it on and off for various sessions with no sweat. I got it when it was basically being phased out from gamestops and I just wanted to get it while it was cheap. You also have to keep in mind there's so many iterations of both the fat and slim ps2s so a lot of the early PS2 fats have really unreliable lasers until you get to the 3900x series. 7000x slims have the burning up laser coil issue but ever other iteration does not, but that slim is the only model that still has HDD support so it all depends what you're looking to get from your PS2. Fats are nice since they have HDD support but older model variants are just ass with laser issues. I could be missing out on some important details but this is the small amount of info I gathered from google so take that as you will.
Personal experience: It's a good console
5 min online google search: It's good but it depends on the model number

Scanline

kiwifarms.net
I have a really hard time finding a game I actually want to play without going back to something I've already played for years. I don't know if it's just me and I'm just too old for vidya but a lot of the stuff that's in the steam top sales seem like unfinished tech demos, or games relying on some stupid one time gimmick or meme or nostalgia to be able to speedrun the youtube let's play circus and not having much else going for them. A lot of the games also seem designed to look good on steam store screenshots and not much else. Where do I actually find good, interesting games with some depth? (that weren't released years ago) The few games that actually show some promise seem to have 10% of the work done, people buying into their early release and the developers earning so much money that they never bother doing any serious work on the game again. It's crazy how there seems so much stuff, but yet at the same time, it feels like a complete desolate wasteland.
The classics are where it's at, homie. Call me a fucking boomer and you'd be right but games before the 7th gen (as long as they were, y'know, good) were all killer no filler. You want games you've never played before that actually rule? Go back in time, don't stick with the new shit you're complaining about.

MF ALBERT

Novice computer programmer celebrating Halloween
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Making a promise to my early 20-something year old self that I will be purchasing the PS1 copies of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. It kind of says a lot that these games are still successful in their own right, while we still ponder how Naughty Dog made The Last of Us Part II and Insomniac Games is still cashing in on the Ratchet & Clank series, yet not giving us another Spyro sequel of some sort.

Instead, all they gave their fans are Spider-Man series sequels.

Crunchy Oats

kiwifarms.net
I didn't want to make a whole thread for this, but I recently looked up Ape Escape 2 for the first time. I didn't know it looked so bad, and apparently 3 and 4 are pretty stupid, too.
Ape Escape 1 is cool, but what the fuck happened to the rest of them?

This little baby monkey follows you around the entire time, and Jimmy/Hikaru, the protagonist who is Spike's younger cousin looks like he's from Kingdom Hearts.
apeescape6.jpg
apeescape7.jpg

There's a 'Freaky Monkey Five' squad that resembles the DK crew, and they can speak English unlike the other monkeys.
The yellow one is called "Monkey Yellow," but I thought it was a fish guy. He also has star nipples that can glow.
apeescape14.png

Of course they needed an obligatory girl monkey
apeescape13.jpg

In Ape Escape 3, you play as Yumi and Kei with way less gadgets. Yumi gets a wand and aiming reticle which feels pretty gay to me. A mechanic also exists which lets the monkeys take your gadgets and even kick you out of the map if they catch you with your own net.
apeescape5.jpg

Yumi crawls like you can in the other games, but her ass is in the air. Spike completely lays on his stomach to crawl.
Why wouldn't they resource army crawling to cover her ass like spike, or have a boundary in the skirt so the player can't look into the clothes?
Also, isn't she a kid?
apeescape12.jpg

They reference Metal Gear in a mini game with a monkey named Pipo Snake who goes on to save Solid Snake (in Ape Escape).
MGS and Ape Escape worked together at some point for some promotional thing, so MGS 3 has a mini game where you have to catch the monkeys from Ape Escape.

That wasn't actually so bad, but there's plenty of other exceptional things I didn't mention. You can find it online and see at how gay it is if you care.

Ape Escape 4 was supposed to come out in 2006, but never did.
In 2020, a website background changed for ape escape's site but no games were released (according to their wiki page)
apeescape4.jpg
apeescape2.jpg

These expressions feel like Rayman Raving Rabids, and that game also sucked.
apeescape3.jpg

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I didn't want to make a whole thread for this, but I recently looked up Ape Escape 2 for the first time. I didn't know it looked so bad, and apparently 3 and 4 are pretty stupid, too.
Ape Escape 1 is cool, but what the fuck happened to the rest of them?

This little baby monkey follows you around the entire time, and Jimmy/Hikaru, the protagonist who is Spike's younger cousin looks like he's from Kingdom Hearts.
View attachment 2571793View attachment 2571794

There's a 'Freaky Monkey Five' squad that resembles the DK crew, and they can speak English unlike the other monkeys.
The yellow one is called "Monkey Yellow," but I thought it was a fish guy. He also has star nipples that can glow.
View attachment 2571791

Of course they needed an obligatory girl monkey
View attachment 2571792

In Ape Escape 3, you play as Yumi and Kei with way less gadgets. Yumi gets a wand and aiming reticle which feels pretty gay to me. A mechanic also exists which lets the monkeys take your gadgets and even kick you out of the map if they catch you with your own net.
View attachment 2571804

Yumi crawls like you can in the other games, but her ass is in the air. Spike completely lays on his stomach to crawl.
Why wouldn't they resource army crawling to cover her ass like spike, or have a boundary in the skirt so the player can't look into the clothes?
Also, isn't she a kid?
View attachment 2571800

They reference Metal Gear in a mini game with a monkey named Pipo Snake who goes on to save Solid Snake (in Ape Escape).
MGS and Ape Escape worked together at some point for some promotional thing, so MGS 3 has a mini game where you have to catch the monkeys from Ape Escape.
View attachment 2572012
That wasn't actually so bad, but there's plenty of other exceptional things I didn't mention. You can find it online and see at how gay it is if you care.

Ape Escape 4 was supposed to come out in 2006, but never did.
In 2020, a website background changed for ape escape's site but no games were released (according to their wiki page)
View attachment 2571786View attachment 2571788

These expressions feel like Rayman Raving Rabids, and that game also sucked.
View attachment 2571782
Yeah people tend to forget that the Ape Escape games after the first one never really were up there in quality compared to their contemporaries like Rayman 2 or even what came before like Banjo Kazooie and Spyro.

Honestly probably now would be the best time to make a new Ape Escape like game with the team who made Astro's Playroom, that game controlled perfectly and played exactly like a modernized version of a mid 90's 3d platformer without any of the drawbacks in mechanics.

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I got a PS1 that was a junker so I can play around with hard and softmodding it since the laser was screwed. The seller included all the paperwork and stuff, and what comes taped in the paperwork with it was a black and white CD sleeve that includes a demo disc.

I fire it up and it's all the original playstation tech demos including the t-rex one, put it in my PC CD drive to further check it and it has Korn on it.

A real oddity of a find, I thought only the euro discs had the tech demos on them.

Scanline

kiwifarms.net
I got a PS1 that was a junker so I can play around with hard and softmodding it since the laser was screwed. The seller included all the paperwork and stuff, and what comes taped in the paperwork with it was a black and white CD sleeve that includes a demo disc.

I fire it up and it's all the original playstation tech demos including the t-rex one, put it in my PC CD drive to further check it and it has Korn on it.

A real oddity of a find, I thought only the euro discs had the tech demos on them.
Sounds dope. Gonna post a rip?

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sounds dope. Gonna post a rip?
I might but I'm making sure there's no actual copy protection or shit that may fuck it up. I know Saturn shit to get a proper .iso you had to have the disc be spinning at a specific speed. Early PS1 discs were not quite standardized yet and there were some games that were format oddballs. PS2 had similar games like that as well, early PS2 games had quite a few titles that were not on a regular DVD format.

There's not a whole lot of documentation, and there's been a rekindled interest in demo discs since the Doom exploit was found about a month or so ago. And that was something that Carmack wasn't even aware of that existed. It looks like the disc was something you got from a few limited locations by pre-ordering, but it was not a routine pack-in.

Last edited:

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Making a promise to my early 20-something year old self that I will be purchasing the PS1 copies of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. It kind of says a lot that these games are still successful in their own right, while we still ponder how Naughty Dog made The Last of Us Part II and Insomniac Games is still cashing in on the Ratchet & Clank series, yet not giving us another Spyro sequel of some sort.

Instead, all they gave their fans are Spider-Man series sequels.
Spyro is owned by Activision. Everything related to activision is currently in Limbo due to the large lawsuit and the fact that many of their studios can't put out games by themselves like Blizzard.

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
IGN users have stated that God Of War 2018 is the greatest game ever made, and are laughing at those who disagree.

IGN on Twitter   After six rounds of voting across several platforms, IGN readers have crowned...png

Thoughts? I can't say I'm on board with this decision (wonder if the hype behind Ragnarok has anything to do with the results). It could also just be me and my annoyance with that game's fanboys as well (seriously, they are some of the most obnoxious ones I've encountered, and the tweet replies only further my dislike).