Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
I bough Little Misfortune since I remeber I liked Fran Bow, played it half an hour and then refunded it. Jesus christ walking sims fucking annhilated the little that was left out of adventure games, now it is just press right arrow key for 2 and a half hours (since we need to pad the game time so it would be non-refundable) and the occasional space bar for doing an action or getting a boring comment. The game itself is just unpleasent as well, too much gross humour and "kids acting inappropriately" jokes.
Read online if there was even a point in the story besides being creepy (in both ways) and for some reason some people think the moral is that people should be able to get an abortion because they aren't ready to be a parent. Like holy shit you spend two hours with a character of a young girl and your conclusion is that she should never have been born because her mother had shitty life decisions.
Googled the game and on the picture suggestions there was this.
misfortune_urgh.JPG
I know gussied up CalArts when I see it.

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I bough Little Misfortune since I remeber I liked Fran Bow, played it half an hour and then refunded it. Jesus christ walking sims fucking annhilated the little that was left out of adventure games, now it is just press right arrow key for 2 and a half hours (since we need to pad the game time so it would be non-refundable) and the occasional space bar for doing an action or getting a boring comment. The game itself is just unpleasent as well, too much gross humour and "kids acting inappropriately" jokes.
Read online if there was even a point in the story besides being creepy (in both ways) and for some reason some people think the moral is that people should be able to get an abortion because they aren't ready to be a parent. Like holy shit you spend two hours with a character of a young girl and your conclusion is that she should never have been born because her mother had shitty life decisions.
If you want a real game play Quern.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
On my Quest to seek out new games, I've been playing Star Dynasties. It's basically crusader kings in space, but more oriented around the character-based Dallas-esque aspect of that game, if that tells you anything. It brings also quite a bit of improvement to the Crusader Kings formula, from little UI improvements like making names and places in pop up windows hyperlinked texts you can click to be directly lead to them, to giving you sort of a "todo list" to the more interesting actions you can take, sorted in categories like "inner politics" "outer politics" etc.

It has it's bugs and balance issues but feels generally like a polished CK. There's not as much content as CK has though and you've seen everything the game has to offer in a few hours. Contrary to CK it's also turn based which is seemingly disliked by the normies if you read the steam reviews but in my opinion makes infinitely more sense than what paradox is doing in it's strategy games. (The semi-realtime makes kind of sense for HoI and used to be something special paradox did way back when everything else was turn based, it in my opinion just doesn't make sense for games at the scale of e.g. Stellaris or CK, especially not at the resolutions they run it at) When you finish a turn, the game shows you the important events that happened around the place (configurable via filter) so you know what's going on in the universe.

Star Dynasties has kind of a honor system where some actions break the societies' rules and affect honor negatively and having negative honor basically makes everyone dislike you. Sometimes it's worth it but it's a balancing act. When a character did something rule-breaking (e.g. assassination) to another house, it gives that house justification (no or lessened honor impact) to do something normally considered rule-breaking back, like going to war. You can also "bring justice" to your vassals or nobles in your influence or ask your liege to bring justice for things done against you or your vassals, which can lead to very complicated but limited personal vendettas and is much better and more interesting than what CK does.

It also has a "secrets" system, where for example if you sabotage an enemy star port (or make it look like an enemy has sabotaged yours to gain a reason to go to war) it creates a "secret" involved characters will know about and other houses can find out about and use against you for several turns, which is a cool mechanic compared to the more binary you get/don't get discovered on event thing CK usually does. Some secrets are harder to find out about than others. It's interesting because it changes things depending on who might or might not find out about a particular secret. You can also play a ruler that has his spy networks everywhere and knows the dirty laundry of other rulers even if not directly involved in their business, which means you can sabotage and topple a houses reputation without even directly interacting with them.

What's also interesting is that you don't just automatically know every noble there is and actually have to have a closer direct relation to them for them to pop up for you. Something CK really, really would need. There's also a soft limit of family members a house is allowed to have connected to it's wealth and as ruler you can forbid/allow people to have children. You also have to actively try for a kid, they don't just happen. This is of course mostly a game balancing thing they introduced but it is reasonably built into the lore.

The game also does something I like but others don't by abstracting away fleet and combat into pure numbers. There's no fleet movement on the map, no little ships you have to move around which also means no braindead AI getting stuck doing dumb things or AI being generally poor at war. Combat happens in deceicive battles around star systems with a specific commander you pick. When you attack you can ask other nobles (algined and non-aligned) to join in and so can the defender. Combat itself is sort of a rock-paper-scissors kind of deal with different battle tactics different leaders know. It'd make the post too long to explain it all but it's quite interesting. I'm also really not a fan of moving fleets/armies around. Abstraction is sometimes actually good, especially when it helps the AI which it really does.

All in all, interesting game but lacking content right now. I hope they expand upon it.

Last edited:

Pronouns: Xe/Xer
kiwifarms.net
Dota2 if you ask me.

Edit: Dota2 had some fun changes regarding the meta generell gameplay.
New heroes, new mechanics, new items.
Imo it's in a good Spot, definitely one of the better Iterations.
Gave DotA a try again.

It crashed 3 times and now I have elo penalty/30min wait time. So I quit.

Wow such improvement.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Cryptoland pfp like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Lately, I have been playing football simulators most often.
Such as?

I came across Axis Football the other day and I'm curious about it since it looks at least competent. Reviews aren't terrible but not sure to what extent it's just hopium for a viable Madden alternative.

Or did you mean soccer?

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 and HD is being removed from sale because they didn't have the license to some of the footage they use in it. Info from Kotaku, won't provide a link because someone might click on it.

Full list:
・PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
・PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
・PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION
・PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
・PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
・PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
・PlayStation™Now METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
・Xbox 360 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION: 2 & 3
・Nintendo 3DS METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D
・GOG.com METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SUBSTANCE
・NVIDIA® SHIELD™ METAL GEAR SOLID 2 HD for SHIELD TV
・NVIDIA® SHIELD™ METAL GEAR SOLID 3 HD for SHIELD TV

Scanline

kiwifarms.net
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 and HD is being removed from sale because they didn't have the license to some of the footage they use in it. Info from Kotaku, won't provide a link because someone might click on it.
This isn't a huge deal. Konami's working to resolve it and apparently it'll just be a temporary removal. I expect them to be back up relatively soon after.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Some games I played recently:
Inscryption - Initially a roguelike card game but it twists into Game Theory baiting alternate reality game. At least the first part has great atmosphere, but it's gameplay is kinda shit with not letting the player customize their decks, having cards that literally can let the player win automatically once you pull them, and having some runs being impossible due to opponent tactics being impossible to win against. After the first part the quality goes down and it feels a lot like the dev ran out of patience and phoned in the assets he didn't use. Also the game has scripted "you lose" points which are a fucking massive bullshit in a roguelike, I did manage to get pass one but it basically made me lose a lot of time once I realized I need to kill myself to continue the plot.

The Hex - By the same dev, it has high reviews and honestly I can't understand why. Basically we have Reboot rules and 6 game characters meet in a hotel, we play the "games" each one was in and it comes out into a full interconnected story. The big problem is that each part is twice as long as it could be so it just wears out its welcome. The final revelation just doesn't click due to the "video game characters are real", how the technology just doesn't make sense timewise, the way the game pulls moralizing "shooting games are evil", and the final revelations having massive plot holes.