Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Articles and Nudes

kiwifarms.net
Is the DLC for Yakuza, like a Dragon, all cosmetic and cheat stuff?

Is there also anything I need to know from the rest of the franchise? This will be the first time I've played anything in it.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is the DLC for Yakuza, like a Dragon, all cosmetic and cheat stuff?
All but one. The Job one gives you two extra jobs, one for men and one for women. You won't be able to use either until roughly 30 hours into the game at the very earliest, as they're treated as the last unlockable jobs for whatever reason. They've gone on sale for like $3 before, so I'd say just hold off until you actually get that far into the game and see if you still care enough to wait for another sale.

Is there also anything I need to know from the rest of the franchise? This will be the first time I've played anything in it.
Not really. It's a very accessible game without knowing much about the series. You just won't get as much out of a few scenes where they bring back some old characters.

Like a Dragon was my first Yakuza game, and it's hooked me on the series. It is one of the best games I have ever played.

The Spoony One X

Xbox Live Gamertag - DARK MASTER
kiwifarms.net
I love shit like that! Now I'm kinda mad that I haven't downloaded Death Stranding on my PS5 yet.

I've just been playing Horizon Zero Dawn lately. I finally got into it after years of going "oh that looks so good, I should try it someday" and it turns out I was right, it is really good. Better late than never!
Is Horizon designed like every other modern open world game where you have X amount of towers, X amount of bases to blow up, X amount of things to collect, and they are all marked on the map and spaced out by an algorithm so that there is no overlap? I like the idea of a world inhabited by artificial Zoid creatures but I have not been able to stomach modern open world games since Assassin's Creed 2 or Far Cry 3.

It sort of plays on the achievement/gambling side of the brain rather than the pure enjoyment side of the brain doesn't it?

It's funny that video game developers figured out in the 80s that fighting aliens, demons, robots, dinosaurs etc works a lot better than fighting guy with singlet and guy with jacket because you can design all sorts of interesting enemy types and behaviors, and then that was forgotten before this on going open world era, it's a shame that Horizon is one of the few open world games that have something to fight other than humans.

Anyway I didn't mean to be so negative, have fun.

admiral

Новый мир рождается на наших глазах!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think 2d platformer/action/metroidvania games are becoming my favourite. Blasphemous and Death's Gambit have both been really fun gameplay wise and aesthetically interesting, not to mention having pretty compelling storylines. Other games I liked from the last few years were The Messenger, Apotheon, and Momodora:Reverie Under the Moonlight.

Scanline

kiwifarms.net
I think 2d platformer/action/metroidvania games are becoming my favourite. Blasphemous and Death's Gambit have both been really fun gameplay wise and aesthetically interesting, not to mention having pretty compelling storylines. Other games I liked from the last few years were The Messenger, Apotheon, and Momodora:Reverie Under the Moonlight.
The only Metroidvania game I've ever gotten hooked by was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which is one of the best fuckin' games ever.

Since then, though, I've wanted to try other well renowned ones like Super Metroid.

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is Horizon designed like every other modern open world game where you have X amount of towers, X amount of bases to blow up, X amount of things to collect, and they are all marked on the map and spaced out by an algorithm so that there is no overlap? I like the idea of a world inhabited by artificial Zoid creatures but I have not been able to stomach modern open world games since Assassin's Creed 2 or Far Cry 3.

It sort of plays on the achievement/gambling side of the brain rather than the pure enjoyment side of the brain doesn't it?

It's funny that video game developers figured out in the 80s that fighting aliens, demons, robots, dinosaurs etc works a lot better than fighting guy with singlet and guy with jacket because you can design all sorts of interesting enemy types and behaviors, and then that was forgotten before this on going open world era, it's a shame that Horizon is one of the few open world games that have something to fight other than humans.

Horizon has a very limited amount of stuff to do in the open world so it's not cluttered like an assassin's creed and the like.

The towers in the game would be these moving giraffe type creatures and it's less about climbing them and more to do about finding the entry way on the ground that allows you to jump on them. There's 5 in total and the one in the DLC is part of a quest where you have to find 3 facilities to get parts to repair it.

What most people do is make a beeline to Frozen Wilds when they're first able to do so since you level up way more quickly and get better items from there. Frozen Wilds weapons are overpowered to anything in the base game and if you kite encounters in frozen wilds you wind up getting 2-5 levels each time you kill a machine there. Frozen Wilds is a much smaller area but even the questlines there are better and more varied than the base game.

Once people finish frozen wilds they then do the base game and this cuts down on a lot of the downtime the original game had since you now can just hit everything like a truck. The base game still has the overall best armor which is Shieldweaver and grants you an invincibility buff for a few hits and after it breaks it needs a few seconds to recharge, you get it after you complete a long side quest where you gather power cells to open US Military weapons facility. But the Frozen Wilds armor has the highest defense up until that point and also quests reward with BIS enhancements for armor and weapons.

Base game had some real garbage for loot rewards that the DLC didn't continue, so it's another reason why most people do the DLC first. DLC quest rewards are not randomized loot boxes, they're concrete upgrades that are specific to each quest like how Zelda rewards you with a new item and the like.

admiral

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The only Metroidvania game I've ever gotten hooked by was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which is one of the best fuckin' games ever.

Since then, though, I've wanted to try other well renowned ones like Super Metroid.
I'd really recommend Blasphemous if you liked Castlevania; it's had a lot of content added recently and it's currently on sale for something ridiculous like 75% off. That's insanely cheap for something so high quality. It's very slick and fast paced, and the combat can be tough but it is fair (except for one bullshit bossfight near the end, but even that isn't too bad). It's pretty traditional in that you go around unlocking doors and collecting new abilities, and there's lots of hidden secrets and rewards you can find through exploration. The map is pretty huge and varied, and it's got a great soundtrack. The aesthetic was inspired by Goya's Procession of Flagellants, and it's pretty clearly referencing the Catholic church in the aesthetic and in some of the plotpoints.

AJneedsElocution

Always outsmarted,never out reeeee'd
kiwifarms.net
Today randomly i saw a copy of conkers bad fur day for sale at a price i thought seemed cheap for its rarity,wtf does it generaly sell for to ninendty spergs these days?

albert the programmer

Robert George Kardashian was the best Kardashian
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty fitting that Astral Chain will be the last video game I play in 2021. I waited almost two years to play this game, and it will be a game where the other worldly police force seem to protect their citizens and city from danger, while in the real world, there’s more crime and homicide that not even the most competent of cops will be able to stop it.

Oh, well. Hope you all have a great 2022. ;)

Sourceress

chaotic neutral
kiwifarms.net

It's definitely very different from Far Cry and Assassin's Creed so far, at least I feel like it is? There's a lot less of the base destroying - you can go after bandit camps if you want but it's optional and doesn't function the same way as the bases in FC/AC. There's stuff to do in the open world, but it's a lot less structured and annoying than FC/AC. I would say it feels more like Fallout than FC/AC to me, in that there are points of interest in the open world (dungeon-like areas, hunting lodges with special challenges to complete for rewards, bandit camps, etc.) but it feels more organic and fun. I'm not very far into the game yet but that's my impression so far.

I usually like games like Far Cry (am less keen on Assassin's Creed but have enjoyed some of them) despite the repetitiveness, but HZD feels like a completely different kind of game.

Horizon has a very limited amount of stuff to do in the open world so it's not cluttered like an assassin's creed and the like.

The towers in the game would be these moving giraffe type creatures and it's less about climbing them and more to do about finding the entry way on the ground that allows you to jump on them. There's 5 in total and the one in the DLC is part of a quest where you have to find 3 facilities to get parts to repair it.

What most people do is make a beeline to Frozen Wilds when they're first able to do so since you level up way more quickly and get better items from there. Frozen Wilds weapons are overpowered to anything in the base game and if you kite encounters in frozen wilds you wind up getting 2-5 levels each time you kill a machine there. Frozen Wilds is a much smaller area but even the questlines there are better and more varied than the base game.

Once people finish frozen wilds they then do the base game and this cuts down on a lot of the downtime the original game had since you now can just hit everything like a truck. The base game still has the overall best armor which is Shieldweaver and grants you an invincibility buff for a few hits and after it breaks it needs a few seconds to recharge, you get it after you complete a long side quest where you gather power cells to open US Military weapons facility. But the Frozen Wilds armor has the highest defense up until that point and also quests reward with BIS enhancements for armor and weapons.

Base game had some real garbage for loot rewards that the DLC didn't continue, so it's another reason why most people do the DLC first. DLC quest rewards are not randomized loot boxes, they're concrete upgrades that are specific to each quest like how Zelda rewards you with a new item and the like.

I want to thank you for this comment because I didn't know about that and just completed the first area... so I think I'll go do Frozen Wilds soon lol!

admiral

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like the benevolent spirit mechanic in Nioh 2, it's great to be able to summon some other fucker to act as enemy bait while you gank them from behind. However, the summoned spirits are pretty bad about sprinting into fires and dying instantly. I worked hard for those cups :(

Jinmen

kiwifarms.net
Today randomly i saw a copy of conkers bad fur day for sale at a price i thought seemed cheap for its rarity,wtf does it generaly sell for to ninendty spergs these days?

Yes, blame youtubers such as MetalJesusRocks. They hiked up the prices of retro games/consoles with their stupid videos and practically ruined searching for cheap games in flea markets/yardsales.

whogoesthere

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
kiwifarms.net

I played the game and enjoyed it. Its like a solid 7/10. It does nothing new, but what it does do it does well enough. The robot dino fights are fun, with some challenge but nothing over the top. Storyline is fine, nothing fancy, about what you would expect from a modern high production game. I would say grab it, its a very enjoyable game, well paced, decent combat and its paced well enough. Its the pinnacle of acceptable weekend gaming.

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes, blame youtubers such as MetalJesusRocks. They hiked up the prices of retro games/consoles with their stupid videos and practically ruined searching for cheap games in flea markets/yardsales.
I'm pretty sure everyone now reads HIDDEN GEMS in his voice now.

There's still finds to be had, but the trick is to go after what people are not talking about.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
you're in luck then, there were some really great games (judging by the demos) featured in the next fests. ymmv may varey of course.

some played/some from my wishlist, some even still have a demo up:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203630/Record_of_Lodoss_WarDeedlit_in_Wonder_Labyrinth/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/449610/Monster_Boy_and_the_Cursed_Kingdom/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/620220/Catmaze/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1701520/Afterimage/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/720560/Vigil_The_Longest_Night/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1035760/Glimmer_in_Mirror/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1311070/Greak_Memories_of_Azur/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369630/ENDER_LILIES_Quietus_of_the_Knights/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1330470/FIST_Forged_In_Shadow_Torch/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1123050/GRIME/

admiral

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The Spoony One X

Xbox Live Gamertag - DARK MASTER
kiwifarms.net
@Marissa Moira @Sourceress Thank you for your thoughts on Horizon, I might give it a try in the near future.

I was looking at some of the top indie games of the year lists and as per usual it's full of procedural generation games (will this trend ever die out?) and these games are still being called roguelikes. A roguelike game is a game like Rogue, it is not a catch all term for any games that procedurally generates something.

Apparently the difference between a roguelike and a roguelite is - "They only differ in one small way, but it's a detail that changes almost everything about the experience of playing these games. Simply put, roguelites have meta-progression, and roguelikes do not. It's a fairly simple concept. When you die in a roguelite game, you take something with you into the next run."

So you can make any kind of game that has something in it that is randomly generated and that's close enough to Rogue to be called a roguelike, but don't you dare allow the player to keep something after death and not call it a roguelite.

If I want to play a game that is similar to Rogue then what do I search for?