Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrokenWokenBespoken

kiwifarms.net
Emperor, Rise of the Middle Kingdom, a city builder that had a puzzle like mechanic with the Feng Shui system where you have to plop the buildings on places deemed matching to the aesthetic so you get benefits like popularity, better city health and boons to offerings made

Dr. Geronimo

How do I look, yellow n'wah?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1642124908149.png

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Cryptoland pfp like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
I can't put down Zomboid

The new update for mp is just...amazing.
I recently picked up Zomboid as well. Interesting game. It's one of those games where everything can be going right and then you make one little mistake and you're basically fucked and any time you spend not just starting a new game is just delaying the inevitable - but it doesn't feel unfair when it happens, unlike in some games like that. And there doesn't seem to be an end to the mechanics.

Example: I came out of the rain and into my base house in my last game and threw all my clothes including my shoes into a dryer. I then went to go turn on the television, passing by a broken window along the way - and my feet promptly got cut to hell by the glass and I was losing health quickly. I sat down and started bandaging up my feet, but the bandages got dirty really quickly. Eventually I figured out I had shards of glass in my feet that I had to pull out before bandaging. Okay, got that figured out; wonder if there's a way to clean up the glass so I don't do that again. So I right-click on the glass on the floor and yes, there's an option to clean up the glass - which promptly caused lacerations on my bare hands and more heavy bleeding. I gave up on that game after that… but yeah, that's totally fair and it taught me something I can avoid doing in my next game.

Definitely a fun and clever game. Don't let the plain graphics make you overlook it.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Finished Hercule Poirot - The First Cases. I don't recommend it. I picked up the game looking for a quest game and seeing it had a positive score but it's wasn't worth the time. My biggest gripe is that the mystery isn't that interesting, you have a prologue story before engaging in old school "closed mansion with crime", and you know through the back of your mind that everything must relate to the prologue, otherwise it would have had no point and that's very much what happens. Also the victim in the game is played as such a ridiculously evil person that it feels childish, I expected the game to tell me he was a rapist as well just to hammer home I shouldn't feel bad for him, and that I should feel bad for the perpetrator instead.
The idea of combining clues in your head is interesting but most of the time feels like the game only wants an overly specific set of braindead deductions before "allowing" you to come into an obvious conclusion, and the amount of clues can be huge, making the process a chore.
Graphically it looks bad and it feels very anarchonistic, especially with how the plot is around worker unions, the evils of capitalism/aristorcracy (even though those usually go against one another) and union busting.
Finally, having the game go over the same events several times is just tiring.

Jinmen

kiwifarms.net
Listen, I don't give a shit how much smaller in scale/graphics Monster Hunter Rise may be in comparison to world but SKIPPABLE CUTSCENES AND NO BABYSITTING HANDLER MAKE IT MORE ENJOYABLE. Say this as someone with hundreds of hours in World. Its amazing how fast you get to hunting in Rise vs how much world loves to pad shit out with cutscenes and "follow this slow walking npc".

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Listen, I don't give a shit how much smaller in scale/graphics Monster Hunter Rise may be in comparison to world but SKIPPABLE CUTSCENES AND NO BABYSITTING HANDLER MAKE IT MORE ENJOYABLE. Say this as someone with hundreds of hours in World. Its amazing how fast you get to hunting in Rise vs how much world loves to pad shit out with cutscenes and "follow this slow walking npc".
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't know Rise reminded me why I hated Generations and Generations Ultimate. They kept adding enough nonsensical bullshit that didn't improve gameplay. World's tutorial made sense at the time because they made a huge departure from what series veterans were used to and people needed to regain their bearings. You can see this when you hit Iceborne content, you're thrown into a much harder fight immediately. They later patched in starter armor and weapons, but when it first came out Iceborne already assumed you were very familiar with World's combat and treated it as such. World felt way more honed and refined than Rise IMO, especially after Iceborne. I may have a different opinion on Rise once Sunbreak has some time to fix shit, but Rise just felt all over the place.

Honestly I'm more interested on why Sunbreak isn't coming to other platforms. The exclusivity deal is passed and Capcom already did spend time improving the PC port when it came to performance. I think they're giving it some time but we probably have another World Sequel in the works,

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Apex is such a shitty fucking game. You either spend 10 minutes wandering around far as fuck from where everything's happening and then instantly die to one of the better 5 teams when yours finally gets around to doing something or you just drop in and die to some fucking asshole shooting you while you're busy with 5 other fucking assholes infront of you.

Scanline

kiwifarms.net
Apex is such a shitty fucking game. You either spend 10 minutes wandering around far as fuck from where everything's happening and then instantly die to one of the better 5 teams when yours finally gets around to doing something or you just drop in and die to some fucking asshole shooting you while you're busy with 5 other fucking assholes infront of you.
Skill issue

Darsheel

Currently hitting the drum
kiwifarms.net
Honestly the best part of that game was the halloween mode they introduced and i mean the first version released in 2019 it was legit terrifying when your own teammates ( who are now undead ) try to kill you or when your the only one standing trying to get to the jet while the entire server was trying to kill you

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Cryptoland pfp like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, that's kinda that genre of battle royale game in general. Were you just playing solo? These games are more fun when you play on a competent team that can back up and resuscitate each other.

timewave0

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Have any of you guys tried those chink retro handhelds? Im sure they’re garbage quality but I’m thinking of getting one anyway.

CryptoHermit

chud visigoth
kiwifarms.net
Have any of you guys tried those chink retro handhelds? Im sure they’re garbage quality but I’m thinking of getting one anyway.
You mean shit like the hipster analogue? They're almost always a scam where they do nothing to improve the design. This pos still has the issue of being able to accidently eject cartridges by moving your hands onto the back slightly. Nothing is better handheld wise than a jailbroken PSP or 3DS with a sd card with all the ROMS of games you want anyway.
1642446283101.png

timewave0

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You mean shit like the hipster analogue? They're almost always a scam where they do nothing to improve the design. This pos still has the issue of being able to accidently eject cartridges by moving your hands onto the back slightly. Nothing is better handheld wise than a jailbroken PSP or 3DS with a sd card with all the ROMS of games you want anyway.
View attachment 2895155
Not the analogue one in particular but yeah, that type of device. I'm considering getting the Retro Pocket 2+ because it can supposedly emulate up to N64 & PS1 without much issue. I don't have a PSP or DS otherwise I would jailbreak one of those like you said. Since it's only $100 I guess I'll roll the dice but keep my expectations very low

thegooddoctor

kiwifarms.net
What do you expect it’s another Halo Clone shooter in the leagues of Anthem and Destiny, there’s no soul or heart put into most shooters now, everyone are mostly interchangeable.

Polarity

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not the analogue one in particular but yeah, that type of device. I'm considering getting the Retro Pocket 2+ because it can supposedly emulate up to N64 & PS1 without much issue. I don't have a PSP or DS otherwise I would jailbreak one of those like you said. Since it's only $100 I guess I'll roll the dice but keep my expectations very low
I tried one of these -- the anbernic something or other. Spent a while setting it up and found that to be the most fun part. After I got it ready, remembered that I really don't enjoy playing NES/Gameboy stuff anymore. Only large negative for a throwaway 100$ handheld was that it takes a long time to boot and doesn't have a sleep mode if I remember right. So it's hard to drop into a game and play during a bathroom break.

I think the Retro Pocket 2+ can go into a sleep mode as it runs Android, but the downside is that you need to manually install and setup a bunch of emulators.

Looks neat -- I'd probably get it if they had clear plastic colors offered.

I was also just tempted to pick up some sort of modded Gameboy with a flash cart for a more authetic experience with less bullshit and setup, but they get pretty expensive and there's too many options.

timewave0

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If I'm gonna play handheld games I'll do it on original hardware. Emulation just doesn't do it for me anymore.
Yeah I can understand that. Sadly I don’t have any of my games left from when I was a kid, and collector/investorfags have spiked the prices for all original games & hardware. I just want to have the option to play some old games every once in a while, so for that purpose I think these emulators will probably (hopefully) be good enough