Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I don't swear

kiwifarms.net
Should I post in Games or Music if I wanted music specifically from games? And the music in question being hype music, i.e., Strange Sunset (Guile's Theme).

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
Should I post in Games or Music if I wanted music specifically from games? And the music in question being hype music, i.e., Strange Sunset (Guile's Theme).

Or

edit: the quality is a bit different between the sites and I don't know if the Playstation version is the best but that's also an option, so search around those two.

thegooddoctor

kiwifarms.net
I’ve been thinking of getting into the yakuza games recently, I’ve seen them promoted on PlayStation throughout the years and heard very good things since the release of Yakuza 0 back in 2017 that really brought the series into the western limelight. Yakuza: like a dragon also looks hella fun too. For a newcomer what would be the best starting point? Do I have needed to play all the previous ones on Ps2 and 3 for it to make sense? Or can I drop in at Zero and still have fun? What would you recommend.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
I’ve been thinking of getting into the yakuza games recently, I’ve seen them promoted on PlayStation throughout the years and heard very good things since the release of Yakuza 0 back in 2017 that really brought the series into the western limelight. Yakuza: like a dragon also looks hella fun too. For a newcomer what would be the best starting point? Do I have needed to play all the previous ones on Ps2 and 3 for it to make sense? Or can I drop in at Zero and still have fun? What would you recommend.
Zero is a fine entrypoint. It does have some references of past games from release order (mainly in the form of "guest characters" in substories) but nothing of importance if they go over your head anyway.

Like a Dragon is actually the 7th mainline game but the western branches of Sega decided to treat like a spinoff for whatever reason.

Kiwami 1 is an okay remake of the first game if you don't want to mess around PS2/PS3 emulation but I particularly disliked the heavy grind in Komaki's Techniques and Majima Everywhere (both required to fully unlock the skills and power of the fourth fighting style, the Dragon of Dojima) while the original game had none of that.

IDanceonTrannyGraves

kiwifarms.net
I played 1 and 2 on PS2, then Kiwami 1 and 2. I got the Remastered collection for Xmas and am making my way through Y3 now. I honestly don't know if I can be assed playing 0 because I already know the basic story.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
iron rain.png
I've finished EDF Iron Rain on PC, that I bought on Steam during the current sale, and boy that game was a hot mess.

-Definitively shorter compared to the mainline games: 52 missions in total (EDF2 had 70-ish missions, EDF3 reached exactly 60, EDF4.1 contained nearly 100, and EDF5 had a whooping 110)

-NPC allies are utterly useless as they will shoot in the opposite direction where the enemies are located most of the time, and never downwards or upwards. They don't even make good decoys because the aliens and giant insects will often focus on the player only. I even suspected my allies of killing each other through friendly fire.

-You can easily get stuck in a loop through stuns, frozen status, grabs, etc as, unlike in the mainline titles, there are no "invincibility" frames in a short period of time once you're back up on your feet. Status effects such as poison (from giant scorpions) progressively eating away your HP were also fucking gay.

-If an enemy corpse is located behind your character model but takes up your entire screen, the game will no longer register the hitboxes of anything you shoot forwards.

-I know people complained about grinding certain maps for high-end weapons at random in the mainline EDFs, but Iron Rain takes the idea in an even worse turn. Weapons appear in the inventory upon completing a certain mission (no idea if the rank rating for your personal performance has an influence) but you need money and specific gems (blue, yellow or/and red that are dropped by aliens/insects) in order to actually unlock them. The problem arises with B-rank weapons that generally need 100k bucks at least when a mission on Hard difficulty awards you at best 30k-40k.

-Increasing your own HP bar also costs money as armor boxes don't appear in this game either.

-Using items like grenades, vehicles or self-healing will penalize you by reducing the total amount of money rewarded.

-Damage output of the weapons was frankly garbage compared to the large HP pool of the enemies. Always took me a full cartridge of an assault rifle to eliminate a mere ant, or two at best, in Hard difficulty. I ended up using the heavy armor PA-Gear class (the "Fencer" class which allows dual-wielding your equipped weapons) in the last row of missions so I could handle whatever the game would throw at my face.

-Elite versions of certain enemies are also resistant to a specific type of weapon (grey ants for example can tank laser weapons) meaning the game encourages you even less to experiment unlike in the regular EDFs. As if spending large sums of money to obtain just one weapon wasn't bad enough.

-Final boss (divided into two separate missions) was bleh

-Probably a problem of the PC port itself but pressing too many keys at once would make my character move towards a certain direction without any further input from the keyboard. Happening to me a few times.

I did expect a bad game to be fair, but christ almighty it was awful.
On a positive note, it does show the studio Yuke improved quite a lot with World Brothers, which was a decent anniversary spinoff.

I played 1 and 2 on PS2, then Kiwami 1 and 2. I got the Remastered collection for Xmas and am making my way through Y3 now. I honestly don't know if I can be assed playing 0 because I already know the basic story.
It's a prequel story so the main point is to see how the main characters were acting in their youth (Kiryu is 20 and Majima is 24 iirc) during the last years of the japanese economy bubble, and interacting with a self-contained cast of characters. I really did like Sagawa and Kuze personally.

Hope you don't get a slow burn for playing all the Yakuza games in a row however. They're good games but quite time-consuming.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
Like a Dragon is actually the 7th mainline game but the western branches of Sega decided to treat like a spinoff for whatever reason.
haven't played it yet, but doesn't it have much connection to the other games besides some guest appearances and nostalgia?

the main problem with sequels is that it's great for fans to get a new game, but anyone else can feel left out and/or is hesitant to buy it because there's an assumption that you need to know the other games first to understand it better and get more out of it (else no point making it a sequel). that gets worse the higher the number gets, and all the remasters/remakes/"which order to play" questions don't make it easier. makes sense to market the new game as it's own thing, still with the popular IP but not a numbered entry (fans will buy it anyway, less intimidating for new people).

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
haven't played it yet, but doesn't it have much connection to the other games besides some guest appearances and nostalgia?

the main problem with sequels is that it's great for fans to get a new game, but anyone else can feel left out and/or is hesitant to buy it because there's an assumption that you need to know the other games first to understand it better and get more out of it (else no point making it a sequel). that gets worse the higher the number gets, and all the remasters/remakes/"which order to play" questions don't make it easier. makes sense to market the new game as it's own thing, still with the popular IP but not a numbered entry (fans will buy it anyway, less intimidating for new people).
More likely missing out some bit of world-building context (the situation of the Tojo clan in particular) and the guest characters who take a significant role at a certain point in the main story, but I'm not against the idea of newcomers using Like a Dragon/RGG7 has an entrypoint either.

I started the franchise with Yakuza 4 on PS3 (which had an separate in-game section to sum up the story of the previous games, and you get three new whole characters that are playable with their own stories) so again that one is fine for newcomers too

Last edited:

Elysian

kiwifarms.net
I started playing Deadpool and I’m really enjoying it since I love mindless hack n slash stuff but there’s this one part in Genosha where you have to fight these 2 hulk-esque dudes that have ground pound attacks that do damage in a straight line in front of them and it’s really annoying trying to dodge them both and not die. Doesn’t help that I’m pretty sure that when they get down to half health they gain the ability to one shot you. I think I might be going at it the wrong way since I’ve been shooting at them until I run out of ammo then trying to get up close and personal to slash at them only to get fucking wasted so maybe I should do it the other way round. Most walkthroughs literally just say “fight the dudes and move on to the next area“ so I probably just need to git gud lmao. I think this game is pretty bipolar with its difficulty, its either pretty easy or ball bustingly hard with basically no middle ground between those two extremes.

Least Concern

Kill Count: π
kiwifarms.net
Didn't think that could be real, but I checked Xbox's FB profile, and at least the post is. Of course particular comments in a FB comment thread are impossible to find, so those might still be fake… I don't know, they seem a little too perfect. But about half of the comments that Facebook graciously allowed me to see are calling them out for the pandering.

Scanline

kiwifarms.net
I'd highly recommend starting with the first game on PS2. Avoid the Kiwami games if you can help it.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A lot of people start with 0 and seem to really like it. It goes on sale for $5 on every platform, too.

Personally, the series just didn't click with me until Yakuza: Like a Dragon, which I freaking loved, and then I went on to play through all of Yakuza 6 despite hearing it was a lesser title. I think I just like the Dragon Engine games, and how they're smoother than the older games, but there aren't too many of them. The Dragon Engine games being Kiwami 2, 6, and Like a Dragon; as well as the sidegames, Judgment and Lost Judgment.

Just play Like a Dragon. There, there's your conclusive answer. You don't need to know any of the backstory of the other Yakuza games to enjoy it.

Cardenio

#SlavaChargers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I completed God of War 2018 on PC. I did a lot of the side quests but the hidden bosses and it took me 30 hours. I'm very happy I played the game on Hard Difficulty as it was a constant challenge with me having to see Kratos die multiple times. So here's some uncollected thoughts. Spoilers ahead:

Postitives
1. Man did MatthewMatosis 40 minute critique really did a number on me, it really convinced me that I would have severe gripes with the game. His video is not wrong by any means, I understand where he's coming from. But where he had strong critiques for the game I found it far more forgivable. Skimming thru it now I see he felt it was bad plotting with Atreus's arc of learning that he was a God. In the game Atreus for a good 20 minutes is a little cunt and then the kid goes back to being rather innocent. I did find the segment in the story to be annoying but only in that Kratos didn't slap the brat or even yell at him. To me it makes sense that the characters in God of War ultimately are irrational, the series has always been an edgy folklore inspired drama. The gods in those stories were irrational and violent. Ultimately the hook of God of War is that Kratos is framed on the outset as this horrific anti-hero but since the very first game the truth is that Kratos has ALWAYS been the one guy with some sense moral decency. Hell even Kratos was a bit of a twat in the opening to God of War 2 after ascending into the Greek Pantheon. A recurring theme of the series is that when these beings find themselves having Godhood they become reckless.
2. Matosis and many gamers found fault with the game's over the shoulder camera system, finding frustration that Sony Santa Monica didn't do a traditional zoomed out Hack n' Slash combat. I disagree, the over the shoulder camera is what sets apart God of War 2018 from its contemporaries. The game is just visually stunning and it's immensely satisfying to just annihilate enemy cannon fodder. Yes when enemies are in back of you they can attack and ruin the fun. But at least on hard mode all you need to do is more or less dodge and run away. As long as you can accept that you have major blindspots just as you do in First Person Shooters this shouldn't be much of an inconvenience. If this game had a traditional camera it wouldn't have the same sense of scale. When I first saw a giant Troll the sense of scale just worked. As much as I love Bayonetta and DMC the truth is none of those games really make you feel small in their world and that's due to the camera.
3. I found the cast of characters to all be pretty great. In the age where it seems like everything is infected by Marvel style quipfests I found God of War 2018 to be overall a very well written game. The one character who somewhat got tiring to me was the effeminate dwarf Sindri, and that's only because pretty much every scene he's in has him doing same shtick over and over again that he's grossed out by blood and gore. I felt Christopher Judge (Teal'c from Stargate SG-1) was fantastic as Kratos. Atreus's VA was very good too. Also I found Mimir to be a great comic relief. Baldur was a great antagonist for the game, I'm happy that the game didn't pull any 180s into making you feel Baldur was by any means a sympathetic character. He was just a giant asshole and his VA did a great job.
4. I felt they did an excellent job referencing the Greek era games without it being any obnoxious memberberries. On the forefront you just get the ghosts of Athena and Zeus tormenting Kratos and it's just tastefully done, they didn't ignore the past games but this one sets out to be its own thing. This is how Soft Reboots are supposed to be done.
5. The reveal of Kratos retrieving the Chains of Olympus is one of the best cutscenes I've ever seen in a video game. They nailed that shit..

Negatives
1.. If there's anything I can nitpick I really wish the game did away with the blunt of the RPG mechanics. Specifically the whole enchantment socket system. I'm sure there are gamers who enjoy mixing and matching stat boosts but I found it to be an unnecessary chore. Towards the end of the game I just put in the highest level enchantments without bothering to read them.
2. Thank GOD I am not one of those autistic gamers who needs to 100% every game he likes. Because I believe this one would make that type of players insane or forced to cheese their way via Walkthroughs. There were multiple times in the game where I would find a chest and feel obliged to solve the simple puzzle when part of me just wanted to keep the fights/story going. I feel there was an overabundance of collecting in the game which made finding armor, cash, powerups not very exciting. I think I only killed 8 of 51 of Odin's Raven's. Oh well.
3. The combat does take a while to open up. It felt very basic for the opening hours of the game. I wish this design choice would die already and I'm going to be really annoyed if Ragnarok starts in a similar fashion. I expect the sequel to expand upon the combat mechanics
4. It felt like they had a very simple well made story that got stretched a little thin by the end. The last half of the game's main quest is practically opening the door to the home world of the Giants but then something has to go wrong. This isn't a problem because the main story just constantly has incredible setpieces but it was an issue with pacing.
5. While the game wants to make you believe you're on a massive quest it feels more like a "Theme Park" experience if that makes any sense. But the original God of War games were already "Theme Park" style experiences. This is ultimately a linear game with an open map. Now that I think about it the game gives me Zelda Ocarina of Time vibes. Not a bad thing for my tastes but I could see it disappointing to some.

Overall I highly recommend God of War 2018 to any fan of action games. I feel this game is ultimately peerless when it comes to presentation. The combat mechanics when Kratos is upgraded is just delightful and the game has a great sense of weight. And this is coming from someone who was massively underwhelmed and didn't even finish The Last of Us. In my eyes Sony Santa Monica is just on a whole different tier than Naughty Dog whose games I feel are just too scripted for their own good.

Last edited:

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Cardenio
God of War 2018 honestly struck me as a Zelda type game when I originally played it too. It was structured in very much the same way from the main campaign to the side activities. It also didn't fill the world with useless crap and made everything of significant use like how Zelda usually does it.

Being that Zelda doesn't get a new installment all that frequently, having competing series in a similar vein is something I want. It also certainly fared better than Sony's first major attempt at a Zelda style game with Dark Cloud.

Demislob

Flesh Automaton
kiwifarms.net
Decided to grab Dying Light 2, and it's alright so far. The characters aren't great and the power dynamic between factions is nothing special, but the game is fun. Having a rainbow flag show up in the first 20 minutes made me laugh.

Haramburger

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
kiwifarms.net
I am so fucking bad at FTL(Faster Than Light), I'll feel like I'm doing good and get halfway thru a game and then some NIGGER PIRATES board me and fuck up my ship, or some random ship battle will utterly trash all systems on board and it's just suddenly over AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUCK
1644340597103.png
I like the travel and encounters in this and Sunless Sea, but it doesn't need to be this fucking HARD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Least Concern

Kill Count: π
kiwifarms.net
I am so fucking bad at FTL(Faster Than Light), I'll feel like I'm doing good and get halfway thru a game and then some NIGGER PIRATES board me and fuck up my ship, or some random ship battle will utterly trash all systems on board and it's just suddenly over AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUCK
View attachment 2967875
I like the travel and encounters in this and Sunless Sea, but it doesn't need to be this fucking HARD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ha, I used to play FTL so much that my wife at the time started complaining about it. It's definitely on the harder side of the scale of modern roguelikes - no matter how much skill and experience you build up with the mechanics, it still basically comes down to the RNG to decide if you're going to get (or be able to buy) the weapons and shields you'll need to survive. I think I've only beat it twice in all the years I played it.