Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
FUCK off aussie nigger
If you played any of the Agarest games they're over 100+ hours each, entirely uncensored and godawful.

Yes sure they'll feature tits, but tits don't help to ease any of badly done grinds that block you at nearly every pass. Stuff like Tales of Berseria and Xenoblade Chronicles X while both censored, stand well above games like that.

Becomemysoulreaver

kiwifarms.net

So, I assume no one really cares, but the game I was making that I showed here months ago changed quite a bit since the last time I posted it here

albert the programmer

Robert George Kardashian was the best Kardashian
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sega Saturn looks like an interesting video game console. I should look more into it.

Least Concern

Kill Count: π
kiwifarms.net
Sega Saturn looks like an interesting video game console. I should look more into it.
Why did you spoiler it?

It's a part of the sad story of Sega in the mid-'90s, when Sega couldn't stop self-sabotaging. Despite that, there was a lot of creativity and energy in the ecosystem in the Saturn and Dreamcast years, which makes all the wasted potential all the more sad.

The Saturn was modem-capable and even had a web browser. The "3D Controller" was the first one for a major console which had analogue shoulder buttons (which the Dreamcast and then Xbox would later copy) which were excellent for playing the ports of Sega's arcade racing games. But at the end of the day, Sega's footgunning and infighting caused them to release a system which didn't have 3D capabilities at the level of its competitors, even while their arcade division was releasing hit after hit with polygonal graphics. What a waste of potential.

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The big spoiler for Horizon Forbidden West got leaked

Flying Mounts, around somewhere close to the midpoint you get access to flying

Maybe it will be as much of an upgrade as it was to Xenoblade Chronicles X with having you re-explore old areas and finding new locations.

There's also stuff relating to questline outcome that's mirroring Bethesda style choices. However looks like the skill tree is the same style as the original and it's not based on having different builds

TheSockiestSock

Stuff me in your mouth
kiwifarms.net
I was reminded of NieR Automata today which reminded me of the whole universe it is based in where the protagonist prince in a fantasy europe with magic scenario is a mass murdering mute psycho with a dragon and a sister who wants to sex him then she gets kidnapped so he joins forces with a genocidal old dude, a blind child fucker priest, a pyromaniac who burned her family, and a malicious fairy to murder spree their way to get her back only to have pan dimensional deities who manifest as giant cannibal babies send them to 2003 tokyo to have a dance battle and when the psycho wins he is thanked by being blown up by the Japanese Air Force.

This of course causes magic and shit to spread in a world where magic shouldn’t exist and shit goes ploin shaped. Humanity is pretty much doomed except they try to save people by storing their souls and making robot bodies except the robots get sick and the protagonist of the sequel inadvertently DESTROYS ANY CHANCES OF SAVING HUMANITY BECAUSE HE WANTS HIS DAUGHTER DAMMIT. Also random cross dresser companion because japan.

which brings us to Nier Automata which I won’t get too into except the last remnants of humanity are supposed to be on the moon and waiting for Earth to be habitable again oh yeah and including all the above shit fucking ALIENS FROM OUTTA NOWHERE invaded because yoko tano the creator really wants you to know he hates his creations.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
Why did you spoiler it?

It's a part of the sad story of Sega in the mid-'90s, when Sega couldn't stop self-sabotaging. Despite that, there was a lot of creativity and energy in the ecosystem in the Saturn and Dreamcast years, which makes all the wasted potential all the more sad.

The Saturn was modem-capable and even had a web browser. The "3D Controller" was the first one for a major console which had analogue shoulder buttons (which the Dreamcast and then Xbox would later copy) which were excellent for playing the ports of Sega's arcade racing games. But at the end of the day, Sega's footgunning and infighting caused them to release a system which didn't have 3D capabilities at the level of its competitors, even while their arcade division was releasing hit after hit with polygonal graphics. What a waste of potential.
I'm probably reposting myself with this but I think that Sega didn't want to compete with itself. The arcade division had been very lucrative for them and it was a prestigious field as well where they were very innovative when it comes to both hardware and software.

The ideal situation would be to have a home console business and a strong arcade business, provide two different experiences and sell two different types of hardware. Take into consideration that the saturn was released in late '94 so their rationality would be based on their market in 1993 or so when arcades were still strong. Sony didn't have a business that the Playstation could cannibalize so they could go balls to the walls with their hardware, and if arcade patrons stayed home and played Wipeout that did not hurt them in the slightest.

That's my theory at least.

trent

kiwifarms.net
Lost Ark is shit and the most astroturfed game of the year so far.

I played a couple of hours today because my buddies are getting into it but I just don't get it.

I played as a paladin and all of the attacks/abilities seem to be pretty much the same AoE style thingies and the combat is a mediocre take on Diablo.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow as a sorcereress because that's supposedly the best newbie class but if it just throws another 8 slightly different AoEs at me then I think I'll be giving the game a miss.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
hot /ss/ action

Your best bet to emulate the system is through Mednafen (which is command-line only unless you use mednaffe or retroarch for an actual GUI). It's also quite high demanding due of its aim for accuracy so be sure to have a good CPU, an Intel Haswell quadcore is the bare minimum.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've thought about writing a big retrospective thread about all of those Android consoles that were everywhere in the early 2010s, but there's just really not much to say about them at all. It's such an unremarkable and stupid chapter in the history of video games. There isn't even much to laugh at, beyond that Crowbcat video about the Ouya. Speaking of Ouya, this year will mark the 10th anniversary of its Kickstarter (and I'm gonna tag @Dom Cruise just to see his reaction), and absolutely nothing of value ever came from it. There weren't any hidden gems, the controllers were bad, and they weren't even powerful enough to emulate much beyond the NES. And they were all like that, just, totally worthless consoles with whatever trashy flash games people threw up there.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've thought about writing a big retrospective thread about all of those Android consoles that were everywhere in the early 2010s, but there's just really not much to say about them at all. It's such an unremarkable and stupid chapter in the history of video games. There isn't even much to laugh at, beyond that Crowbcat video about the Ouya. Speaking of Ouya, this year will mark the 10th anniversary of its Kickstarter (and I'm gonna tag @Dom Cruise just to see his reaction), and absolutely nothing of value ever came from it. There weren't any hidden gems, the controllers were bad, and they weren't even powerful enough to emulate much beyond the NES. And they were all like that, just, totally worthless consoles with whatever trashy flash games people threw up there.
Heh, how do you think it makes me feel? The fact that 2012 is a decade ago is flat out surreal.

But yeah, the 2010s was never not a fundamentally lame time for video games, once the decade got started in earnest in 2011 we had shit like Farmville making people declare console gaming as "dead" and stuff like those Android handhelds, which I almost forgot about.

Already things were getting very gimmicky, then Woke happened.

It wasn't ALL bad, there were still good games sure and the 8th gen consoles did give things a much needed shot in the arm for a while, but it was never not an inferior decade to the 90s and 00s, a fundamental rot set in in gaming during that time that seems to be finally killing it, gaming needed another shot in the arm with a new generation but with Covid it seems like the generation that never actually arrived, not once in over a year have I seen a non-second hand PS5 or Series X for sale anywhere, they basically don't really exist.

Another 1983 style crash is probably imminent, though to be fair the whole world's economy is probably about to collapse like a rotten wooden structure.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
gaming needed another shot in the arm with a new generation but with Covid it seems like the generation that never actually arrived, not once in over a year have I seen a non-second hand PS5 or Series X for sale anywhere, they basically don't really exist
Yeah, and even PS4s and Xbox Ones have been MIA for a while. If you're starting from zero and want a video game console, your choice right now is one of the Switches, or specifically an Xbox Series S.

And speaking of which, it's really weird how, despite there being this big crippling chip shortage that's been ongoing for over a year now, it hasn't been hard to get a Series S. Why is that? The model of the newest Xbox that can't use discs, and of course can't read discs from a computer or another Xbox One over your network, is the only one that's readily available. Like, I know the writing's been on the wall for physical copies for a long time now, but Microsoft's also been pushing Game Pass really really hard, and even full-price, AAA MS-owned games like Psychonauts 2 are just not seeing physical copies at all. I can't help but feel like this is the big push. And if the Xbox brand going forward is gonna prioritize subscription services and downloads, eventually axing discs, I'd rather just stick with PC.

Darsheel

Currently hitting the drum
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, and even PS4s and Xbox Ones have been MIA for a while. If you're starting from zero and want a video game console, your choice right now is one of the Switches, or specifically an Xbox Series S.

And speaking of which, it's really weird how, despite there being this big crippling chip shortage that's been ongoing for over a year now, it hasn't been hard to get a Series S. Why is that? The model of the newest Xbox that can't use discs, and of course can't read discs from a computer or another Xbox One over your network, is the only one that's readily available. Like, I know the writing's been on the wall for physical copies for a long time now, but Microsoft's also been pushing Game Pass really really hard, and even full-price, AAA MS-owned games like Psychonauts 2 are just not seeing physical copies at all. I can't help but feel like this is the big push. And if the Xbox brand going forward is gonna prioritize subscription services and downloads, eventually axing discs, I'd rather just stick with PC.
Another one is smartphones seriously how the fuck there is more s21s going around than ps5s or series x