Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SalmonForSale

kiwifarms.net
Question: what's the current state of Guild Wars 2? Was thinking about hoping into it a while back, got pushed out by the rather poor-quality story and the massive amounts of near-psychotic SJWs. Has the game ever improved? Or should I continue to ignore it?
I think I remember that time you are talking about story-wise.

For those who don't know: Lots of people (important plot people) were gay and you're gonna find how gay they are and why and all sorts of 5W questions about their gayness. You've probably realized that will take time to narrate all that and that there's a main story and real character work that time would have been better spent on instead of showing off how gay these characters are.

And that's why you need to slap that hetero lens off you now you superstraight cishet bigot.

Story-wise it's not much better now.

In all seriousness, they traded major sections of their storytelling out for political grandstanding with their YAS QUEEN KORMIR shit, or sassy dragon Aurene the good dragon has to fight dragon racism from the racists who want to hunt down and enslave dragons. And a whole bunch of other shit.

But the truth is I need a better idea of when you quit. Did you leave around (I think season 3) when Aurene got hatched, made that mind bond with your character and then used it to tell you her name and preferred gender (all dragons are genderspecial now)? Or did you dip later on?

Last edited:

Walther Springfield

kiwifarms.net

For those who don't know: Lots of people (important plot people) were gay and you're gonna find how gay they are and why and all sorts of 5W (and how) questions about their gayness. You've probably realized that will take time to narrate all that and that there's a main story and real character work that time would have been better spent on instead of showing off how gay these characters are.

And that's why you need to slap that hetero lens off you now you superstraight cishet bigot.

Story-wise it's not much better now.

In all seriousness, they traded major sections of their storytelling out for political grandstanding with their YAS QUEEN KORMIR shit, or sassy dragon Aurene the good dragon has to fight dragon racism from the racists who want to hunt down and enslave dragons. And a whole bunch of other shit.

But the truth is I need a better idea of when you quit. Did you leave around (I think season 3) when Aurene got hatched, made that mind bond with your character and then used it to tell you her name and preferred gender (all dragons are genderspecial now)? Or did you dip later on?
Around Season 5 technically; I never actually got through the entire base game questline, as I kept getting held up on other stuff. I always meant to get back onto it, but I ended up leaving the game entirely around early 2021, when a number of GW2 players I had been talking with, including a friend I had made several years prior, started to shove a shit-ton of left-wing political crap into their playing, in response to the "Jan 6. Terrorist Attack"; I just dropped it after that.

So, yeah. Never beat the entire base game, never got into the expansions.

SalmonForSale

kiwifarms.net
Around Season 5 technically; I never actually got through the entire base game questline, as I kept getting held up on other stuff. I always meant to get back onto it, but I ended up leaving the game entirely around early 2021, when a number of GW2 players I had been talking with, including a friend I had made several years prior, started to shove a shit-ton of left-wing political crap into their playing, in response to the "Jan 6. Terrorist Attack"; I just dropped it after that.

If the political sperging isn't your thing I'll tell you now that Ukraine has not helped. I honestly only occasionally check in at this point. I don't play. It's all so tiresome.

Or the Roe v. Wade thing which the studio showed their support for.

Attachments

• Archive of image1.jpg
    Archive of image1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Walther Springfield

kiwifarms.net
If the political sperging isn't your thing I'll tell you now that Ukraine has not helped. I honestly only occasionally check in at this point. I don't play. It's all so tiresome.

Or the Roe v. Wade thing which the studio showed their support for.
Yeah. If there's one thing that I can't stand in video games, it's devs shoving in crappy politics, and a fanbase that cares more about wokeness than anything else.

Damned shame; was kinda looking forward to hopping back in with my Charr Necro. Ah, well.

Scanline

kiwifarms.net
I never understood the vitriol that gets spouted when it comes to "politics in games". I look at my favourite games/series ever and I find an endless sea of stories that are all about politics; Metal Gear, Ace Combat, Fallout, Final Fantasy VII, Mass Effect, Hitman, Deus Ex, GTA San Andreas, and so much more.

Those games wouldn't be anywhere near as good if they simply eradicated all the political elements from them. So what gives?

Car Won't Crank

My cars won't crank
kiwifarms.net
I never understood the vitriol that gets spouted when it comes to "politics in games". I look at my favourite games/series ever and I find an endless sea of stories that are all about politics; Metal Gear, Ace Combat, Fallout, Final Fantasy VII, Mass Effect, Hitman, Deus Ex, GTA San Andreas, and so much more.

Those games wouldn't be anywhere near as good if they simply eradicated all the political elements from them. So what gives?
Political intrigue that contributes to the plot, world building, character development is all good. I think the complaint is when current real life political hot topics bleed into the game studio that result in stuff like virtue signalling, diversity hires, that recent Insomniac games spergout to Sony and the general Anita Sarkeesian-ing of video games.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
They made a post on their new subreddit , steam kept disabling the accounts they used to download mods, devs contacted steam but no news yet , its probably dead.
technically it's still account sharing or a single account being used by more than one user, it's not surprising they're cracking down on that.

apparently HoT isn't that bad story wise, the zones are a definitive improvement, which they all threw out again in PoF for their dumb mount gimmick (I honestly don't get why people rave about it so much, it's clunky and basically poor man's metroid with "oh no, you need to have superjump to get into this area" etc.; constantly having to switch mounts sucks donkey dick and only is a thing so they can sell skins) and the story cratering even harder. if you played gw1 this is the point where you gonna flip the table, if diversity's edge didn't make you quit way earlier.

for non-pozzed MMOs you need to either go with asian autism (unless it gets ruined during "localization") or pick a smaller one that flies under the radar because it's not WoW/FF14/GW2 or <new hot thing> FOTM like new world. I'd recommend ESO, always was a better spiritual successor to gw1 anyway and the amount of "sjw-shit" is minimal to the point most people don't even notice it (and tbh I'd say it's actually done right, even the one trans character they put in at some point)

there's a difference between political themes and using a game as a soapbox with hamfisted writing and pandering you can see from a mile a way to the point it drags the whole game down.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Didactic real-world bullshit is antithetical to escapism, plus it makes it age like milk. Imagine how obnoxious and silly it'd be to play an old RPG from the 80s, and half the dialog seemed like the writer just found out Ronald Reagan was fucking his wife.

Fag Albert

kiwifarms.net

For those who don't know: Lots of people (important plot people) were gay and you're gonna find how gay they are and why and all sorts of 5W (and how) questions about their gayness. You've probably realized that will take time to narrate all that and that there's a main story and real character work that time would have been better spent on instead of showing off how gay these characters are.
My favorite has to be from the newest expansion pack. They made sure to tell you that this pirate captain was gay, even though he's been dead since 2013 and his only purpose in the story was to beassassinated. It's so painfully meeting a quota at that point, and it's a shame 'cause I don't even think the lesbian couple are that bad in terms of characters (when it comes to most of the other cast, at least)
Yeah. If there's one thing that I can't stand in video games, it's devs shoving in crappy politics, and a fanbase that cares more about wokeness than anything else.

Damned shame; was kinda looking forward to hopping back in with my Charr Necro. Ah, well.
FWIW the base story is still pretty solid, but I wouldn't do more than finish it up. As you've said, the community was (and still is) absolute politispergs.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
My favorite has to be from the newest expansion pack. They made sure to tell you that this pirate captain was gay, even though he's been dead since 2013 and his only purpose in the story was to beassassinated. It's so painfully meeting a quota at that point, and it's a shame 'cause I don't even think the lesbian couple are that bad in terms of characters (when it comes to most of the other cast, at least)
I hope the game gets a lore-friendly Dead And Gay Memorial Obelisk in a central place so no one can miss which characters are certified dead and gay.

Walther Springfield

kiwifarms.net
FWIW the base story is still pretty solid, but I wouldn't do more than finish it up. As you've said, the community was (and still is) absolute politispergs.
For what it's worth; when it comes to MMOs like this, I usually just end up skipping as many cutscenes as possible, as it helps me get into the action faster - I enjoy a good story, but when it drags on it gets frustrating. Looking at you, FFXIV.

Back on topic; are the expansions any good? I still only have the free base game - was going to hold off on picking up the expansions and playing them until I've beaten the main story - but the political sperging that the devs have been shoving into the game makes me think that they might be hot garbage. I'd love to play as a Reaper, but the cramming of Roe vs. Wade into the game is... a bit of a turn-off.

Professor G. Raff

As above, so below
kiwifarms.net
I’m pretty excited to play SNES games these upcoming weeks. To be honest, I need some break time from real life activities going on. (Not too much of a break of course, since I still have to work. :lol:)
Might be a bit of an odd recommendation, but if you like puzzle games (and I would hazard you might if you're a programmer, I find the mental space similar) I highly recommend Sutte Hakkun on Super Famicom for your multicart. It was my favorite puzzle game for a decade before it finally got matched (or surpassed?) by Baba is You. I've still never finished every puzzle as it gets brutal near the end. Give it a shot!

Tinfoil

kiwifarms.net
I'm wondering what games out there are worth playing, but theres so many out there. So I'm wondering if you guys can suggest some based on my top 9 1000+ played hour games. I've noticed largely I gravitate to games with replay-ability or no real ending.

neverwinter-nights-horde-of-the-underdark-button-crop-1643522763771.jpg

fallout_4.jpeg

The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_cover.png

Sid_Meier's_Pirates!_(2004)_Coverart.png

packshot-822784a1e8de82c20f922a14bcd4693f.jpg

Princess_Maker_2_Cover.jpg

Legend+of+Mana.jpg

Batman_Arkham_City_Game_Cover.jpg

dbs48m6-04c1c1f1-75ab-489a-8cd0-d4975ec4200e.png

Power Glove

Hackerman, the most powerful hacker of all time
kiwifarms.net
I'm wondering what games out there are worth playing, but theres so many out there. So I'm wondering if you guys can suggest some based on my top 9 1000+ played hour games. I've noticed largely I gravitate to games with replay-ability or no real ending.
Pillars of Eternity?

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 3297305

View attachment 3297304

View attachment 3297303

View attachment 3297302

View attachment 3297300

View attachment 3297299

View attachment 3297314

View attachment 3297323

View attachment 3297327
Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, TES III Morrowind, and TES IV Oblivion if you haven't played them.

Power Glove

Hackerman, the most powerful hacker of all time
kiwifarms.net
I wasn't a big fan of Baldurs Gate, due to it feeling more like a RTS with 6 units than a RPG
That's fair. Figured I'd give it a try. Have you tried Mad Max or any of the recent Assassin's Creed games? They are pretty decent open world games.