Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

• We've gotten t.me/kiwifarms set up for downtime announcements since Twitter doesn't allow us to have one.

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

broners

kiwifarms.net
I pondered while seeing news about No More Heroes 3 that a fair amount of games are still getting physical PS5 releases in Japan, despite them selling notoriously poorly and rarely making sales charts.

I wonder if they're just doing smaller print runs, if Sony has made printing cheaper to ease the burden, or if it's still a money sink for all involved and Sony is just pressuring publishers so the PS5 doesn't look dead in the water.

Tacitus Kilgore

kiwifarms.net
Does anyone remember the discounts during the Steam summer sales and winter sales getting better as the sale went on? I have heard people say that, but I don't know if it's true. I have heard the discounts got higher.

albert the programmer

Robert George Kardashian was the best Kardashian
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I haven’t played the PS1 in years but I’m hooking it up tomorrow in the afternoon. To be honest, though, I’ll just keep it predictable and play some Crash Bandit lot and call it a day.

There’s a strong chance that I might need to get a new memory card and controller combo since I don’t think both work too well.

Baraadmirer

🧬☠❤☠🧬
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone remember the discounts during the Steam summer sales and winter sales getting better as the sale went on? I have heard people say that, but I don't know if it's true. I have heard the discounts got higher.
I don't recall any changes in discount rates over the course of the sales.

Local Degenerate

kiwifarms.net
Video Game hot take: Shut the fuck up about 'never pre-order'.

It's stupid, and unless you commit and refuse to buy for another month or three, it's a fucking worthless gesture, done so you can jerk yourself off. And if you follow that up with 'well, I'm waiting for reviews to tell me if I like it or not.', that's just as bad.

If you buy a game day one, it's literally the fucking same as pre-ordering. If you buy a game week one, it's almost the same. Shut the fuck up, buy the game if you're going to, don't if you're not. You're not special, and you're not making a difference buying the game 12 hours later.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
I think people are just making shit up to troll people. It makes no sense to put a 25% discount on something and then the last few days of the sale increase the discount to 50%.
old steam sales had flash sales on top, so if you bought a game for 30% off it could suddenly be off 50% the next day for 24h. of course that either pissed people off and they wanted a refund (more work) or they waited till the last day and then maybe don't buy it at all (less money). valve moved away from flash sales a few years back. I think fanatic and gamesplanet still do them, although year round. not sure if they put them on halt during sales (to prevent the issues I mentioned).

these days the general rule of thumb is you can't mess with prices for 4 weeks/28 days (big steam sales being the exception) and only a certain amount:

as for sales, dunno why people are still so fixated on steam sales. isthereanydeal shows there's pretty much always a sale going on somewhere, sometimes even cheaper than steam. and ITAD doesn't even include unofficial keysites (and for the record, g2a is a market, not a keysite. same as ebay isn't amazon).

Blade Runner Enhanced Edition is coming out tomorrow. On Steam and consoles

seems to be shit tho. at least they didn't remove the original from gog so far, that's something. but I guess the target audience for that "remaster" were consoles anyway.

Last edited:

SandyCat

Send cat pics
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

It's stupid, and unless you commit and refuse to buy for another month or three, it's a fucking worthless gesture, done so you can jerk yourself off. And if you follow that up with 'well, I'm waiting for reviews to tell me if I like it or not.', that's just as bad.

If you buy a game day one, it's literally the fucking same as pre-ordering. If you buy a game week one, it's almost the same. Shut the fuck up, buy the game if you're going to, don't if you're not. You're not special, and you're not making a difference buying the game 12 hours later.
I respectfully disagree to an extent. I'm one of those people who don't pre-order but still buy stuff 1 to 3 days after launch but its only to see if the game is a absolute trash fire or not. For example I was looking forward to the latest Battlefield but I know EA has a history of releasing lemons so I waited to see what the game is actually like. Turns out it was shit and I saved myself $60 by not pre-ordering it, nor am I ever going to buy it in the future.

If I pre-ordered it like I was thinking about doing I would of been down $60 or would be down a lot of time dealing with their terrible customer support that was trying to deny refunds to people.

The Ugly One

kiwifarms.net
I've been playing Panzer Corps 2. Panzer Corps 1 was basically a remake of 1995's Panzer General and was overall a pretty faithful replication. Panzer Corp 2 is that + 3D Graphics + some new mechanics. It's mostly pretty good, and the new mechanics are mostly minor changes.

However, it appears that the game isn't capable of handling maps at the same scale the original Panzer General could. Consequently, the maps can get pretty cramped, and some of the later missions are only difficult because things quickly become crammed up against the edge of the map, giving you no room to maneuver into a good position to take objectives.

It's fine, but the last couple missions are a drag and not really worth finishing.

Local Degenerate

kiwifarms.net
I respectfully disagree to an extent. I'm one of those people who don't pre-order but still buy stuff 1 to 3 days after launch but its only to see if the game is a absolute trash fire or not. For example I was looking forward to the latest Battlefield but I know EA has a history of releasing lemons so I waited to see what the game is actually like. Turns out it was shit and I saved myself $60 by not pre-ordering it, nor am I ever going to buy it in the future.

If I pre-ordered it like I was thinking about doing I would of been down $60 or would be down a lot of time dealing with their terrible customer support that was trying to deny refunds to people.
True, but there's a difference between waiting a few days for technical concerns, and the people that say 'I'll wait until denthead youtuber 443 tells me if it's good.'

But my point is more for people who are just going to buy it day one anyways, then crow about 'never pre-order'. Take a game that you want to buy to support the series, say, Dragons Dogma 2. (For those who would bother playing that.) Players who are buying it for the sake of saying to capcom 'we want more of this', but also say 'never preorder' are just blindly following the herd because it sounds right.

See also blind brand loyalty, i.e. Me with FF7Rebirth.

I phrased it real fucked up, but fuck it, I was tired and on my way to get my teeth drilled.

Least Concern

Kill Count: π
kiwifarms.net

Where pre-ordering becomes unacceptable is when exclusive pre-order bonuses are involved, which you didn't seem to mention. Like if you pre-order you get access to special content that smarter people who waited for the reviews to come out can never play with. That shit's not cool. The idea of the "never pre-order" campaign is to discourage game publishers from pulling that sort of nonsense.

Local Degenerate

kiwifarms.net
Where pre-ordering becomes unacceptable is when exclusive pre-order bonuses are involved, which you didn't seem to mention. Like if you pre-order you get access to special content that smarter people who waited for the reviews to come out can never play with. That shit's not cool. The idea of the "never pre-order" campaign is to discourage game publishers from pulling that sort of nonsense.
Fair point, and well made. I kind of forget about that shit cus I legitimately don't care about it.

Though, to be fair, I doubt that's what that campaign is about now-a-days, even though I fully admit that's what it started as.

The Ugly One

kiwifarms.net

I don't understand why it's morally wrong to reward people who financially support a game early on, at the risk of it being crap. This is the entire business model for Kickstarter projects.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
I don't understand why it's morally wrong to reward people who financially support a game early on, at the risk of it being crap. This is the entire business model for Kickstarter projects.
At least give the option for the pre-order DLCs to be available for purchase at a later date, like a week or a month after the initial game release. In addition to what @Least Concern said, another problem lies with the fact the pre-order DLCs can be lost forever if nobody shares them through piracy.

I remember pre-order & first-print DLCs to be a real fucking plague on the Playstation Vita between Gust, Koei Tecmo, D3 Publisher, MAGES, Marvelous, Bandai Namco, Aquaplus, Squeenix, etc. Most of the time they were skins/costumes, sometimes weapons/items or, in rare worse cases, download codes for full-fledged games not available elsewhere. Japanese game companies love to pull that crap on their customers, and nearly anything I've imported (including used games) for this console had these flyers inside.

They calmed down quite a bit with the Switch in comparison, thankfully.

Attachments

• japanese preorders reeee.jpg
    japanese preorders reeee.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 43

Power Glove

Hackerman, the most powerful hacker of all time
kiwifarms.net
Extra content that has already been made, like extra mission(s), locked away as a pre-order bonus is unacceptable for me. Sadly, it still happens all the time. Going even beyond that were the pre-order tiers that certain games like Deus Ex (not sure which one it was) had is also unacceptable. Pre-order bonuses should always be something cosmetic, as a little extra for the people who wish to pre-order.

I don't understand pre-ordering a digital copy of a game, but if people want to pre-order a game, I'm not gonna hold it against them for doing so. Same thing for people who wish to wait, given the disasters we had in recent years, such as Cyberpunk 2077.

Tacitus Kilgore

kiwifarms.net
I bought a Switch in December of 2018. I bought two games as well Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. I bought them online from Best Buy. I followed the tracking every day and it says they were delivered. It took about 3-4 days. I go look out my front door and I don't see a box. I had seen some of the porch pirate videos on YouTube so I thought that's what happened. So I called Best Buys customer service number and told them that the tracking says my purchase was delivered but it's not at my front door. The Indian call center woman has me look all around my house. I check the front door, the basement door around the back and down at the mailbox.

I tell her I have not found it. She tells me they will ship another one out but I will have to sign for this one. About 3 days later I find a box at my front door with my Switch and 2 games in it. Then about week later I find another box at my front door from Best Buy. I didn't order anything from Best Buy I say to myself. I take it inside and open it up and inside is a Switch with 2 games. No, I didn't send that back to Best Buy I kept it. My idea was I would have a backup Switch incase my original ever dies. I stashed it away in a closet for a few months. But then after seeing that RDR1 was made backwards compatible on the Xbox One I decided I would trade the Switch in for an Xbox One S.

I went to GameStop and traded the Switch in. I can't remember how much I got it for it. But I only paid $25 for the Xbox One S and only $5 of that wasn't sales tax. I really only paid $5 for the One S. The GameStop employee tells me I can get a free game with my One S purchase. I thought about it for a few seconds and the only game I could think of was RDR2.

That's how I got Xbox One S for $5.