Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NotoriousD

Russian Birthday Bot
kiwifarms.net
Being a person who games far behind the times, I recently finished Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. I still have plenty of optional stuff to finish and upgrading literally everything because why not, but overall it was a great and fun game. In keeping with living under a literal fucking rock, I'm considering the Far Cry series next. The entire series, starting with 1.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
Is matchmaking anxiety real?

I spent 130 hours every 2 weeks on TF2 in my youth, yet now I can't make myself solo queue in any game. I came into beta DotA 2 from HoN, and solo mid'd every game and carried to win. Then I mucked about in practice for a few months as I had no interest, and just can't bring myself to play again.

Now I'm really into a new game; the aesthetic, the semi-niche-yet-popular nature, the feel and everything. Yet, can't bring myself to queue. I think up so many scenarios before "Play til I get bored or get gud". It's really puzzling.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
I'm working on a top down stealth game in my spare time because it's more productive than jerking off all day lol. I was wondering if you guys got any ideas for a stealth game you'd be willing to share.
What have you got so far gamewise? Other than topdown and stealth do you have a solid core(ideas/concepts/framework) that you want to add to or is it still loosely defined and open to change?

Here's my idea. How about an anti-stealth game? It's something I've been thinking about for the last couple of days.

Let me explain and maybe this can give you something to think about: I was reading an article explaining the purpose of a specific fighter jet, the JAS 39 Gripen. While built to fuck up the russians it's a modern aircraft that seems misplaced in a world with stealth aircraft and the ability to target planes beyond the horizon, because it's not a stealth fighter, not in any way. It's an anti-stealth fighter though and that probably sounds peculiar. What it's actually meant to do is electronic warfare, instead of hiding itself and preventing the enemy from knowing where the JAS is it fucks up every instrument and radar reading so the enemy don't even know where they are themselves, let alone where their enemy is, they're blind and unprepared.

Now, think about this, the classic spec-ops stealth scene from movies: bad guys in a house, spec-ops cut the power, it goes dark, they quietly go in with night-vision goggles and fuck everyone up with suppressed guns and the bad guys don't know what's happening and can't see anything.

Turning the scene above on its head with anti-stealth: spec-ops is in a dark house with night-vision goggles. The player busts in and lights them up, with lighting them up I mean the place suddenly becomes the opposite of dark and quiet, it becomes like a German rave with strobe lights and ear piercing euro-techno, not literally of course but it's a form of electronic warfare, vision and hearing is no longer reliable sources of information because there's just too much of it. My thought is that stealth can come from being loud and I'm not really talking about sound, it could probably work as well as shadows while still being dynamic and player controlled. If there's suddenly too much to see the player can hide in the details and if the player can influence what is seen(scene!), in Kojima speak, then it might be interesting.

Or watch Blind Fury and see if you get any ideas, it's a fun movie.

I envy you. Take a minute to enjoy the scenery, the graphics were ridonkulously good for 2004.
It really does not hold up. It was amazing in its day but it is meant to be run at a lower resolution, running it these days the terrain and trees looks ugly as fuck. Not that far out they replace the polygonal trees and brush with impostors and it looks ridiculous today, especially at a higher resolution. It's like looking straight down at the scalp of someone with old hair plugs. The gameplay is fucked as well by the standards of today, it's a very F5 game because you can get jacked at any time.

Last edited:

DeathStork

kiwifarms.net
What have you got so far gamewise? Other than topdown and stealth do you have a solid core(ideas/concepts/framework) that you want to add to or is it still loosely defined and open to change?
One of my main mechanics is a Heat system; All guns draw from the same ammo pool of "Heat" which cools down over time. The stealthier and non-lethal weapons take less heat while the more damaging but louder weapons have more heat.

Lilac1

kiwifarms.net
It really does not hold up. It was amazing in its day but it is meant to be run at a lower resolution, running it these days the terrain and trees looks ugly as fuck. Not that far out they replace the polygonal trees and brush with impostors and it looks ridiculous today, especially at a higher resolution. It's like looking straight down at the scalp of someone with old hair plugs. The gameplay is fucked as well by the standards of today, it's a very F5 game because you can get jacked at any time.
It holds up if you keep in mind what time it came out. Here's another 2004 game for comparison, red dead revolver:

VS far cry:

Of course it doesn't bear scrutiny against the sequels, but why would it?

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
One of my main mechanics is a Heat system; All guns draw from the same ammo pool of "Heat" which cools down over time. The stealthier and non-lethal weapons take less heat while the more damaging but louder weapons have more heat.
Oh, neat. Is it like general mana/magic or are there any environmental factors affecting heat buildup/cool down? Like standing in a blizzard versus vs crouching behind a furnace, or being submerged in water instead of letting air transport the heat away?

If you haven't played it maybe take a look at Mark of the Ninja, a 2d side-scrolling stealth game that did a lot of things right to keep the pace up and the player aware of exactly what was going on. It had good systems that replaced the "OH FOR FUCKS SAKE" of many stealth games with "oops, my bad", rarely did it feel like the game was fucking you over or was unfair. In a top down game I would play around with the idea that if the player, who is at the center of the screen, can't see an enemy then the enemy can't see the player from outside of the visible screen or something like that(indicators of some kind, vision cones?) to make things more fair. Maybe that doesn't work but it's always annoying getting spotted without knowing how or why it happened.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
I'm looking for a game following the MMO formular: Tank, dps, healer. Pillars of Eternity and Divinity follow these, but they're also ball-bustingly hard. Apparently any kind of D&D resemblance also means tough as shit, because only cool kids get to enjoy dungeons and beholders.

Anyway, any game on Steam like this that isn't insanely hard? Pathfinder: Kingmaker looks decent but only heard negatively about it.

TrippinKahlua

From RC Enthusiast to T-Shirt Brand.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cuphead is coming to Switch. That's great because Microsoft is just horrible with gaming nowadays.

griefsquirrel

kiwifarms.net
Is it just me getting old or have all the new games this supershiny veneer but feel.. soulless? Everything seems so generic. I haven't played videogames in a few years because of lots of life happening and now that I return I can't really find anything that draws me in for a long time which I didn't already know before. You'd think there'd be more good games with the mass of games that is but I still keep replaying games I already played years ago.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Is it just me getting old or have all the new games this supershiny veneer but feel.. soulless? Everything seems so generic. I haven't played videogames in a few years because of lots of life happening and now that I return I can't really find anything that draws me in for a long time which I didn't already know before. You'd think there'd be more good games with the mass of games that is but I still keep replaying games I already played years ago.
It seems like it, the new consoles have a massive amount of rendering power compared to their ability to process game logic and run the actual "game" part of the game. Current games seems to be largely the same as the previous generation just shinier, consoles being a huge market also means that they are the foundation for development and the CPU is really putting limits on things. I have always been console-centric but I have never felt an interest in buying a PS4/XB1, my crummy CPU can easily handle ports if I want to play a game.

It's not that current games are bad, there is just nothing new about them, they're just more cinematic.

Thiletonomics

도널드 트럼프 승리의 소금.
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: shartshooter

Foxxo

OH LAWD HE COMING
kiwifarms.net
It holds up if you keep in mind what time it came out. Here's another 2004 game for comparison, red dead revolver:

VS far cry:

Of course it doesn't bear scrutiny against the sequels, but why would it?
Holy hell, is that RDR screenshot real? You had definition scaling back in 2002 with Super Mario Sunshine.

Qi Meng Dealer

kiwifarms.net
I think with the huge budgets AAA studios spend into their games, their designers are more hesitant to push the envelope with new ideas and risk putting out a flop instead of just playing it safe with what is already proven to at least sell among gamers, even if it's not ultimately memorable.

The indie scene is really where you'll find a lot of innovation nowadays, but they're also limited in what they can do, owing to budget constraints.

That said, the AAA scene isn't that devoid of quality releases, maybe just not as many as you expect there to be. From the past two years, RDR2 is great, as well as Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. Spider-man and Monster Hunter World were also great experiences in my opinion. Your mileage may vary, though, so I understand if none of those manages to hold your attention, I can respect that.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino