Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Compound Buster

My back hurts
kiwifarms.net
Something I've wondered for a while: Are there any games on Steam that are just straight-up ROMs with built-in emulators, other than DOSBOX? Like, I know Battle.net does that, they distributed Rock 'n' Roll Racing with ZSNES, but that's a free extra on there. But are there any games actually sold on Steam that you could just pluck the rom out of and run in whatever emulator? Or do they have rules against that?
I doubt it, besides the DOS games you mentioned like BLOOD etc. Maybe GOG does it?

Pissmaster General

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why, arr yoo trying someding illegal? Because online illegalness is illegal. Would you pirate a car?
Just curious, since there are a lot of homebrew games sold on actual cartridges out there you can buy, and Steam seems like it'd be the best way to sell those to a wider audience. Just rig up a libretro emulator to boot the game without a frontend, and voila, instant PC version.

I'm not counting retro collections like Sega Genesis Classics or Atari Vault either, since they're obviously selling old games, and those are always just collections of roms in a fancy frontend.

I doubt it, besides the DOS games you mentioned like BLOOD etc. Maybe GOG does it?
That's entirely possible, though I don't know of any they sell that I could check. I know that some of the Wisdom Tree games are on Steam (those NES Bible games), though those are all the (bad) DOS versions. Another game I checked was Coffee Crisis, sold on a Genesis cart, though the developer said the PC version was built from the ground up.

AsbestosFlaygon

Crop your god forsaken avatar, or I'll rape you.
kiwifarms.net
Just curious, since there are a lot of homebrew games sold on actual cartridges out there you can buy, and Steam seems like it'd be the best way to sell those to a wider audience. Just rig up a libretro emulator to boot the game without a frontend, and voila, instant PC version.
If someone's making homebrew shit on dead consoles they're probably not the type that's worrying about mass market appeal to be honest. That aside the big problem with using emulators is that licencing for them often doesn't allow for commercial use, so they're not really an option unless you can develop your own. Another problem that exist's that they require considerably more power than a direct port would, so it really wouldn't make sense unless you really wanted to port it and had no other choice.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
I'm still not sure why most people don't just put the rom file on itch or gumroad as well as the cartridge option

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
Oh wow. Diablo 4 is actually an ARP, not an fps. It looks okay, but the cinematic just, ruined any ties to the previous games. Good fucking job, cucks.

Bye black man.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net

I'm not counting retro collections like Sega Genesis Classics or Atari Vault either, since they're obviously selling old games, and those are always just collections of roms in a fancy frontend.
Piko Interactive have been buying old unreleased games for old consoles and such then selling them on steam after finishing them up, there's probably some homebrew as well.

The thing that made me take notice of Piko was Dorke & Ymp, I hadn't heard anything about that game in over 20 years, it was long dead. The game was originally being developed by two Swedish guys, in a cellar in Stockholm's old town, for the SNES back in 1993 or around that time. They had created their own devkit and tools because they were indies and back then there were heavy restrictions and requirements on who could get one, especially from Nintendo. No poors allowed.

Argonaut did a similar thing and I think the Excitebike 64 devs might have had a similar journey where they hacked something together without a devkit, but for Dorke & Ymp it didn't go anywhere and it was a bummer. It was not that the game looked great, it looked Amiga as hell because they were Amiga guys, but they were local talent with an interesting story and as a kid I was rooting for them.

dspike

Schizo Studier
kiwifarms.net
Man, Modern Warfare is more fun than I expected. While the campaign is pretty obviously sympathetic to the Kurds and white helmets, it was very well written and executed. Also the multiplayer is exciting and fun as long as you stay the hell away from the 64 player game mode and stick to smaller team game modes or hardcore ones. Everyone irl I know refuses to buy the game because "muh cawwadooty bad" meme that they have spouted since MW2 so I decided to rant about it here.

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
So this is a stupid question, but is there anywhere I can go to find high quality files of G4's cinematech? The best I can find are on youtube but I'm just wondering if there's anywhere else that I can find them.

Syaoran Li

The Weeaboo Woodwright
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this should go here or in the Culture Wars thread, but I've been pondering something.

Do you think we'll see a video game equivalent of the recent Joker movie?

As in, a game that pretty much goes against the norm and is preemptively hated by the SJW crowd to the point that they launch a massive smear campaign against it, but despite the odds, ends up being a massive success?

I think Cyberpunk 2077 might still have the potential to pull that off, but I'm less optimistic about that game than I was a few months ago.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Just set up MAME so now I can play Fantasy Zone, it's awesome sequel (The 2000's System 16C version not the bummy original) and as many booby arcade games where the woman turns into an unlicenced appearance of a popular horror character if you run out of time as I like!

Not sure if this should go here or in the Culture Wars thread, but I've been pondering something.

Do you think we'll see a video game equivalent of the recent Joker movie?

As in, a game that pretty much goes against the norm and is preemptively hated by the SJW crowd to the point that they launch a massive smear campaign against it, but despite the odds, ends up being a massive success?

I think Cyberpunk 2077 might still have the potential to pull that off, but I'm less optimistic about that game than I was a few months ago.
Mordhau, Bombshell, Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I could go on.

There hasn't been a real "fuck you" game yet though...

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone having trouble updating their ps4 to 7.00? I can't sign in for some reason but everything's above board.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
The NCR are the worst faction in Fallout New Vegas and I always go for either Independent Vegas or Caesar's Legion.
Agreed on NCR, they had that fart huffing hubris where they saw themselves as the good guys and they would always be the good guys meaning that they would be able to commit atrocities and shrug it off, because they are the good guys so what they did could not have been an evil act. Caesar's Legion were upfront about who they were and what they were up to, as fucked up as it was, and as a player it was easy to understand what their goals were, how it would be accomplished and know with great certainty what the region would look like under them. Do I want that or do I not want that, it was more clear cut. With the NCR it seemed to be more bickering, bureaucracy and bullshit, whatever they wished to do seemed like it could collapse from within because of politics and it would leave people fucked. The Legion were at least stable.

So I went with independent New Vegas because I can't play bad/evil characters. I can say nigger and call arabs scum on the internet but being mean in a single-player video game is deeply uncomfortable. I always appreciate the choice though.

Pissmaster General

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Agreed on NCR, they had that fart huffing hubris where they saw themselves as the good guys and they would always be the good guys meaning that they would be able to commit atrocities and shrug it off, because they are the good guys so what they did could not have been an evil act. Caesar's Legion were upfront about who they were and what they were up to, as fucked up as it was, and as a player it was easy to understand what their goals were, how it would be accomplished and know with great certainty what the region would look like under them. Do I want that or do I not want that, it was more clear cut. With the NCR it seemed to be more bickering, bureaucracy and bullshit, whatever they wished to do seemed like it could collapse from within because of politics and it would leave people fucked. The Legion were at least stable.

So I went with independent New Vegas because I can't play bad/evil characters. I can say nigger and call arabs scum on the internet but being mean in a single-player video game is deeply uncomfortable. I always appreciate the choice though.
Yeah, I never once considered siding with the NCR, though I've tried to side with The Legion a couple of times, only to get sidetracked. The game seems to really wanna funnel you towards making an independent New Vegas.

You've got the platinum chip, now do you want to hand it over to a ruler with an iron fist who confiscated your weaponry on arrival that could have you killed with a snap of his fingers, or do you wanna go about your merry way, install it into Mr. House's army of securitrons, and make New Vegas great again on your own? Hmm. 🤔

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino