Video Game Chat Thread - Pre-Alpha Experimental Version

Are videogames for children?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
There's a translation patch for GiFTPiA, most people missed that one. It was made by the chibi-robo developers.
The intro is fantastic(timestamped at 4 minutes) and the music is very unique, just like the game itself. It's not really a jRPG though.

Square's "Treasures of the Rudras" is translated as well. It's good and looks very much like Final Fantasy 6.
rudras1.png
rudras2.jpg

Treasure Hunter G is another good one from Square, I don't remember exactly what it was that I liked but I think it was the battle system. It's a different spin on the usual formula but without it getting Chrono Cross complicated.

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
While I know nobody here really plays Nancy Drew, and I'll probably get a few Autistic ratings for this, but...
I feel like Midnight in Salem isn't one of the better ones? But at the same time, it's not one of the absolute worst. Very dialogue heavy, and not enough puzzles would be my main complaint. It just feels... short, for what it costs. At least it's not Ransom of the Seven Ships, which was the worst one out of the ones I've played. I've also heard that Creature of Kapu Cave is really bad, but I haven't played it yet.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
While I know nobody here really plays Nancy Drew, and I'll probably get a few Autistic ratings for this, but...
I feel like Midnight in Salem isn't one of the better ones? But at the same time, it's not one of the absolute worst. Very dialogue heavy, and not enough puzzles would be my main complaint. It just feels... short, for what it costs. At least it's not Ransom of the Seven Ships, which was the worst one out of the ones I've played. I've also heard that Creature of Kapu Cave is really bad, but I haven't played it yet.
Kotaku actually had a decent article about the Nancy Drew games, "The Case of the Disappearing Nancy Drew Video Games". Shocking, I know.

An adjacent game(girl games or as they also can be called, "games sold in bookstores") would be The Legacy of Rosemond Hill, a well regarded horse training mystery adventure, made by DICE pre-Battlefield. I've been curious about that one but the ripped and cracked versions available on the internet all have trojans in them.

Safir

The woman from Snowy River
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Starjew Valley. Is it good or is it just another instance of soyboys badly ripping off an old game (In this case Harvest Moon) but adding funny anime references and woke talking points?
Also I know giving chucklefuck my money is a bad idea after all the shit I heard about from starbound.
Stardew Valley is a solid and satisfying game. It's made by ConcernedApe and only published by chucklefucks (which is to say, the chucklefuck link matters when deciding to pay but shouldn't matter for quality).

It can be played casually or for a points victory in two in-game years; the latter is not extremely difficult but requires planning. When I last played it (2 IRL years ago), the only Current Year thing in it was the developer's name ("ConcernedApe" is concerned about global warming). The closest the game itself got to politics was "Dad has gone to war and I miss him" (the enemy is implied to be the Japs). No one is genderspecial and there are no fags or dykes unless you play one. One "dangerhair" is a goth, one is a hippie, one is just an animu character. It's all very 90s.

Space Lobster Bat

Only Weakness: Boiling Water
kiwifarms.net
Stardew Valley is a solid and satisfying game. It's made by ConcernedApe and only published by chucklefucks (which is to say, the chucklefuck link matters when deciding to pay but shouldn't matter for quality).

It can be played casually or for a points victory in two in-game years; the latter is not extremely difficult but requires planning. When I last played it (2 IRL years ago), the only Current Year thing in it was the developer's name ("ConcernedApe" is concerned about global warming). The closest the game itself got to politics was "Dad has gone to war and I miss him" (the enemy is implied to be the Japs). No one is genderspecial and there are no fags or dykes unless you play one. One "dangerhair" is a goth, one is a hippie, one is just an animu character. It's all very 90s.
Seconding the like for Stardew valley. It's very much 'I want to get away from the normal drudge of stuff' so there's not really any politics or anything that brings real world issues into the game. It very much feels like an isolated farming town, and can be fairly relaxing to play. When the multiplayer came out too, I just laughed and went 'why... why multiplayer??' Then I tried it, it makes a very different experience because you can have people focus on different skills (so if you don't like fishing, for example, you can have the other person do it), so it's worth playing both single and multi-player.

Also, ConcernedApe broke off from Chucklefish last year IIRC, so there's no worry about that either.

• Informative
Reactions: Safir

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
Seconding the like for Stardew valley. It's very much 'I want to get away from the normal drudge of stuff' so there's not really any politics or anything that brings real world issues into the game. It very much feels like an isolated farming town, and can be fairly relaxing to play. When the multiplayer came out too, I just laughed and went 'why... why multiplayer??' Then I tried it, it makes a very different experience because you can have people focus on different skills (so if you don't like fishing, for example, you can have the other person do it), so it's worth playing both single and multi-player.

Also, ConcernedApe broke off from Chucklefish last year IIRC, so there's no worry about that either.
Thirding this. Only skill that's a royal pain in the ass at first is fishing, but I found a tip somewhere that says to fish in the hidden forest until about level 2 or 3, though if I remember correctly you have to have a certain level of foraging to get a good enough axe upgrade to unlock it. I find the game especially relaxing because it gives me a routine and a goal to work towards (such as the community center or joja corp). I just wish it gave us the ability to discover alternate recipes through experimentation, a la Tale of Two Towns, my first Harvest Moon game.

Love_Machine011

The Agent of Saint Valentine.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This just popped into my head while rewatching the elden ring trailer.

I think the "Elden Ring" is their sun being in a permanent solar eclipse. Their sun is so intense, that enough energy hits their planet to allow life to thrive anyway. However, in the time the game will take place, whatever was in front of their sun has broken. This would make it look like the ring of light (that is their sun) has shattered. This causes more energy from this hyper intense sun to leak through, which would plunge the world into chaos obviously. Perhaps even causing some to catch on fire in certain spots were the leak through is intense. Whatever the smith was forging is an item(probably a ring) linked to the sun which will probably play on a main mechanic or story of the game of you trying to reform the thing causing the eclipse through magic.
I think I got it.
and here is my crazy part of the theory. What was causing the eclipse was actually an egg that has begun to hatch, which will be our final boss.

DarkWeenix

The Autist formerly known as MemeGray
kiwifarms.net
Years ago I bought the Surge, it was a lot of fun until the game crashed on the final boss. Years later I buy the Surge 2 its a lot of fun but also keeps crashing, It sucks that such a good idea for a game is ruined by the design. I am leaving this comment mostly to come back to and vent in if this game also crashes on the last boss.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Zamzz

kewl cat
kiwifarms.net
Yo can someone tell me why No Man's Sky flopped? I know I'm a bit late to the party but I've been wanting to ask, google just gives me mixed answers, idk what to believe anymore

ZehnBoat

fromm
kiwifarms.net
Yo can someone tell me why No Man's Sky flopped? I know I'm a bit late to the party but I've been wanting to ask, google just gives me mixed answers, idk what to believe anymore
because when it was first released it was a buggy mess that failed to live up to expectations

internet historian has a great video about it
from it's initial failings to it's redemption

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Looks like someone finally fan-translated the first Sakura Wars title for the Sega Saturn.

Zan

kiwifarms.net
My oldest nephew's 7th birthday is coming up and ever since we watched the Broly movie together he's starting getting into Dragonball so I want to get him a video game. What do you think would be better for a 7 year old boy: Fighter Z or Xenoverse 2? He and his little brother share a switch.

The 8 of Spades

Knows Where Peter Popoff's Miracle Spring Is.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I picked up Battlefield 1 on the holiday sale and I'm actually having a lot of fun with it. Servers are busy enough to catch games still and it's reminding me of 1942 enough that I'm enjoying it. Who the fuck wants to play in the modern era, give me mustard gas bombs any day.

ETA: other than the metal gear hd collection, Is there anything else worth getting PS now for?

Reactions: lemmiwinks
Tags
None