Video Game Idea Thread -

Payday

Jenny! #Payday #RocketLauncher
kiwifarms.net
So I'm not sure how well this thread will fly but I guess it's worth a shot. Basically its a thread where you post ideas for video games you've had. They could be next to impossible or makeable. I'd really be interested in hearing ideas from other people.

So the idea I have is a simulation of mental disorders. I'm not entirely sure how it'd be done but it would be kind of interesting to get a better way to see how schizophrenic act or something like that. I understand that actually having to go through this kind of stuff is in no way comparable to what a simulation would do but it would be interesting in my opinion .

José Mourinho

The Special One
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Digimon Rumble Arena: Remastered? For some reason, this goes to my head.

Pikonic

Don’t worry about the mask I’m vaccinated
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I used to joke about Zelda Racing, like Mariocart, but with Zelda characters on horses throwing bombs.

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Debating, The game.
A friend and I discussed the gameplay.
basically, you're a new kid at some school and you join the debate club.
the game would play like ace attorney and would debate on "X" subject. Depending on who's on your team and their konwledge/skill on the subject, your level exp and charisma you'd have to come up with the best arguement/counter arguement in the debate.
just make sure what your saying has the least contradictions or logical fallacies.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I was a part of an indie development game. The idea that we all went with was a 3D platformer in the vein of Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot. The main character was going to be a robot who could latch onto enemies and steal their attacks, and it would have hub worlds and take place in a surrealistic environment.

Then we rebooted the project like 3 times. I left after they decided to restructure management and now they're going with something completely different and more artsy. Something I have literally no interest in.

From what I've heard the project is going a lot faster and a lot smoother than when I was head so it's probably an indication of my ideas being shitty. I personally think that it had more to do with our only animator leaving the project and suddenly becoming the lead developer after I left. Do I suspect the project is going to be successful? Probably I dunno, lots of artsy indie games make shittons of money just due to being artsy so I suppose there's that marketability to such projects.

exball

He's fat! Iiiiii'm thin!
kiwifarms.net
Oglooger said:
Debating, The game.
A friend and I discussed the gameplay.
basically, you're a new kid at some school and you join the debate club.
the game would play like ace attorney and would debate on "X" subject. Depending on who's on your team and their konwledge/skill on the subject, your level exp and charisma you'd have to come up with the best arguement/counter arguement in the debate.
just make sure what your saying has the least contradictions or logical fallacies.

I'd play it.

José Mourinho

The Special One
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pikonic said:
I used to joke about Zelda Racing, like Mariocart, but with Zelda characters on horses throwing bombs.

How about a racing game with Nintendo characters, similar to what SEGA did with their All-Stars Racing?

Oglooger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
currently, a friend and I are trying to develop a fighting game featuring political leaders and war generals of history.
either we make the game from scratch or we're going to mod M.U.G.E.N. like everyone else is.

Smokedaddy

Finer than frogs' hair
Deceased
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Oglooger said:

Hardware requirements: IBM's Watson supercomputer or similar CPU, your own local-hosted Google-equivalent database, 32 terabytes RAM, 100 petabyte hard drive, the research divisions of several major universities. Supports Intel on-chip graphics.

Release date: Early 2nd quarter 2210, or whenever a computer can recognize logical contradictions and fallacies. (Mr. Godel would like to have a word with you about that.)

Gameplay question: What is a the least legal contradiction, and how do you get all of them? The way it's worded, I take it that one side must have them all to win, so is there a gameplay mechanism to take one of your opponents' least legal contradictions? Or did you mean the winning side has the most least legal contradictions and the loser has the fewest least legal contradictions when the game ends? Is it a mistrial or tie when both sides have the same number of least legal contradictions? (I'm just pulling your chain, good Og, I know what you meant. "Least" is not the word you wanted.)

But seriously folks, the person who writes a computer program able to parse text and find logical fallacies (etc.) will get awarded doctorates by more universities than they have fingers, and their name will go in the history books (not to mention textbooks), up there with people like Turing, Einstein, Gauss, Godel, Newton, Galileo, and Da Vinci. It's a fairly huge problem that get huger the closer you look.

Oglooger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was imagining more a very, very detailed Visual Novel where any decision you make will affect the game.
but your idea of having an AI that can detect a logical fallacy is pretty amusing.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oglooger said:
I was imagining more a very, very detailed Visual Novel where any decision you make will affect the game.
but your idea of having an AI that can detect a logical fallacy is pretty amusing.

The problem is if you make it too hard and or don't spell it out enough the player just gets frustrated and stops playing. Or finds himself resorting to looking for an online walkthrough. And Pheonix Wright just boils it down to asking someone questions and presenting evidence. (and shouting Objection)

Even Pheonix Wright has problems with this. Where the only possible way to get through something is to press a witness as many times as possible til he finally spills something. Or press til your opponent senses your stalling and switches to a different witness.

There are a lot of logical problems once you associate something like a story to a video game where you uncover things in what people say. And even if you did get a proper mix down the end result might be that the game might play like shit.

Smokedaddy

Finer than frogs' hair
Deceased
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It strikes me as being either a set of multiple-choice answers to predetermined questions, or something that can parse your logic.

The first option quickly becomes a matter of playing until you've seen it all, and when someone's already seen the scenario, they win. An enormous number of predetermined scenarios is necessary, and it'd be hard not to degenerate into a "guess what I'm thinking" game. "It's presenting me with five choices for my response. Which does not involve a fallacy?"

I'm so totally not meaning to rain on your parade / dissmiss your idea lightly. Other people are paid to do that. Pretend I'm the asshole with the power to bankroll your effort, or not: now talk me into it. Question One is "How does this work?"

O

OR 345

kiwifarms.net
Somewhat related, I thought of a game that used a simple numerical value system to determine game events/shit like that. Character does X, a corresponding hidden value increases or decreases depending on the lack of/action. Event happens, game checks appropriate values and does a different thing depending on said values (or doesn't happen at all). It would also be affected by previous events and decisions. It wouldn't be a roguelike, but there would still be a lot of possible different playthroughs. It sounds doable enough in theory, I guess, but I have no idea how something like that would run. There would have to be tons of options available, and that sounds like it'd just bog down the game.
That, and I'm still in the baby stage of programming, can't draw/animate/write/compose worth shit, and have no idea what really goes into making bideo james. *yawn*

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
God said:
Somewhat related, I thought of a game that used a simple numerical value system to determine game events/shit like that. Character does X, a corresponding hidden value increases or decreases depending on the lack of/action. Event happens, game checks appropriate values and does a different thing depending on said values (or doesn't happen at all). It would also be affected by previous events and decisions. It wouldn't be a roguelike, but there would still be a lot of possible different playthroughs. It sounds doable enough in theory, I guess, but I have no idea how something like that would run. There would have to be tons of options available, and that sounds like it'd just bog down the game.
That, and I'm still in the baby stage of programming, can't draw/animate/write/compose worth shit, and have no idea what really goes into making bideo james. *yawn*

The problem with that sort of design is it's extremely prone to glitches and bugs.

In game design probably 60% of your ideas are going to get implemented (and that's on a good project where you're the producer). Of those 60%, most will glitch or be ideas the player just glosses over. Then you have to decide which bugged events or decisions get cut and which have to get cut because the player just never encounters them. Then you'll find out your game has basically the same amount of decisions as something like... Fable.

It's a big reason why Bethesda games are so overly buggy. They start out with trying to one-up the previous game in almost every single capacity, but due to realistic project goals they have to considerably cut most of their ideas. Bethesda has more money than God and it's a big reason why every game they put out is ridiculously buggy at launch. Due to the vast amount of glitchy code that would take double the amount of dev time to rework in order to work bug free.

We live in the age of patches where you can launch a buggy game and it'll be fine. But 10 or so years ago when Kotor 2 launched, if half the game was buggy you cut it. Morrowind was originally going to be the entire province rather than just a small island, and it has mostly to do with just the scope and limitations of the project and time.

There is a very good argument for designing modifications rather than entire games. Because you're instead modifying an existing project that already has a solid foundation, and you can really only go up from there. It's a big reason why I stick to mods rather than indie development. The only downside is unless your working with a project that has had it's source code released (IE: Doom or Quake) you run into huge limitations while editing the software and have to work around them.

O

OR 345

kiwifarms.net
That too. Even if it's possible to work out all the glitches, it'd take too much time to make it worthwhile, and one person isn't going to get everything anyway.

TastyWoodenBadge

My wooden badge was delicious
kiwifarms.net
Alan Pardew said:
Pikonic said:

How about a racing game with Nintendo characters, similar to what SEGA did with their All-Stars Racing?

Super Smash Kart?

Guardian G.I.

СНГ scum
kiwifarms.net
Inverted Call of Duty Modern Warfare: you are a member of a Russian commando team travelling around the world thwarting sinister plans of aggressive American warmongers, and later on defending Russia from an American invasion.
Such a game will sell well in Russia, but will piss off a lot of Americans, especially if the degree of stereotyping of Americans will be just as high as the usual degree of stereotyping Russians in the Western media.

Mauvman Shuffleboard

Space Friend of the People
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. The Game or really any game where you play a superhero with shitty superpowers and have to find ways to make them actually helpful.

Guardian G.I.

СНГ scum
kiwifarms.net
Mauvman Shuffleboard said:
Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. The Game or really any game where you play a superhero with shitty superpowers and have to find ways to make them actually helpful.

Freedom Force real-time tactics games were somewhat similar to this.