Video game mods -

Smaug's Smokey Hole

dragron: the bruges tea soirée
kiwifarms.net
Quake 1 had so many, many mods. So much weird shit, weird ideas and weird gameplay concepts, Team Fortress is well known and NAVY Quake sort-of became Counter-Strike. I especially remember one multiplayer mod that had a horror/slasher movie premise, sort of like newer asymmetrical games like Dead by Daylight or Friday the 13th or maybe even Evolve.

It was set in an old house in the woods, it used default Quake assets and textures but that worked fine. One player controlled the monster, which was a shambler and at the press of a button the shambler could shrink down to the size of a mouse. This was necessary because there were mouse holes between rooms and paths only accessible to the shambler, that was how the player snuck around before running up behind someone then going full size to surprise-maul them. It was unnerving to see a huge monster just exploding in size behind someone, with the sound that the monster makes returning as well.

Future vs Fantasy was pretty cool but also crap.

Reactions: BrunoMattei

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Only if you're a faggot. I typically don't like fixating on Brutal Doom anyway, as there are too many mods overshadowed by it.

Besides...
Project Brutality > Brutal Doom
Brutality goes a little too far and just has too much shit going on. Brutal Doom hits that neutral ground and it's still basically Doom. It's a pity that the guy who created Brutal Doom is a fucktard.

But yeah, Doom is pretty much the king of mods.

Quake 1 had so many, many mods. So much weird shit, weird ideas and weird gameplay concepts, Team Fortress is well known and NAVY Quake sort-of became Counter-Strike. I especially remember one multiplayer mod that had a horror/slasher movie premise, sort of like newer asymmetrical games like Dead by Daylight or Friday the 13th or maybe even Evolve.

It was set in an old house in the woods, it used default Quake assets and textures but that worked fine. One player controlled the monster, which was a shambler and at the press of a button the shambler could shrink down to the size of a mouse. This was necessary because there were mouse holes between rooms and paths only accessible to the shambler, that was how the player snuck around before running up behind someone then going full size to surprise-maul them. It was unnerving to see a huge monster just exploding in size behind someone, with the sound that the monster makes returning as well.

For some reason, I never got into Doom mods back when I bought Doom 2 on Windows 95. Probably because I couldn't get the damn thing to run. But when I bought Half-Life for $20 I played the shit out of every mod especially They Hunger 1 and 2 and some Western mod that I forget the name of. Best $20 I ever spent in my life.

Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

ValetinedeletesGyro

Another anime autist
kiwifarms.net
It's a pity that the guy who created Brutal Doom is a fucktard.
What's wrong with SGTMark IV besides being an edgelord? I know he triggered people by criticizing Nu Doom but other than that he's your typical edgy faggot.
Great TC that is still supported due the sheer autism of the Sonic fanbase.
Pirate Doom
A great mod that mostly keeps to vanilla Doom pacing.

No creativity

kiwifarms.net
If Ordinator isn't your thing, SPERG is a decent substitute, as it streamlines a lot of the filler perks, adds a lot of cool new features, and makes perk trees you wouldn't touch before worth it, as some benefit the effects of other perk trees.

Some say it a bit OP and Ordinator is more balanced though.
SPERG will make you real strong real fast, Ordinator will make you incredibly overpowered in the later levels with the right build. I don't really see it as a problem though, once you start modding Skyrim you're in charge of balancing your own game. ASIS to increase enemy spawns is a must have for me, and so is Revenge of the Enemies.

As for recommendations: Legacy of the Dragonborn, VIGILANT, Clockwork and Project AHO are all bitching quest mods of the highest order.
I'd add Wheels of Lull and Forgotten City to the list of great quest mods.
If you like huge and challenging* dungeons I would also suggest giving Skyrim Underground a try.

*depending on your character and mod setup

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
SPERG will make you real strong real fast, Ordinator will make you incredibly overpowered in the later levels with the right build. I don't really see it as a problem though, once you start modding Skyrim you're in charge of balancing your own game. ASIS to increase enemy spawns is a must have for me, and so is Revenge of the Enemies.

I'd add Wheels of Lull and Forgotten City to the list of great quest mods.
If you like huge and challenging* dungeons I would also suggest giving Skyrim Underground a try.

*depending on your character and mod setup
Pro-tip: If you go batshit modding Fallout 4/Skyrim SE, get the latest xEdit program and try to ESL flag as many plugins as possible (patches, plugins that aren't a master of anything, and anything that will accept an ESL flag without compacting records).

This shoves those mods in the ESL modspace, which can support 4096 plugin files, as opposed to the regular 255 plugin limit.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What's wrong with SGTMark IV besides being an edgelord? I know he triggered people by criticizing Nu Doom but other than that he's your typical edgy faggot.

Great TC that is still supported due the sheer autism of the Sonic fanbase.

A great mod that mostly keeps to vanilla Doom pacing.
He said "nigger" in the code for Brutal Doom. He told a guy how to commit suicide on the Zdoom forums. And the guy is a big time drama queen faggot. When 2016 Doom was announced and game play trailers came out he was crying online about how ID stole his ideas. I've talked to a dev who did a video interview with him about getting him involved in one of their titles and it was a very awkward convo from what I was told. Also, the guy accidentally showed his collection of dead body photos during said interview.

He's basically another lolcow.

I assume you're aware of this?

• Informative
Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

c-no

Psalty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not exactly a mod, but the VtMB unofficial patch is pretty great.

Just restarted that game cause all the hype over the (possible) sequel, and yea. It certainly makes the experience a whole lot better.
I second this in motion. The plus content adds more stuff in, even if it might end up giving you additional xp that your character could end up overpowered but that shits all optional if one wanted basic. It also reminds me of the drama between its creator and a rival modder who was a complete and utter sperg that railed about the unofficial patch being some "bastardization" of Troika's vision, complete with some autistic death threat on the now dead planet vampire forum.
No, you disgusting little kraut bastard… we knew where they were BECAUSE WE HAVE PLAYED THE GAME AS LONG AS YOU HAVE. You FUCKING DISGUSTING MEGALOMANIACAL little NAZI. Do you honestly think you have some gifted knowledge of Bloodlines that NO ONE ELSE can POSSIBLY possess..? Wesp… if I were you, I would thank the gods that there is an entire ocean separating you from me right now. Be very, very thankful for that… you slimy, self-serving little piece of human garbage. If there is any justice in this world, then you will surely die of the most horrible disease known to mankind. I will pray for that in earnest. FUCK YOU, JUNIOR HITLER. Now shove it up your ass and rotate on it — the way you enjoy it most. The only liar here is YOU. Do you wanna know who the REAL thief is, Wesp..? Shall I tell you, scumbag..? YOU STOLE BLOODLINES — FROM EVERY SINGLE PLAYER OF THIS GAME ON THE PLANET WHO INSTALLED YOUR HORRIBLE, CHILDISHLY CONCEIVED and DISGUSTINGLY INAPPROPRIATE CONVERSION MODS. You, Wesp… YOU STOLE THEIR GAME FROM THEM. You STOLE IT from Troika, too. You STOLE IT from new players who did not know any better, and installed YOUR AMATEURISH CRAP — because they thought that it was an actual patch. YOU, WESP — YOU STOLE BLOODLINES FROM HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE, just so you could feed your post-adolescent ego, and your laughably silly dream that you will somehow get a career out of this idiocy.

I honestly hope you DIE… DIE… DIE, you disgusting little German SCHWEINHUND. Pray that you never meet me face-to-face, Werner. Fortunately, I don’t go to oppressive shitholes like Germany. I don’t like Nazis, drunks and faggots — the three things that Germany has contributed to the world in abundance. So I guess you’re safe, you slimy little piece of monkey shit. And that, dear Wesp, is my farewell to YOU PERSONALLY. I couldn’t miss this last opportunity to tell you how fond I am of you and your “work.” Hopefully, you will read this before it gets deleted — you masturbating, puny little kraut faggot.

For any fans of STALKER, I recommend the Call of Chernobyl mod for Call of Pripyat. It adds in a sandbox experience as a completely nameless STALKER with its own main quest, using maps from all three games as well as cut maps. The mod does have some fuck ups, like you being called Strelok at one point.

For a more hardcore version, @Reynard recommended me Dead Air. It's more or less Call of Chernobyl but with no storyline beyond just trying to see how long you can last in the Zone. It emphasizes survival that you'll have to make sure you get food from hunting mutants since normal food is much more expensive as well as making gun fights more tense due to making sure that with less ammo, you have to make every shot count.

Left 4 Dead 2 has a variety of mods so I'm just gonna be general and say this: download character models that conflict in tone. It helps make the adventure hilariously autistic like a bad fan-fic.

Shitassdeaddude

kiwifarms.net
Brutality goes a little too far and just has too much shit going on. Brutal Doom hits that neutral ground and it's still basically Doom. It's a pity that the guy who created Brutal Doom is a fucktard.

But yeah, Doom is pretty much the king of mods.

For some reason, I never got into Doom mods back when I bought Doom 2 on Windows 95. Probably because I couldn't get the damn thing to run. But when I bought Half-Life for $20 I played the shit out of every mod especially They Hunger 1 and 2 and some Western mod that I forget the name of. Best $20 I ever spent in my life.
And don't forget:

Cardenio

Cheese?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Give Me Deus Ex essentially takes an amazing but rough game and logically smoothes its many rough edges.

If the devs had had the chance to further patch the game I can't help but think it would have been absolutely close to what GMDX does. Guards even notice dead bodies now!

Also the creator has pretty much finished the mod and is now working on fixing up Unreal 1 with a mod called Unreal Evolution. So that's worth keeping an eye on.

Molo

Just to suffer
kiwifarms.net
I don't know if this counts but mb2 for Jedi academy is really good and makes the combat more tense adds more classes and lets you taunt using quotes from the prequels

Jmz_33

kiwifarms.net
I really enjoyed portal TWTM

It was short but sweet, and created a whole new game mechanic to mess around with. I recommend it to anyone who owns a copy of portal 2.

xr95

Chad Stallman movement
kiwifarms.net
MMod for Half-Life 2 is pretty good, along with Star Wars Interregnum mod for Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion

Smaug's Smokey Hole

dragron: the bruges tea soirée
kiwifarms.net
I assume you're aware of this?

I am not, I don't really play games anymore though I'm aware of other retro-shooters like Dusk and Ion Maiden. Aeon looks really cool even if the pace seems a bit slow, but that might just be that video. At first I was a bit disappointed that they only used point sampling(blocky textures) on the gun, but no, it's on everything. It seems like they do some texture filtering at a distance to avoid that ant hill effect and pixel crawl, that's a clever move to keep the graphics sharp. They seem to have done quite a lot to spruce up the Quake engine, the original had had a hard limit of something like 150 visible polygons of level geometry at once and they obviously use much more than that plus colored lighting. Unless they're using a modern fork?

Related to mods: Half-Life upped that to, I think, ~350 visible polygons(or shards I think they were called?) which while low wasn't a problem for the actual game but became a problem for some large and open maps of Counter-Strike. Really early Counter-Strike was pretty weird.

Tenebrae was a cool Quake mod, it was only a graphics mod but it threw in all the currently hot graphical features that the unreleased Doom 3 promised, it was also released before Half-Life 2 if I remember correctly, those were the two big games that promised to push the envelope and drive graphics forwards.

MuuMuu Bunnylips

I'm the greatest thing since World War 3.
kiwifarms.net
Not exactly a mod, but the VtMB unofficial patch is pretty great.

Just restarted that game cause all the hype over the (possible) sequel, and yea. It certainly makes the experience a whole lot better.
There are fewer things more horrifying than a female Nosferatu.

Just sayin'.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
Sonic 2XL

I am not much of a wrestling fan but there is a active modding community for the WWF No Mercy game for the N64, bringing classic and current wrestlers and rings to a classic game engine.

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
kiwifarms.net
Did anyone ever try the Warhammer Fallout mods? Could never get Fallout 3 working properly on my pooter.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino