Video Game Music -

Seahorses

More Green Than Whole Foods
kiwifarms.net
Where is this? Why is not here yet?

I like to listen to tunes from some of my favorite games here and there. I'm just gonna list one, tell you why, and maybe some of you would like to share some of your favorite tracks and the reasons why.

----
Ace Combat 4 - Megalith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ6ABV_Q9qU
----

Honestly, when I got my hands on Ace Combat 4, I was expecting nonsense. My father picked out, and since he didn't really have a good track record for video games (on top of the fact that I had not heard of any of the previous games in the series) I thought I was about to waste my time. Little did I know, right? Anyway, the game played spectacular, but I was drawn in by a great story (who would have thought that was going to be in a jet plane game) backed by a tremendous score. The music is great all over the place in the game. Action scenes, menu screens, replays, you name it. It doesn't stop here either, the sequels and portable games are a treat too.

Anyhow, this is the last level in the game. Spoiler alert I guess. By this point in the game you're a one plane wrecking crew.

Anchuent Christory

Socially Awesome and Cool.
kiwifarms.net
Seahorses said:
Where is this? Why is not here yet?

I like to listen to tunes from some of my favorite games here and there. I'm just gonna list one, tell you why, and maybe some of you would like to share some of your favorite tracks and the reasons why.

----
Ace Combat 4 - Megalith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ6ABV_Q9qU
----

Honestly, when I got my MANOS on Ace Combat 4, I was expecting nonsense. My father picked out, and since he didn't really have a good track record for video games (on top of the fact that I had not heard of any of the previous games in the series) I thought I was about to waste my time. Little did I know, right? Anyway, the game played spectacular, but I was drawn in by a great story (who would have thought that was going to be in a jet plane game) backed by a tremendous score. The music is great all over the place in the game. Action scenes, menu screens, replays, you name it. It doesn't stop here either, the sequels and portable games are a treat too.

Anyhow, this is the last level in the game. Spoiler alert I guess. By this point in the game you're a one plane wrecking crew.
I'm a fan of the Ace combat games (other than the most recent one) And they've always had almost unfittingly epic orchestral and choral soundtracks.

As for game music in general, I've been a fan for years. From the toe tapping chip-tunes of the 8 and 16 bit era, to the Sweeping orchestral scores that accompany today's blockbusters, there's some incredible talent in the industry.

To be honest, I could list favorite tunes forever, but I'll kick off with this one by Yasunori Mitsuda. It's called Time's Scar and it's from the PS1 game Chrono Cross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WA2B95RNRWU#t=0s

It still gives me goosebumps.

Male

This guy fucks!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bully has a kicking soundtrackl:
[youtube]Vbj1yauIISo[/youtube]
[youtube]xmqbIUa8RcA[/youtube]
[youtube]ubHwgz9vZWE[/youtube]
So does Gittaroo Man:
[youtube]qsA3DxeqtZ4[/youtube]
And let's not forget the DKC series:
[youtube]73n7HTcmb5g[/youtube]
[youtube]wYfrYto7BJg[/youtube]

Reactions: Konstantinos

Anchuent Christory

kiwifarms.net
For anybody into game music, especially from the chip generation era's I highly recommend you check out http://ocremix.org/

It's an entire community of game music enthusiasts who remix classic tunes and make them available for free download. It also has the original music from tons of games to.

Here's a cracking remix of Yuzo Koshiro's "Under Logic" from Streets of rage 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tfZbhdNknTo#t=0s

Anchuent Christory

kiwifarms.net
Asperchu_Super_Fan said:
To be honest, I could list favorite tunes forever, but I'll kick off with this one by Yasunori Mitsuda. It's called Time's Scar and it's from the PS1 game Chrono Cross.
What an amazing song. Brings back lots of memories... anything Chrono Trigger/Cross is amazing.

Another great one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoF2rBOn ... 21151A2C5E
I regularly re-play Chrono Trigger and I swear to god it gets better as time goes on. It comes from a time when they did more with less, and even though I could probably quote every line from the game, I still get involved with the story every time.

c-no

Psalty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If I'm going to share some good video game music here's some of my favorites from some of the games I played:

Armored Core 4 For Answer
Remember [youtube]Cl9FQIT-6iY[/youtube]

Precious Park [youtube]7ElGLHFTXEI[/youtube]

Dragon Dive [youtube]KfnrBfwP4hU[/youtube]

Digital Devil Saga

Hunting Compulsion [youtube]gO5n0Z0kOcg[/youtube]

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater

Snake Eater [youtube]9aHQnDTd1y4[/youtube]

Punch Out

Sandman Theme [youtube]db2SdsLWcaU[/youtube]

trip2themoon

Pleasant Conversationist.
kiwifarms.net
I don't count laser disc systems as video game music as it's just real music disked, bands and old tunes. Loved Roaring and Grandmaster on Strider, Stage 2 of Axelay and the clocktower of Castlevania 4. Chris Huelsbeck's stuff on the Amiga is astounding.

Anchuent Christory

kiwifarms.net
trip2themoon said:
I don't count laser disc systems as video game music as it's just real music disked, bands and old tunes. Loved Roaring and Grandmaster on Strider, Stage 2 of Axelay and the clocktower of Castlevania 4. Chris Huelsbeck's stuff on the Amiga is astounding.
Lots of the stuff from the Playstation/Saturn era was still chip generated as prerecorded stuff took up a lot of disc space. This is particularly impressive on the soundtrack to Chrono Cross because there are only two prerecorded tracks in the entire game, the intro that I posted earlier and the Credits. The rest of the music is of shockingly good quality for chip generated stuff.

Although I wholeheartedly agree that there was a definite shift in the "feel" of game music once prerecorded stuff became possible, but I think it's a little harsh to say that it doesn't count. It still has to be written, composed and arranged in the same way.. It just takes more people and effort to do so. In fact i believe it was common for many tracks to be written using instruments (particularly a piano) and then "downgraded" to its game format.

Here's a cracking video from Extra credits talking about the shift in game music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1SD5iMgsMNY#t=0s

And kudos for mentioning "bloody tears" from Calstelvania 4, that tune blew me away back in the early 90's

Smokedaddy

Finer than frogs' hair
Deceased
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Anchuent Christory said:
trip2themoon said:
Lots of the stuff from the Playstation/Saturn era was still chip generated as prerecorded stuff took up a lot of disc space. This is particularly impressive on the soundtrack to Chrono Cross because there are only two prerecorded tracks in the entire game, the intro that I posted earlier and the Credits. The rest of the music is of shockingly good quality for chip generated stuff.

Although I wholeheartedly agree that there was a definite shift in the "feel" of game music once prerecorded stuff became possible, but I think it's a little harsh to say that it doesn't count. It still has to be written, composed and arranged in the same way.. It just takes more people and effort to do so. In fact i believe it was common for many tracks to be written using instruments (particularly a piano) and then "downgraded" to its game format.

Here's a cracking video from Extra credits talking about the shift in game music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1SD5iMgsMNY#t=0s

And kudos for mentioning "bloody tears" from Calstelvania 4, that tune blew me away back in the early 90's
Many games on the original Playstation used recorded music, they just played it off the CD. That could only be done if the game didn't need to hit the CD for any data while the music played, but as people gradually got the architecture figured out you heard it more and more. The "chip" music, i.e. MIDI sequences, were an obvious fallback as it takes six bytes to turn a note on and off, as opposed to 44.1 kilobytes/sec to hear anything from the CD audio track.

The trend toward using "real" instruments for composition (as opposed to synths) is actually pretty new and still quite rare. A synth with some decent software will give you notes on paper as well as a play-backable editable sequence that can be ported to the target hardware with no work. Everybody uses synths, pretty much. The exception is orchestral scores.

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Re: Personal favorite vidya game music.

Tim Buckley said:
Myself for example, can never have enough of Zelda's masterpieces.

[youtube]Fwkjz-o-siM[/youtube]

[youtube]RxMjrLlZkCQ[/youtube]

[youtube]spIzhXxLWNY[/youtube]
If you'd just scrolled down a bit...

But yeah, I have to agree, the LoZ music is pretty great.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino