Video Game Music -

scorptatious

It only gets worse from here on in...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Killer7's soundtrack is great, it's so mysterious and very enchanting. I'm also playing Danganronpa for the first time and I couldn't help but notice that the music sounded very similar to another game and thanks to @Ride, I got the answer I was looking for. Anyways, Killer7, I don't even know what to describe it. Like said earlier, it's so mysterious, enchanting, very haunting but also very jazzy. And added with a lot of tension as the story unfolds, I also get reminded of the earlier Shin Megami Tensei games and Persona 1 (PSX version) and 2, and that's a good thing. :)

Personal favorites:

3. Blackburn - 3:09
4. Where Angels Play - 7:23
7. Election Plot - 13:06
9. Russian Roulette - 20:43
10. Geopolitics - 24:37
12. Back to the Light - 26:54
13. Vote Falsification - 28:46
16. Love - 33:49 ~ Hey @scorptatious is it safe to say that Love is just a couple synths away from being a SMT 3 dialogue BGM?
17. When the May Rain Comes - 35:08

I noticed that I'm going in order on all my favorite soundtracks but this whole soundtrack is absolutely awesome to listen to. I'm not that big into visual novels but the only reason why I'm going to keep playing Danganronpa is because of the soundtrack, and also the art style is very charming.
Can't say for sure but damn. I'll need to play Killer 7 at some point in my life.

soryu

Jerry Mouse
kiwifarms.net
I used to love the beach theme from Plok, I've grown to like this song as well.
Yuzo Koshiro makes me miss when they'd play trance music on the public radio every Friday night
I never realized how much I loved this soundtrack until recently. The guitars are solid.

Elysian

kiwifarms.net
This song from Muppets Party Cruise fucking slaps and anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong.

It baffles me that jazzy tunes like that can be on the same disc as...this

Bob Page

Electronic Old Gendo Ikari
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like how the first playable segment of the game starts with this number. Beautiful.

frozenrunner

I could really use the salt
kiwifarms.net
Anyone who likes video game music should look up the Redbull-funded documentary Diggin' in the Carts, a multi-part documentary (adding up to about an hour and a half) exploring video game music's evolution from the very beginning up through the 32-bit era when Redbook audio took over. (Note: make sure you turn on English captions.)

It's really, really good stuff... it's beautifully shot, and they have interviews with legends like Hip Tanaka, Yoko Shimomura, and Yuzo Koshiro. I'm only disappointed they couldn't get Koji Kondo, but they do talk about him.

Here's a YouTube playlist with all the episodes of the documentary. (At one point only four parts were available on YouTube while the rest were only on the Redbull Music Academy website. I guess that could happen again.)

And if you enjoy that, there was/is an internet radio show of the same name that can be found online. There have been two "seasons" of that, and I hope there's more. The format is different (the host plays a themed selection of tracks and interviews one game composer), but it's just as worthwhile.

If anyone is interested, I converted all the radio show streams into mp3s and can upload them somewhere for easy podcast listening. Just say the word.

Killer7's soundtrack is great, it's so mysterious and very enchanting. I'm also playing Danganronpa for the first time and I couldn't help but notice that the music sounded very similar to another game and thanks to @Ride, I got the answer I was looking for. Anyways, Killer7, I don't even know what to describe it. Like said earlier, it's so mysterious, enchanting, very haunting but also very jazzy. And added with a lot of tension as the story unfolds, I also get reminded of the earlier Shin Megami Tensei games and Persona 1 (PSX version) and 2, and that's a good thing. :)

Personal favorites:

3. Blackburn - 3:09
4. Where Angels Play - 7:23
7. Election Plot - 13:06
9. Russian Roulette - 20:43
10. Geopolitics - 24:37
12. Back to the Light - 26:54
13. Vote Falsification - 28:46
16. Love - 33:49 ~ Hey @scorptatious is it safe to say that Love is just a couple synths away from being a SMT 3 dialogue BGM?
17. When the May Rain Comes - 35:08

I noticed that I'm going in order on all my favorite soundtracks but this whole soundtrack is absolutely awesome to listen to. I'm not that big into visual novels but the only reason why I'm going to keep playing Danganronpa is because of the soundtrack, and also the art style is very charming.
If you're that crazy about the soundtrack, it's worth poking around on the game disc. There are a few versions of existing tracks and completely unused tracks buried in there.

EDIT: Here's a YouTube playlist with a lot of music not on the soundtrack. As far as I can tell at a glance it contains everything on the disc.

I have to download the Danganronpa soundtracks at some point. I have next to no interest in visual novels, but I love me some Takada.

Can't say for sure but damn. I'll need to play Killer 7 at some point in my life.
Everyone who loves unique, weird games should play Killer 7. I'm so glad it's on Steam now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: soryu

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Postal 1 had that really funny mid 90s dark humor going on but the loading screens and music were extremely disturbing to listen.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino