Video Game Questions - Game mechanics that leave you scratching your head

Deodar

gotcha, crouton
kiwifarms.net
If I picked up an object from an outdoors shop in Skyrim and I dropped it from a tremendous height, and it happened to land on someone and killed them (ie; if weapons+ etc., had weight) would the owner of the item (the merchant) be charged with murder? Isn't that just fucked up?
(to clarify, wouldn't he be guilty by reason that the item was in his inventory when it killed someone, so technically his property? the player didn't own the item, so there's no link)
As a bonus: what game mechanics leave you scratching your head? (ex; where do the coins go when mario hits them? what is the economy in the mushroom kingdom? why does agent 47 go to places in a suit if he's trying to be subtle? wouldn't that be out of place?)

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
For me it was metal gear solid V where you couldn't be a chopper gunner. You get that all upgraded and can't use it to fly around or use the guns and rockets yourself, what bullshit.

The Last Stand

O great auditor of the forums...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In some games, you are able to hold a lot of weapons in one person. Where are they holding them?

And I love regenerating health. Get shot a bunch of times, just wait a couple seconds and you're back. Fall damage is inconsistent from game to game. Sometimes you are able to survive a 4 foot leap, other times, a quick jump through a bridge and it's game over.

DarkWestern

Never don't give up.
kiwifarms.net
I always thought the Resident Evil games' puzzle items were too obvious. "Would you like to pick up the broken crank handle?" Fuck no, but because you asked, I'm sure it will open some random puzzle/door/box at some point later. I always thought it would be cool if they threw in a fuckload of pointless items like "broken mechanical pencil" or "bent spoon" just as clutter, and forced the player to actually consider the value and usability of what they grab up blindly just because the option to do so existed.

YourMommasBackstory

Gosh, I hope I’m safe it this suit!
kiwifarms.net
Portal's gun charge moves with a speed of light, approximetly (i checked it by counting time of charge flying to the moon). Also each time it shoots gun has a small kickback. That means that portal charge isn't heavy, but has some mass.
My questions are: what that mass is and how many energy are contained in one charge?
I can't play portal normally for 7 years because of that(

Sexy Senior Citizen

What's the big deal? It's called a fetish!
kiwifarms.net
You can collect about a million or so dollars in Pokemon games (actual amount is $999,999), with more wealth in items like Stardust and Nuggets. How do you not break the local economy by blowing it all at the local mart? Hell, why doesn't the local mart run out of merchandise?

Portal's gun charge moves with a speed of light, approximetly (i checked it by counting time of charge flying to the moon). Also each time it shoots gun has a small kickback. That means that portal charge isn't heavy, but has some mass.
My questions are: what that mass is and how many energy are contained in one charge?
I can't play portal normally for 7 years because of that(
Let me fuck with your mind even further.
"Energy" is frequently used as a nebulous term in science fiction and fantasy (like my other favorite term, "life force.") Scientifically, energy is produced as one of the following: kinetic, potential, elastic, chemical, radiant, and thermal. Portal guns (excuse me, Quantum Tunneling Devices) utilize miniature black holes to create their portals by separating the inner and outer event horizons from the black holes and pasting them to the portal surfaces. This means the energy contained within the portal gun is potential energy in the form of gravity exerted by the black hole.
Black holes, as supercondensed neutron stars, are incredibly small, but also unbelievably heavy (due to the incredible mass of a star being squashed into the size of a golf ball or smaller.) The smaller the black hole, the more powerful its gravitational pull. The gravitational force of the black hole powering the portal gun would cause most of the solar system to be sucked into the portal gun. Assuming that doesn't happen, the sheer mass of the black hole would make the gun impossible to lift (unless Chell is some kind of godlike entity on par with Shaggy) and throw the earth wildly off its orbit.
So to answer your question: the mass is that of a supercondensed neutron star. The energy per charge is about the same as that black hole's gravitational pull (so, enough energy to contain light).
Have fun with that.

• Winner
Reactions: Pissmaster

YourMommasBackstory

Gosh, I hope I’m safe it this suit!
kiwifarms.net
So to answer your question: the mass is that of a supercondensed neutron star. The energy per charge is about the same as that black hole's gravitational pull (so, enough energy to contain light).
Thats where my concerns are - kickback is very light for such masses. Chell doesnt have any safety devices on her arms, simular to her boots that save her legs from breaking.
With speed simular to light speed to have such small impulse charge's mass should be very small, i expexted nano/piko gramms if not smaller. Impulse from charging a mass of a neutron star would tear Chell apart, but in game she is totally fine.
(unless Chell is some kind of godlike entity on par with Shaggy
Tho thats sounds valid

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You can collect about a million or so dollars in Pokemon games (actual amount is $999,999), with more wealth in items like Stardust and Nuggets. How do you not break the local economy by blowing it all at the local mart? Hell, why doesn't the local mart run out of merchandise?

Let me fuck with your mind even further.
"Energy" is frequently used as a nebulous term in science fiction and fantasy (like my other favorite term, "life force.") Scientifically, energy is produced as one of the following: kinetic, potential, elastic, chemical, radiant, and thermal. Portal guns (excuse me, Quantum Tunneling Devices) utilize miniature black holes to create their portals by separating the inner and outer event horizons from the black holes and pasting them to the portal surfaces. This means the energy contained within the portal gun is potential energy in the form of gravity exerted by the black hole.
Black holes, as supercondensed neutron stars, are incredibly small, but also unbelievably heavy (due to the incredible mass of a star being squashed into the size of a golf ball or smaller.) The smaller the black hole, the more powerful its gravitational pull. The gravitational force of the black hole powering the portal gun would cause most of the solar system to be sucked into the portal gun. Assuming that doesn't happen, the sheer mass of the black hole would make the gun impossible to lift (unless Chell is some kind of godlike entity on par with Shaggy) and throw the earth wildly off its orbit.
Have fun with that.
Maybe the black hole in the portal gun is SUPER teeny tiny, but not tiny enough so it doesn't just explode into a bunch of nasty hawking radiation that would destroy all life on Earth. How small can a black hole even get before it falls apart?

It's cooled by a fan ffs

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Why do the red fares in Crazy Taxi need to hail a cab only just to go 50 metres to the Original Levi's® Store?

I'm out of shape yet I can walk that distance in less than a minute.

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
Of all possible animations, why is this what they went with for picking up items in the original Luigi's Mansion?

Longplay_of_Luigi's_Mansion (1).gif

Tags
None